Hello, ladies and gentlemen!
Welcome to the main topic of the reconstructed global Winter Mod!
In winter 2010 there was a topic on ru forums, where ppl. reskinned the main maps of world of tanks into a winter theme. While World of Tanks was still a very young project , and modders and methods of reworking the maps were not available - skins and crosshairs were the only thing manageable. Players were also not spoiled by today's more complex mods and any little thing attracted a lot of attention from the community.
A handful of people tried to keep this old mod working through another year, but there were more bugs and problems until it finally died out.
Torsys_ on Ru forums felt sad about it. But not anymore - because today he is announcing and launching the beta version of the new winter mod! It is much more advanced, complex and beautiful and safe to say, one of the biggest modding projects ever made until now.
I suggest you take a look at the screens below:
And those only show a very small fraction of the content. In fact, you will find in the beta version of the mod :
- Full rework of all the maps
- Full rework of environment
- Added weather conditions - snow and blizzards
- Changed all the camouflage to winter
- Changed the texture of tracks and tank shells with snow.
- Changed textures of destroyed tanks
- Changed hangar
- Changed the User Interface
- Changed the loading screen
- Added a Christmas tree instead of flagpoles in bases
(2.6 GB at the moment...I said it was massive!)
For those wanting only the GUI and hangar:
.Now let's talk about performance. Well first - the mod is for use on machines that can comfortably pull medium, high and maximum settings, with improved graphics.
Moreover, improved graphics option is a must - I cannot tell what standard graphics will look like.
Expect a 1 to 15% drop in FPS on maps with snowfall. If your PC is not able to display the snow without a critical drop in FPS - delete the particles folder mod.
In the case where your PC is able to almost pull the snow, you might want to slightly raise the FPS. Go to the folder C:\Games\World_of_Tanks\res_mods\0.8.9\particles\Environment\snow and open the XML file with Notepad. Adjust < rate_> 1100.000000 </rate_ > - which is in charge of the amount of snowflakes generated per second. For example putting 500.000000 - you set the generation of 500 snowflakes per second.
It is also likely to slow down the loading of maps because of the large number of changed files. I highly recommend that before you run a game, you should run some replays on Steppes, Karelia, Redfield, Himmelsdorf or Ensk - for the performance test.
Oh, and now I will end on the boring and move on to the gratitude. ;)
Torsys_ wants to thank these people from his heart:
- Players Niurko, Komtur - for consultation in the process.
- Player Locastan for processing the graphical interface to a range of cold blue colors.
- Player Anriller for writing programs to redraw the destroyed tank textures.
- Player CRANE for advertising and informational support.
- Player SashaBAANG for advertising, creating videos and informational support.
- Development of beta took 3 months, an average of 3 hours a day.
- 3094 DDS textures were redrawn
- He had zero idea about the development for weather conditions
- Work on the mod was started a year ago
Edited by locastan, 25 November 2013 - 08:19 AM.