The Lorraine feeling

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
127 replies to this topic

LostSpider #21 Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 24421 battles
I have a Type 59, now with the new skills my favorite tactic against AMX 13/90 is to ram them at fast speed going down hill and finishing them with one shot, I have the new skill that gives you +15% ramming damage (while geting 15% less damage).

I couldn't do this before 7.2.

CaptainMastiff #22 Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 26160 battles
  • [B-TEC] B-TEC

View PostGameBanger, on 31 March 2012 - 07:38 AM, said:

I have to wait for the gun to aim.

:Smile_great:

Gloris #23 Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 19748 battles
Are you guys seriously complaining about you'r gun having to aim, and that you cannot shoot someone 6 times before he can react anymore but just 3 times?    :rolleyes:

i take the downvotes as a "yes we are"

GameBanger #24 Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 57669 battles

View PostGloris, on 02 April 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

Are you guys seriously complaining about you'r gun having to aim, and that you cannot shoot someone 6 times before he can react anymore but just 3 times?    :rolleyes:

Tier 8
Caliber: 100 mm
Accuracy: 0.36
Aim time: 3

The only other tank that has something similar to Lorraine is Panther 2. But, that tank has some armor.

GameBanger #25 Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 57669 battles

View PostLostSpider, on 02 April 2012 - 04:50 PM, said:

I have a Type 59, now with the new skills my favorite tactic against AMX 13/90 is to ram them at fast speed going down hill and finishing them with one shot, I have the new skill that gives you +15% ramming damage (while geting 15% less damage).

I couldn't do this before 7.2.

Posted Image Controlled Impact - Driver     Decreases ramming damage to your vehicle and  increases ramming damage to an enemy vehicle by 0.15% per training level  (up to 15%). The skill only applies when both vehicles are in motion,  and never affects allies.

ulcusrodens #26 Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11474 battles

View PostGameBanger, on 02 April 2012 - 04:36 PM, said:

I can see from your profile that you've played some French tanks. But, the highest one is AMX 13 75. Not the Lorraine, nor the Bat Chatillon.

Keep in mind that the French tanks, as it has been said many times before, don't have any armor. That means that a hole lot of shots will penetrate them, and do full damage. I.e. A shells damage that ranges from 300 to 500, will almost always do a damage of 450 to 500.

The nerf that they've done, basically has almost taken everything that gave the Lorraine (and some others) it's edge. Right now, it's main edge, is that it can drive away when it has to reload. And that is a long reload. There is also the accuracy and aim time that has also been nerfed, 50 h.p. has been removed, among others.

yes, armour is poor, but tends to absorb damage much more than its actual thickness would suggest... and you're right, i've never driven french mediums (well, not yet, at least), but i've found myself enough times under a shower of shells, dying before i could even hit my opponent, to know how unbalanced can be a close encounter with a bat chat or (much less, honestly) a lorraine. i'm not saying that they're easy to use,just that they were (are?) too powerful to go against 1vs1 (that by the way is the only way to confront tanks)

GameBanger #27 Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 57669 battles

View Postdheim, on 02 April 2012 - 06:00 PM, said:

yes, armour is poor, but tends to absorb damage much more than its actual thickness would suggest... and you're right, i've never driven french mediums (well, not yet, at least), but i've found myself enough times under a shower of shells, dying before i could even hit my opponent, to know how unbalanced can be a close encounter with a bat chat or (much less, honestly) a lorraine. i'm not saying that they're easy to use,just that they were (are?) too powerful to go against 1vs1 (that by the way is the only way to confront tanks)

I fully understand that one on one it will become (or was) very hard to defeat a Lorraine or a Bat Chatillon. I don't only play French tanks. But, I know their weakness. One of them, is the same for all tanks in game. Their tracks... Yes, something that easy flies over many peoples heads (at least in my experience). That is why I always try to shoot the track off of enemy tanks. And you what? It's the same thing for every one. Once a pinned tank, odds favor a dead tank.

Even before the patch I never went out alone in the Lorraine. The profile of the tank makes sure that every shot the enemy takes, hits. It's been very rare to see some one miss the tank. However, I do agree that the Bat Chatillon, may have been a bit on the overpowered side, when facing it. But, I'm basing this on when I played it on the test server a while back, and played against them in normal server. But, I haven't heard from anyone on this post regarding it's change, so I'm guessing that it's still fine or fine-ish.

DlRT #28 Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 33847 battles
  • [N-L-G] N-L-G
They increased the fun factor of all tanks by decreasing the "fun factor" (=overpowerness) of the Lorraine.

PS.:I know it's dangerous to call a tank overpowered in it's topic.You might be negraped easily.

Perscienter #29 Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7427 battles

View Postdheim, on 02 April 2012 - 02:47 PM, said:

honestly, raging because an utterly OP tank has been somewhat reduced to a more "normal" one, with its strengths and weaknessess, is pointless. french tanks were an experiment gone wrong, because they crashed the balance. now devs are slowly fixing the problem... just adapt. it happened to t54s as well, at their introduction they were practically invincible!
No one should care about random team balance. There is such a game mode in other titles, and it's often called random team. In fact it's one of the most chaotic ones, only for entertainment reasons.

If there was more competitive play between clans in a major league for instance, I'm sure the players would find a way to counter the hostile team's Lorraine's (the old ones, without nerf).

Currently, even small light tanks try to circle the Lorraine, because of the nerfed traversion. And it's hard to get a third shot at a hostile vehicles without being hit twice.

TOMACHINE #30 Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 10363 battles
Yes it feels different, the "fun factor" is gone for sure.
In hands of good player it's still a great tank, but in my opinion focus nerf was a bit to much for this tank. You can't pick-a-boo around the corner as effective as pre patch, i think more and more people will start to camp with it. Shame, WG shouldn't hit it with nerf hammer so hard, it wasn't OP in first place.

Fruzzle #31 Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:58 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 7344 battles
I switched back to the 90mm. The tank still works for me but the 'feel' is gone for sure.

Lorraine, 1390 and BatChat might have been a little OP but man did they go overboard.

I thought Lorraine was good, 1390 was OP (but than it does count as a t8) BatChat was probably OP as well but I never played it. I do think it made my patton obsolete.

DlRT #32 Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 33847 battles
  • [N-L-G] N-L-G
Lorraine drivers-English dictionary:

"feel"=overpowerness
"fun factor"=overpowerness
"fun"=overpowered
"[in hands of] good players"=anyone

Seriously guys, I have an AMX 13 90 but I don't play it because I feel sorry for the tier 8 tanks I kill with it in 10 seconds and then go back to reload.It's so overpowered I can't play it.And I know the Lorraine was overpowered too.I wouldn't like to say anything about the batcheat.

kymrel #33 Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32815 battles
I have an elite Lorraine, about 35k XP away from the dreaded Batmobile. I've played most other medium tanks in the game up to tier 9 (only missing E-50, haven't got the cash to try that out just yet). To me it is fairly obvious that the french auto-loader tanks are a failed experiment from WoT. They are having a very hard time balancing them.

Originally the lack of armour was to be their biggest flaw. But as anyone who has played medium tanks (or most US heavy tanks) can tell you it really isn't about the armour as much as it is about the HP. Medium tanks tend to be penetrated easily by most of the tanks they face, although many can bounce shots from meds one tier lower or heavies 2 tiers lower. The conclusion is clear. The lack of armour is a common problem all medium tanks share, and hardly makes the french that unique. Now add the increased speed, auto-loader and increased penetration to the equation on the French side. Add the fact that apart from the Lorraine the french light/meds are smaller than other tanks (thus harder to hit, especially at high-speed). Now you can start to see the problem.

I am not surprised the developers nerfed the French tanks. Frankly most people saw that coming. I think my Lorraine is still a pretty good tank. It might be slightly less good than it was before, but if I was coming fresh to the tank I think I would be pretty happy with it.

Perhaps the drivers of the French tanks need to do the exact same thing they said others had to do when the French tanks were introduced: Adapt to the change and learn how to play the tanks in this changed environment.  :Smile-hiding:

mach82 #34 Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 12798 battles
@ Dirt007

it's not as easy as you're describing. Killing a tier 8 in 15 secs (definitely not in 10!) is only possible when you're 1 on1 and you're lucky enough not to encounter the so-often critical hit with zero damage. If your opponent is 100% healthy, you can only kill him when setting him on fire, because 1440HPs damage output is usually not enough to kill a tier 8 heavy and tier 8 meds will move fast enough not to let you deal full damage (meds will bounce at least 2 shots and then will kill you dead).

I love killing AMX 13 90s with my T-44 just get close to AMX 13 90 - the front  armour will bounce most shells, while the turrent will bounce everything.

The best strategy for French revolvers fighting against well armoured targets: detrack->4 shells in the rear/side->detrack->escape (or the 6th shell also in the rear/side if you are 100% that the last shell will kill the enemy).

Catarraz #35 Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13332 battles
Seriously, do you all realize no tank is supposed to have such an enormous "edge" over every single other? Yes they have no armour, but seem to have enough hitpoints to compensate for that. I do however realize that an HP nerf would have been enough. And I can still imagine ppl getting angry because of that.
Anyone who has faced enough french tanks knows that what is being said here basically is "I can't easily pwn everyone anymore".

Right now, french tanks make too much of a difference on the battlefield. I realized this ever sice that game we lost 15-5 in westfield where the enemy team had 6 french and we had 2.

mach82 #36 Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 12798 battles

View PostUMM, on 03 April 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

Seriously, do you all realize no tank is supposed to have such an enormous "edge" over every single other? Yes they have no armour, but seem to have enough hitpoints to compensate for that. I do however realize that an HP nerf would have been enough. And I can still imagine ppl getting angry because of that.
Anyone who has faced enough french tanks knows that what is being said here basically is "I can't easily pwn everyone anymore".

Right now, french tanks make too much of a difference on the battlefield. I realized this ever sice that game we lost 15-5 in westfield where the enemy team had 6 french and we had 2.
French tanks are only good in good hands. In case of average/below average players driving French tanks, they really die easily. French revolvers are very difficult to play. When you have a tier 8 French heavy (or tier 6+ light/med), you'll see it yourself.

Mr_Sukebe #37 Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

Major

• Player
  • 32377 battles
  • [ZOLO] ZOLO
Well I've already changed my playstyle.  MUCH more cautious now as the critical hit damage seems to be substantially worse.

So my typical style is now:
- Snipe from cover to start with.  At least the French guns are pretty accurate, despite the ROF/min is actually worse than most equivalent mediums.  (e.g. to fire 6 rounds from a Lorry, THEN reload now takes 70 seconds.  In that time a Panther with 88/71 would have fired approx 9 rounds).
- Respond to enemy attacks (at least the Lorry is fast to reposition), allowing you to help defenders who are struggling
- Take advantage of holes in enemy defences (e.g. drove past the main enemy heavy attack on Ruinville yesterday in my AMX at the 5 min mark and wiped up both of their arty)

In short, stay away from mass combat (usually leads to a VERY short lifespan), snipe from cover, then vulture attack solo/damaged tanks.

kymrel #38 Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32815 battles
You are describing my ideal playstyle with the Lorraine. Start the game playing very cautiously, sniping a bit while the battle line forms, then rushing to the point where I think I'll be most useful, unload hell and get out again. Then rinse and repeat. Of course sometimes I get frustrated and rush without enough support to some point, meet a group of enemies and get killed in short order  :rolleyes:

InYourBallz #39 Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19907 battles
  • [B2U] B2U
I had fun before patch with lorraine but now no fun and it sucks to me... :/

Chernobyl_Kinsman #40 Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 9626 battles
Well, if you can only have fun by being OP, then I understand your complaints.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users