M4 and new patch

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

Gibbo #1 Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Before the HE nerf  I really love M4 with 105, one of my favorite tank, after the nerf I stop playing it but decided to wait for better time. I was thinking to start using it again and I am wondering if after the last patch the mighty 105 can be use again. It’s still useless or it returned to its past glories? Someone had tried it after patch 7.2? Please do not answer to use another weapon I love the 105 and I will use again M4 only if the union M4-105 it’s useful again.
Thanks for the answers :Smile_honoring:

Reyni #2 Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
I don't have this tank for long. I played it though before the nerf and even after it and still liked it.
I only got to play a few games with M4 and 105 gun since 7.2, and I can say I one-shot some tier 3-4 tanks and did around 100-200 dmg on heavy tanks.
But I wouldn't say this is accurate because, I repeat, I only played very few games since patch 7.2, so just try it yourself. More fun than KV, even if you don't get to kill half of the team :P

Addi64 #3 Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostGibbo, on 03 April 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

Before the HE nerf  I really love M4 with 105, one of my favorite tank, after the nerf I stop playing it but decided to wait for better time. I was thinking to start using it again and I am wondering if after the last patch the mighty 105 can be use again. It’s still useless or it returned to its past glories? Someone had tried it after patch 7.2? Please do not answer to use another weapon I love the 105 and I will use again M4 only if the union M4-105 it’s useful again.
Thanks for the answers :Smile_honoring:

I tried it on the E8 for 2 matches and could not really see a change to 7.1 ... went back to the needlecannon afterwards.

It is hard to compare since the integrated OTM doesn't show the exact damage dealt over the tank, but I think it was hardly over 150 per shot.

The 105 still has too many drawbacks to chose it over the needlecannon ... and I was a big fan of the 105 on any tank before the HE nerf. I even used it on the Pershing.

So I think you can still leave the M4 with the 105 in the garage. It is not really worth it

Lolwut #4 Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
I've tried using 105mm HE on my Jumbo, but wasn't impressed, couldn't really tell the difference between this and last patch.

I just played a few games, but my average damage was very low, always ranging from 70 to 130.

Heck, I even hit a T-50 flank expecting it to blow... 70 dmg T_T
Couldn't penetrate AMX75s on multiple occasions.

Maybe it performs a bit better against heavies... I shot an E75 on its front plate and dealt 1 dmg instead of dinging . . .  :lol:

Gibbo #5 Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostKampfiltis, on 03 April 2012 - 11:05 AM, said:

I tried it on the E8 for 2 matches and could not really see a change to 7.1 ... went back to the needlecannon afterwards.

It is hard to compare since the integrated OTM doesn't show the exact damage dealt over the tank, but I think it was hardly over 150 per shot.

The 105 still has too many drawbacks to chose it over the needlecannon ... and I was a big fan of the 105 on any tank before the HE nerf. I even used it on the Pershing.

So I think you can still leave the M4 with the 105 in the garage. It is not really worth it

View PostLolwut, on 03 April 2012 - 11:27 AM, said:

I've tried using 105mm HE on my Jumbo, but wasn't impressed, couldn't really tell the difference between this and last patch.

I just played a few games, but my average damage was very low, always ranging from 70 to 130.

Heck, I even hit a T-50 flank expecting it to blow... 70 dmg T_T
Couldn't penetrate AMX75s on multiple occasions.

Maybe it performs a bit better against heavies... I shot an E75 on its front plate and dealt 1 dmg instead of dinging . . .  :lol:

Ok it is still useless :(
It will stay in garage garege waiting for a miracle

Destripaterrones #6 Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
The 105 on the tier V M4 Sherman is something to fear, and oneshotting PzIVs never gets old. It was my main tank on the NA server, both Closed Beta and after release, and I can tell you the HE buff has made this thing almost the beast it was back in beta.

Very fun, and farms well.

Private_Miros #7 Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Just played a game: 6 shots ( 1 on T34, 2 on KV) - 1135 damage - 3 one shot kills (T28, T49 and Pz38Na).

:Smile-izmena:

Gibbo #8 Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
After 5 matchs i must admit that it in same is way batter that before. I need more game but maybe M4 long sleep has reach to an end!

FailBrigade #9 Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
i like playing the m4 and 105 is still effective but went with the 75mm as more accurate over long ranges

Togg #10 Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Just played my first match in the m4 since 7.2 hit... and I was top tiered but still! It was bloody fun to one shot 3 tanks in that game from 100% hp ;)

I'm going to have to play some more games, but based on the slightly more effect on HE rounds I fired with other tanks I think it should be more useful than it was before the patch. I never gave up on it before even, it just hasn't received much focus with so many tanks to choose from.

Rallye #11 Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles
Last week I got the M4 to give it a try. Didn't play much on the US-trees, so I kinda ignored the shermans.
On the forums I read thet the 105mm gun was good fun, so I researched the tracks, engines and got the 105mm with standard HE. I don't know if it got worse after the patch, because I didn't play it before, but I can tell you that the M4 in this setting is a beast! It's capable to one-shot a lot of tanks and it's capable of doing serious damage on higher Tiers. Great advantage for me is that it's still a quite agile tank. I like it far over the sluggish KV with the 152mm derpgun!

sp0q #12 Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Yep, 105mm works like a charm, one-shotting tanks up to 5th tier.

ChewieJ #13 Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Haven't tried it yet, but have noticed that perhaps the M4's aren't making as much credits as before.

Or is it just me?

Kurik #14 Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:32 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
I recently grinded through the M4 using the 105mm gun, and after the patch, my performance went flying up like a rocket. Before the patch, I felt it was a piece of crap, but after 7.2 the 105mm gun actually has some punch. My average damage & XP per match doubled. I think part of it was down to playstyle improvement (figured out the M4 just plain does not have the armor or speed to survive up close), but still, I'd say the HE buff is definitely helping.

View PostChewieJ, on 06 April 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

Haven't tried it yet, but have noticed that perhaps the M4's aren't making as much credits as before.

Or is it just me?
That's correct. The M4's credit income was nerfed by 8% in 7.2, see the patch notes here.

Brakladdad #15 Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles
Hey man! I'd say that you start trollin' with your sherman again :Smile-playing: Just take a look at my score in this match! Shoot out all thier arty and helped my fellow Tiger when he was in danger. Just love this damn tank! :)         
(My crew is 100%+IVC2+Brothers in arms at 100%)

To all other Howitzer Shermans, Keep facerollin those bastards!!  :Smile-izmena:

Attached Files

Ksielvin #16 Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
The derp works very well for the M4 Sherman in 7.2.

I played almost 150 matches using the M1A1 and just couldn't really get better than 45% win ratio. This is despite playing several tanks I didn't really care for like T-46 and M2 MT until reaching 50%. (M3 Lee somehow lucked to 60%.) My favored tanks do better of course. But I just couldn't crack the Sherman even though it had already taught me to look for hull down positions and despite sniping quite happily with the T-28 at one tier below. I did not want to get the derp gun because I had heard how weak HE was in 7.1, and because I valued the "reliable" penetration and didn't want the inaccuracy. I feared the derp would force me to approach for close combat in an armorless tank.

Well after only 20ish games with the 105mm I'm certainly a convert. I know I'll at the very least make the 50% and I might even keep the tank like I originally intended. Crew was already high skilled when I switched to derp (trained them all to 75% originally) but isn't 100% on primary skill yet. Looking into equipment when they're next on sale.

Here's how I would now identify the issues with the M1A1, which I originally expected to be a reasonable 1 tier upgrade to ZiS-4 that I use on the T-28:
  - The reload is a little too long. I want to take 2 shots with high ROF guns before dodging behind hard cover. I'm used to having 20-30 ROF. The 15 gets me dead before or during the second shot because enemies have reacted to me losing my soft cover (or peeking over hill). So I cannot effectively use the ROF despite it being double that of the 105mm. I might try again with 100% crew and a rammer, later.
- The tier 4 matchmaking puts you against some very high health tanks! Even with good penetration the fear factor just isn't there if you're plinking less than a tenth of their health. Your position gets rushed and you can't deal with that. One good shot with the derp on the lead tank of a 3 tank group and they might all dive for cover, their push stalled by 1 tank. You NEED the ability to make enemies hesitate.

The accuracy of the 105mm hasn't been as bad as I feared. I'm quite used to sniping with medium to low accuracy weapons of early tiers anyway. You miss some more but then the tank you were shooting didn't get notified about getting shot or about your direction, unlike with a bounce. And you deal really low damage some of the time but again, at least they aren't non-penetrating shots. The 1-hit kills on lower tier tanks or arty/TD are helpful in denying enemies information and saving you from taking some return fire - both from the target and his friends since you can now hide after securing the kill.

In one match I had low hp when I turned a corner to find an arty waiting for me maybe 100 meters away - and I 1-shot it with the derp before it could do the same to me. 2 shots for sure with the M1A1. :P

In another match I shot a higher tier heavy while standing next to him with low hp and killed myself. I had not realized HE ammo did that.

EDIT:

At 195 matches I reached 50% win ratio after about 48 matches using the 105mm gun. Pretending this is enough games to be statistically significant, that would mean 65% win ratio with the derp gun after 45% wins with M1A1. :)

(No, I don't really expect to reach actual 65% win ratio with Sherman as I keep playing it. But one can dream!)

Ksielvin #17 Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostKsielvin, on 08 April 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

At 195 matches I reached 50% win ratio after about 48 matches using the 105mm gun. Pretending this is enough games to be statistically significant, that would mean 65% win ratio with the derp gun after 45% wins with M1A1. :)

(No, I don't really expect to reach actual 65% win ratio with Sherman as I keep playing it. But one can dream!)
I have now played as many matches with the 105mm as I did with the M1A1: 147. Sherman is my most played tank now. My win ratio with the derp is 59% so far. So eventually this tank will pass my global win ratio and become a net success hehe.

Private_Miros #18 Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:59 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Victory!
Battle: Ensk vrijdag 13 april 2012 22:52:36
Vehicle: M4 Sherman
Experience received: 1.121
Credits received: 24.911
Battle Achievements: Mastery Badge: Ace Tanker, Master Gunner, Sharpshooter, Sniper, Top Gun

I love the derp!