Recommended book - Tankmen by Robert Kershaw

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

wanger #1 Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9070 battles
Hi there. Ive just finished a book i thought id share with the community. Its called tankmen and its a factual account of tank crews through ww2 aswell as an indepth look at tank design from the british, germans, US and Russians. The book in parts is very graphic as a large amount of it is tank veteran interviews. Ive copied a selection of text from the north african desert campaign that i found rather sobering. Its an account of a british crew being hit by a panzer division.

"Slumped casualties and twisted metal from the physical geography of the confined space inside the tank. Smoke would hinder visibility, choking and smarting eyes. Joly continued:

The shot had penetrated the front of the turret just infront of King, the loader. It had twisted the machine gun out of its mounting. It, or a jagged piece of the torn turret had then hit the round that King had been holding ready- had set it on fire. The explosion had wrecked the wireless, torn King's head and shoulders from the rest of his body and started a fire among the machine gun boxes stowed on the floor. Smoke and the acrid fumes of cordite filled the turret."

Joly's gunner, totally shaken and losing self-control, urged him to get out. While the commander was still in a state of shock and blocking the way. As they called to the driver to bail out, another round slammed into the front of the now stationery and vulnerable tank, tearing his chest wide open. Two of them got out, with the gunner attempting to claw his way past the commander, and restricted by the tangled wreckage around them."

The book is a must read for anyone interested in tanks and the men that drove them

punishersal #2 Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

Mēneša cilvēks, marts 2012

• Player
  • 17698 battles
Hmm, looks interesting. Will check it out after I finish Rommel Papers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users