Military Parade....Is it appropriate?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
98 replies to this topic

Karl_Rosman #81 Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15576 battles
  • [SISE] SISE
C'mon, you should switch your router off, there are many things on the internet that can offend such small mind...
Keep it simple, don't try to think it through. Just play the game and relax.
USSR is not coming back, your dreams will not be raped.

:D

FreakDC #82 Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 6000 battles

View PostKellomies, on 07 May 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

[/left]
Uh, no. That's not how it went. At all. GJ swallowing the version the Nazis peddled hook line and sinker, though.

Militaries have few other ways to publicly celebrate than parades, which incidentally AFAIK have their roots in Medieval or even older reviews of communal military readiness. They also cost kind of peanuts relative to the yearly running costs of a national military, so eh.
http://en.wikipedia....Weimar_Republic
The main if not only cause of the crazy inflation was the insane amount of money they demanded in reparations.

"But the "London ultimatum" in May 1921 demanded reparations in gold or foreign currency to be paid in annual installments of 2,000,000,000 (2 billion) goldmarks plus 26 percent of the value of Germany's exports."
"The total reparations demanded was 132,000,000,000 (132 billion) goldmarks which was far more than the total German gold and foreign exchange."
That's not nazi propaganda that's common knowledge. That sum was acutely just fully paid some years ago in 2010.
Today these numbers might not seem like that much, but at that time it was more than any country at that time could come up with.

The (western) world learnt from this mistake and thank god after the second world war the US helped rebuild Europe and not at the expense of the defeated.
http://en.wikipedia....i/Marshall_plan

But back to topic:
Parading 20,000 marching troops and tens of thousands of tons of tanks and mechanized units around costs millions and millions and glorifies military and by extend war.
Military parades are far older then medieval times, in ancient Rome and even Egypt Warlords got rewarded with parades for conquering territory or looting exceptional treasures.
Parades were also common in occupied cities as a show of superiority and to mock the defeated.
Like the Nazis did in Paris and Vienna or together with the Russians in Brest-Litovsk or the Russians did in Berlin after WW2.

What I think is sad that we are not celebrating the end of bloodshed and war but the focus is on a military show of force and victory. "Special Offer: Military Parade"
Sometimes war might be necessary but it should only be the last resort to restore peace not a glorious way to boost your ego or expand your wealth/power.

What I remember today is the beginning of the longest peace period in Europe since the "forced" Pax Romana in the 1st and 2nd centuries AD.

Rhaegar #83 Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:36 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2551 battles
Whatever, I get cheaper tanks, the reason doesn't bother me. If you have an issue with it, or with WG as a company, then don't play their game.

Edited by Rhaegar, 07 May 2012 - 05:36 PM.

DarkPayload #84 Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:36 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9345 battles
Maybe they should just call it "hi-guys-cheap-tanks-and-consumables-4-u-today-day" to please everybody.

NorrisKakkonen #85 Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 30096 battles
1. Make players invest a lot of time and money to the game.
2. Pour in communist propaganda.
3. If someone complains then "lol play something else".

WG is a Belarussian company. Belarussia is the last European dictatorship and Belarussia was part of the Soviet Union. Now how naive some people are if they don't see what WG is doing.

Have you ever wondered why WG treats its customers the way it does?

Kellomies #86 Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 15159 battles
Impeccable reasoning!!

Krizmuz #87 Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9031 battles
This is like the most stupid thread ever.

Talonite #88 Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8127 battles
I don't think any of the regimes involved in WW2 went there for glorious reasons, including the hypocrite Western Powers.
If anyone should be remembered this day it's the fallen soldiers of all sides, being made believe they would fight for something noble, being turned into cannon-fodder instead and nowadays getting reviewed and criticised by people playing tank games over the internet.

Edited by Talonite, 07 May 2012 - 08:49 PM.

ZeZergling #89 Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
It's pretty simple; some people still have hard feelings about the USSR that have been bought up by reference to the Soviet Military Parades.

And this thread has largely devolved into a trollfest due to other people wanting to deny people the right to have those hard feelings.

Animistic #90 Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:23 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 22024 battles
  • [EFE] EFE
Military Parade doesn't seem any less appropriate occasion for special than some bloody battle. I mean atleast on parades, you just show off. The usual specials we celebrate and get discounts from, are about bloodbaths and massive loss of human lives in actual fighting. And in the end this is videogame about war, if you really wanna get that politically correct then even that would be bad and we should all just play World of Pacifists, Hello Kitty Online or something like that instead.

View PostDongfeng_division, on 07 May 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

Actually, comrade Mao, whom even Kissinger respects, was a brilliant tactician who considered himself a philosopher-king.
On the other hand you're just a brainwashed western critic.

Don't bother us with your classifications of good and evil. I am not Christian so I dunnot care. I am here to play the game, and when I'll want to read brainwashed comments from ignorant or spiteful westerners I'll open CNN.

That's pure comedy gold. Philsopher-King eh? And you calling us brainwashed.

Mao was so brilliant, that when he decided to modernize agriculture and society result was:
"Estimates of the death toll range from 18 million to 45 million"
during Great Leap Forward to starvation and systematic violence.

Mao was also so brilliant, that when he thought culture could use some finetuning, he pretty much ended up destroying any signs of culture and degrading society down to level of overly fanatic violent mob behaviour and rampage:
"Millions of people were persecuted in the violent factional struggles that ensued across the country, and suffered a wide range of abuses including public humiliation, arbitrary imprisonment, torture, sustained harassment, and seizure of property. A large segment of the population was forcibly displaced, most notably the transfer of urban youth to rural regions during the Down to the Countryside Movement. Historical relics and artifacts were destroyed. Cultural and religious sites were ransacked."
during Cultural Revolution

Mao is straight up there TOP 10 of biggest killers of humans in history through ignorance and fanatism, and he managed to do it all to his own people, during peacetime.

Orree #91 Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

Warrant Officer

• Veteran
  • 14297 battles
  • [RAWR] RAWR

View Postdeamy, on 07 May 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

As I posted in a similar thread last time this was up for discussion, I think events should focus on historical battles, not political events.

In the first two weeks of may we have:

Battle of France & the low countries, 1940.

Battle of Monte Cassino, 1944.

Second battle of Kharkov, 1942.

It's not like there's a lack of content...

I agree.  At the very least, the special events based upon historical events should perhaps have a more somber/solemn tone to them and be more commemorative than celebrative.

I'm not incredibly bothered by this stuff, but I can certainly see how some might take offense.

Edited by Orree, 07 May 2012 - 10:43 PM.

Reaper171 #92 Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:59 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 4789 battles

View PostCostarring, on 07 May 2012 - 08:32 AM, said:

Nope.avi...

I am Dutch, and in the Netherlands we have 2 days. 4th of may is our "Remembrance day" on which we remember our casualties (also casualties of peacekeeper missions etc. moder victims) and on the 5th of may we have our "Liberation Day" (with a parade which is still visited by many international veterans who fought for my country).

So it is not strictly a Russian thing (and no, Netherlands was never a part of PACT...)

P.S. The ONLY evil nuclear country in the world is the U.S.A.
They used 2...

Killing people isnt Evil, true evil is making people suffer, and you find it in every day life, 90% of players in WoT are evil, they make me suffer with their stupidity :(

tigerstreak #93 Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:04 AM

Colonel

• Beta Tester
  • 24597 battles
  • [BL33T] BL33T

View PostCostarring, on 07 May 2012 - 08:32 AM, said:

Nope.avi...

I am Dutch, and in the Netherlands we have 2 days. 4th of may is our "Remembrance day" on which we remember our casualties (also casualties of peacekeeper missions etc. moder victims) and on the 5th of may we have our "Liberation Day" (with a parade which is still visited by many international veterans who fought for my country).

So it is not strictly a Russian thing (and no, Netherlands was never a part of PACT...)

P.S. The ONLY evil nuclear country in the world is the U.S.A.
They used 2...
im sure alot of people from Srebeneica, would put the netherlands on equal par with the serbs +some way ahead of the usa, in terms of evilness

roflcake #94 Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

Private

• Player
  • 7949 battles
Is this gonna be sent in TV? like BBC or CNN ? :)

anonym_kL7qtn3e52MB #95 Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 0 battles

View Posttigerstreak, on 08 May 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

im sure alot of people from Srebeneica, would put the netherlands on equal par with the serbs +some way ahead of the usa, in terms of evilness

Where the fuck was our airsupport, which we asked for 2 days before...?

tigerstreak #96 Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

Colonel

• Beta Tester
  • 24597 battles
  • [BL33T] BL33T

View PostCostarring, on 08 May 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

Where the fuck was our airsupport, which we asked for 2 days before...?
U.N. liked putting people in harms way +hoping the nasty men did what was nice?
why a convoy of U.N. armoured vehicles didnt get sent... only the top commanders know

OldIronsides #97 Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 4297 battles

View PostFreakDC, on 07 May 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

But back to topic:
Parading 20,000 marching troops and tens of thousands of tons of tanks and mechanized units around costs millions and millions and glorifies military and by extend war.
Military parades are far older then medieval times, in ancient Rome and even Egypt Warlords got rewarded with parades for conquering territory or looting exceptional treasures.
Parades were also common in occupied cities as a show of superiority and to mock the defeated.
Like the Nazis did in Paris and Vienna or together with the Russians in Brest-Litovsk or the Russians did in Berlin after WW2.

What I think is sad that we are not celebrating the end of bloodshed and war but the focus is on a military show of force and victory. "Special Offer: Military Parade"
Sometimes war might be necessary but it should only be the last resort to restore peace not a glorious way to boost your ego or expand your wealth/power.

Thank you for that statement. Violence and war should always be the last option. But even if they sometimes prove as necessary, and even if we should be grateful for violently ending murderous tyranny, war and violence itself should never be gloryfied.

nemchenk #98 Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8709 battles
  • [WOOF] WOOF
Oh not this again. Really, the Cold War is over.

Tigger3 #99 Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13608 battles

View PostFreakDC, on 07 May 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

http://en.wikipedia....Weimar_Republic
The main if not only cause of the crazy inflation was the insane amount of money they demanded in reparations.

"But the "London ultimatum" in May 1921 demanded reparations in gold or foreign currency to be paid in annual installments of 2,000,000,000 (2 billion) goldmarks plus 26 percent of the value of Germany's exports."
"The total reparations demanded was 132,000,000,000 (132 billion) goldmarks which was far more than the total German gold and foreign exchange."
That's not nazi propaganda that's common knowledge. That sum was acutely just fully paid some years ago in 2010.
Today these numbers might not seem like that much, but at that time it was more than any country at that time could come up with.

The German Hyperinflation started with the Germans decision to not tax the German people to pay for the war but to print money and borrow heavily instead, the borrowing would be paid back from the defeated countries when Germany won (so they assumed). It was not a simple thing that started because of allied demands (mostly French). So the seeds were sown in the actions of the German Government in 1914.

The final nail was the French Belgium occupation of the Ruhr when Germany failed to  supply the amount of timber it said it could supply to France (not the amount demanded), many countries including all those on the reparation commission believed this was Germany flexing its muscles to test the allied resolve to make it pay, so France and Belgium took direct action.

http://www.johndclar...erinflation.htm
http://www.usagold.c...nnightmare.html
http://www.spiegel.d...,641758,00.html

Spoiler                     

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users