Military Parade....Is it appropriate?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
98 replies to this topic

crnivuk #61 Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:00 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 5509 battles
while I dont agree with the poster I think one should still not forget what this game has as focus.

Military vehicles designed as weapons to kill.

Does it mean one has to get completely crazy over it and that he should stop playing the game or not have some fun shoting pixels in WoT? No of course not. It is a game. Nothing more. Nothing less. If one cant get over that part then he is in the wrong place.

But. It cant hurt to spend 5 min. sometimes thinking about what the real situation is/was. It can never ever be a wrong thing to stop for a moment and think about those poor souls that had to spend their time in those coffins of steel. It is not like it would hurt anyone when you give them what they deserve. Condolence.

Its a funny game for us. But once there have been times where it was pure hard reality for others.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZBTxtt1VgDQ
Unedited USMC raw footage from 1945.
During the hard battle for Okinawa a Marines tank is hitted by a Japanese land-mine. Nearby soldiers wounded by the explosion are taken away. No chanche to rescue the crew trapped inside...
Soundtrack ("Mimi Returns") added (Demo Only) in 2008 by ROMANO-ARCHIVES, performed by Alec Harrison.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related
WWII. The battle for Cologne. Tank duel at the cathedral, March 06, 1945. The US army, 3rd AD, enters Cologne. Chronic and analytical presentation of the famous tank duel at the Cologne cathedral. See the fascinating original film with descriptions. 10 minutes of interesting film scenes show the destruction of a Sherman tank, the destruction of a Panther tank and the escaping crew members. 5 presentation parts show different analyses.
Original film scenes show injured persons.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=hpFdVEmTWaQ
An Iranian tank(I think a M60) was hitted, and the brave tank driver stays in the tank and drives it away from soldiers and equipments and then medics carry his burned body.
this is a footage from war reporters documentary that is about liberation of khoramshahr from Iraqi forces during iran iraq war

Edited by crnivuk, 07 May 2012 - 02:01 PM.

Kellomies #62 Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 15159 battles

View Postspin666, on 07 May 2012 - 01:54 PM, said:

If I remember the stats right, SS troop are more fanatic, but that also mean they victory also cost more(man and machines) then regular wehrmacht unit. They have more victorys also because, Hitler has habit give his "personal" armys(SS) more update weaponry then regular wehrmacht unit. Like Tigers...
Hell, the Waffen-SS was pretty much founded to serve as the Party's private goon squad in the event the Army (which never allowed itself to fully fall under direct NSDAP control) became problematic. And, yeah, it came with the territory that the membership were supposed to be fanatical Nazis to the core (though predictably things were more complicated in practice).

Preferential treatment by the political leadership was really kind of obvious, and rather resented by the regular military. Just to make everything pointlessly complicated the SS also developed its own procurement channels, and I understand the Heer did something similar with some of its more illustrious elite divisions - the Grossdeutschland tends to get described as "an army within an army" in various sources.

Pseudo-feudal squabbling fiefdoms. Now there's a winning formula for running modern state organs if I ever saw one!

sreel08 #63 Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 10886 battles

View Postspin666, on 07 May 2012 - 01:49 PM, said:

Question for OP:
Should all Americans(not just US,but the all ppl live in america) bann Columbus Day? "White" ppl celebrated "finding" of the "New World",which kill alot of original ppl that live in north and south america.

Columbus didn't. Therefore they shouldn't, yes.

Should european(including russia ofc) change the starting year of WW2 to 1937, because Japan invade China back then?
No, they should change it to 1935 - Italy declaring war to Ethopia; or the rise of the NSDAP; or the annexation of Memel; or Czechoslovakia. Would at least make more sense. Or to make it clear: the World War became a World War when the US entered - though you might want to discuss when they entered. Or the UK + Canada + Australia + New Zealand.

Should UK also be force to celebrated US independence day? As it's good for US ppl to be came free, it must be good for all? So why shouldn't UK celebrate it too.

Now you really seem confused, mate.

My point being we have different point of view about events.

We agree we better should not cheer to millions of dead people? Since in my opinion that's what happening right now.

Your point of view is YOURs, you have no right to force it on others just like NO one eles can and should force it on you.

That's the point. WG says this is a happy event.

Being "Free" should make this whole topic pointless. Without russians, west can't have win WW2 alone, nor Russian could have won WW2 without US or UK.
Also point to fact, in soviet time, russian fear american's invading as much as american fear the invading russians.

Accepted.

taattis #64 Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23202 battles
  • [OLENI] OLENI
Maybe they should have just called it a "Liberation Day" or "Victory in Europe Day" for EU and US servers.

How the hell did this turn to USA = evil!

FreakDC #65 Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 6000 battles
I am all for celebrating the end of war and peace, but the "victory parade" does not celebrate that but winning a war and military power.
That kind of behavior has always led to more war and more conflict. After WW1 it was one of the major factors that lead to WW2.

The "shaming" of the defeated countries,cession of territory and insane reparations demands that lead to the biggest economic crisis of Germany and the rise of the NSDAP.

I always thought that cheering at war-machines and weapons of mass destruction is a bad way to "honor" the memory of all those people that died and suffered.
They should spend that money to build a hospital or school.

Dongfeng_division #66 Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 51853 battles
  • [TE5LA] TE5LA

View PostMordante, on 07 May 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

Nice Sovjet propganda, however both Stalin and Mao were evil bastards.

Actually, comrade Mao, whom even Kissinger respects, was a brilliant tactician who considered himself a philosopher-king.
On the other hand you're just a brainwashed western critic.

Don't bother us with your classifications of good and evil. I am not Christian so I dunnot care. I am here to play the game, and when I'll want to read brainwashed comments from ignorant or spiteful westerners I'll open CNN.

Cippalippus #67 Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 34448 battles
  • [TKBS] TKBS

View PostNikola_Bathory, on 07 May 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

What's wrong with SS Das Reich?? It was an elite force, one to be feared by its enemies.
I'm really into all things Third Reich, so to say.

That's some good news.

Gotta love these threads for bringing out the closet nazis.

Enjoy your permaban.

GlintEastwood #68 Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17283 battles
  • [-BOMB] -BOMB
Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

I don't care why they choose the events they choose, or how they name them. History is written by the winners anyway. Half of the stuff written in the history books is bull anyway, usually written to put one nation or another in a positive light. I don't care about a cheesy title of an event, i care about how it affects me, and that is it. If i wanted the truth about this or that, i wouldn't look at a silly event title for that truth.

Truth is, none of us were there, none of us conquered anything or defended anything. Too few of the people that fought back there are still alive. There's virtually no one left to be offended or whatever. Past is past. You should be more offended by the impending affluence of bad players during those 5x days.

anonym_kL7qtn3e52MB #69 Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostCippalippus, on 07 May 2012 - 02:35 PM, said:

Gotta love these threads for bringing out the closet nazis.

Enjoy your permaban.

Agreed.

And

Reported...

casus00 #70 Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5908 battles
If you are so offended by this event I would recommend that next year we should have very special german event on 20th of April.

spin666 #71 Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 13200 battles
  • [POP] POP

View Postsreel08, on 07 May 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

Columbus didn't. Therefore they shouldn't, yes.
He start the whole thing and the columbus day is a "white" ppl holiday, as "white" ppl "found" the "New world". THe logic still applys. I can't see native americans see that day a great day. So in your mind soviet day of victory is a bad thing, then why shouldn't the same logic appaly to other(same type) holidays? Are your saying your view of the world is only right one? That would sound very "Bush"... "You are with us or against us"....

"No, they should change it to 1935 - Italy declaring war to Ethopia; or the rise of the NSDAP; or the annexation of Memel; or Czechoslovakia. Would at least make more sense. Or to make it clear: the World War became a World War when the US entered - though you might want to discuss when they entered. Or the UK + Canada + Australia + New Zealand."
My point being that why IS the day the same day as EUROPEANs has gone to war, and not to choose day when somewhere else?

Now you really seem confused, mate.
Nope. It's more about you think your view of the world is only one that is RIGHT one, and like everyone else to use YOUR view as the only one.

We agree we better should not cheer to millions of dead people? Since in my opinion that's what happening right now.
You lost me there....

That's the point. WG says this is a happy event.
Nope. You didn't get my POINT. It's THEIR happy event. It's might be not for you or many others, but it's theirs. So Why SHOULD they change it just because you think it's not a happy day? That was my whole point to being up Native american's and US independence day. You can't force your opinion on others, speacially if you think freedom is important!

Kellomies #72 Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 15159 battles

View PostFreakDC, on 07 May 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

I am all for celebrating the end of war and peace, but the "victory parade" does not celebrate that but winning a war and military power.
That kind of behavior has always led to more war and more conflict. After WW1 it was one of the major factors that lead to WW2.

The "shaming" of the defeated countries,cession of territory and insane reparations demands that lead to the biggest economic crisis of Germany and the rise of the NSDAP.

Uh, no. That's not how it went. At all. GJ swallowing the version the Nazis peddled hook line and sinker, though.

I always thought that cheering at war-machines and weapons of mass destruction is a bad way to "honor" the memory of all those people that died and suffered.
They should spend that money to build a hospital or school.
Militaries have few other ways to publicly celebrate than parades, which incidentally AFAIK have their roots in Medieval or even older reviews of communal military readiness. They also cost kind of peanuts relative to the yearly running costs of a national military, so eh.

deamy #73 Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 10731 battles
As I posted in a similar thread last time this was up for discussion, I think events should focus on historical battles, not political events.

In the first two weeks of may we have:

Battle of France & the low countries, 1940.

Battle of Monte Cassino, 1944.

Second battle of Kharkov, 1942.

It's not like there's a lack of content...

Kellomies #74 Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 15159 battles
I daresay it'd be a rather major oversight to simply ignore the actual end of the whole war, though, regardless of whose exact reckoning you go by (the Soviets were kinda persnickety about some details back in the day, but whatever really; everybody was just glad the whole thing was finally over).

iplayforfun2 #75 Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25343 battles
Great post. Although, I am against any censorship, even  that blocking nazi symbology.

BlakesBully #76 Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5897 battles

Up to 58% off for premium ammo

50% off for equipment

15% off for 6-month premium account purchase

15% off for 1-year premium account purchase

50% discount on 100% crew training
50% discount on 100% trained crew purchased with a new vehicle
50% discount on 100% crew retraining

50% off for Skill reset

Now this is the most capitalistic/greedy special I´ve ever seen, so if it is to glorify the Soviet-Union and Communism this would be very false-faced. ;)

But I see your point and questioning the things behind those specials is necessary in my eyes.
Tying the specials to historical events and making them unideological at the same time will never work (and I for myself like the historical/WWII touch of the specials) but I am happy that people like you show the other side of this here on the forum (as I for myself would probably not have spent so much time thinking about it :Smile-hiding: )
Either way +1 from me. :Smile_honoring:

Zieten #77 Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 16008 battles
can't agree with the OP.
the cold war was a struggle for supremacy over the world. 2 systems fighting for it. there was not 1 evil empire, either there were 2 or there was none. both sides commited a lot of atrocities in that time. even though we were taught that the east was evil and the west was good, everyone with a little interest and some time can see that these 2 systems are quite comparable in what they did.

Kellomies #78 Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 15159 battles
I'm somewhat failing to see what's supposed to be particularly "ideological" about the end of a very ugly and brutal war that killed tens of millions, except inasmuch it was the final nail in the coffin of the ideological regime that had started the whole shit in the first place. The pretty much only people who *weren't* deeply relieved and happy about the whole thing being finally over back in the day were the seriously fanatical Nazis, and fuck them.

Ziddix #79 Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:51 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17502 battles
  • [LEOEL] LEOEL

View PostKauhava, on 07 May 2012 - 05:37 AM, said:

Who the hell cares.

This pretty much.

Kellomies #80 Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 15159 battles