ST-1

the new old is4?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
103 replies to this topic

SteelCity #21 Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostCulprit, on 15 May 2012 - 09:09 AM, said:

Must try, though the thought of KV3 and KV4 grind is horrible. I need to drink a lot before I begin. Thanks for the info.

I wouldn't upgrade the turret and last gun on the KV4. It will save you wasting 50k+ XP.  I'm another 70k away from the ST-I and this grind HURTS :(

SteelCity #22 Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Finally made it through the hell grind that was the KV4 and got my nice shiny ST-I. It's not even upgraded yet and i love it! This is the first tank that i feel relatively safe in, no matter what rolls over the hill. An E100 bouncing 3 times in a row doesn't half fill you with confidence ;)

Although artie seem drawn to it like flies to a light :|

Edited by SteelCity, 17 May 2012 - 02:23 PM.

E57 #23 Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Damn, I knew this tank would be the one to get. Very annoyed that It'll probably be another 6 months before I get to play it.

Squadman45 #24 Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
After 100 battles i lose my faith on ST-I, tank need a fix in the module damage because every hit in turret usually finish in lose ammo rack or one of the loaders (apart this is not the first time than an AP shoot kill 2 guys in the turret) and a buff in firepower, is to low for a tier 9, i think that increase ROF is one option, other is add on it S70, the new 122mm is not a gun i like...

PD: i feel that the tank has potencial but i prefer E75 or M103, are better heavies for my playstyle.

SteelCity #25 Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:24 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostSquadman45, on 18 May 2012 - 08:49 PM, said:

After 100 battles i lose my faith on ST-I, tank need a fix in the module damage because every hit in turret usually finish in lose ammo rack or one of the loaders (apart this is not the first time than an AP shoot kill 2 guys in the turret) and a buff in firepower, is to low for a tier 9, i think that increase ROF is one option, other is add on it S70, the new 122mm is not a gun i like...

PD: i feel that the tank has potencial but i prefer E75 or M103, are better heavies for my playstyle.

I couldn't disagree more. Yes, i get module and crew damage but certainly not any more than with any other tank and the fire power is plenty enough. The armour does a pretty decent job of bouncing shots as well. If i could change anything it would be to notice a difference after upgrading the tracks and engine because i have not noticed ANY difference to speed and maneuverability after upgrading them.

So far i'm not complaining though. The ST-I is exactly what i was expecting. An IS-8 with more armour and less speed. I love it so far.

Malazag #26 Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:45 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
The ST-I has some great weakspots, but thanks god, not many ppl know about them that much. But if the enemy knows about them...meh, you're fucked. But this makes fighting in hills or covered terrain much more fun, since your tank will be allmost invincible.

DeadSkies #27 Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:51 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostThe_Fun, on 11 May 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

Another great thing is that there are, IMO, very few ST-1s in randoms ATM, so you still get that "WTF" from other players coming face to face with the ST-1, and for some reason start shooting at your inpenetrable turret.

I've not seen one in game yet and have been asking about it to no avial. Is it good or, not? I've read the above (all) and am still not convinced it's worth buying? I'm ready to give it a try if, it's any good.

Edited by DeadSkies, 19 May 2012 - 02:52 AM.

Malazag #28 Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:15 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostDeadSkies, on 19 May 2012 - 02:51 AM, said:

I've not seen one in game yet and have been asking about it to no avial. Is it good or, not? I've read the above (all) and am still not convinced it's worth buying? I'm ready to give it a try if, it's any good.

It's atleast better then the IS-8. Unlike you like those medium-heavy hybrids like IS-8 / AMX series are...

The ST-I drives much like the OLD IS-4 - Watch your back and sides, and try to cover your LFP. Your turret is (allmost) impenetratable at the front, so if you hug a IS-4 for example, he'll mostly wont find any good spot to deal any damage too you. But don't try this against bigger vehicles like E-75 or anything similar, since it's higher, it will negate the angle of your UFP. The gun is (like any other except the german Tier X) OP, and you can penetrate most targets with ease. I do really love it. Give it a try. And allways keep in mind that you have an excellent gun depression, which allows you to gain cover from most hills. (Like T30 / T34)

SteelCity #29 Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:47 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostDeadSkies, on 19 May 2012 - 02:51 AM, said:

View PostMalazag, on 19 May 2012 - 03:15 AM, said:

It's atleast better then the IS-8. Unlike you like those medium-heavy hybrids like IS-8 / AMX series are...

The ST-I drives much like the OLD IS-4 - Watch your back and sides, and try to cover your LFP. Your turret is (allmost) impenetratable at the front, so if you hug a IS-4 for example, he'll mostly wont find any good spot to deal any damage too you. But don't try this against bigger vehicles like E-75 or anything similar, since it's higher, it will negate the angle of your UFP. The gun is (like any other except the german Tier X) OP, and you can penetrate most targets with ease. I do really love it. Give it a try. And allways keep in mind that you have an excellent gun depression, which allows you to gain cover from most hills. (Like T30 / T34)

What he said. It's a beast of a T9 tank. I played my IS-8 once and that was more than enough for me. The ST-I is exactly what i wanted. Great gun, great armour, decent speed and for now, the novelty factor. No one knows what to do with them so it's bounce, bounce, bounce.

Squadman45 #30 Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I disagree, ST-I module damage is big in ammo rack and loaders, practically all lateral hits and back hits in turret kill them (is not the first battle where with 3 hits lose ammo rack and 2 times loaders), apart this arty usually destroy something with splash or in an direct hit do a lot of damage (except AMX the other tier 9 suffer less module damage)... apart this i think that the hit boxes for ST-I are bugged because is not the first time that a hit left or right in the driver´s hatch kill him when in old IS-4 for example you need hit direct the hatch.

For me main problems with ST-I are the module damage to concentrate in reload modules and lack of firepower, i dont say that is a bad tank but for a heavy is nothing that i can have in the other tier 9 i have (well except AMX50-120) and sorry but ST-I is closer to E75 than IS-4, his lateral armor is weak, easy to pen, and turret has a clear weakspot that IS-4 turret doesnt has.

Malazag #31 Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:27 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostSquadman45, on 19 May 2012 - 08:32 AM, said:

I disagree, ST-I module damage is big in ammo rack and loaders, practically all lateral hits and back hits in turret kill them (is not the first battle where with 3 hits lose ammo rack and 2 times loaders), apart this arty usually destroy something with splash or in an direct hit do a lot of damage (except AMX the other tier 9 suffer less module damage)... apart this i think that the hit boxes for ST-I are bugged because is not the first time that a hit left or right in the driver´s hatch kill him when in old IS-4 for example you need hit direct the hatch.

For me main problems with ST-I are the module damage to concentrate in reload modules and lack of firepower, i dont say that is a bad tank but for a heavy is nothing that i can have in the other tier 9 i have (well except AMX50-120) and sorry but ST-I is closer to E75 than IS-4, his lateral armor is weak, easy to pen, and turret has a clear weakspot that IS-4 turret doesnt has.

I can't agree to this bro, maybe you had bad luck or something. I can't feel more module damage on my ST-I then on any other (and I got a plenty of tanks), and IS-4's turret can be penetrated too, just aim for this little metal-plate which is right above the gun, you'll be able to penetrate it's roof.

Sure, the LFP of the ST-I is extremly weak, but don't play it like any other tank, know it's strengths (again: Turret, gun depression, still very good UFP) and play it correctly.
Sure, maybe the Tank doesn't fit to your playstyle, but that doesn't mean it's a bad one. Same goes for the E-100 or the Jagdtiger, they seem to have many drawbacks, but one who's mastering them turns them into beasts.

And also look what guns got into the game, like M58 and M62, penetrating within WoT has never been easier. Other tanks get penetrated too.
Test the ST-I UFP against the "good old" guns, like 12,8cm and 130mm (oh and this crappy T34 of course), you'll get suprised. Even the drivers hatch of the ST-I looks enormous but still can bounce some things.

Squadman45 #32 Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:02 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Well, i allways see S70 as the best gun for heavies before 7.3 change and now i think the same even with M62, at least in the ST-I, i need to reload in IS-8 10.73s with rammer+100% crew+vents, well, in ST-I with same equipment + brothers in arms it needs 12.05s as you can see firepower in ST-I is nothing special and you have worst aiming time 3.4 VS 2.9.

Module damage is more than a feeling, practically i lose in every battle something that affect to reload time... i see very few times a hit in turret (or splash) that destroy radio like in other tier 9 heavies or lose turret or other thing apart lose loaders/ammo rack, i feel and see that hit boxes in turret are not very well done like the hit boxes in hull, as i say before i lose many times driver with hits that dont hit direct the driver´s hatch.

I dont say that is a bad tank and really is a tank for my playstyle but need some fixes in the hit boxes and a buff in firepower, or increase ROF or add the S70 as option (i really think that S70 is a lot better for ST-I than actual nerfed M62).

PD: i have all heavies tier 9, think that devs need revert the nerf in AMX50-120 and that they need buff the pen in 128... is not a question of want a super soviet heavy tank but at least balance it a little more (ST-I as i say is for me closer to E75 than to IS-4 because lateral armor in ST-I doesnt eat shoots as IS-4 can do).

Malazag #33 Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostSquadman45, on 20 May 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

Well, i allways see S70 as the best gun for heavies before 7.3 change and now i think the same even with M62, at least in the ST-I, i need to reload in IS-8 10.73s with rammer+100% crew+vents, well, in ST-I with same equipment + brothers in arms it needs 12.05s as you can see firepower in ST-I is nothing special and you have worst aiming time 3.4 VS 2.9.

Module damage is more than a feeling, practically i lose in every battle something that affect to reload time... i see very few times a hit in turret (or splash) that destroy radio like in other tier 9 heavies or lose turret or other thing apart lose loaders/ammo rack, i feel and see that hit boxes in turret are not very well done like the hit boxes in hull, as i say before i lose many times driver with hits that dont hit direct the driver´s hatch.

I dont say that is a bad tank and really is a tank for my playstyle but need some fixes in the hit boxes and a buff in firepower, or increase ROF or add the S70 as option (i really think that S70 is a lot better for ST-I than actual nerfed M62).

PD: i have all heavies tier 9, think that devs need revert the nerf in AMX50-120 and that they need buff the pen in 128... is not a question of want a super soviet heavy tank but at least balance it a little more (ST-I as i say is for me closer to E75 than to IS-4 because lateral armor in ST-I doesnt eat shoots as IS-4 can do).

I can agree with the fact that the aiming time and the ROF of the ST-I might not be the best, but you can't forget that the gun itself is OP as hell (Penetration?) - and yet the IS-8 / T-10 has actually an even worse armor then the IS-3 and is even bigger then the ST-I. And speed is not all (see the frenchies, need to be used well, otherwise they are derp.)

And of course your driver wont do only die to direct hits to the drivers hatch, on other tanks this is similar. On certain russian websites you can find quite accurate hitzones on most tanks, showing that each module / crew member has a certain "area" on your armor, at which it can be hit / damaged.

Meh, I'm not sure if they should unnerf the 50 120, I still think the magazine-system used by the frenchies is sometimes more then OP (red team only) and sometimes the lack of armor (mostly when frenchies are in the green team) makes them worthless. But yes, I agree the 12,8cm should be buffed. Or all other guns need to be nerfed. Armor of most tanks became something obsolete ... - unless you play german heavy tanks, you'll still have to aim for weakspots when using the 12,8.

Edited by Malazag, 20 May 2012 - 09:55 AM.

Benden #34 Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

(...)

Reading you, we can imagine someone new to the game giving his feedback.
I wont  go into details (like how good armor is on the whole tank, buffed driver hatch, best pen gun in the game etc.  but just ONE thing :
You ask for buffs for the ST1 but compare it to what was the US Tiers 9 heavies for more than a year before 7.2 and tell me HONESTLY where it is inferior and maybe your posts will be taken slighty more seriously.
For me ST1 is like an old IS4, with that only real weaspot the driver hatch buffed, with (almost) invulnerable turret overgrown to get US-like depression : best of both worlds.

Edited by Benden, 22 May 2012 - 01:02 PM.

Malazag #35 Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostBenden, on 22 May 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

Reading you, we can imagine someone new to the game giving his feedback.
I wont  go into details (like how good armor is on the whole tank, buffed driver hatch, best pen gun in the game etc.  but just ONE thing :
You ask for buffs for the ST1 but compare it to what was the US Tiers 9 heavies for more than a year before 7.2 and tell me HONESTLY where it is inferior and maybe your posts will be taken slighty more seriously.
For me ST1 is like an old IS4, with that only real weaspot the driver hatch buffed, with (almost) invulnerable turret overgrown to get US-like depression : best of both worlds.

The ST-I doesn't needs a buff, Squadman just stated that it seems to have bugged hitboxes, but to me, it seems fine. And actually it has a real weakspot except the drivers hatch (which in my eyes is not a weakspot on the ST-I) - it's called lower front plate.

And not only the US Heavys were bad, bro. The "good old" german Vk4502B was (Still is) worse in allmost everything compared to the old IS-4. M103 is fine as it is now, T110 has way too much DPM, IS-8 is an worse armored IS-3 (IS-8 has weakspots in it's turret) with just a better gun and ST-I is a decent T9, while Vk4502 ausf. B requires some skill and E-75 is still good, but suffers (like VK45B) from having the worst T9 / 10 gun - but not because the 12,8cm gun is bad, just because all other guns are by far overperforming.

Benden #36 Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostMalazag, on 22 May 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

The ST-I doesn't needs a buff, Squadman just stated that it seems to have bugged hitboxes, but to me, it seems fine.

And actually it has a real weakspot except the drivers hatch (which in my eyes is not a weakspot on the ST-I) - it's called lower front plate.
... lower.. fr ont plate... ahhhhhhh, you mean the green area stuff ?
Spoiler                     
Let's check it on E75...
Spoiler                     
ohhh, it's bigger...

Andd VK
Spoiler                     
Ohhh, bigger too ?!
quoting silverx on us forum :
"So its got a weak lower glacis, big deal, pretty much every tank has and if you drive Germans, they have engine fires from the lower glacis." (http://forum.worldof...3/page__st__100)
What did I say in my post : Best of both world talking about IS4 + old T34 : means no more  weakspot with Hull down...

And not only the US Heavys were bad, bro. The "good old" german Vk4502B was (Still is) worse in allmost everything compared to the old IS-4. M103 is fine as it is now, T110 has way too much DPM, IS-8 is an worse armored IS-3 (IS-8 has weakspots in it's turret) with just a better gun and ST-I is a decent T9, while Vk4502 ausf. B requires some skill and E-75 is still good, but suffers (like VK45B) from having the worst T9 / 10 gun - but not because the 12,8cm gun is bad, just because all other guns are by far overperforming.
hold on your horses, let's focus on ST1 "issues". In fact I see none. This is the strongest Tiers 9 heavy, the new russian heavy OP tank.
Giving it bigger/faster gun would make it even more OP. About those module bug ? Dunno, did not happen to me on Test server. Can't be worse than T110 ammo rack => should be corrected.

Edited by Benden, 22 May 2012 - 03:46 PM.

Malazag #37 Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:20 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

Malazag, on 22 May 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

The ST-I doesn't needs a buff, Squadman just stated that it seems to have bugged hitboxes, but to me, it seems fine.

Squadman45, on 20 May 2012 - 10:02 AM, said:

And actually it has a real weakspot except the drivers hatch (which in my eyes is not a weakspot on the ST-I) - it's called lower front plate.
... lower.. fr ont plate... ahhhhhhh, you mean the green area stuff ?

Spoiler

http://wotarmory.fil...rmor-scheme.jpgLet's check it on E75...

Spoiler

http://www.wotdb.inf...many-E-75/1.jpgohhh, it's bigger...

Andd VK

Spoiler

http://www.wotdb.inf...y-VK4502P/1.jpgOhhh, bigger too ?!
quoting silverx on us forum :
"So its got a weak lower glacis, big deal, pretty much every tank has and if you drive Germans, they have engine fires from the lower glacis." (http://forum.worldof...3/page__st__100)
What did I say in my post : Best of both world talking about IS4 + old T34 : means no more weakspot with Hull down...

hold on your horses, let's focus on ST1 "issues". In fact I see none. This is the strongest Tiers 9 heavy, the new russian heavy OP tank.
Giving it bigger/faster gun would make it even more OP. About those module bug ? Dunno, did not happen to me on Test server. Can't be worse than T110 ammo rack =&--#62; should be corrected.

All right, seems it's time to troll the troll post.

I don't know why you've gone mad bro, but I've ya had read the very first sentence, you would have noticed that I've said: "The ST-I doesn't needs a buff."

And yes, I mean that, as you call it, "green stuff". And maybe you'd also know, that with 160mm it's much weaker then the E-75's, which is, as far as I know, somewhere round about 200mm.

That's a cool story, what that bro says in that US forum - but it's not the fault of the ST-I that WG is counting the gearbox of the german tanks as hitzones for the engine. Oh and there is no weakspot while hull down? Too bad. T34's commander cupola might be a weakspot, but was, when the T34 was hull down, hard to hit, and an experienced T34 driver could move it's turret, so hitting the cupola is getting even harder.

Why should I hold my horses? I didn't brought any fact up that the ST-I needs to get buffed or is too weak. But it's also not OP. But I agree with not changing it's gun bro, it's good as it is. Module damage is not higher then on any other vehicle. And T110 is still OP, alltough I didn't noticed anything unusual about it's ammo rack tough.

Edited by Malazag, 22 May 2012 - 04:22 PM.

VGA #38 Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:44 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
What the hell, the M62 has more RoF in the IS-8 than the ST-I ?

4.72 vs 4.11 ... is this true ?!

Malazag #39 Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostVGA, on 22 May 2012 - 06:44 PM, said:

Yep, that's true. Dunno if they both have the aiming time tough, just know about the rof. The ST-I's DPM is at best average. But atleast the ST-I got some armor, unlike the IS-8.

guguloi #40 Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

Heart Smasher

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostVGA, on 22 May 2012 - 06:44 PM, said:

10.72 reload in IS-8 and 12.32 reload in ST-I. 100% crew, vents and no BiA.