PzIV

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
334 replies to this topic

nxze #1 Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:42 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
2 day ago i had buy a pzIV to try it  and stocked he sucks
after upgrade yeah he was away better  but stil same poblems
had notice that on road u can easy get a top speed and u turning fast but offroad hes slow and hes turn speed suck offroad  had hard time to go 30kmh on flat ground

and also notice if u get shooted by a biger call. gun ur gona lose ur engine no mather where ur hit

so what i wana know has any one a notice a same things or this are a normal things on this tank

TexasTC #2 Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:50 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
The key is try not to get shot. Put the L70 cannon and big turret, shoot enemies at range. Close up you will die, stay back and shoot them.

schurem #3 Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:57 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I play it like I played the KV: like a big slow TD. Snipe from a distance, keep in hiding, dont try and be on the frontline.  :Smile-hiding:

A dogfighter this baby shure as sh!t isnt.  :huh:

Sinnek #4 Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:55 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I have played every other tank in the german medium tree except for the ones you have to go through the pz IV to get. which I'm doing now.
This tank is horrible. I might just have to scrap my plans of getting both the VK36 and the VK3001(H). I can't stand the idea of spending more then the absolute minimum time in this crap boat.

The pz III, even though it couldn't hurt anything, was at least fast. this thing is just borked. it moves like a heavy, but insta-pops if anyone so much as farts in it's general direction. I have the suspension and best engine upgrade, but it's still worse than ANY of the other, bigger medium tanks I've had were, even in their stock setup. I guess with the turret upgrade and a bigger gun I can hurt more stuff at range, but that's a small comfort. It's "sister tank" (tier wise), the pz III/IV, is infinitely more fun to play, as it has the one thing a soft little pea shooter like this can have. speed.

They need to change something with this tank. It's a key part of the tree towards heavies as it leads to both the VK36 and the VK(H) as well as to the Hummel. It should be fun to play, and a strong tank most players would enjoy, but I can't see how. :angry:

n0z3k1ll3r #5 Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:58 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Two ways to play the Panzer IV, basically. Sit back with the silly turret and the big L70, rely on your 80 front armour and the big gun, and basically play like a TD.

Or use the smaller turret with the L48 and run around things firing away merrily.

The former is probably more effective but I find the latter far more entertaining personally.

SKurj #6 Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:24 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostSinnek, on 29 September 2010 - 04:55 AM, said:

I have played every other tank in the german medium tree except for the ones you have to go through the pz IV to get. which I'm doing now.
This tank is horrible. I might just have to scrap my plans of getting both the VK36 and the VK3001(H). I can't stand the idea of spending more then the absolute minimum time in this crap boat.

The pz III, even though it couldn't hurt anything, was at least fast. this thing is just borked. it moves like a heavy, but insta-pops if anyone so much as farts in it's general direction. I have the suspension and best engine upgrade, but it's still worse than ANY of the other, bigger medium tanks I've had were, even in their stock setup. I guess with the turret upgrade and a bigger gun I can hurt more stuff at range, but that's a small comfort. It's "sister tank" (tier wise), the pz III/IV, is infinitely more fun to play, as it has the one thing a soft little pea shooter like this can have. speed.

They need to change something with this tank. It's a key part of the tree towards heavies as it leads to both the VK36 and the VK(H) as well as to the Hummel. It should be fun to play, and a strong tank most players would enjoy, but I can't see how. :angry:

The PzIV gets quite decent once you can fit the L70, and with the current matching system you will sometimes find yourself near the top of the match list.
Shame you have to fit the basturd turret to be effective though.

nxze #7 Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:05 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
well i had try that L70 and had no bounce its nice gun but i dont like how tank look with big turret so I use the normal one and with a L48 i think its caled and its doing well his job I had never bounce on Tk side armor with it

and I dont like to camp I like to bee in First line of atack always :) (didnt finish no game withot a 1-2 kills)

damoven #8 Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:38 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
The pIV is a beast with the L70 if you load premium AP ammo... It shreds through every tank.

The L70 with HE isn't too bad. Like most tanks in the game, you have to find the playstyle. I've found most success by sitting back as a support/ambush role.

Midnitewolf #9 Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:33 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Someone else said it but I am going to reinforce what they said.

Play the PzIV like a KV.  It is big and slow and can't manuver worth a crap so your best bet with it is the use the accurate gun to its advantage and mostly snipe or act mostly like a TD.  Works like a charm.

Sinnek #10 Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:03 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Yea, when playing a bit with the turret and gun upgrade, it's not that bad. It can put a lot of hurt down from far away with good accuracy.
Guess it's just not my play style. I like to be able to snipe a bit, but also get in close and break out the 3 foot bayonet  :Smile-izmena:
The DB must've spoiled me..

Freia_Lenneth #11 Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:03 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Well it's either a "heavy light" with its stock turret, but will lack overall armor, or a "medium heavy" with oversized turret and gun bringing good support behind a pack of others mediums or better, heavies. It's the first time I got a tank feeling from the game with it, downside being if you find yourself with the slow turret facing a swarm of light tanks you'll pick one or two at best from a distance before they close in and dance around you to death.

Overall a good tank in which the grind didn't seem that bad as it opens a lot of options. I'm now on my way to the VK3001s after getting the hummel, let's see how it turns out.

Highway_Star #12 Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I'm using this tank now. I'm still a few thousand XP from the L70 gun, but can still H.E. KVs to death quite well.

Morrigan #13 Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:07 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postdamoven, on 29 September 2010 - 09:38 PM, said:

The L70 with HE isn't too bad. Like most tanks in the game, you have to find the playstyle. I've found most success by sitting back as a support/ambush role.
Why would you put on that fat turret and the long gun for HE? Isn't the shorter 75 the same damage for HE as the L70? I'd go small turret and its 75 with HE.
I grinded this tank before the wipe, hated it. I spent free xp to get past it after the wipe. I am very much NOT looking forward to playing this tank again at release :)

nxze #14 Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:31 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
well its not bad tank its wery good only lack of mobility on soft ground but if u stay on the road its realy fast and agile

geckokin338 #15 Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:38 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Just got into the PIV last night, been grinding and trying different things after playing with the PIII for a week.  To restate the downsides:  Not enough armor, not agile enough, engine fires/dmg and still throws tracks like nobodies business.  This can mean one of two things, either the tank sucks, or my playstyle was wrong.

After upgrading to the gawdawful looking Panther Turret, and the L70 gun, I thought it played even worse.  Then I spent a couple rounds hanging back.  After so long playing light and fast mediums, I'd never sniped much, and I was prone to rushing in.  The PIII 75mm snub is not a sniping weapon, and that was all that I'd played with for a LONG time...

Here's my take on it.  It's a turreted tank destroyer.  Find cover.  Find low/half cover and protect your pathetic side armor.  Keep the front of that giant turret to the enemy, 120mm is pretty absurd on an otherwise low armor medium tank.  Let the dogfighters and the rushers/brawlers move in.  With the high end radio and a 80% or better gunner, you can snipe damn near across the entire map.  Let the scouts find the other campers for you, as the L70 at long ranges can bust most frontal TD armor except the Ferdy.  Alternately, set yourself up to cover approaches to your flag.  75mmL70 will SHRED the fast movers from both Russian and German trees.

No, you're not going to one shot anything Tier 3 and higher.  But with a good hit, they'll throw a track.  And then they're meat.  The L70 will threaten IS-1s and KVs.  With properly placed manual shots to the track and side body armor, this thing can damage a Tiger II.  No, you're not going to kill one solo if you get into a slugging match.  So don't slug with em.  Slap a shot or two into one at long ranges, and keep near cover.  Pick off cripples, cripple targets of opportunity.  The long range accuracy on this thing needs to be experienced to be believed.  

No, you are never going to be a solo-pwnmobile.  But you become a long range direct fire overwatch.  And team play wise, that can't be ignored.  I average three kills on a good map, 15k cash and between 600-1000 xp without premium.  I normally end up DAMAGING seven different targets.  And the number of times that I've made a fast mover throw a track when they were dogfighting... and then some lucky fat Snubby user pops em... Yeah.  I like that.

I agree with the common complaint that the PIV is underpowered stock.  Even upgraded, it's not that impressive, especially after the PIII.  But for me, the change in playstyle made all the difference.

loganov #16 Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:13 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Good post.  My experience was almost identical.  My playstyle adjusted just like yours and my scores went up, too.  Take heed newbies, there's good advice for new Pz IV owners here.  Many of us learned it the hard way.

Cheers,

Logan

Norzone #17 Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:29 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Currently using L28 on my PzIV (I fucked up and researched the wrong gun) and its pretty decent when bumrushing smaller tanks, i often get 1 hit kills with it.

loganov #18 Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:36 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I saw a DB get 6 kills in a recent battle with short 105.  Most kills I've seen a DB get in a single round.  I'll have to check it out.

Cheers,

Logan

tThecrow #19 Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:52 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
pz4 is damn slow but once u get the hang of it its kinda fun

u have to play it like a heavy tank and thus getting practice

it moves and packs a punch like a heavy ( with panther turret and gun) but it has less armor so u have to be careful and think ahead and do some long range shooting

used properly it can take down Tigers and even higher tiers and help you gain the experience needed later for the true heavies

deal with its limitations and its actually both a fun and deadly tank

just dont expect a super armored race car ;)

Midnitewolf #20 Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:13 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
It is pretty much like everyone said.  The PzIV isn't a horrible tank performance-wise but its not alot of fun to use.  Turreted Tank Destroyer is a good way to discribe the playstyle as well.  It can kill tanks of higher tirr than itself but cannot exist on the front line.  Best way to use them is to stay back behind the line of advance and snipe at targets that are engaging your sides front running tanks.  Credit and Exp gain isn't bad with this tank either if you play it the way I mentioned.

Again I will reiterate that this tank is not fun to play so get use to it.

Another thing I will add though is that the VK3601 is an amazing fun tank so it is well worth the grind on the PzIV to get there and definately something to look forward to.