Forum Reputation System

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

Rexonon #1 Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:59 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 9184 battles
Is there really much point in this system? I agree it perhaps can differentiate between total trolls and helpful contributors but when it can be abused in a way that one person and his alt accounts can just search your content then begin -repping every post you make no matter what the content it makes the system redundant.

It just gives people an anonymous way of 'trolling' people they disagree with or take a personal dislike to without consequences.

Edited by Rexonon, 16 May 2012 - 12:19 PM.

noobie #2 Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 25619 battles
haters gonna hate, don't take it to heart and life will be a bit easier

Homer_J #3 Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27499 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Looking at that thread it's working just fine.

RoyalAirFarce #4 Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles
Stop acting like a weener how would you know what accounts belong to wich person,are you a moderator ...sounds like it from your last post asking for details

Rexonon #5 Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 9184 battles

View Postnoobie, on 16 May 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

haters gonna hate, don't take it to heart and life will be a bit easier

Quite right. I was just wondering why there is such a system in place on these forums when all it does is promote an anonymous way of 'trolling' people you disagree with.

Nekrodamus #6 Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

Captain

• Clan Diplomat
  • 48503 battles
  • [LEOFL] LEOFL
There is a very simple solution: Just take away the minus option (but double the possible plus per day)!

This way nobody can be punished for having a different opinion or for arguing with a clan player, but the total number of 'likes' will still help to identify a valuable member of this forum.

Walker28361 #7 Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6624 battles

View PostNekrodamus, on 16 May 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

There is a very simple solution: Just take away the minus option (but double the possible plus per day)!

This way nobody can be punished for having a different opinion or for arguing with a clan player, but the total number of 'likes' will still help to identify a valuable member of this forum.

Very true, but equally if you remove the minus option how do you identify those who are a negative influence? Anyway Rexonon hope that +1 helps.

Murphy1up #8 Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

Lieutenant General

• Military Reserve
  • 11249 battles
  • [-QQ-] -QQ-
You're always going to get players who will potentially abuse the system, outside of that however it works quite well to help identify those who post regular helpful content and others who just look to troll and abuse.

I never quite understand why people are proud of having a bad rep on forums or want to be downvoted. Hopefully those players can turn things around and use their knowledge for good.

With great power comes great responsibility as Professor Xavier once told Batman.

McClane #9 Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 8946 battles

View PostEctar, on 16 May 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

With great power comes great responsibility as Professor Xavier once told Batman.

Mos def.

Edited by McClane, 16 May 2012 - 12:25 PM.

WoTDaFoCh #10 Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 22802 battles

View PostRexonon, on 16 May 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

Quite right. I was just wondering why there is such a system in place on these forums when all it does is promote an anonymous way of 'trolling' people you disagree with.
Learn not to be a smartass and it works fine

XxXSpottedYouXxX #11 Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

General

• Player
  • 23824 battles
  • [4077] 4077
It is a redundant system.

I think a better system is in order the current one indeed looks dull and boring and shows no detail it would be nice to see who left the reputation and for what reason so a total re balanced would be something pretty much needed if this was ever to be somehow created it’s a good idea considering we can they see a true system then a system which pits people worthless.

My reputation is a prime example.

-3000 although not quite everything makes so much sense.

I have a very strong opinion and a I’m rather hard to please and pursued so a lot of my reputation is down to me not being a good 2 shoes but that's because of the way I see things not because I behave or because I am a troll per-say !.

Most of my reputation is from jealous little children or haters and that’s the exact truth I’m going to tell you and the reason?

It’s very simple im known all over the web i have thousands of forum accounts and I know everyone just about any way at least all the known gaming community sites so I’m bound to have people follow me.

So you can obviously see why people are calling the system a fail the principle of reputation is to judge others without reputation you would basically read someone comment without the troll option so you would have to actively reply instead of downing someone's comment like a douchbag without any reason what for.

I must head off to lunch now but give this a thought and remember what I said I think I have pretty much cracked it.

View PostEctar, on 16 May 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

You're always going to get players who will potentially abuse the system, outside of that however it works quite well to help identify those who post regular helpful content and others who just look to troll and abuse.

I never quite understand why people are proud of having a bad rep on forums or want to be down voted. Hopefully those players can turn things around and use their knowledge for good.

Well concerning your comment your pretty much referring to people with bad reputation however I must say that your wrong because not all of these so called abusive players or trolls or whatever you class them as not all are specifically the same it’s like saying one theory is multiplied into another however it’s not because each theory is somewhat different.

You can’t class them all as abusive or trolls and per say I have a troll face on my profile but that’s just to put the icing on top of the cake I use that because everyone seems to think im a troll so I do the thing they expect and use a troll face it’s kind of simple.

I wouldn’t simply start classing people because of how much reputation they have I’m certainly not abusive nor am I a troll or don’t help people because quite frankly I do help some people and I do try and help people with their problems I also make some pretty dam wonderful posts to time to time.

So before you jump onto the already large boat of wrongfulness take a step back and re think what you’re saying in the up most mature adult respect sir.

Edited by DerRizerPin, 16 May 2012 - 06:44 PM.

noobie #12 Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 25619 battles

View PostRexonon, on 16 May 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

its all about community, to kids easier to press red or green button than to substantiate their point of view
technical forums don't have that option

Nekrodamus #13 Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

Captain

• Clan Diplomat
  • 48503 battles
  • [LEOFL] LEOFL

View PostWalker28361, on 16 May 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

Very true, but equally if you remove the minus option how do you identify those who are a negative influence? Anyway Rexonon hope that +1 helps.

Imagine you move the cursor over a nick and see a very small number of likes, but a certain number of posts.

You might not be able to differ between the real bad guys and those who behave neutral or post neutral/meanigless stuff (which isn't valuable either), but as a bonus you'd get rid of all those 'Please give me more minus, I promise to behave accordingly!'-morons.

XxXSpottedYouXxX #14 Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

General

• Player
  • 23824 battles
  • [4077] 4077
I meant hundreds of forums not thousands sorry spelling error.

On topic.

Personally i would consider the world of tanks admins to re consider another type of system which has much more user friendly options and a better way of leaving reputation that's my overall suggestion to give.

Kind Regards - Stephen.

Yamaxanadu #15 Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 1215 battles
I used to believe that my guides are almost useless since they get lesser pluses compared to other threads... So I made a simple poll and was quite pleased to know that they were more useful than I thought.

Murphy1up #16 Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

Lieutenant General

• Military Reserve
  • 11249 battles
  • [-QQ-] -QQ-
Fair points DerRizerPin,

I agree that negative rep doesn't always mean a troll or spammer. On the flip side however there is sometimes better ways of putting your point across that doesn't seem so blunt or controversial to regular forum users (I'm not speaking about you specifically, just anyone with high negative rep on any forum in general can be in this situation) I'm always upfront and honest myself, and don't hold back when asked my opinion either so know what it's like.

I've learned over time however sometimes just changing how you say something gets the same message across but also gets more people to see your point of view.  Also I stop myself a lot of time and think "do I really need to say this" or "what impact will this really have" . Pondering those questions usually means what ever I have typed out is deleted and a more easy going post is written.

It's the age old saying really, not what you say, but how you say it.

WoTDaFoCh #17 Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 22802 battles

View PostEctar, on 16 May 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

It's the age old saying really, not what you say, but how you say it.

Thats exactly why i flipped on the guy...didnt like the way he was talking like he was talking to an imbecile or something

Cuddly_Spider #18 Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

Major

• Player
  • 28309 battles

View PostRexonon, on 16 May 2012 - 11:59 AM, said:

I agree it perhaps can differentiate between total trolls and helpful contributors but when it can be abused in a way that one person and his alt accounts can just search your content then begin -repping every post you make no matter what the content it makes the system redundant.

I disagree with even this. People tend to + or - people on the basis of whether or not they agree with the message, not on the way said message was presented. "u suck u idiot n00b!!1!" is as likely to be +ed as "I respectfully feel the basis for your argument is unwarranted for the following reasons:", perhaps even more likely.

View PostRexonon, on 16 May 2012 - 11:59 AM, said:

It just gives people an anonymous way of 'trolling' people they disagree with or take a personal dislike to without consequences.

This I agree with. People with potentially unpopular opinions are more reluctant to offer them, even politely and respectfully. People who know they have "mob rule" on their side can engage in gleeful forum baiting and and bloodsport, knowing that their reputation will, bizarrely, go up for it. Forum ratings systems have never worked and never will.

kirstar #19 Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10221 battles
  • [316] 316
its a silly system.  i went from +50 to -1 because I dared to defend the type.

Walker28361 #20 Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6624 battles

View PostDerRizerPin, on 16 May 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

Personally i would consider the world of tanks admins to re consider another type of system which has much more user friendly options and a better way of leaving reputation that's my overall suggestion to give.

Kind Regards - Stephen.

Not a bad idea. Btw I nearly went blind trying to read your first post ( just seeing the size of typeface made me laugh) but I just made it, thanks for that!

View PostNekrodamus, on 16 May 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

Imagine you move the cursor over a nick and see a very small number of likes, but a certain number of posts.

You might not be able to differ between the real bad guys and those who behave neutral or post neutral/meanigless stuff (which isn't valuable either), but as a bonus you'd get rid of all those 'Please give me more minus, I promise to behave accordingly!'-morons.

I'll concede that is a good point, not sure what the best solution is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users