World of Warplanes - few details

WoWP World of Warplanes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

Warenwolf #1 Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 10817 battles
For those of you who haven't been paying attention, the WG has, besides WoT, been developing World of Warplanes.

I have been for month a beta tester for this game but due to my internet provider of mine I haven't been able to play it. (me to support : "the modem is burning when plugged in", support to me: "ok, sir. Please check if the modem is plugged in and all the connections are OK"... :Smile_sceptic: ).
All the info below is publicly available and I am not breaching any NDA by providing this (<- this part is written for overzealous moderators )

What is World of Warplanes:

WG info regarding the game (the bold parts are the important parts, you can skip reading the rest):

World of Warplanes is the flight combat MMO action game set in the Golden Age of military aviation. The game continues the armored warfare theme marked in the highly-acclaimed World of Tanks and will throw players into a never-ending tussle for air dominance.
Based purely on aircraft setting, World of Warplanes will allow players to build full-scale careers of virtual pilots offering machines of several key eras, staring from 1930’s with biplanes and up to Korean War jet fighters that led the way to modern air forces.
World of Warplanes will feature a wide range of warbirds, each of them unique in their effectiveness and behavior. Virtual pilots will choose from three main warplane classes — single-engine light fighters capable of engaging enemies in close dogfights, heavy fighters with their deadly straight attacks, and ground-attack aircraft, the fearsome threat for ground targets.
Every plane will feature multiple variations of ammo types, engines, and other crucial modules, and their various combinations will allow to pick the optimal configuration for the most effective behavior in combat.

So basically this will be a game like WoT but instead of tanks you will fight with, as title indicates, aircraft.

Just as in WoT, the game has tech trees. Following are release tech trees :

SSSR:

Spoiler                     

Germany:

Spoiler                     

USA:

Spoiler                     

Few facts:

Just like WoT is not a tank simulator, WoWP is not airplane simulator either. No engine management, no blackout or redout, no high speed control lockups etc.... It is arcade pure and simple.

There won’t be shared stats between WOT and WOWP, but a unified user account will let you transfer in-game Gold and Free Experience points between titles. On the Global Map Clans will be able to cooperate and support each other by providing ‘clan consumables’ within battles for a particular province. In other words - start accumulating free xp for WoWP if you think about playing it.

Control systems: Keyboard only or keyboard and mouse or joystick or gamepad. Mouse controll uses uses the “ball on a string” mechanic by default to control plane movement. As you move the mouse, you’ll determine where your pilot attempts to fly (indicated by a ball “tied” to the gunnery crosshairs by a string).

Spotting mechanics work much like they do in World of Tanks, and as such, investing in camouflage makes players slightly less visible to enemies.

If you stay more than a few seconds off map, auto-pilot will bring you back onto the map.

A progress bar at the top of screen shows how close your team is to winning (or losing), either through air superiority or by destroying ground targets.

AI controlled tail gunners

Three types of aircraft - Bomber (dedicated for ground attack. AI controlled def turrets featured), Heavy fighter (dedicated for killing bombers but are perfectly capable of killing fighters or attacking ground targets), Fighter (can kill heavy fighters + bombers + other fighters). Video outlining the differences

Closed Beta Test of the  World of Warplanes will start on 31st of May.

Sources : WoWP faq + articles like this.

marmalade624 #2 Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4838 battles
No british, again? The brits fought the war from beginning to end, but they are not in release version?

Sergeant_Nick_Fury #3 Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 11497 battles
“Ball on a string” mechanic doesn't sound very teasing to me. I hope there'll be plain keyboard flight controls too.

Warenwolf #4 Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 10817 battles

View Postmarmalade624, on 20 May 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

No british, again? The brits fought the war from beginning to end, but they are not in release version?

No, the British are not featured although they have apparently priority (in introduction of new tech trees) -  British potential market share is too small (that is the brutal truth) and it seems WG considers interest in flying British aircraft = the British market (I think that is false) .  

Better split would be Soviet - Axis - Allied tech tree (which you then split in respective national tech trees)  but nobody asks me for mine opinion so...

View PostHelmutKohl, on 20 May 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

“Ball on a string” mechanic doesn't sound very teasing to me. I hope there'll be plain keyboard flight controls too.

There is keyboard only mode too. However be aware that analog input >>>> digital input (like keyboard) in any game where precision controls are required.

Sir_Tornado #5 Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 25771 battles
in 1916 big willie the first production tank was released!!!
in1915 vickers mounted a machinge gun on a biplane to create what was the first or one of the first fighter aircraft!

This is not a solo effort as usual many nations conribute to any inventions!

clearly though Great Britain has done something to upset Our Belarusdian development team? or perhaps Victor?

worlf of battleships.warships wont feature British ships either....

really......

the british market extends across the globe. we are mutlti national and multi cultural. consider the British Sovreign states.

Edited by JAFMANDADDY, 20 May 2012 - 10:42 AM.

czorny11 #6 Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:41 AM

Private

• Player
  • 4719 battles
I can't wait for the release! I applied for beta but still received no key. It's cool that we're be able to strafe ground targets.

Listy #7 Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 12095 battles

View PostWarenwolf, on 20 May 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

No, the British are not featured although they have apparently priority (in introduction of new tech trees) -  British potential market share is too small (that is the brutal truth) and it seems WG considers interest in flying British aircraft = the British market (I think that is false)

While I see the logic of that, I don't beleive the US server is thath eavilly populated. For some werid reason WoT dosen't seem to really gained traction in the US.

Warenwolf #8 Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 10817 battles

View PostListy, on 20 May 2012 - 12:09 PM, said:

While I see the logic of that, I don't beleive the US server is thath eavilly populated. For some werid reason WoT dosen't seem to really gained traction in the US.

Well, decisions like this are made on potential sales figures. It is more of "what-will-be". They achieved success with current formula  so I have my doubts that they will change it so late in the development.

As to US server numbers (much lower than EU): according to couple of friends of mine from over there, the entire thing of only driving tanks around is not that much appealing to the average guy over there and compared to comparable business companies WG never made that much noise about WoT in USA. On US market, WoT is simply a niche game. So it is not that much surprising really...

Roebuck34 #9 Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:23 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21658 battles
  • [SAT] SAT
great i have to go 2 lines on the american line :dry: just hope for heavy bombers like B-17 (hope i havent derped it up and there have been an anoncment that there will be no heavy bombers)

Tonyb1968 #10 Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:32 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27420 battles
  • [TEC] TEC
For the British tree which seems to have been missed out, you didnt just have Brits flying these planes, you also had Polish, Cech, Free French, (Canadian, Aus/NZ, South African pilots and the Eagle Squadron), so not just down to pure British (and dont forget the lease/lend of aircraft to the Soviet Union).
Im not the only on thinking it would be a bit of a mistake missing out the British tree (which is more of a jack of all countries).

DougHole #11 Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 7178 battles
Question: How easy are the planes to fly?

Warenwolf #12 Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 10817 battles

View PostDougHole, on 21 May 2012 - 02:34 PM, said:

Question: How easy are the planes to fly?

Well, if I gave you exact answer I would be braking NDA :Smile_Default:  . As mentioned, this is not a simulator so the control system is not as complicated as in a simulator game.

What I can say is that the control system is tad more complex than in WoT. The reason I can say so without braking NDA is that the producer  Anton Sitnikau already said so in an interview:

We are very aware that air combat has a very specific rhythm, tone, and style. You are always moving, the rate of fire is tremendous, and the balance of forces changes every second. You are also in 3-D space and need to constantly check vital parameters like the warplane's height and speed. This is a significant change from the two-dimensional arena of World of Tanks, where you can take your time behind cover, camp in bushes, or even go AFK for a while.

We do acknowledge that, potentially, the learning curve in World of Warplanes is much tougher than in World of Tanks. For this reason, we've drawn a strict line between rookies and veterans to make sure new players will never get into a battle against experienced pilots. This will allow players to gradually get used to controls, tactics, and cooperation so they will be led toward top-level aerial combat step-by-step.

-----------------------------

Im not the only on thinking it would be a bit of a mistake missing out the British tree

I agree with you.

---------------------

BTW, they are running a contest where you can win alpha access:

- Contest: Ready for Takeoff

Edited by Warenwolf, 21 May 2012 - 03:32 PM.

Also tagged with WoWP, World of Warplanes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users