Out of date rice pudding, should I or shouldn't I?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Out of date rice pudding, should I or shouldn't I? (27 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Should I eat this tin of rice pudding or throw it away?

1. You must eat it, it is a supreme technique in The Way of the Bachelor. (17 votes [62.96%])

Percentage of vote: 62.96%

2. You can not eat it, or you would let yourself and your ancestors down. (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

3. This question is beyond my skill or experience to answer. (6 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Hide poll

Cuddly_Spider #1 Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

Major

• Player
  • 28309 battles
So I was hungry earlier, and ventured int my rather threadbare cupboard in the area of my house I realize is probably called my kitchen (although I prefer the term "coffee preparation suite"), in order to find an item of suitable nutritional value.

In one of those there cupboards I find a tin of premade rice pudding. "Yay!" thinks the spider, and I hurriedly look for a clean (or at least not sticky) pan with which to heat up the item. Upon closer inspection however, I notice something deeply disturbing. The use-by date. 25/10/11. Yes, the organic compounds contained within the tin are old, but would the tin have protected them from the ravages of time?

I consulted two of my friends who are of the female persuasion (I know, I know! I'm a bit old fashioned so shoot me!), who both said the same thing - it is almost certainly still completely safe to eat, and that I should throw it out at once. Right, so that's helpful then!

I am turning to you, tankers, to help me decide whether or not eat this thing. Is it worth the risk? Or should I just go to the Chinese takeaway instead for some chips?

Morbius257 #2 Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 24976 battles
  • [S-O-S] S-O-S
if it dont trys to run away after opening its save imo.

Hell460 #3 Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 2534 battles
Ride pudding? Premade?
Throw it out as soon you see it. Always. Yes, that does also count for those on the shelf in the store.

elektrizikekswerk #4 Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 7453 battles
Step 1: Open it.
Step 2: See. If it looks strange, throw it away.
Step 3: Smell. If it smells strange, throw it away.
Step 4: Taste. If it tastes strange, throw it away.
Step 5: Heat it up. If it does strange things while doing so, throw it away.
Step 6: Eat it. If you get sick, you should have thrown it away.

handgranaat #5 Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4219 battles
If you are congested it can be a huge relief!

noobie #6 Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 25619 battles
eat it, before it eats you !

IBLiTZKRiEGI #7 Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 3275 battles
  • [WOLVE] WOLVE
I am out of my depth with this calibre of question.

Cuddly_Spider #8 Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

Major

• Player
  • 28309 battles

View PostIBLiTZKRiEGI, on 25 May 2012 - 09:00 PM, said:

I am out of my depth with this calibre of question.

Isn't this the thing though?

I've done advanced mathematics. I've read Aristotle, Kant, and Descartes. I've kept bees and gazed in wonder at the stars. I've shot people on a point and click video game and repaired peoples cars. Rarely has my path through life been so vexed by such a question as this.

It is a question which I've decided I do not need to answer tonight, for even as I type this I am preparing to put my boots on and head to the chippy. Within this place I shall ask for the chippy proprietor to furnish me with a bag of chips, so that they can travel home with me and I can eat them tonight.

However, the tin shall remain in my position upon the morrow, and I may have need for suitable sustinance then, so if anyone has an answer to this apparently unanswerable question please inform me so that I may be better informed.

And thank you for the answers so far.

Listy #9 Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 12095 battles
Ever heard of RICEin..

Ok I kid I kid. However:
http://en.wikipedia....Bacillus_cereus

And for a similary manly type, see this thread. In short, you're on your own mate!

deamy #10 Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:50 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 10731 battles
Tip from someone with experience of living in a hell-hole in the jungle for 6 months straight with no access to civilization:

If you don't eat you eventually die. If you eat, you maybe don't. If you get really bad then don't eat it again. Otherwise it's fine.

I've drank 12 year old Coca-Colas and eaten 15 year old cans of... something. It's perfectly fine. So are most smaller animals, including rats and lizards. You can eat stuff that been out in the open for a day or two without reheating it (it just gets a bit more "interesting" the longer you wait).

Don't be such a p*ssy. ;)

View PostListy, on 25 May 2012 - 10:16 PM, said:

And for a similary manly type, see this thread. In short, you're on your own mate!

Lols can you eat it 4 days after sale?

People would kill for that fresh meat in a lot of places. ;)

Listy #11 Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 12095 battles

View Postdeamy, on 26 May 2012 - 01:50 AM, said:

Lols can you eat it 4 days after sale?

People would kill for that fresh meat in a lot of places. ;)

Guessing you didn't read the entire thread :P

BattleMetalChris #12 Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9222 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I once found a jar of picked onions in my parents' cupboard that were fifteen years past their sell-by-date. I took them into school and we tried them - the vinegar had gone sweet like sugar-water.

PanzyBattalion #13 Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:24 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10884 battles
Well, problem with rice pudding is it looks horrible, tastes horrible and smells horrible when in date, but I guess that makes it a russian roulette food, I personally say eat it, never know, might see space and time :3

deamy #14 Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:41 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 10731 battles

View PostListy, on 27 May 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

Guessing you didn't read the entire thread :P

I did. You can even it eat raw (though it's not recommended unless you're a bit used to it). ;)

DougHole #15 Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 7178 battles
When I was a kid I begged my Dad to let me open the tin of cheese that had been in the family since 1943 when rationing was in place. It was a silver tin with no label, just the word

CHEESE

stamped on the top. He told me if I opened it I had to eat it all, and of course I swore I would.

On examining the content, it had shrunk inside the tin, or appeared to have done so, and there was a huge gap around the cheese itself. It was a dark yellow and smelt very strong, but not decayed.

On eating my first morsel of the item, I discovered it had become so rubberised it would not crumble in my mouth, and chewing it only resulted in swilling increasingly smaller pieces of this disgusting coagulated phosphorous foodstuff around my orifice.

On spitting it out, my Father of course gave me the 'I told you so' look and as was the case with Fathers in those days, told me to eat it all up - but after a great show of revulsion and begging for mercy my mother eventually intervened putting an end to this culinary nightmare.

The fateful tin was just like this

Posted Image

Roebuck34 #16 Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21658 battles
  • [SAT] SAT
step 1 open it

step 2 eat it in the bath room

step 3 need to puke? if so hey down the toilet!

Cuddly_Spider #17 Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:46 PM

Major

• Player
  • 28309 battles
I've subsisted upon chips so far this week, and other things besides (grapes being one of those other things). But the tin of rice pudding, the food item which has so vexed me recently, is still there, omnipresent within the confines of my food storage repository like so many submarines in a dry dock.

My days of playing Civilization 2 and 4, not to mention the X series of games, have left me very resource aware, and my brain understands that at some point in the future I may become hungry and require food. I do not want to throw this tin of rice pudding away, I want it to be used, I need it to be consumed (or maybe mined or farmed or something?)

Does anyone have any in date food they'd like to swap for this tin? I will take a lesser item in lieu of the fact that this thing is out of date and probably ready to evolve sentient intelligence.

deamy #18 Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 10731 battles

View PostCuddly_Spider, on 29 May 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

I've subsisted upon chips so far this week, and other things besides (grapes being one of those other things). But the tin of rice pudding, the food item which has so vexed me recently, is still there, omnipresent within the confines of my food storage repository like so many submarines in a dry dock.

My days of playing Civilization 2 and 4, not to mention the X series of games, have left me very resource aware, and my brain understands that at some point in the future I may become hungry and require food. I do not want to throw this tin of rice pudding away, I want it to be used, I need it to be consumed (or maybe mined or farmed or something?)

Does anyone have any in date food they'd like to swap for this tin? I will take a lesser item in lieu of the fact that this thing is out of date and probably ready to evolve sentient intelligence.

If you said this a few months ago I could offer delicacies like chicken feet, cow tongues, bull balls(!), pieces of dogs, whole baby pig, fried rat... South East Asia is great.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users