so just got my t20

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

vorlontank #1 Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
what now? advice please. do i drive it like my sherman? only have radio and 2nd gun so far

Ntown #2 Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
I used it like the first Sherman. Use your gun depression and try to flank them without getting shot. It has enough speed to retreat and good accuracy on the move. When you detrack them you could also circle lonely Heavys.
I use Rammer, Verts and Vents.

Hustodemon #3 Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Get better tracks ASAP, then turret and 90mm gun... with that, the T20 is a beast...
Until then, play it like normal Sherman, flanking higher tiers is essential with 76 mm gun (you should avoid tier IX and tier X heavies at any tim till 90mm gun, and even with 90mm gun flanking is advised), but it is hard without better tracks (turns like half-dead whale with rider on weed and vodka till upgrade)...

Ironclad #4 Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:37 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
first, get the 90mm. performance before is bad, just endure it. Once you have the 90mm it get's awesome.
Mount a vertical stab. it is a big advantage that you can mount it on tier 7.
Make use of the gundepresion and of the low high.

dawdler #5 Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:44 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostIronclad, on 26 May 2012 - 11:37 PM, said:

Once you have the 90mm it get's awesome.
Funny, I find an elite T20 with the M1A2 perform a bit better :Smile_confused:
The 90mm is sooooooo sloooooooow.

The thing with the T20 is that it doesnt have the stamina to engage... well any tank. Its hull and turret are both shit and at that tier even the 90mm fall flat against a majority of tanks. You want to either flank them or avoid them. In any scenario, the difference between the 76mm and 90mm is negligable. Either way the T20 will require you to drive it like a scout.

WarMaster #6 Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:36 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
10 battles with my new T20 (yeeeah!!) and I only fought in tier10 battles. Of course I can't judge with so few battles. How the matchmaking is for you guys?
2nd question... The second engine (I don't remember the type), how much improves the speed?

BlueRequiem #7 Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostWarMaster, on 28 May 2012 - 07:36 AM, said:

10 battles with my new T20 (yeeeah!!) and I only fought in tier10 battles. Of course I can't judge with so few battles. How the matchmaking is for you guys?
2nd question... The second engine (I don't remember the type), how much improves the speed?
Actually the GAN Engine improves the tank no end, you will struggle to reach 50kmh without it, quite easily the most important 40hp you'll ever have IMO, I didn't think it would change much so I used free xp for everything else (well, tracks and turret, I had the rest already) and was underwhelmed by the performance of T20 compared to E8, the engine comes close to rectifying that problem.

ollonborre #8 Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
The T20 is just an amazing piece of machinery.I have played it so far in 46 battles, with a 67 % win ratio, 86 % hit ratio and 808 average XP per battle :Smile_great: . It is very agile and with insane gun+depression you will laugh at that Type trying to hit you on hilly ground while you eat his cupola.

The armour is bad however, and pretty much anything can pen you. The turret can bounce sometimes, but not those high pen guns on higher tiers. Which brings me to the matchmaking. It is not THAT bad. Sure you will face some tier 9 and 10 battles since you are a tier 7 medium after all. But even in those battles your speed and agility will keep you alive and your great gun does some damage against highly armoured targets (if you know about their weakspots).

In conclusion I can easily say that it is one of my favourite mediums, and I will probably keep it even when I get my pershing :Smile_glasses:

Rhinogobius #9 Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:55 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
First day of T20 and very impressed by it- but is anyone using the 105mm HE tier 5 gun as seems to be strange to have that as one of the last unlocks for this tank.

vorlontank #10 Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
hmm i'd like to know too. i just unlocked the 2nd turret and am working toward the next gun (90mm) but already have unlocked the 10.5, so should i use that for now? or stick with the awsome rof of the m1a2

ManiacMadness #11 Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:21 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles
Just got my T20 today and played one game before I had to leave so I haven't had any time to form an opinion about it.

But what I can say about your gun question, I'd go for the epic rof of the m1a2, it treated me very well on the Jumbo though with the T20 I expect it to be more of a flanking tank.

Let's see how it;'s gonna treat me.

VaHaLa_LTU #12 Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
I'd say get the tracks first, they actually make the biggest difference for me!

Also, an interesting thing:
T20 is low enough with the top turret (which is smaller than stock) to actually be almost safe when parked next to bigger German heavies. All you need to watch out for is them hitting your turret, and the easiest way to do so is to move back and forth unpredictably! I find this very effective against Maus and E-75. Tiger II works too, since it got enlarged in the previous patches, tiger H is practically screwed if you do that to him too! Just don't do it to E-100, it seems to be able to hit your hull anyway, I guess it is a bit lower than other heavies!

Oh, and make sure to abuse your epic gun depression! You can literally poke out just the top of your turret over the hill and fire with the T20, and it is good practice for Pershing and Patton too! Just don't ever expect to circle heavies (unless it is a KV-2 or such), as T20 loses much more speed than E8 while turning.

T20 also seems to have great accuracy on the move, so if you are at ranges of ~150m, you can actually take pot shots at things with a very good chance to hit them (this becomes even better with vertical stab and GLD!).

Lastly, you might want to use M1A2 gun sometimes too, it sort of fits the general speed of the tank, but I found increased penetration of M3 just that little bit more suitable, as T20 plays better as a rapid attack/support tank.

Hope that helps!

Edited by VaHaLa_LTU, 09 June 2012 - 08:37 PM.

Hat3breeder #13 Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
I'm not yet capable of giving you exact tips on how to play it (only have 71 battles) beyond the knowledge that you should already have from driving American mediums, so I'll just share my experience/opinion about the T20.

You know, I'm having kind of 60/40% or 70/30% on a love-hate relation with the T20.

Most times, I absolutely love it:
  • Great gun, the 90mm packs indeed a very good punch;
  • Decent mobility overall;
  • The good top seed comes in hand (when compared with the Easy 8) to relocate from long distances;
  • And amazing hull down, which is always a great advantage (though I'll discuss later up to which point)!

Other not-so-often-but-often-enough times I kind of hate it:
  • The reload times kills me inside, from time to time, lasting some painfully long 9 to 10 seconds;
  • Paper-think armor and even though you have a decent amount of HP, it's really annoying to have every low tier going through your armor with ease, not to mention, module damage like hell and forget about staying alive if the arty gods decide to aim at you;
  • Putting aside the top speed, the tank is far less maneuverable than the Easy 8 and you WILL notice it;
  • The hull down is only good to a certain point, because at the end of the day your flat turret only has some pathetic non-slopped 88 mm of armor.
So yeah, I guess that's it.
My only real complains are the slow reload time, specially when the T-43 gets a better RoF, while having better penetration and nearly same damage, and the weak turret. I don't mind the weak hull, it comes with the US line, but the lacking armor of the turret combined with its size (the turret is not necessarily big, but the front part is sufficiently tall and flat to be shot with some ease) makes going hull-down kind of pointless, sometimes.

But mind this is only my opinion, nothing else. More experienced T20 players might differ from it.
Cheers.

ShadyDave #14 Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Played my first two battles today after having purchased it some time ago - currently running with:

90% crew (just about to hit Brothers in Arms, at which point I'll take Recon, Clutch Braking, Snap Shot etc).
All upgrades except the 90mm
Vstab + Rammer + Vents
Derp or 76mm? Haven't decided yet and played one game in each. I'm something of a sucker for HE but I know the 76mm can, in the right situations be quite effective - 2.75second reload time and very reasonable penetration for attacking the flank/rear of a lot of tanks.

As predicted it is sluggish compared to the astonishingly nimble Easy8 but as part of a wolf pack I haven't experienced any problems and I'm sure that once I have my crew sufficiently experienced then it will improve tremendously.

Just don't get shot - also as noted :)

SlicerDicer #15 Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
First adivce:
Play scared
Play wimpy

Unliek the E8 where you could zoom in and allow rof to take over, or with the E2 where you could bounce a few hits; the T20 is absolute paper. It's not a superb circler or CQC tank either because it is too big and it's reload is too long. So flank and RETREAT. SNIPE and NEVER STAY waiting for enemy tanks to close in on you.

ShadyDave #16 Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Played 19 and won.....5

:Smile-angry:

Just unlocked the 90mm but I don't seem to get a chance to do much - the MM seems incredibly harsh and given how fragile/relatively slow the T20 is I have little to no say on the outcome of a battle. Fully upgraded, 92% crew + modules as above and I keep thinking that yet again, I've bought a high tier tank I simply do not have the skill to play to go alongside my T28, Ferdinand, ISU 152, IS3, Batchat......

Yeah. Losing sleep over this game is probably a sign I should knock it on the head.

scafa #17 Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
While T20 goes relatively fast in a straight line, it's sluggish in turns. This makes it hard to brawl like you would in E8 as you can't circle enemies close and fast enough. The 90mm gun doesn't have too good DPM as the reload is slow, but the added penetration helps tons against many of the tanks you'll regularly face. Even so 160mm won't be enough to frontally penetrate most of the enemies.

It's vital to learn to employ the good gun depression to fire over hills while only showing your turret. Not that your turret is going to bounce any shots, but it's a small target and using vertical stabilizer and the relevant crew skills you won't be exposed for a long time.

T20 has a fair view range and can scout a bit, if you use coated optics and the relevant crew skills (camo, sixth sense, recon, situational awareness).

And generally avoid taking damage. Don't fight with anyone face to face - even low tiers will damage you so stick behind hills and cover to reload. Shoot the enemy when he's aiming in another direction. If the enemy is aiming at you and a friend of yours is shooting at him, stay in cover and let your friend put in free shots.

AbacusAce #18 Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
I've had my T20 for a good week now, its one of my favorite tanks due to its combination of speed and firepower. Its fantastic at flanking and should be used as such.
The Hull Armour is incredibly weak and will bounce very little of what comes at you and so you should avoid direct confrontation, especially against heavy tanks.
It can also be a good arty rusher, if you find an opening, take it. Although be warned, the T20s low armour means artillery hits will do high amounts of damage.
In fact, I did a battle on malinova. Was top tank and had 5 frags with no damage, approached an enemy M41 SPG, and he hit me and knocked out all 5 of my crew

Squexxo #19 Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
It is, as it always is...play it a little bit and find the "correct" handling of the T20 and then you'll have fun with it.

FailAccount #20 Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Can u upgrade the turret before getting the tracks? I have the upgraded engine