M26 Pershing?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

brick128 #1 Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:01 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I've got one now fully researched but haven't got a clue how to play with it.

I find it just a tat to slow to reach the good interception spots safely in time.
Also to slow to outflank enemy.

As the MM usually throw me into tier 9+ games there are a lot of tanks I have big trouble to penetrate in the front so also not really suitable for second line support tank role.

And with the horrible inaccuracy of the gun sniping isn't a real option to.

The think I really like is the gun depression and on a rare few maps this is a real winner.

Now I know I only played 40 something games with this tank. More than one kill per game, 60% win ratio 1235 average damage and 798 xp per game. Not bad stats I think but I have the feeling I don't use it to its full effect.

Anybody got tips for me how to use this tank in the way its supposed to?

raverick #2 Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:20 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
M26 Pershing is best VIII tier medium tank. Bouncy,good agility,good sniper mode,good on-move-shooting,good cannon.If you have skilled crew...man,you are destroyer.
Style of play-Well first,be the supporter of heavies,then learn how to be mixer (brawler-supporter-sniper).With second turret you chance to bounce of some shells are increased.
That's all I'm gonna tell ya.
For supporter - if you passed T20,then you don't know how to drive by that style.
For brawler and sniper - if you passed Easy 8 Sherman and you still doesn't know how to be that...Then,I'm sorry,move to other tank tree.

brick128 #3 Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:51 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postraverick, on 08 June 2012 - 01:20 AM, said:

M26 Pershing is best VIII tier medium tank. Bouncy,good agility,good sniper mode,good on-move-shooting,good cannon.If you have skilled crew...man,you are destroyer.
Style of play-Well first,be the supporter of heavies,then learn how to be mixer (brawler-supporter-sniper).With second turret you chance to bounce of some shells are increased.
That's all I'm gonna tell ya.
For supporter - if you passed T20,then you don't know how to drive by that style.
For brawler and sniper - if you passed Easy 8 Sherman and you still doesn't know how to be that...Then,I'm sorry,move to other tank tree.
I have 100% crew. Transferred them from T82 so first skill is camo :Smile_confused: , not my favorite for meds.

With brawling I get set on fire every other shot. Today burned out three times. All three due to multiple fires.
Also the acceleration is to slow to get at speed again after getting tracked.

Sniper is ok but to many wasted shot due to bad accuracy.
Support role is ok unless you face tier 8+ tanks, just to little penetration.

I've played T-20. Didn't do to bad in it. But T-20 has much better MM.
Also the Easy 8 I've played and again a much more friendly MM.

PvtBaker #4 Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:11 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Until you get the upgraded engine it is as slow as a heavy. This is the first thing you should upgrade.

Iron_Snake #5 Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:16 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
I think your stats with Pershing are OK, keep up with good work! Advices, well equip vertical stab and shoot other tanks on the move, drive-by style, works like a charm!

BanzaiBonsai #6 Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:19 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Pershing can damage all T8 tanks frontally... matchmaking with it isnt too bad, I mostly get t8 games, and thats where it is absolutely awesome to drive.
It might be a bit slow (so is the Patton) but you shouldn't really try to dogfight other mediums for important positions on the map alone unless you are a good player. It's pretty good in popping out of cover or looking over any kind of slope (youll find some on any map) also the acceleration on low speed is pretty good so you can just dance a little forward and backward if you only show your turret f.e., it's a pretty good strategy with mediums who don't have good armor to make people miss or shoot your tracks for 0 dmg. I can't really explain too well how I drive it myself, but I guess the results show it's a pretty good tank.
I actually bought it back 2 days ago <3

brick128 #7 Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:43 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Well, my win rate dropped horribly tonight. Needed 8 games to double up.

Its growing on more and more.

Only frustrating thing is that I do insane amounts of 0 crits on tier 8+ tanks.

It doesn't hit on the move like my Chaffee or T-54 but I can see it has great potential, just have to figure out where to aim on the move.

raverick #8 Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:29 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
First.That camo,i dunno does it work on tanks as size of T32,maybe some.For meds you must have 100% repair,if you wanna stay alive.Cannon is very good,maybe perfect with rammer and vertical stab. For its tier is best balanced tank.Maybe Lorraine have the cannon power,but he reloads 1.5 minutes with last cannon.T-44 is agile and small but is too soft,absorbs every shell if you firing at accurately,not like type-59.King Panther and Pershing are maybe equal,but you have acceleration and agility,and better gun depression!

MichelDB #9 Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Mediums, you peek and shoot, flank and distract, hide and snipe. The idea is to keep moving or stand on a spot where they cant shoot you. If you get hit, it's okay since you can tank 2 or 3. If you can't penetrate, go for the tracks. Let arty kill them or shoot their track where they have no armor. Like above said, you can shoot from places where no other medium has a clear shot thanks to your gun depression. Use it!

deveen23 #10 Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Well, first you have to get it fully upgraded. Actually, the things you point out as problems are two of the strong points of Pershing, notably very fair MM it usually gets as well as the accuracy of the long 90mm gun. I often shoot on the move, demolish buildings and shoot from far distances and still have some 78% hit ratio. The long 90 is also usually able to penetrate lower plates of tier 8 heavies, if not angled badly.

Pershing is more of a half-medium, half-heavy, so you can play it a bit more straight up in certain matchups, as you will be able to bounce shots and take damage. Utilise your gun mantlet, which is virtually impenetrable.

Chernobyl_Kinsman #11 Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:02 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
remember to use your gun depression at every opportunity, not only do you provide a smaller target when you are aiming, you have only to reverse slightly to be in full LoS cover again.  It's actually a huge advantage over other mediums when utilised to its fullest, so always be looking for places you can make use of it.

Iron_Snake #12 Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:17 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Sold my Pershing to get Patton. I had a big problem with having type money maker, so I couldn't mastery the king of meds. Still, it's awesome tank!

Grafix_01 #13 Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:13 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
Dudes - encourage me....?

I like meds and instantly enjoyed the 'feel' of this tank but......

37 games later and despite averaging about 1100 dmg/battle, 83% hit rate and several 5-kill rounds I just cannot buy a win it seems - an awful 35% W/R (all randoms).

Logically I keep telling myself that its just the RNG at work but it hardly encourages me to use this tank at the moment. Its been soooo frustrating.

Somebody tell me it will get better! :Smile_sceptic:

Cheers,

hazzin #14 Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostGrafix_01, on 12 June 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

It will. :Smile_Default: Best tank in the game. Just be patient. :Smile_blinky:

deveen23 #15 Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostGrafix_01, on 12 June 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

Dudes - encourage me....?

I like meds and instantly enjoyed the 'feel' of this tank but......

37 games later and despite averaging about 1100 dmg/battle, 83% hit rate and several 5-kill rounds I just cannot buy a win it seems - an awful 35% W/R (all randoms).

Logically I keep telling myself that its just the RNG at work but it hardly encourages me to use this tank at the moment. Its been soooo frustrating.

Cheers,

You have it fully upgraded yet? 1100 DPB is a bit low though you seem to hit very well.

FetterFettsack #16 Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:09 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Pershing is an awesome tank. Even a not very sophisticated player like me was able to get a 64% winrate in over 200 battles. DPM is also quite acceptable and i nearly have 1.5 kills each game over all (including the less good games at the beginning). At the end you will love it.

Edited by FetterFettsack, 13 June 2012 - 01:10 AM.

Grafix_01 #17 Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

View Postdeveen23, on 12 June 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

You have it fully upgraded yet? 1100 DPB is a bit low though you seem to hit very well.

Deveen - thanks for the pointer - it is fully upgraded so if you think my damage per battle is low I'll keep that in mind - maybe I'm taking too long to aim?

I've found the gun to be a bit weaker (pen) than I expected (more bounces) so have - perhaps wrongly - resorted to lobbing HE at times from distance and switching to AP when closer.

I realise I'll need to get to 100 games to be able to judge it properly - in the meantime I'll perhaps try firing more often and with less aim-time.

Have to say though some of it is just bad 'luck' I'm certainly no tanker-ace but have twice managed 5 kills and lost the match in the Pershing - you look up to see its 10:3 on the scoreboard after three minutes and you know you are in trouble!

Cheers,

deveen23 #18 Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostGrafix_01, on 13 June 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

Deveen - thanks for the pointer - it is fully upgraded so if you think my damage per battle is low I'll keep that in mind - maybe I'm taking too long to aim?

I've found the gun to be a bit weaker (pen) than I expected (more bounces) so have - perhaps wrongly - resorted to lobbing HE at times from distance and switching to AP when closer.

I'll lose modesty here and say I consider myself to be a fairly good player, and I have 1610 DPB with the Persh, so you can see it almost 50% more than what you have at the moment. I wouln't say to anyone not to take time aiming, unless in a very close encounter, so that's probably not your problem. If anything, be more patient, don't shoot on sight, if you can, wait for the enemy to expose its side to you. I rarely use HE, pretty much only over big distance and against targets I couldn't penetrate otherwise, such as E-75 frontally. Or if a tank has few % left so I don't wanna risk a bounce. Don't be fooled by the gun, it has very good penetration, but you do have to aim at weaker areas, like lower plates. You should be able to fairly regularly penetrate most of your usual counterparts frontally, like IS-3, Tiger 2, even Type, at ranges of 200-300 meters. Also, if you see them rush towards you, try to detrack them so they turn their side to you. 100 games is fairly low, you will get better over time, as you learn more what you can and cannot do with the tank.

Platypusbill #19 Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View Postdeveen23, on 13 June 2012 - 05:03 PM, said:

I'll lose modesty here and say I consider myself to be a fairly good player, and I have 1610 DPB with the Persh, so you can see it almost 50% more than what you have at the moment. I wouln't say to anyone not to take time aiming, unless in a very close encounter, so that's probably not your problem. If anything, be more patient, don't shoot on sight, if you can, wait for the enemy to expose its side to you. I rarely use HE, pretty much only over big distance and against targets I couldn't penetrate otherwise, such as E-75 frontally. Or if a tank has few % left so I don't wanna risk a bounce. Don't be fooled by the gun, it has very good penetration, but you do have to aim at weaker areas, like lower plates. You should be able to fairly regularly penetrate most of your usual counterparts frontally, like IS-3, Tiger 2, even Type, at ranges of 200-300 meters. Also, if you see them rush towards you, try to detrack them so they turn their side to you. 100 games is fairly low, you will get better over time, as you learn more what you can and cannot do with the tank.
Theoretically, the Pershing could penetrate Types easily, but I often facehug and aim down at their hull to make sure.

Luis85 #20 Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:40 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles
Hi, i dont play the game too much so probably most people will say that i dont know what i'm saying but for me this tank is weak. With the upgraded cannon i have trouble with penetrating side armor not mentin the front, of Tier 8 tanks (heavies and mediums), at close range 3 out of 5 shots are bounced (really anoying), and in 90% of occasions the first hit i take kills or wounds the gunner. I i said that's just my opinion.

P.S. English isn't my first language so i apologize for my mistakes.