AMX 13 90 in 7.5 are they mad or still op?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
256 replies to this topic

Slyspy #241 Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14289 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostknightM, on 30 August 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

Chaffee
- dies to 1 shot to just about all tier 10 tanks and most 9s.
- is not as fast
- with 120 alpha is not as good at picking off weak targets

The Chaffee does die faster, if spotted. But whether your Chaffee dies in one or two shots or the AMX in two or three is hardly here or there. The Chaffee is also slower than the AMX. However the acceleration and agility of the Chaffee is significantly better, far more suitable for a scout. The Chaffee's alpha isn't as good but the aimtime and rate of fire is significantly higher (no 40 second reload catching you with your pants down) plus the Chaffee can actually fire up and down hills, go hull down and so on.

View PostGneckes, on 30 August 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

Takes up less of a matchmaking slot tho. Sure, an AMX1390 can scout, but using one just like that is a waste of a slot. If that's all it can do well, then the tank is bad. Simple.

There is that too. The AMXs should have been redesigned as end of line French scouts, not pushed up a tier with a new tank added.

View PostknightM, on 30 August 2012 - 12:42 PM, said:

It's not like I'm using it only for scouting, but more of a scout than a med.

Anyway I got 70% winrate on mine, with about 10 company battles and 3-4 games in a platoon, so it sure ain't bad. If I count only 7.5 I played only around 10 solo games and won 8 or 9 of them.

A small sample size doesn't mean much. But if you continue on those lines then please post some replays to help me out!

delaBoujardiere #242 Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:49 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 58742 battles
HEHE jUST KILLED T110E5 and Object 268 in Grand park with my 13 90 :Smile_trollface-3::Smile_trollface-3::Smile_trollface-3::Smile_veryhappy:

Edited by delaBoujardiere, 02 September 2012 - 07:50 AM.

Eisgenosse #243 Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19933 battles
I got the 13 90 only after the 7.5 update. I took me some 200 battles to get the hang of it. The most important lesson learned is: It cannot hold a position for more than 15 seconds - then it's dead. So, since then I switched the crew skill to sixth sense and camo as second skill - and with a total change of tactics i'm very succesful in it. I do have the aiming time reducer thing too...

I do some cautious mobile scouting first in most maps, then get back, try to intercept enemy scouts and after 2 - 3 minutes choose a battle of heavies to engage and help. But only to my conditions and when enemy is not aware of my appearance.

Best example is Westfield map. AMX 13 90 usually starts in the valley, but I cannot stay there as you need to hold position usually. So after many frustrating games I decided to go up the hill and assist in the hilly part above the village - that's excellent AMX terrain. There it's great as you may pop up, circle and unload. It makes a big difference in many games to have an AMX up there. But as I said, if an enemy tank has the tactical advantage and may dictacte the terms of engagement, you're usually lost in free terrain. This also applies to the situation when the enemy turret looks at you. Don't even think of " one more shot", you should be away already.

So, i find it very challenging to play but very rewarding too. I do have a little above 700 xp in average on it now, but i'm sure it's going to rise quite a bit as the first 200 battles were not good at all.

Ah, yes, what I almost forgot: Except when doing anti scouting, I don't even bother with firing on the move. But in close fighting, it's possible to take out just about any tank. Strangely, my most successfull kills are the E 50's. I really like it when they are coming in for the "easy kill".

Edited by dominic2008, 02 September 2012 - 12:07 PM.

delaBoujardiere #244 Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 58742 battles

View Postdominic2008, on 02 September 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

I got the 13 90 only after the 7.5 update. I took me some 200 battles to get the hang of it. The most important lesson learned is: It cannot hold a position for more than 15 seconds - then it's dead. So, since then I switched the crew skill to sixth sense and camo as second skill - and with a total change of tactics i'm very succesful in it. I do have the aiming time reducer thing too...

I do some cautious mobile scouting first in most maps, then get back, try to intercept enemy scouts and after 2 - 3 minutes choose a battle of heavies to engage and help. But only to my conditions and when enemy is not aware of my appearance.

Best example is Westfield map. AMX 13 90 usually starts in the valley, but I cannot stay there as you need to hold position usually. So after many frustrating games I decided to go up the hill and assist in the hilly part above the village - that's excellent AMX terrain. There it's great as you may pop up, circle and unload. It makes a big difference in many games to have an AMX up there. But as I said, if an enemy tank has the tactical advantage and may dictacte the terms of engagement, you're usually lost in free terrain. This also applies to the situation when the enemy turret looks at you. Don't even think of " one more shot", you should be away already.

So, i find it very challenging to play but very rewarding too. I do have a little above 700 xp in average on it now, but i'm sure it's going to rise quite a bit as the first 200 battles were not good at all.

Ah, yes, what I almost forgot: Except when doing anti scouting, I don't even bother with firing on the move. But in close fighting, it's possible to take out just about any tank. Strangely, my most successfull kills are the E 50's. I really like it when they are coming in for the "easy kill".

Quite right most of your comments; I find it rewarding to kill art's. Still there are some maps I find almost impossible to take advantage for 13 90 - maps that are just too tight to find gaps for sneaking past foe.
I think most players find it very frustrating dealing against tier 10. I say just deal with it - sooner or later you just find a way to adapt.
At the moment my WR is 56% whats yours Domi?

Eisgenosse #245 Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:44 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19933 battles
It's at 53 % right now... I play randoms only but I'd like to get it up to 57 %. I do have 1400 battles in a VK2801 and 800 in an ELC AMX - both with 57 %.

Let's see. What worked well for me when I don't know what to: Ninja scouting, wait, assist a little with 0 risk. I try to live till late in the game. At the end, an AMX still alive makes a very big difference again and it's paradise like taking out lonely, damaged tanks. Or when I feel that damaging or taking out one or to tanks has a big influence on the game, I do it. Even if it's suicide.

But it's much easier to write about then to play. Sure, it's an arty hunter too. But I die so often on the way to the arty, I'm much better in finishing off the fat guys who are concentrated in dogfighting with our fat ones.

Or let me say it this way:

It's the same problem as with the lorraine (there it's even worse), its the hp you have. It's too high. Imagine you sit an ELC AMX and cannot afford to take a single shot, maybe one when you go in sometimes, ok, but not more. You're playstyle is much different then - that's the key so success imo. As you're such an easy kill everyone shoots at you first.

Edited by dominic2008, 02 September 2012 - 09:03 PM.

delaBoujardiere #246 Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:02 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 58742 battles

View Postdominic2008, on 02 September 2012 - 08:44 PM, said:

It's at 53 % right now... I play randoms only but I'd like to get it up to 57 %. I do have 1400 battles in a VK2801 and 800 in an ELC AMX - both with 57 %.

Let's see. What worked well for me when I don't know what to: Ninja scouting, wait, assist a little with 0 risk. I try to live till late in the game. At the end, an AMX still alive makes a very big difference again and it's paradise like taking out lonely, damaged tanks. Or when I feel that damaging or taking out one or to tanks has a big influence on the game, I do it. Even if it's suicide.

But it's much easier to write about then to play. Sure, it's an arty hunter too. But I die so often on the way to the arty, I'm much better in finishing off the fat guys who are concentrated in dogfighting with our fat ones.

Or let me say it this way:

It's the same problem as with the lorraine (there it's even worse), its the hp you have. It's too high. Imagine you sit an ELC AMX and cannot afford to take a single shot, maybe one when you go in sometimes, ok, but not more. You're playstyle is much different then - that's the key so success imo. As you're such an easy kill everyone shoots at you first.

You're right; I find it quite frustrating seeing other 13 90 rush in the first part of battle just to get eliminated for no reason...

Slyspy #247 Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:06 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14289 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
The more I play the AMX13/90 the less I think of it. The autoloader has become more of a hindrance than a help while the lack of agility really lets me down.

Slyspy #248 Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:36 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14289 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I'm just about done now. There is nothing this tank can do which can't be done better by other vehicles.

Specifically I'm tired of my light tank (with 50% cammo crew) being spotted by tier ten TDs well before I see them. I'll give it a few more games and then the tank is gone. I'll reinvest the credits in getting the tier five scouts. I'll keep the crew since they are experienced and maybe WG will eventually change the AMX tanks to make them playable.

Consilium #249 Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:25 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17823 battles
  • [DKAII] DKAII
I like it. Still maintaining my average xp ( around 600 no prem ), 61% WR, Effieciency has gone a bit up to 1616.

delaBoujardiere #250 Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:27 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 58742 battles

View PostSlyspy, on 11 September 2012 - 11:36 PM, said:

I'm just about done now. There is nothing this tank can do which can't be done better by other vehicles.

Specifically I'm tired of my light tank (with 50% cammo crew) being spotted by tier ten TDs well before I see them. I'll give it a few more games and then the tank is gone. I'll reinvest the credits in getting the tier five scouts. I'll keep the crew since they are experienced and maybe WG will eventually change the AMX tanks to make them playable.
Slipsy, you cant convert french team into an other scout tank - there arent any french scout...

Consilium #251 Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17823 battles
  • [DKAII] DKAII

View PostdelaBoujardiere, on 13 September 2012 - 07:27 AM, said:

Slipsy, you cant convert french team into an other scout tank - there arent any french scout...
U joking right? I can scout very well with my ELC and both AMX 13 75/90. Small, fast, good view range, good camo. Dafuq else u need for scouting other than a brain?

azakow #252 Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 79243 battles

View PostSlyspy, on 11 September 2012 - 11:36 PM, said:

Specifically I'm tired of my light tank (with 50% cammo crew) being spotted by tier ten TDs well before I see them. .....  I'll keep the crew since they are experienced and maybe WG will eventually change the AMX tanks to make them playable.
The crew will still be at 50% camo in the future, hence the problem will persist and you will have even more tier 10 vehicles.
ATM, there is 2x on crew training for each battle, a good chance to push the crew skills.

P.S.:
You will have the same problem with LT5 of other nations for at least 300+ battles with a compareable MM.
The grass ain't much greener on the other side!

delaBoujardiere #253 Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 58742 battles

View PostConsilium, on 13 September 2012 - 10:09 AM, said:

U joking right? I can scout very well with my ELC and both AMX 13 75/90. Small, fast, good view range, good camo. Dafuq else u need for scouting other than a brain?

Just keep sit on the floor and keep playing with your crayons while us big'uns discuss proper things. If you have read Slipsis' comment you would have understand that he doesnt want to scout in a AMX. While you have the brain to scout in a T34 or even your mammys used tampoon, thats your choice...

There are limits in discussion that you cant cross. Rules are very clear:

2.1 Forum etiquette
Users are not allowed to abuse others, make personal attacks or behave disrespectfully. This prohibition applies to both public threads and private messages (PMs). Disrespect can include:
1. Flaming
2. Trolling
3. Harassment or Defamatory remarks
4. Profanity, Inappropriate language or abbreviations there of
5. Personal abuse or attacks
6. Racial, religious, Sexual, national or ethnic, slurs or insults, This includes "jokes" in bad taste.
7. Excessive Capitalization

If a member is found to have participated in such actions, he/she will:
• Be temporarily banned from the World of Tanks forums
• Be given a final warning, with any further violations possibly resulting in permanent ban from the forums

For making insults, and too aggressive comments in your post you are issued read only status on forum.
/BigBadVuk

SilentFighterUS #254 Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:07 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 16599 battles
Can´t actually wait to get rid of this underperforming "scout/med hybrid" that sucks in both ways - simply not agile to scout + gun is like party popper, 170 penn mostly in T10 matches really sucks, but it wouldn´t be that bad without that unbelievably bad aimtime and reload speed. Right now - this tank can barely hold its own duties on battlefield even in T8 battles but in T10, you are basically doomed...

Slyspy #255 Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:59 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14289 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostConsilium, on 12 September 2012 - 11:25 AM, said:

I like it. Still maintaining my average xp ( around 600 no prem ), 61% WR, Effieciency has gone a bit up to 1616.

I wish I had your level of success.

View Postazakow, on 13 September 2012 - 10:09 AM, said:

The crew will still be at 50% camo in the future, hence the problem will persist and you will have even more tier 10 vehicles.
ATM, there is 2x on crew training for each battle, a good chance to push the crew skills.

P.S.:
You will have the same problem with LT5 of other nations for at least 300+ battles with a compareable MM.
The grass ain't much greener on the other side!

Agreed, the grass isn't always greener. But I feel that currently I am not an asset in my tier eight light while I may be less of a liability in a tier five light! Plus the French crew would go to barracks to be stored until such time as I deem fit!

View PostdelaBoujardiere, on 13 September 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

Just keep sit on the floor and keep playing with your crayons while us big'uns discuss proper things. If you have read Slipsis' comment you would have understand that he doesnt want to scout in a AMX. While you have the brain to scout in a T34 or even your mammys used tampoon, thats your choice...

I don't mind scouting in the AMX. It just seems a waste of a tier eight slot in games which often also feature tier five scouts and "lesser" AMX varients against tier ten tanks which themslves have impressive viewranges.

Edit:

Two games today. Got shotgunned by a GWPanther in a game in which Batchats did the interference/skirmishing thing far better than I could. Second one I was near the top of the list. Missed a whole clip firing at an unaware enemy's flank at medium range. Missed another two rounds at an enemy T25/2 at close range which I stumbled across while spotting their arty (although two morewent home, one was zero damage). The terrible aim time rendered the rapid fire useless. Maybe I should have closed the range, but firing on the move is weak too, as is moving across open ground.

Edited by Slyspy, 17 September 2012 - 12:00 AM.

Slyspy #256 Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14289 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
At last a Scout medal in my AMX 13/90! Still took a couple of hits though since the machine is just so sluggish but I survived. But successful scouting in a game in which only one tank and the arty were lower tier than me helped the team to arty the enemy to death. Trouble is that despite the spots I only got 2304 exp and that was during the x3 event. Plus 16000 credits, 9000 of which went on repairs. Given that I'm currently on a premium account that isn't great so I guess I could have lit the enemy up more. But that would have meant standing in the open.

Nirvana #257 Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:10 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18988 battles
Dunno, I still seem to be doing fine in it. I play it mostly as a scout, but I'm not afraid to get shot in order to do damage (HP pool helps). The only way it can actually deal damage is up close and personal. Has trouble hitting, penetrating or doing damage at range . I particularly hate fighting KV-4 and 5s, as they simply eat my shells, even on the sides or rear :/. Other than that, still a blast to drive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users