The European Parliament has voted down ACTA!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

XxXSpottedYouXxX #1 Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

General

• Player
  • 23824 battles
  • [4077] 4077
http://www.geekosyst...ta-rejected-eu/

This is a huge victory!.

However this is sadly not the end :/.

Edited.

wsatnutter #2 Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 25109 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
wtf are you on about

Grand_Moff_Tano #3 Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 1764 battles
  • [BC28] BC28
At least we don't need Anonymous to get involved lol

LostSpider #4 Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 22686 battles
I have no problems with acta, I do pay for the music I have and I beleive in intelectual property.

And you are wrong about the european parliament, his vote is just symbolic, the real power on this issue is with the european commision.

Edited by LostSpider, 17 July 2012 - 04:13 PM.

XxXSpottedYouXxX #5 Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

General

• Player
  • 23824 battles
  • [4077] 4077
Did you read the part where it said 400+ against and only 30+ not against.

To think you will claim a victory in another demise now is absurdly wrong its a clear victory here.

LostSpider #6 Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 22686 battles

View PostDerRizerPin, on 17 July 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

Did you read the part where it said 400+ against and only 30+ not against.

To think you will claim a victory in another demise now is absurdly wrong its a clear victory here.

They could vote 4'000,000 against 1 in favor, makes no difference, it is just symbolic, inform yourself how the european unions works.

XxXSpottedYouXxX #7 Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

General

• Player
  • 23824 battles
  • [4077] 4077

View PostLostSpider, on 17 July 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

They could vote 4'000,000 against 1 in favor, makes no difference, it is just symbolic, inform yourself how the european unions works.

I have no idea why you are so angry you must of been one of them 39 people i suggest.

I have no reason to introduce myself into politics.

WhiteStrelok #8 Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2358 battles

View PostLostSpider, on 17 July 2012 - 04:11 PM, said:

I have no problems with acta, I do pay for the music I have and I beleive in intelectual property.

You think ACTA is just about music and intelectual property? You also dont have problems with freedom of speech on internet?You think people that protested this year did that for music or movies?

Grand_Moff_Tano #9 Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 1764 battles
  • [BC28] BC28
If ACTA was made law in Europe then you can say goodbye to Internet Free Will, I for one would go against this, as I would with SOPA

XxXSpottedYouXxX #10 Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

General

• Player
  • 23824 battles
  • [4077] 4077

View PostWhiteStrelok, on 17 July 2012 - 04:25 PM, said:

You think ACTA is just about music and intelectual property? You also dont have problems with freedom of speech on internet?You think people that protested this year did that for music or movies?

Exactly freedom of speech and many other crucial things the internet holds would be at risk if they have their way.

LostSpider #11 Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 22686 battles

View PostDerRizerPin, on 17 July 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

Exactly freedom of speech and many others would be at risk if they have their way.

Please enlight me, how it will go against freedom of speech?  

and give me a technical argument as an answer

XxXSpottedYouXxX #12 Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

General

• Player
  • 23824 battles
  • [4077] 4077

View PostLostSpider, on 17 July 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

I do not intend to be formatted into some kind of political debate, However i am deeply concerned your a member or an employee of someone trying to take away our rights and our freedom to surf the internet freely.

Now i respect your comments as i do with every comment i see but in respect to my comments i politely ask you to at least calm yourself down a little.

Kind Regards.

Yag0 #13 Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 3168 battles

View PostLostSpider, on 17 July 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

The way I see it , and I base this on watching the UK govt. operate for a few decades , is :
"They" wish to use this as the thin edge of the wedge to "police" the internet .
Although this may sound innocuous , it is very sinister .
Just like innocent people being killed by the powers that be for "suspected of terrorism" , an abuse of the anti terrorism law .
Then the govt. would abuse this , yes try and stop illegal downloads (that is the selling point) , but then move on the digital spying and control .
It's not long ago UK tried to enforce a bit tax for example !
Like the "have to sign up to access over 18 sites" , this can be abused to label someone as a sex criminal .
UK already intercepts and stores all emails sent and received in uK

You really think this is a good idea ?

Edited by Yag0, 17 July 2012 - 04:56 PM.

LostSpider #14 Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 22686 battles

View PostDerRizerPin, on 17 July 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

I do not intend to be formatted into some kind of political debate, However i am deeply concerned your a member or an employee of someone trying to take away our rights and our freedom to surf the internet freely.

Now i respect your comments as i do with every comment i see but in respect to my comments i politely ask you to at least calm yourself down a little.

Kind Regards.

But I am calm and polite, what I'm asking from you is not an emotional answer but a technical one, I am exercing my freedom of speech.

if you claim that acta goes against freedom of speech on the internet then people on this forum have the right to ask you how it will do it, that is why I'm asking you how, by which legal device against which action it will go against freedom of speech?

Please illustrate by an example.

Grand_Moff_Tano #15 Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 1764 battles
  • [BC28] BC28

View PostLostSpider, on 17 July 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

But I am calm and polite, what I'm asking from you is not an emotional answer but a technical one, I am exercing my freedom of speech.

if you claim that acta goes against freedom of speech on the internet then people on this forum have the right to ask you how it will do it, that is why I'm asking you how, by which legal device against which action it will go against freedom of speech?

Please illustrate by an example.
ACTA is the Nazi Party of the Internet, you really want this?

LostSpider #16 Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 22686 battles

View PostYag0, on 17 July 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

The way I see it , and I base this on watching the UK govt. operate for a few decades , is :
"They" wish to use this as the thin edge of the wedge to "police" the internet .
Although this may sound innocuous , it is very sinister .
Just like innocent people being killed by the powers that be for "suspected of terrorism" , an abuse of the anti terrorism law .
Then the govt. would abuse this , yes try and stop illegal downloads (that is the selling point) , but then move on the digital spying and control .
It's not long ago UK tried to enforce a bit tax for example !
Like the "have to sign up to access over 18 sites" , this can be abused to label someone as a sex criminal .
UK already intercepts and stores all emails sent and received in uK

You really think this is a good idea ?

If this is part of ACTA then you are right, but is it?

Edited by LostSpider, 17 July 2012 - 05:02 PM.

LostSpider #17 Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 22686 battles

View PostDemons_Bain, on 17 July 2012 - 05:01 PM, said:

ACTA is the Nazi Party of the Internet, you really want this?

I'm glad to know that the Godwin's law is still alive. :Smile_Default:

Godwin's law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies or Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies) is an observation made by Mike Godwin in 1990 that has become an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1." In other words, Godwin observed that, given enough time, in any online discussion—regardless of topic or scope—someone inevitably makes a comparison to Hitler and the Nazis.

copied from wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia....odwin's_law

Grand_Moff_Tano #18 Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 1764 battles
  • [BC28] BC28

View PostLostSpider, on 17 July 2012 - 05:13 PM, said:

I'm glad to know that the Godwin's law is still alive. :Smile_Default:

copied from wikipedia page:

And you got that from Wikipedia, the most inaccurate information source around, also you'll find that i am correct, both SOPA and ACTA are the Nazi Partys of the Online World, and there are few who dare oppose directly such as Anonymous

LostSpider #19 Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 22686 battles

View PostDemons_Bain, on 17 July 2012 - 05:20 PM, said:

And you got that from Wikipedia, the most inaccurate information source around, also you'll find that i am correct, both SOPA and ACTA are the Nazi Partys of the Online World, and there are few who dare oppose directly such as Anonymous

Sorry but references need to be quoted and are you right to question the source.

Apologies, I will carry on quoting that source of inacurate information about Godwin's law.

Corollaries and usage
There are many corollaries to Godwin's law, some considered more canonical (by being adopted by Godwin himself)[ than others. For example, there is a tradition in many newsgroups and other Internet discussion forums that once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever debate was in progress; the coupling of this corollary with the initial statement of the law proves every threaded discussion to be finite in length. This principle is itself frequently referred to as Godwin's law. It is considered poor form to raise such a comparison arbitrarily with the motive of ending the thread. There is a widely recognized corollary that any such ulterior-motive invocation of Godwin's law will be unsuccessful.
Godwin's law applies especially to inappropriate, inordinate, or hyperbolic comparisons of other situations (or one's opponent) with Nazis. The law and its corollaries would not apply to discussions covering known mainstays of Nazi Germany such as genocide, eugenics or racial superiority, nor, more debatably, to a discussion of other totalitarian regimes or ideologies, since a Nazi comparison in those circumstances may be appropriate, in effect committing the fallacist's fallacy. Whether it applies to humorous use or references to oneself is open to interpretation, since this would not be a fallacious attack against a debate opponent.
While falling afoul of Godwin's law tends to cause the individual making the comparison to lose their argument or credibility, Godwin's law itself can be abused as a distraction, diversion or even as censorship, fallaciously miscasting an opponent's argument as hyperbole when the comparisons made by the argument are actually appropriate. Similar criticisms of the "law" (or "at least the distorted version which purports to prohibit all comparisons to German crimes") have been made by Glenn Greenwald.

All copied from:

Yag0 #20 Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:43 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 3168 battles

View PostLostSpider, on 17 July 2012 - 05:01 PM, said:

If this is part of ACTA then you are right, but is it?

From what I have seen / read it is the undertow of the act .

I think it is important to keep in mind that much of the worlds piracy is within China and its' non-existant copyright laws .
(Have a look at this link , the Chinese Govt are only just stopping using pirated MicroSoft products!!!)
http://www.chinadail...nt_15592041.htm
Now if ACTA was to become the global "force to be reckoned with" , do you think these countries will take China in hand and try to enforce their rules upon China ?
Naaaaa they won't , they will run scared and make up some excuse for not doing so (without mentioning things like global economy and atomic weapons!) .
If they already know that China is the big player in piracy , then why even start this act without intention to pursue China ?
Because they(UK,USA) really want to get their hands on control of the internet .

All IMHO , based on what I have seen/read (I am no expert , just opinionated!) (PM me for tinfoil hat ;) )

Edited by Yag0, 17 July 2012 - 05:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users