Some Handy Texturing Tips - Photoshop And Gimp Friendly!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

amade #21 Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:22 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Translator
  • 0 battles
Thanks for sharing!

All my tanks use masking (or rather, templates) for the paintjob.

Posted Image

You can see the base layer has areas cut out from it, and is then duplicated for other layer manipulations. Making a new skin is as easy as recolouring/redrawing patterns on the base layer. I didn't explain in detail other than that they should mask out parts they don't want painted, I leave the actual masking method they want to use to whatever's comfortable with them :) I only mentioned that they ought to lock the layer's transparency once they're done masking to make the job easier.

I used to do your way of separating the different colours, but I like to keep my layer manipulations simpler. Besides, I also like hand drawing my patterns. If I want a new skin I just reuse the template but draw a different pattern scheme.

Select the blue mask layer you created earlier and punch out the red and yellow layers where you don't want paint, see how quickly the masking was with the premade mask? If you revisit this tank to make another layer you've saved yourself the masking work. Now you have an ugly camo with parts punched out, like tracks, machine gun barrels, headlights and what not.

Instead of manually "knocking out" each colour layer you can put all the colour layers into one layer folder, select the layer folder then click on the create layer mask button (look at the image below, it's the button next to the fx button at the bottom of the layers panel - the one with the circle inside a rectangle). Go back to your blue layer and make the selection on the uncoloured parts, go back to the folder's layer mask and fill the selection with 100% black.

Posted Image

This way you only need to do it once, plus you can edit the layer mask without altering the colour layers within the group. However with my skins I start with only one base layer and have all my colours in it so I don't use the layer mask for this purpose and only duplicated the base colour layer if I want to add other layer blending modes.

Hide the yellow and red layers and make another copy of the base layer, then hide the base layer so that only the copy can be seen. Go to Select>Color Range again and select the darkest, blackest part of the layer. Inverse, then hit delete, and you should see the darkest parts on the layer with everything else gone. There will be hazy parts, this is okay. Move this layer to the top and unhide the yellow layer, and you should see a skin that makes a decent yellow tank. Unhide the red layer, and you have the camo showing.

I suggest using "Blend If" to get those darkest parts to show (plus it'll let you fine tune how much of it you want). The advice of using auto-contrasted base layer is good however I'd recommend using curves or levels instead to adjust the contrast to your liking. I avoid anything with the word "auto" in it =P

Webtroll #22 Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:34 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Oh yeah I'm going to pick over your tricks to pick out the stuff that works for me, and I do thank you for sharing! I have hand camo'd tanks but I like snaggins pictures from different places and playing with them until I get something I like. Practice practice practice! I do hate tracking down each piece as you described to locate parts of the jigsaw puzzle; I probably spend more time doing that than anything else. The Panzer Jager I probably took me the longest, after the Marder 2. 3 masks: base camo color & camo color 2 (outside), just base camo color (inside walls), and no color at all (inside gun parts, floorboard, chair). I probably should have hand colored it so I could fix the right fender color not lining up, but I like the way the pattern worked out. This was used with a polka dot I found online to make a dot layer, rotated it and made an identical color layer which I merged, then rotated it again and cut out instead of adding on. This creates a random pattern that I just can't seem to duplicate by hand.

http://img201.images.../6729/pzjgi.jpg

View Postamade, on 02 November 2010 - 04:22 AM, said:

The advice of using auto-contrasted base layer is good however I'd recommend using curves or levels instead to adjust the contrast to your liking. I avoid anything with the word "auto" in it =P

To be fair I only do it to create a quick color layer. After running Hue/Saturation and Brightness/Contrast a few times before dropping a texture layer over it means the final result looks little to nothing like the original layer. It usually takes me several tries before I'm happy with a color on a tank, and sometimes what looks good after staring at it for hours looks terrible with fresh the next day. I also have an odd fascination with yellow, but a lot of people rag on me about it.

Posted Image

I've also recently started modding the base layer to take care of off color spots like the side view ports on that Panzer. The wheels on the Panzer Jager I also took me a while to get to look normal. When it's gray it doesn't look bad, but throw some yellow on there and the bright spots look like beacons!

Webtroll #23 Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:08 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
As for using patterns in nature to make a pattern mask, here's a satellite photo of Mars I turned into a quick pattern. I used the lower left corner of the original image and had to teak the last one a little to balance it out. It still looks a little uneven but it wouldn't be noticed as a camo mask. I haven't used this one, I just whipped it up to create the image as an example.

Posted Image

leofwine #24 Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:43 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 1579 battles
Wonderful stuff! Both of you are providing more excellent information & tips for would-be skinners. Keep it up Gents :)

Webtroll #25 Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:58 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I'd considered doing my own thread for my skins and tips but other people do so much better work its humbling. That and the walkthrough I posted is for a quick and easy camo; the more complex the skin, the more work it takes to complete it. You know that, but I thought I'd state the obvious in case others don't.

amade #26 Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:09 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Translator
  • 0 battles
Nah, your method is very useful for people wanting to make their own camo patterns. My guide didn't say anything about making them, it only touched on how to improve them or how to get around common problems. So your guide was definitely worth posting.

Webtroll #27 Posted 06 November 2010 - 05:26 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I wanted to use the "pattern in nature" example I posted above so I could show an example of what it can be used for:

Posted Image

Clipper #28 Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 15354 battles
Very nice work!!!!

Spyme #29 Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:50 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 5038 battles
Someone allready created new normals with Nvidia melody or the Nvidia photoshop tools? While working on the spec and normal map, i got some scaling issues while exporting them. The final maps won´t fit the tank scale, so i wonder on how to export them?

EW_Bill70 #30 Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:23 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 3393 battles
  • [GITS-] GITS-

View PostFrehelias, on 30 October 2010 - 06:41 PM, said:

As for UV-mapping you could also use this panel finder I found here on the forums.
Credits go to the author. (his/her name is on the Panel Finder)
Link: http://www.mediafire...2o2r0ce51xaqem7

Thx for putting this up ,, I used this template back in my IL2 "skinning" days ,and can only say it  is alot easier to use than those grids..

The Original Author (btw) is/was "Adlabs" a brilliant skinner in IL2 ....

May I also say this post ( The main topic !!) is a well thought out process ,,ty for going to the effort ,once I'ce got the "DDS" plugin working in Gimp I'll come back too this post too read again  !!!    B)  :Smile_great:

moehrewinger #31 Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:20 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 8677 battles
Great Guide. Helped me a lot. Here is my first work. It shines a little too much and I can not locate a point (red circle), but I'm very happy with the result. Thanks to you Guys.

Spoiler                     

Unrefined #32 Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3663 battles
hi i know how to do nice weathered textures :)

T3043 #33 Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4698 battles
I can't open the DDs file in GIMP. why??? :unsure:

T3043 #34 Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4698 battles
I'm really annoyed now cuz I can't open my dds file in gimp... :huh: I was looking forward to doing this but I can't...let me know if anyone does know how to.

T3043 #35 Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4698 battles
umm where are the base dds files kept??? :unsure:

T3043 #36 Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:09 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4698 battles
It keeps saying that it is a unknown file type...why???
I really want to know it is doing this...

T3043 #37 Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4698 battles
I have photoshop now but I can't put the dds files in it...it says it not the right sort of file... :(

T3043 #38 Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4698 battles
No worrys got it working now...YAY! :Smile-izmena:

T3043 #39 Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4698 battles
thx for that I got this out of my IS...

Attached Files

• Attached File   shot_003.jpg   42.38K

T3043 #40 Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4698 battles
...and this out of my MS-1. :)
Lost the picture now...please delete this post and my IS one...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users