T-62A experiences

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
388 replies to this topic

Poll: Equipment (294 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

What equipment are you using on your T-62A?

1. Improved Ventilation (229 votes [26.72%])

Percentage of vote: 26.72%

2. Gun Rammer (256 votes [29.87%])

Percentage of vote: 29.87%

3. Vertical Stabilizer (237 votes [27.65%])

Percentage of vote: 27.65%

4. CO2 Tanks (11 votes [1.28%])

Percentage of vote: 1.28%

5. Coated Optics (56 votes [6.53%])

Percentage of vote: 6.53%

6. Enhanced Gun Laying Drive (41 votes [4.78%])

Percentage of vote: 4.78%

7. Other (27 votes [3.15%])

Percentage of vote: 3.15%

Vote Hide poll

Legault #1 Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:53 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 14706 battles
Figure it's time for a new thread, to discuss how the tank feels after actually having played a few battles in it.

After 35 matches I slowly feel like I'm starting to get to know this tank. It does it's job, kind of... the way the M48 or E50M do their job, though not quite as good. Like expected... it's a support tank. It doesn't break through flanks like the T-54, because you will die within seconds if you bother... any tier 9-10 can auto-aim and penetrate you. It can't get away with rushing anywhere, really, for a few reasons. These are just things I've noticed from playing it, whether they're accurate or not I don't know yet.

- The tracks feel extremely weak/vulnerable, and they repair slower than they did in the T-54. I've even been tracked in 1 shot by an AMX1390, which is somewhat ridiculous. Basically if anything hits your tracks at all they're probably going to break... so if you're in a bad spot, you're screwed. And you don't want to waste your repair kit, trust me.

- Low armor means a lot of module damage opportunities. This thing is one big fuel tank which a gun mounted onto it. In 35 battles I've been set on fire at least 7-8 times, even twice in one battle. It's bad enough to consider mounting CO2 on it. But that's not all... your ammo rack is as weak as any russian medium. It won't blow up instantly, but it gets damaged from any angle. I feel like it's still in the same spot as it was in the previous tanks, front right-ish, but it's more like the T-43 where it can get hit quite easily from the front. Circle anti-clockwise if you can, as always.

- It can circle a few tanks on flat ground. It's barely fast enough, but with the rate of fire you should be able to track them often enough to make it happen if the opportunity presents itself. If not, and you're forced to brawl, just drive up to them and hug them. The turret armor is the only thing that's going to save you even with high DPM. Hugging their side still works, especially for german tanks, but you can get away with actually going face to face as well. I took out an IS-8 in a 1v1 that way by just forcing it against a wall and firing shells into the upper hull while it bounced my turret. One thing that helps is turning your turret to the left, since it actually hides your commander's hatch really well. If you don't, he'll probably kick the bucket.

- Don't bother thinking your turret is godlike. I've had it penetrated by anything ranging from an M103 to Obj 268 at ranges of over 400m. It's reliable enough, but don't bet your life on it if it's not worth doing so. And like I said above, if anything hugs you the hatch/cupola is a weakspot. Try to hide it or make it hard to hit by moving.

- Avoid hills like the plague. The turret stats will suggest that going hull down will work great, but the gun depression is TERRIBLE and in any other case your hull will more than likely be penetrated. You can't shoot over any hill without revealing your hull.

- Don't be fooled by the T-54's strong points. You are NOT small and you do NOT have good camo. When you see this tank side to side with an E-100 or IS-7 you'll realize how big this tank is. Sixth sense is probably going to do wonders for this tank, because you want to be safe in the back or somewhere else where you can shoot freely.

Other than that, hitting a random tier 9 tank for 260 damage is still pathetic. The alpha damage really hurts, and you can't make use of the RoF often. When you can, god help whatever you're aiming at, because it's going to be in a lot of pain. I also don't bother zooming in at close ranges anymore, point and click works great thanks to accuracy on the move etc. That's probably the saving grace for this tank. Otherwise, the M48 really does beat it in most ways, as the T-62A doesn't have a size, camo, armor, mobility or alpha/dpm advantage.

As far down as it goes: http://i235.photobuc...t_/shot_059.jpg
Stats after 35 battles: http://i235.photobuc...t_/shot_061.jpg

rixto003 #2 Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:56 PM

Warrant Officer

• Clan Commander
  • 17876 battles
reading all these cons you wrote i kinda tought that they moved E-50 to USSR tree....

Legault #3 Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:06 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 14706 battles
I dunno, I never considered the E-50 that bad, since it's a great sniper/support, and it's got the ability to ram in brawls. It's role is quite clear... even if the tier 10 heavies can pretty much do the same (T110).

It's a drastic change from the T-54 though. They do completely different things... but both seem fun to play so far. I started by playing the T-62A like a T-54 and ended up dying a lot. Since then I've adjusted and my survival rate went from 17%ish to 37%. Yes, luck plays a role, but the difference is there.

mamlas #4 Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 14704 battles
  • [-322-] -322-
I must say i hate with all my heart. Its slow, cant climb, gets penned by arty HE everywhere and it is huge and cant hide. The gun has same non-existent gun depression and low alpha. It now has acc+rof. Tbh it feels like my old Panther. Fast firing, accurate gun with low dmg on huge slow paper chassis.

Its not worthy succesor  to T-54. 54 had just enough armour/speed/climbing/camo ability to be playable with that horrible gun. This lost it all, in trade for some dpm. Just dpm, it even kept its measly alpha and its crazy cost per shell. Bad trade if you ask me.

It has same lack of armor as Bat, but bat is fast and has 5-shot drum. Also, is there anything, 62A can do better than Patton? Except getting one shotted in ammo, that it excels at.

Well, ill give it 100 games, and then sell it, if it doesn't grow on me.

Typhon23 #5 Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:49 AM

Private

• Player
  • 16092 battles
  • [-BKC-] -BKC-
Nice analysis on t-62a. You kinda sumarised all my immpressions. I dont know, maybe i havent played enough games to know this tank fully, but i am kinda bugged down :(. Anyway, Legault, if you would like to platoon with me with this tank it would be great.

Best wishes

Bastor #6 Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:52 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 24073 battles
First of all as Legault said - this is not a T-54 do not play it as one. I learned that the hard way.

It is quite large and less mobile. You need to stay one "square" or one "move" behind where you used to play the T-54. It can turn quite rapidly which I find very strange. Why not give it the same movement speed as turning speed? Oh well.

Anyway if you get in a good position you can track most tanks to death. With the high RoF I've had situations where I shoot and track him and by the time they click their repair kit I have re-tracked them which must have been a pain.

The DPM is incredible but it isn't the "beta T-54" I was kind of hoping it to be (bouncing shells left and right moving with the speed of light and making the enemy team cry and piss blood).

The tank itself is a lot of fun to be honest. I was playing with my buddy in a JagPZ E-100 and we did a few very good games with me supporting him and guarding his sides. We even did an incredible game on that new docks map where we just wrecked em hard.

The gun accuracy and aiming time is great but I kind of wish the T-62A had kept either the mobility or shell reflect-ability of the T-54. Not both of course.

The most frustration I had was when I was trying to play this as a T-54. We are waaay easier for an arti to hit and they wreck us badly (I literally got 1 shotted 3 games in a row by arti....almost rage quitted but then I called them cowardly cunts and I felt better)

Ah also it is quite expensive to play it. The repair costs are about 25k for wrecked tank but the ammo costs is quite higher due to the high RoF...so don't miss.

In conclusion of my fragmented thoughts - a very fun tank but I need at least 200 battles to get used to its role which I am yet to find. It has a very high RoF and I barely need to aim at Tier 9s to know I'll pen them. If you get someone out in the open or trying to peek around a corner you can wreck their shit hard by constantly tracking them and they even take damage if you aim carefully.

PS I had 0 fires on my tank. Just lucky I guess.

PPS I forgot to mention that this tank along with some of the other new Tier Xs feels a lot better in a massive tier X fight than at the top of the food chain. These tanks seem to have been developed for max tier clan battles - in battles with a lot of tier Xs I could wreck shit up and not get so focused. If you don't get focused you will destroy enemies *snaps fingers* just like that.
But if you are one of 3-4 tier Xs artillery is sure to keep track of you and everyone is going to try (and succeed) in penetrating your 102 mm front.
I think this tank will shine in the maximum level battles where the IS-7s and IS-4 and Mauses will be on focus and not the poor paper meds.
Another reason is that you feel like shit when a 12t or Chaffe just shoots and pens you...sure it is like 100 dmg but it is 100 dmg you could have avoided in a T-54. But in Tier 10/9 battles it doesn't feel bad cus you know that guy has like 300 pen and you don't care as much.

Edited by Bastor, 02 August 2012 - 07:56 AM.

Anthoniusii #7 Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23972 battles
Legualt
The question is simple...
If you had ONLY 6 million credits and all meds unlocked would T-62 be your 1st choice?
For example many proceeded to M48 with a gun that added to that tank in 1980's!!!
Can you duel with that M48 and win?

it_is_i_leclerc #8 Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:27 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 25209 battles
my experiance is good tank not been tracked at all in one shot yet. Only prob i have is the fuel tank in the front. if something with a large caliber (122+) hits me there it is instant fire.

Anthoniusii #9 Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23972 battles
I wonder though...
Whe you select the T-62A icon in the tech tree and read the description "both"
T-62s are there.
So...if WG added a gun to M48 that has been added after 1975 (M68) then why didn't add the 115mm gun to T-62
that was added in early 60's.
Don't start tp say that they were two tanks ...becuase WG has BOTH in the same description text.
In fact MBT 70 programm started AFTER T-62 apeared and socked NATO officials!
Then why same tier tanks still have these huge differences?
WHY M48 gets an 70's gun addition when T-62 remains with a 50's one?
M48A5

So question still exists..
Why WG hates soviet meds so much to have them constantly underpowered in every tier ?

Edited by Anthoniusii, 02 August 2012 - 08:38 AM.

Exocet6951 #10 Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 40798 battles
  • [BALTO] BALTO
I actually loved it on the test server.
What makes the take for me, is the 10 RoF you have with a 100% crew, BIA and a rammer.
Coupled with 264mm pen, you can effectively pen any tierX frontally, and even get more than one shot in on heavies that don't have their turrets pointed at you.

By I think the above question "Why WG hates soviet meds so much to have them constantly underpowered in every tier ?" is funny, because let's make a list:
-T-28: With the removal of the 85mm gun, it keeps the same machine gun as the T-34.
-T-34 : great little machine. A real machine gun on tracks. Not as straight forward to use as a Sherman, but still very powerful, with deceptively good mobility.
-T-34-85 : It took a hit with the removal of the IDIOT gun, but now it's faster, more agile, and packs more penetration and alpha than the Easy 8. A good tank.
-T-43 : the IDIOT gun thing hurt that one more, so that one loses a lot of glamour, but it was a good little beast before. Very surprising in it's survivibility.
-KV-13: Easy 8 on steroids, with enough  speed, weight and armor to bounce and even ram some heavies. If you want to kill lights and mediums, you took a KV-13
-T44 : amazing tank, perfectly on par with the Pershing and Panther2 in terms of capability. How someone can say it's underpowered is beyond me.
-T54 : requires more work than the T-44, but in packs, it's the most dangerous opponent in WoT, now only in the shadows of the tierX batchat.

the_other_guy #11 Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16168 battles
Worst 6mil ever spend.

Edit: Me after buying this ******** tank.

Posted Image

Kongowerner #12 Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

Private

• Player
  • 16033 battles
  • [KMIKC] KMIKC

View PostLegault, on 01 August 2012 - 10:53 PM, said:

Yeah, +1 for the analysis! I agree on all your points.

Ive got some problems with my T62a, too. But where to start?!

Apart from the things that have allready been stated here, I would like to add the cost. You get higher rpm at a lesser cost per shell, still this tank is a "credit-whore". Iam an average player, but usually I manage to get a little gain moneywise. With this tank? I had to resort to my Type, in order to keep it running. Fells worse, than 54 in this aspect.

But the worst of all is the monumental shift in gameplay. The 62a plays like a panther (Which I sold). The whole point of soviet Meds (is) was flanking/rushing/wolfpacking. The only way to play this tank competitive is to be 2nd line support, that means that youre stationary a lot. I dont like camping Meds, but this tank seems to promote it. That is just sad, bear in mind, that the other Tier X Meds retain their nationspecific qualities. Brawling is complete out of question and in comparison to the 54, the 62a fells sluggish.

My last point: The Looks. I know WG modelled it pretty well and the real T62a looked that way, but its looks deranged and broken.

Now I wont give up on this tank so easy, but its hardly a great addition to my garage at this point. Still have to master it, still have to get used to this playstyle,

Legault #13 Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:54 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 14706 battles
@anthoniusii
I'd buy the T-62A just because it's what I'm (relatively) used to. But it'd be very tempting to just buy a batchat or M48 since they're probably more useful to the team and easier to play. And the T-62A doesn't get the new gun because wargaming decided to draw the line at smoothbore guns, which the 115mm is. Either way the gun doesn't matter, if they put the 115mm on and gave it the same stats you wouldn't really get anywhere, would you?

And this tank is still good when wolfpacking. It's different from T-54 wolfpacks, again, but this time you can actually keep moving. Or you can stop moving... in front of or next to an enemy tank. The T-54 was better off keeping some distance to let it's armor do the work or circling the enemy tank. The T-62A should either keep moving or just hug the enemy tank to death. It's a really odd thing to do for a russian medium, even though the T-54 could kinda do it, but now with the high DPM of the T-62A it actually pays off to just hug someone and murder them while you probably can get away with enough health. Not like the T-54 where you had to be cheap and avoid direct fights if possible, but simply challenging one tank to a fight to the death. The only problem is module damage... there's always the risk of burning down.

But ofcourse, sniping and cheap shots are still better & made easier thanks to penetration. Also what you should be doing in randoms most of the time. Stick to a tier 10 TD and make the enemy's life miserable. Permatracking another tier 10 and watching your fellow TD blast them is great.

As for running costs, I've lost money in bad games and made money in good ones... but overall this makes a profit if you have premium. I'm sure this profit can increase by getting better at playing it. Losing money without premium is understandable, it's the end of the line, all tier 10s tend to lose money. At least the ammo cost went down instead of up.

Lord_WC #14 Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18655 battles
what's the ammo cost on it?

Legault #15 Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 14706 battles
1100 per AP shell, 1170 for HE, 10 for gold. There's a screenshot in the thread about T-62A costs.

Kbok #16 Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

Private

• Player
  • 10006 battles

View PostLegault, on 01 August 2012 - 10:53 PM, said:

In 35 battles I've been set on fire at least 7-8 times, even twice in one battle. It's bad enough to consider mounting CO2 on it.

I played yesterday just 16 games and burned just 1 time; did you cosider to reskill your driver-skill and take the perk "Preventative Maintenance"?

Dont know if it´s the perk or just luck; as said I burned yesterday only 1 time.

CuddlyPanda #17 Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21298 battles
Must say with the 10% chance of fire on the engine, I would not get the maintenance perk. On the test in around 100 battles was set of fire 2, max 3 times. Maybe its just bad luck? Cannot wait to get this tank, just 24k exp to go :biggrin:

*edit:Kbok already stated bad luck, sry for the repost :happy:

Edited by CroCitizen2407, 02 August 2012 - 01:06 PM.

Legault #18 Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 14706 battles

View PostKbok, on 02 August 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

I played yesterday just 16 games and burned just 1 time; did you cosider to reskill your driver-skill and take the perk "Preventative Maintenance"?

Dont know if it´s the perk or just luck; as said I burned yesterday only 1 time.
My engine has been hit maybe once... and as far as I know that perk only works for the engine. The fuel tanks though... they burn very easily.

Bastor #19 Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:46 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 24073 battles
Just looked up my stats 28 games last night and 16 wins.

Never caught fire which was really nice. Got tracked quite a few times tho....

This tank still has the most incredible gun ever. It feels very much like a T-34 on steroids. Fast reload, nice pen, low alpha.
I'm gonna try to play it as a T-34 when I get home and see what happens tonight. :]

Lord_WC #20 Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18655 battles

View PostLegault, on 02 August 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

1100 per AP shell, 1170 for HE, 10 for gold. There's a screenshot in the thread about T-62A costs.

Thank you I found it.

Funny thing. Now t-54 is t9, MM is about the same, so gets 10% better earning per shot than t62a. So the shells are about 1210cr this factored in. So WG made the shells cheaper by 20 cr. How generous. I will surely keep this in mind next time I want to buy gold.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users