Chaffee battle balance

M24 chaffee balance

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

GTGT #1 Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

Private

• Player
  • 7061 battles
Why oh why does WOT server keep putting my chaffee up against 14 other tanks that are tier 7-10. Its little brother, the tier 4, M5 stuart was great fun and attracted a good balance when drawn up in battle: Sometimes I was bottom of the list, but only up against tanks 2-3 tiers above me, but the tier 5, M24 chaffee faces tier 7+ enemies in almost every single match. its common for the lowest oponent to be a tier 7 scout!

The result is a moderately fast tank that can spot, but can't shoot anything. The spotting doesn't attract enough XP or credits, so you are forced to try to take on tier 8-10 oponents and just die everytime!

Its should be a great tank, but the battle balance it gets from WOT ruins it.

I've gone back down to the M5 and its great fun again! Wish I hadn't bothered spending the 524k to buy the m24!

Any thoughts or feedback from the developers?

mofakid #2 Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19815 battles
chaffee is a n end of the line scout, so its supposed to be in these battles. it requires a different approach than the other t5 scouts but is absolutely capable of contributing in hightier battles.
if you dont like it dont do it. so you said, you rebought your m5. seems it fits your playstyle and expectations of the game better.

Cuddly_Spider #3 Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

Major

• Player
  • 28313 battles
The chaffee is the ultimate scout, vastly overpowered but quite simply very few people realize it.

You use that speed to get into position before the enemy does, and you hide in a bush. Hold your trigger finger and your nerve, spot for your team, let them thin the enemy out without the enemy ever knowing you are even there. Persist with this tank, and trust me you'll come to love it.

Wildman_fr #4 Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17339 battles
yep, I felt the same at start, but now that it is fully upgraded and has a 100% crew, it is playable . hard to balance the repair bill, but you can have great battles against tier 7-8. Higher .. you have to hope that your team shot at what you see to get points . Still, in a city map, you can still get a JGtiger .... slowly but surely if it is alone.

The only real sad thing is that MM doesn't take account of the level of upgrade of your vehicle .. (personally, I'd like to re-equip it with small turret and gun, to get a more WWII feeling ... but don't because of tier 9-10 battles where you need a reserve of Hp)

ps: we can all post in chaffee thread though :)

azakow #5 Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 84925 battles
Developers will not answer. In forum you only get answers from the community.

I understand your frustration.

Scouting:
You detect about 3 per battle in average, which is good.
You are even better with the M5 Stuart.
I conclude you know the maps and terrain.

I assume you suffer the "fire at will" syndrom as soon as there is an opponent, hence your survival rate is very low.
Try to play not shooting at all, just sit in bushes and spot the opponets.
Use forward bushes to make sure you are the only one to spot the opponents.
Repeat a few battles and see whether the results are satisfing.
This will also help your resutls on M5 Stuart, since there are even more avaiable bushes.

Doing so, you will notice that your team will inflict a lot of damage on the opponents, and you do noting at all but sit.
Do not be misslead by this, your team is most thankful to have targets to shoot at. A "Thank you" by your team is very rare.
Your reward of this is, 50% of the XP the dmg dealers receive and a kill count of zero.

Fighting:
In some cases your team does not manage to stop all opponents. Now it is your part to deal damage.
Perpare, be patient, wait until the last minute to fight the opponents and use the suppirise effect. At 100% camo training this can be at 50m.
A solitary HT7/8 has absolutly no chance once you start your circle of death on him.
Stay away from fast travers, high RoF MT.

Do always make sure you act acording to your LT role (spotting) during a battle.
Do not be misslead by "M24 spot for arty!", send by some inexperienced commanders!
You are a team player and you deliver targets for all types of your team MT/HT/TD/SPG, they just have to go into fire position. The opponent SPG is not your main objective.

A must read for all LT commanders is this: http://forum.worldof...ith-maps-v7501/ .
It includes alot of information on general LT tactics, terrain usage, communication, ..., which should be used by M24 Chaffee commanders as well.

A few questions:
What is your crew training path?
What equipemt do you use?
Can you provide your best M24 Chaffee replay?

:Smile_honoring:

johncl #6 Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 54405 battles
It's a scout all scouts get the role of .......wait for it ,,,,,,,,SCOUT, ,,Its much more fun being bottom of a tier 10 game than top of a tier 5 game , I really dont want my M24 running around shotting stug3's and  ragging the life out of M4s or killing tier4 arty,,,

Give me a ...ferdi ...for breakfast ,,,,,A T34 ..for lunch .....and a Big Fat ....OBJECT 212 for dinner,,, and may be .....A juicy T95 for pudding...
Then i may run around the map to see what i can ...SPOT ....and to burn off all those fat meals....

johncl #7 Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:42 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 54405 battles
AZA very well said,,,

GTGT #8 Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:29 AM

Private

• Player
  • 7061 battles
Sounds like good advice on paper, but I find that when I take the M24 out and sit still in a bush to spot, I'm destroyed in seconds.

Heres a question: If I'm sitting in a bush with my camo net active, how close can enemies get before they see me? I suspect the answer should be 'within maybe 100m', but I don't find that in practice - sitting still gets me killed. Game balance and gameplay in WOT has taught me that sitting still is the worst thing to do in a scout! Scouts have to keep moving and the M24 is not strong enough or fast enough to keep moving when up against tier 8-10 enemies - 56kph is not fast enough to make it a 'hard shot'.

The M5 draws battles against enemies that are 2-3 tiers higher at most. Never 5 tiers higher - the balance just seems wrong to me on the M24. There are tier 6 and 7 french scouts that should be placed in those battles, not a tier 5 tank. The chaffee should get battles up to tier 8 max. It might be end of line, but so what? That just means there is nothing to research, doesn't give WOT an excuse to throw it into unreasonable battles!

I have used the M24 a lot and I do like it. I have 100% crew, 96% on skill camo for all crew. I have ventilation, coated optics and camo net, but I still get shot by enemies before I even see them sometimes - it seems that the high tier tanks must have much higher view range than my 440m (with optics). When I'm in a lower tier battle, where the balance is better, I can scout around and out-maneouvre the enemy and can survive the odd shot. The majority of battles are against tier 8-10 and 'the odd shot' is a 1-shot-kill and a 9k repair bill with no credits to show for it!

GTGT #9 Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

Private

• Player
  • 7061 battles
I have camo net, ventilation, and coated optics, but:

coated optics or binoculars on M24?

Arallaw #10 Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 28662 battles

View PostGTGT, on 09 August 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

I have camo net, ventilation, and coated optics, but:

coated optics or binoculars on M24?

Depends of your style. Binocs are better if you spot mainly stationary. Coated optics are way much better for all around spotting. And because of Chaffee is a ultimate multipurpose tank I prefer to use coated optics.

cManiek #11 Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 26828 battles
I was using binocs but I think optics are better connected with view range crew skills (commander + radioman).
Currently I am with Vents + Vstab + Optics.
Crew: Camo + BiA and some other stuff

As others said, sometimes it's better to just sit in bush and not shoot.
Malinowka is perfect example (standard battle + encounter). If you will reach good spot, you can win battle without firing even 1 round.
The gun is superb, you just have to wait for a perfect moment - it's really easy to kill full hp heavy tanks if they are alone (always detrack).

It's also good for finishing wounded tanks, killing X tiers is possible too.

Slacko #12 Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 54037 battles

View PostGTGT, on 09 August 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

. There are tier 6 and 7 french scouts that should be placed in those battles, not a tier 5 tank. The chaffee should get battles up to tier 8 max. It might be end of line, but so what? That just means there is nothing to research, doesn't give WOT an excuse to throw it into unreasonable battles!

By this I assume you mean the AMX series of tanks?  Light tanks they may be but scouts they are not. Nothing winds me up more when I roll in my 75 or 90 than somebody shouting AMX "noob" go scout.
The way they bleed speed the moment you try and turn them makes them ineffective as a frontline scout they are great for flanking already engaged tanks and exploiting gaps in defence to pick of enemy artys but the role of a scout should be to provide the eyes for the team and they don't really work for this.

Sdarillo #13 Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:18 AM

Private

• Player
  • 13291 battles

View PostGTGT, on 08 August 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

Why oh why does WOT server keep putting my chaffee up against 14 other tanks that are tier 7-10. Its little brother, the tier 4, M5 stuart was great fun and attracted a good balance when drawn up in battle: Sometimes I was bottom of the list, but only up against tanks 2-3 tiers above me, but the tier 5, M24 chaffee faces tier 7+ enemies in almost every single match. its common for the lowest oponent to be a tier 7 scout!

This:Posted Image

Tier 10 everywhere.... all day long...

Axel_Foley #14 Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:53 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 17770 battles
  • [ONKLZ] ONKLZ
Tier 10 battles for Chaffee, yes wellcome! Time to collect medals and XP!

http://www7.pic-uplo...shjbvfyhoji.png

azakow #15 Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 84925 battles

View PostSdarillo, on 24 August 2012 - 02:18 AM, said:

Tier 10 everywhere.... all day long...
A solitary opponent, such as a damaged IS-8, a full HP JT are perfect targets for your vehicle.
Himmelsdorf does not offer much space to circle, snipers are everywhere and it is difficult to be a supprise, hence a demanding map and a demanding MM for any M24 Chaffee commander.

Looking at your battle records, I can very well understand your frustration.
You lack the experience to fight high tier opponents using high tier vehicles.
Your battle record is restricted to US/FR LT only.

I recommend to gain more battle experience and see how your gameplay develops.
Use every chance to see how other players use this tank. Watch replays at http://mwreplays.com/ to see what others do and how the do it. You will be able to set filters for maps, vehicles, XP and so on.
Have a look at the "Battle Mechanics" and "Tactics" section in the WoT wiki.

TankAce505 #16 Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:43 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 11680 battles
this week i also got the chaffee, and i agree way to mutch tier 10 battles.
same goes for every tier 5 scout. but the chaffee is a little fighter and can be quite annoying for those high tiered players.

just spot and kill the damaged hightiers from behind.

LLIYXEPOK #17 Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 16992 battles
xd

theMuhaha #18 Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 7463 battles

View PostGTGT, on 08 August 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

The result is a moderately fast tank that can spot, but can't shoot anything. The spotting doesn't attract enough XP or credits, so you are forced to try to take on tier 8-10 oponents and just die everytime!

Its should be a great tank, but the battle balance it gets from WOT ruins it.

I've gone back down to the M5 and its great fun again! Wish I hadn't bothered spending the 524k to buy the m24!

Any thoughts or feedback from the developers?

Heres feedback from the playerbase: L2P! (i hate to say that but sometimes its just true)

The Chaffee would be hilariously overpowered in battles below tier7 and by the way, that it only gets t7 plus battles is no secret. Everyone who reads the forums knows that. You should always read the forums before getting a new tank.

I got 60% winratio on my chaffee (which is better than my 50-2) It is a goddamn monster! I do not know why you open this big bottle of whine here.

Edited by theMuhaha, 24 August 2012 - 03:02 PM.

3Form #19 Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 18365 battles
The lowest tier battle you'll get in a Chaffee is with Tier 7 tanks on top.

Recently, I find myself in more and more of these battles, maybe tier 8 tops. Not complaining, because the M24 is a monster in these matches, but I actually would like more tier 10 battles so I can do some scouting/spotting which is great fun. Nothing like lighting up half the enemy team and watching your team obliterate them.

theMuhaha #20 Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 7463 battles
deleted

Edited by theMuhaha, 24 August 2012 - 03:02 PM.

Also tagged with M24, chaffee, balance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users