M24 chaffee balance

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

Private_Miros #21 Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26184 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87
Just played two games in my Chaffee. It had been a while. And my biggest problem with the tank is that people just keep on stealing my last kill.

2 times 5 kills. And each time I'm circling my last target, only to get some muppet with 0 kills shooting him when he's down to 20HP or so.

In short, it's an OP little bastard. Underrated by its own team, and underestimated by the enemy.

sakalito #22 Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 73976 battles
  • [CSA] CSA
i ve got same problem, so much battles where half of tanks is atleast IX tier.
Problem is, you cant get enough money for repairs, even if u get 2 tanks for example and loose.
I focus on killing enemy scouts, since they are lowest tier in theese battles, but then i simply get oneshoted or twoshoted.
Funny is even if i get 2 tanks, spot 3-4 other tanks, die and we win, i still get money only close to repairs.

Annihilism #23 Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 11412 battles
  • [XCOM] XCOM
Personally i feel this tank should have the MM lowered by 1 battletier. This way you still meet tier 10 tanks but not as many. This tank performs very well even in matches with 1 or 2 tier 10 tanks, but when you are pitted against 5 tier 10's 3 tier 9's and the rest tier 8 (including GW Typ E's etc.) the use of this tank becomes very limited. A T50-2 can still scout (wich it does best) but for this tank it means you can only passively scout in a buch (wich is something this tank shouldn't be doing).

Now before someone starts flaming me remember, I said only 1 battle tier lower. So that means that it will still meet tier X tanks but only 1 or 2 instead of 4/5.

Private_Miros #24 Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26184 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87

View PostAnnihilism, on 25 August 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

Personally i feel this tank should have the MM lowered by 1 battletier. This way you still meet tier 10 tanks but not as many. This tank performs very well even in matches with 1 or 2 tier 10 tanks, but when you are pitted against 5 tier 10's 3 tier 9's and the rest tier 8 (including GW Typ E's etc.) the use of this tank becomes very limited. A T50-2 can still scout (wich it does best) but for this tank it means you can only passively scout in a buch (wich is something this tank shouldn't be doing).

In the initial stages of the battle it is less useless. And therefore more team reliant.

Once half of the enemy force has been killed, the Chaffee can shine again. It has got the space to roam free now and flank.

CrazyWelshy #25 Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 12907 battles
  • [M_G_C] M_G_C
Chaffee has been facing tougher times, and I relish the challenge.  It gives you the feeling of terror and adrenaline since you cannot be caught in the open, ever.  You can probably take one hit from a tier IX-X unless its a HE shell or an SPG shell.

I'm getting killed quicker, but when my games are good they go very good and I make sure to attack in a wolfpack with heavy tanks if there is an isolated IS-8 or IS-4 and I pick away at his turret (at sides or rear) and engine to truly destroy his capabilities and open him up for the artillery.

As a Chaffee, if you flank a heavy tank, hit his rear or sides of the turret, your number one target is the loader, preferably gunner to cripple his effectivenes.  After that, take out his ammo rack, I'm not having much luck in torching enemy tanks and most top tiers invest in fire extinguishers or anti-fire perks, so I find it better to destroy his tactical capabilities by nailing the crew.  Then, speed away or keep plugging holes into them.

Here is a replay to demonstrate that on Airfield, I just did it.

Victory!
Battle: Airfield 25 August 2012 14:00:07
Vehicle: M24 Chaffee
Experience received: 2,848 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 16,911
https://www.box.com/...4bd9bd007167535

Here is my Chaffee build:

Spoiler                     

Edited by CrazyWelshy, 25 August 2012 - 02:36 PM.

Perscienter #26 Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:24 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7427 battles
The highest-tier inflation, bad map design, introduction of tier 10 mediums and the broken spotting system hurt this tank a lot.

First of all, you can't spot so well in tier 10 games. Everyone has around 400 m view range. What's the point of a scout then? Then I noticed several times, that heavy tanks shot in my vicinity without being spotted. The problem got worse and unexplainable disappearances also happened. I won't post video clips about this again, but a clear line-of-sight sometimes has no effect. It's unpredictable.

The camo crew is almost un-noticeable in high tier matches. One shot fired always means you are spotted, when someone is below 400 m range.

In tier 10 games you are completely oblivious to the amount of afk players per team. If you fight 1vs2 or 1vs3 battles, say good bye. You have no chance to have a high impact on the game like in mid tier games, because you are doing puny amounts of damage, it at all. If your team is bad (like in 30% of the cases where it ends below 10>15), you won't turn it around.

Then there is the horribly childish map design, which worsened a lot. Every bush needs to be lowered or put in a completely vulnerable place or doesn't grant you to fire at someone because it would require an unrealistically high gun elevation. If the M24 (larger and less agile as the T-50-2) now mainly fights tier X, why not allow it safely spot and snipe at least? I don't even know why WG tries to balance maps like that in the first place, because the inventors of the assault mode on gems like Malinovka don't know anything about balance, in my opinion.

Summary: It lost some of its edge. No more 62% win ratio. WG might also decide to nerf at any point in time. I know, that they don't forget a strong tank and might just crash it, like the Marder.

If you want to feel like you are in control of some part of the battlefield, better grind for tier X. The M24 is not bad, bad you'll usually be on the run.

azakow #27 Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 84897 battles

View PostPerscienter, on 08 September 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

Then I noticed several times, that heavy tanks shot in my vicinity without being spotted.One shot fired always means you are spotted, when someone is below 400 m range.
I assume you are talking about high tier battles. If so then shooting is cause of all the bad things that happen thereafter.

Have you heard of the double "bush feature" the spotting system offers?
I'm asking because this is what the tanks in your vicinity use, in order not get detected when shooting.

I agree that AFK are a pestilence in matches.

But hey who am I talking to, very nice stats of yours. My moto is: don't whine but fight!

:Smile_honoring:

Platypusbill #28 Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 25545 battles
  • [WOOF] WOOF
Got my highest XP match ever in my Chaffee, 3052 with premium (~2034 without premium). Basically I just drove into one of the bushes near our side of the hill base (west) in Malinovka, spotted a bunch of their fast tanks charging up the hill. While the battle progressed, I moved up to one of the bushes by the small ridgeline on the edge of the eastern forest. Proceeded to keep their entire main push spotted for arty while gunning down Tigers and KVs under my invisibility cloak. Then I just moved south and ganked their campers and arty.

Seriously, the Chaffee can contribute greatly in every match except city brawls with high tiers.

Edited by Platypusbill, 09 September 2012 - 11:03 AM.

ollonborre #29 Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 17004 battles
But city maps can be hilariously fun in the Chaffee. To many times have TDs and slow heavies underestimated my damage output when I flanked them and started messing up their rear.

Seronimos #30 Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:02 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17810 battles
had to much fun games in city with the chaffee had 2 games were i nearly won a 1 vs 5 game wich gave me nice adrenalin rush wich i only know when i play eve online ;)

Armo #31 Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 9599 battles

View PostPlatypusbill, on 09 September 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

Got my highest XP match ever in my Chaffee, 3052 with premium (~2034 without premium). Basically I just drove into one of the bushes near our side of the hill base (west) in Malinovka, spotted a bunch of their fast tanks charging up the hill. While the battle progressed, I moved up to one of the bushes by the small ridgeline on the edge of the eastern forest. Proceeded to keep their entire main push spotted for arty while gunning down Tigers and KVs under my invisibility cloak. Then I just moved south and ganked their campers and arty.

Seriously, the Chaffee can contribute greatly in every match except city brawls with high tiers.

got replay? I'd like to see the 2nd position you moved up to :)

Perscienter #32 Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7427 battles

View Postazakow, on 09 September 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

I assume you are talking about high tier battles. If so then shooting is cause of all the bad things that happen thereafter.

Have you heard of the double "bush feature" the spotting system offers?
I'm asking because this is what the tanks in your vicinity use, in order not get detected when shooting.

I agree that AFK are a pestilence in matches.

But hey who am I talking to, very nice stats of yours. My moto is: don't whine but fight!

People always assume no one knows the spotting mechanics. I'm not sure about them either. When you fire, camo is only dropped in a 15m radius, except the bush with the highest value (in line of a hostile tank perhaps?).

It's hard to guess the distance between a bush and a tank. I don't even know, if it's measured from the centre and if a bush is less than 15m away, once the first signs of transparency show up or when you the bush is shown as fully transparent.

Well, and there are those situations, when the model does not explain visiblity or invisibility. There are bugs in the spotting system.

Consilium #33 Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17823 battles
  • [DKAII] DKAII
Just one advice for the OP : L2P

Slyspy #34 Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:38 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14813 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostConsilium, on 10 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

Just one advice for the OP : L2P

Thing is, that isn't actually advice. But every trainee scout, including myself, thanks you for your input.

Consilium #35 Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:20 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17823 battles
  • [DKAII] DKAII

View PostSlyspy, on 11 September 2012 - 01:38 AM, said:

Thing is, that isn't actually advice. But every trainee scout, including myself, thanks you for your input.

What else can be said in reply to whine topic like this?

If a lot of other poeple do well in a tank I suck in: do I whine on the forums bout balance, quit driving it ot L2P?

azakow #36 Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 84897 battles

View PostConsilium, on 11 September 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

What else can be said in reply to whine topic like this?
You may be used to such whining in the "gameplay discussion" forum.

In the vehicle sections of the forum, I tent to have closer at the writing, the questions and the account stats of such community member.
IMO,  "L2P" is none constructive and bumping topics, which you may not know at 200+ posts as community member.

Consilium #37 Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:18 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17823 battles
  • [DKAII] DKAII

View PostAnnihilism, on 25 August 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

A T50-2 can still scout (wich it does best) but for this tank it means you can only passively scout in a buch (wich is something this tank shouldn't be doing).

say what?! :facepalmic:   Chaffee shouldnt be passive scouting... Tell it to all the tankers I ve spotted on Campinovka, who were pleasent enough to say something like 'fu chaffee'.  Sorry mate, thats the dumbest thing I ve seen on the forum lately. Chaffee is the king of passive scouting. Anything with good viewrange and not huge silhuette is fine for passive scouting btw.

And to ur proposal bout lowering battle tier for V scouts. Meh. I actually make a lot more credits and xp in high tier battles and prefer those.

Consilium #38 Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17823 battles
  • [DKAII] DKAII

View Postazakow, on 11 September 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

You may be used to such whining in the "gameplay discussion" forum.

In the vehicle sections of the forum, I tent to have closer at the writing, the questions and the account stats of such community member.
IMO,  "L2P" is none constructive and bumping topics, which you may not know at 200+ posts as community member.

I would answer more extensively if the op asked for advice. He isnt asking for it. Hes whining that the tank that I love and adore is bad because of MM. Which is bullshit. And besides u gave and extensive answer before.

Belieber_PL #39 Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

Private

• Player
  • 521 battles
  • [WICKD] WICKD
As long as the map isn't himmelsdorf or some other tight map with little room to move, I prefer to face a lot of high tier vehicles, as they give me more xp, and it's more fun to fight against the odds.

IoI_ #40 Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles
with the new physics caffe will actualy reach 70, so actualy will be beter

Also tagged with M24, chaffee, balance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users