Light Tanks - Not following the "rules" of gameplay ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

lewisunderwood #1 Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10002 battles
Hi,

Just wonder. When i drive light tanks. Sometimes i do not following the "immginary rules" some players seem to have.

Means: I do some scouting with the light tanks, but often switch quiet fast to "hide and shoot from side / rear" and then towards the mid/end of the round, going for arty or trying to take out some meds/heavies from side and behind. I can usually take out 1-2 tanks after half the other team is dead or badly wounded. Taking two guns out of the game is not bad for Tier V vs Tier 8-10 i guess.

Or when i'm Tier V and dropped in to a high Tier battle, where the other mates are Tier 8+ and  50% of the Tanks can one/two shot me, i try once in a while to reach remote spot, hide there and and then go for arty after a few minutes, sometims combined with spotting in bushes. (Even got me once a "Raider" Batch).

Or i do some forward scouting hide in a bush, and do not shot (at all) while enemy tanks are in sight and then wait until they passed my position. (Of course i will then not do lot's of damage, but i guess thats not the Light tanks job anyway)

But it looks like some players expect me to do "suicide rush" all the time. So some of them starting to complain about "unfair", "stupid", "camping" and all that crap.

Is it really the case ? Do i always need to "scout asap the whole map" (and often die within 2-3 minutes)  to help the team the most ?
Or is also a good thing to take out 1-2 medium /heavy tanks with a light tank after half the round is over? (of course, combination of both things would be the best, but does not always work)

Just to get this right. I also try to concider my team's tanks when deciding what to do with my Tier V light tank (M24 and VK2801).
  • So if there are Pattons, AMX 13 90 or other Tanks with hight view range around in the team, they might also do some scouting pretty good.
  • If there is only one (relatively low tier) arty in the round, scouting is less important.
  • If there are 3-5 Artys in the round. Scouting is very important and i do the scouting stuff.
... and so on. Just common sense.

What do you guys expect from a Tier V Tank in a High Tier Game ?

Cheers, Lewis

DeDo_Vi #2 Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:59 PM

Sergeant

• 15212 battles
  • [CC1] CC1
Thats normal play.

hazzin #3 Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:02 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15859 battles
Imo there is nothing more valuable than T5 scout still alive in closing minutes of the match.

rockmonkey #4 Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:02 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 19484 battles
Depends on the tier 5 light tank...

AMX ELC is either a TD or interceptor (anti scout) or a fas moving hard to hit spotter. (good passive scout too)
T-50-2 pure annoyance fast moving hard to hit distraction tank come spotter (should be out there acting like players think scouts are)
Vk2801H pure anti scout and arty attacker come HE harraser of bigger tanks.
Chaffee pure hard hitting flank tank, anti scout and sniper.

not all light tanks are the same, some light tanks are not 'scouts' as people deem them to be because they simply fail to have the right qualities to do it right and well.

Edit you have to remember most players in solo random matches just wnat to shoot and not be shot at so sending out the 'gimp' does the job for them and when it dies they will start on the next fast tank...

'go scout...' :Smile_sceptic:

Edited by rockmonkey, 10 August 2012 - 12:04 AM.

lewisunderwood #5 Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:13 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10002 battles

View PostDeDo_Vi, on 09 August 2012 - 11:59 PM, said:

Thats normal play.

Ok. I see. Means ... just ignore the flamers/haters and keep on playing as done in the past.

Was worried because these times i met some quiet annoying people on the servers. But i guess this has also to do with the actual holiday season and all the kids are not in school at the moment. But this will cahnge soon i guess ...

DeDo_Vi #6 Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:16 AM

Sergeant

• 15212 battles
  • [CC1] CC1

View Postlewisunderwood, on 10 August 2012 - 12:13 AM, said:

Ok. I see. Means ... just ignore the flamers/haters and keep on playing as done in the past.

Was worried because these times i met some quiet annoying people on the servers. But i guess this has also to do with the actual holiday season and all the kids are not in school at the moment. But this will cahnge soon i guess ...

OK, maybe not normal play, thats how you SHOULD play.
Most players just rush and die even before their own arty has loaded a shell.

What you should do is to survive long enough to get a good look on where the enemy is going early game, but not deep within enemy territory (what i call "Arty dive")  and in in mid and late game prove enough nuisance to enemy tanks that they get mad at you and focus on you instead of the people that shoot them for reals.

Edited by DeDo_Vi, 10 August 2012 - 12:17 AM.

Sgt_Bones #7 Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:17 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 2849 battles
  • [-FC-] -FC-
You are doing it right. Don't let others dictate how you play when you are definitely playing correctly. Now, if you were hiding behind arty, then you should be abused, but not the way you just described what you do. So keep it up!

Jupeli #8 Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:28 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 8473 battles
  • [EXCA] EXCA
Sounds to me like you're playing your lights pretty much as they should be played. However, you could start by driving quickly to the middle area of the map and try to find out what the enemies are going to do but at that stage you should try hard not to get killed. At the first minutes, staying alive is more important than spotting enemies but these two are not mutually exclusive. I've seen this tactic being called half court scouting.

But anyway, you're doing it right. I hate it too when some moron who has absolutely no clue of scouting comes to tell me what to do in my Leo or VK28.

By the way, there's a nice guide about the VK28: http://forum.worldof...ith-maps-v7501/

boa_boa #9 Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:11 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 18544 battles
Lewi,  you really should not pay too much attention to what some people in game say..
Yesterday we had situation where jagdpanzer said to our m5 :
"Go scout m5, you have 5 sec"... After 5 sec he just killed him.
There will always be people like that  and you can do nothing about it.
Having chaffee myself, I know how much it costs to repair it..
And you would be crazy not to fire that great gun, only because you are light tank.
That money cost should teach us all something, it is there for a reason.
Check TheRiisingSun channel on youtube if you haven't already.
Be yourself, play how you like and don't be one of those scouts who dies in first 2 min just chasing some medal.

conductiv #10 Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:18 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 34565 battles
  • [FIFO] FIFO

View Postlewisunderwood, on 10 August 2012 - 12:13 AM, said:

always ignore flamers haters, you can read the advice some players may give or listen to their plans, but you arn't bound to those either. play the way you think is most effective.

PS. your profile name reminds me of a old PC game called "shadow company" where lewis underwood was the first mercenairies under your direct control. great game, havn't seen many games like it.

Fawlty_Turrets #11 Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:25 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21545 battles

View Postrockmonkey, on 10 August 2012 - 12:02 AM, said:

Depends on the tier 5 light tank...

AMX ELC is either a TD or interceptor (anti scout) or a fas moving hard to hit spotter. (good passive scout too)
T-50-2 pure annoyance fast moving hard to hit distraction tank come spotter (should be out there acting like players think scouts are)
Vk2801H pure anti scout and arty attacker come HE harraser of bigger tanks.
Chaffee pure hard hitting flank tank, anti scout and sniper.

not all light tanks are the same, some light tanks are not 'scouts' as people deem them to be because they simply fail to have the right qualities to do it right and well.

Edit you have to remember most players in solo random matches just wnat to shoot and not be shot at so sending out the 'gimp' does the job for them and when it dies they will start on the next fast tank...

'go scout...' :Smile_sceptic:
This.
It seems to me all the big guys want you to do is go out and sacrifice yourself so they can farm kills. If in the atch, you are not 100% needed to do it, then don't. Al three tier 5's are evil little buggers who can ruin an already damaged tank's day.
Same goes for the amx series of lights, using them as a pure scout is a painful waste.

TinCanMan #12 Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:38 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5377 battles
You can scout/spot for our side anytime. :Smile_great:

Alexeiy #13 Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:52 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 14260 battles
Well it seems like you're one of the guys who know how to scout :Smile_great: , but I would recommend to nearly always go to some forwarded spot and take either a look where all enemys are going(M24 has a great viewrange for a reason :Smile_blinky: )  or just wait for their flank to come and spot them for a while and hope that your team can do something with your given infos.
The problem of people TKing scout tanks is mostly on the T-50 series, while the other scouts are not that strongly seen as "scouts" and I would recommend to nearly never hear to some of these guys who say go scout, if you win more often in scouting your way than keep doing it.  I had 1 time a Jpz4 in my team telling me to "scout", although there was clearly a camper infront of me :facepalmic: .

PRO_MEMBER #14 Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

Major

• Player
  • 22271 battles
  • [ICYA] ICYA

View Posthazzin, on 10 August 2012 - 12:02 AM, said:

Imo there is nothing more valuable than T5 scout still alive in closing minutes of the match.

this. good scouts survive to the end (or close) of the battle.

Murphy1up #15 Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

Lieutenant General

• Military Reserve
  • 11361 battles
  • [-QQ-] -QQ-
It's not so much imaginary rules. It's just sometimes expecting players to know when they need to do something.

If i'm in a heavy or med and I'm being shot from distance, when no other tanks in my team are engaged with the enemy, I don't want to see a tier 4 or 5 light sitting in between both groups doing nothing, or driving about behind me.
There is places to passive spot yes, but there is also times in battle where your speed and your high camo value is required to get vision on another area of the battlefield.
A really really key point for scout players - If the enemy team has ELC AMX, your job will be to chase them down. You're pretty much the only tanks in your team that can keep up with them.

Stick #16 Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:46 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 10093 battles
Probably players expect light tanks to scout first, instead camping the base, hidden in a bush, shooting with their peashooters at the enemy heavies front armor from 500m away.

lewisunderwood #17 Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10002 battles

PS. your profile name reminds me of a old PC game called "shadow company" where lewis underwood was the first mercenairies under your direct control. great game, havn't seen many games like it.

That's exactly where the name is from :)

Nice to see at someone remembers this nice old game these days. ! feeling real old now .... but i assume not many guys here remember even older stuff like C64 with Games like SteelThunder these days.

lewisunderwood #18 Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10002 battles

View PostEctar, on 10 August 2012 - 12:31 PM, said:

A really really key point for scout players - If the enemy team has ELC AMX, your job will be to chase them down. You're pretty much the only tanks in your team that can keep up with them.

That's a good point. I can agree with this that if i see an inbound scout, i can (try) to go after him or at least send a few shots for his tracks with my "laser beam accurate" Chaffee gun before he is within range to spot our arty.

But if the scout he is driving just in front of his own team (which has also some benefits of course) should i really give up my hidden position ?

I know this is very situational. But if a big part of the enemy team is spotted or "lighted up" (maybe by myself) why should i give away my position (and in higher tier battles, often one-shooted) by shooting at a scout which is far away from arty or any other valuable target. As in my opinion, one of the weak points (from my VK2801) is it's relatively slow acceleration so my tank is very vulnerable when i shoot and then starting to move for relocation. But i guess that's another story.

Thomas_The_Tank_Engine #19 Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15530 battles
  • [OCUK] OCUK
All depends on the map and the situation.

Lighting up the enemy artillery is often the most game-changing thing a light-tank can do, and a smart player will wait until the right moment to do so.

Sometimes you can dash past 12 tanks and get to the 3 arty, but most of the time somebody will shoot you.

If you wait until those 12 have split up across the map and are being distracted by your team-mates, you stand a much better chance of getting through and often end up winning the game for your team.

Sean473 #20 Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:39 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 15264 battles
  • [DIE] DIE

View Posthazzin, on 10 August 2012 - 12:02 AM, said:

That's if they stay alive... 99.99% of the time, most of them are dead in first 3 mins of the match...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users