ELC study

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

Slyspy #21 Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14289 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
They are almost as annoying to play against as those T-50-2s since they are fast and agile and with a low profile. With a fps of 20-50 and a typical ping of 60 I have great trouble tracking these fast targets, but maybe that is just me.

I sold my ELC because I wanted the garage slot more than a turretless light tank, but I might eventually go back to it.

jodgi #22 Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38197 battles

View PostBattleMetalChris, on 20 August 2012 - 01:25 AM, said:

Play it like a fighter plane; you choose a target, close the distance in a big loop, then turn and head straight for it, "dakka-dakka-dakka!!!!" then turn away.

hehe, I like your take on it. I wish it was "dakka-dakka-dakka" and not only the "dak" ;)

It's like a Bf-109 with the 30mm potato lobber gun in the spinner :P

MushLvP #23 Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4311 battles
Is it only me that thinks the gun is a bit OP? No? :)

theghostcat #24 Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

Major

• Player
  • 0 battles
Good summary.  Got it for free, I gave it 10 games, decided I didn't like how this tank had a complete lack of a dedicated roll - sold it.

If it had a better radio, or a turret, or a decent aim time, I prolly would have kept it...I just thought the other tier 5 'scouts' to a better job.

Edited by theghostcat, 20 August 2012 - 02:49 PM.

VVere #25 Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:56 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10922 battles

View Posttheghostcat, on 20 August 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

If it [had] a [...], or a turret, or a decent aim time
It would be completely OP. I LOVE driving mine, it's the most fun tank in the whole game.

theghostcat #26 Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:59 PM

Major

• Player
  • 0 battles

View Posttheghostcat, on 20 August 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

If it had a better radio, or a turret, or a decent aim time, I prolly would have kept it...I just though the other tier 5 'scouts' to a better job.

View PostVVere, on 20 August 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

It would be completely OP. I LOVE driving mine, it's the most fun tank in the whole game.

If it had all 3 sure, I would have taken just one of those 3!

CroustibatFR #27 Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 23297 battles
Considering its radio and view range, it fails as a scout...

It is fun to drive yes but most people just go kamikaze with them. As far as i cant tell, you cant circle a T50-2 with it, unless its driver is AFK ... as soon as you go in a circle you cant fire on it, and the T50-2 is faster and more manoeuvrable. I like chasing ELCs in my T50-2. They are pretty easy to outmanoeuver, and once i am behind or on their side, it does not take long until they stop moving.

It is kind of stange to play. It really needs a radio to act as a scout... without that, it just is a small blind TD with a light tank status.

Drogzar #28 Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4260 battles
Read the whole post before thinking anything:

It is quite OP as suicide scouting torpedo.

Why? Because at its tier, most scouts just do suicide scouting, so this tank is as fast as them, and with low profile, enough to avoid some shells to get Scout Medal.

So... if it is like the rest, why is OP?

Because at the end of the suicide rush, he can just charge against the tank he wants, shot as much as he can, and do stupid amounts of damage before dying, which is something that other scouts cant do. In fact, if after the first rush it survives, it can be used as a suicide torpedo to destroy an already damaged heavy tank.

Plus, the skill required is almost none. Just go straight against something and blow it up before dying, as long as you do your own life in damage (easy), you have contributed to the game far more than half of your team will do by camping in base, going AFK or lemmingtraining and stopping the 10 tanks train at the sight of 1 medium.

Now seriously, I don't like it at all because the style and in general, all french tanks design, but seems to be a new kind of tank, a pure hit and run fast TD.

About people complaining that it is not a scout, IIRC, ALL light tanks maintain the same camo value when moving than when standing, and therefore, is still better scout than any other no-light tank in the team.

CroustibatFR #29 Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:46 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 23297 battles

View PostDrogzar, on 20 August 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

Read the whole post before thinking anything:

It is quite OP as suicide scouting torpedo.

Why? Because at its tier, most scouts just do suicide scouting, so this tank is as fast as them, and with low profile, enough to avoid some shells to get Scout Medal.

So... if it is like the rest, why is OP?

Because at the end of the suicide rush, he can just charge against the tank he wants, shot as much as he can, and do stupid amounts of damage before dying, which is something that other scouts cant do. In fact, if after the first rush it survives, it can be used as a suicide torpedo to destroy an already damaged heavy tank.

Plus, the skill required is almost none. Just go straight against something and blow it up before dying, as long as you do your own life in damage (easy), you have contributed to the game far more than half of your team will do by camping in base, going AFK or lemmingtraining and stopping the 10 tanks train at the sight of 1 medium.

Now seriously, I don't like it at all because the style and in general, all french tanks design, but seems to be a new kind of tank, a pure hit and run fast TD.

About people complaining that it is not a scout, IIRC, ALL light tanks maintain the same camo value when moving than when standing, and therefore, is still better scout than any other no-light tank in the team.

You really need to apply what you wrote as a first sentence :Smile_trollface-3:

300-ish radio range & view range = not a scout, whatever you may think about it. Scouting means being able to spot enemies and relay position. Light tanks are about being small and agile, but a light is not necessary a scout. M5 is a bush, passive scout. T50 / -2 are active scouts, their view range is somewhat too small and they get seen before they see anything if they stay in a bush (unless they have camo net/skill), hence they need to be on the move. And they got 700m radio range.

Being a light does not mean you are a scout. ELC is blind and cant transmit enemy position, so in the end it may get a scout medal, but it wont have helped at all because no one in the team would have seen enemies pop up on the radar or on their view.

Drogzar #30 Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4260 battles

View PostCroustibatFR, on 20 August 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

300-ish radio range & view range = not a scout, whatever you may think about it. Scouting means being able to spot enemies and relay position. Light tanks are about being small and agile, but a light is not necessary a scout. M5 is a bush, passive scout. T50 / -2 are active scouts, their view range is somewhat too small and they get seen before they see anything if they stay in a bush (unless they have camo net/skill), hence they need to be on the move. And they got 700m radio range.

Being a light does not mean you are a scout. ELC is blind and cant transmit enemy position, so in the end it may get a scout medal, but it wont have helped at all because no one in the team would have seen enemies pop up on the radar or on their view.

View PostDrogzar, on 20 August 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

I DID NOT say that they are good scouts. I just pointed out that, when the ONLY light tank in the whole team is the frenchie one, he is still BETTER (not the best, just better) than any other non-light tank because he could move and stay undetected closer than any other tank.

I already had this conversation too many times ingame when I was forced to scout with my IS (sigh) when assaulting Malinovka because the frenchies were as stubborn as a fking rock so you can decide to understand what I'm saying, or keep saying that "they are not good scouts" without seeing my point, I won't argue back.

taattis #31 Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23202 battles
  • [OLENI] OLENI

View PostMushLvP, on 20 August 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

Is it only me that thinks the gun is a bit OP? No? :)

I dont know how could anyone consider that gun op by any means. It has only alpha and penetration going for it. No accuracy on move at all, terrible aim time and extremely low DPM.

Whittle #32 Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 358 battles

View PostStokkolm, on 20 August 2012 - 09:51 AM, said:

I tought that too at first, but it's accuracy on the move is really low, this tactic didn't work great on me.

yes - but as fighter piilots in WW2 used to say, the good pilots had the nerve to close in on the enemy till the enmys wingtips "filled" the gunsight. Run for a tank and only fire once hes so flippin close, his hull fills the circle then break away. i tried it with varying degrees of success :P

_AceOfSpades_ #33 Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:48 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5670 battles
This tank is pissing me off but maybe its cuz of the horrible teams i had in my 1st 3 matches with it, 3 losses -_-

Whittle #34 Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:51 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 358 battles
The single bigget pain in the A*s is the aim time - 2.9 sec...wtf ? mor elike 10sec.

No, seriously now - the turret traverse is not that bad actually - lots of TDs have less (have you played the premium french TD ? ...omg), and given how manouvreable it is thats not an issue - I see the limited traverse as a tradeoff for having a freaking huge gun with 165 (?) pen - at tier 5, so its ok. Reload is ok too - its a big gun on a small tier 5 tank.

So yeah - its just that aim times peeing me off - I hope it improves as my crew is gonna get to a 100 (only 76 right now) & once I install a gun-laying thingy.

But then again - think about it....

If the aim time & reload were half of what they are now how OP would that thing be ?

...exactly

Tanks have 3 cardinal qualities - Armour, firepower and mobility.

Remember how OP the KV was ? That was because it had the best armour and firepower at tier 5.

Currently, the Amc AMX arguably, has the best mobility (apart from scouts) and firepower at tier 5 - offset by no armour, so still a great tank depite its frustrations.

Edited by Whittle, 01 September 2012 - 08:57 PM.

Feinel #35 Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:32 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24321 battles
I hated it at first, but now that my crew is at 90%+ and I have it fully upgraded I've started really enjoying this 'thing'. It's not really a proper scout as people have said already, the radio range is quite low, although if the map forces me to play it more like a TD (malinovka assault hi) then I'll wait with going up to the ramp till my team members get closer, they can then rely my spotting to the arty's.

Overall very fun tank once you get used it and buy the upgrades, it's pretty weak without the cannon upgrade.

vietlord #36 Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

Private

• Player
  • 25220 battles
  • [00X00] 00X00
I'd compare the ELC to the Mosquito (plane):
_ speed enough to flee from hunters but being in trouble with good opponents (but their "fighters" might be hurt by the AA of their own camp when too near of me :Smile_teethhappy: )
_ weapons: big bombing path (fire near the target full speed and dodge or crash on target) ou rockets (TD from far and disengage)
_ weak life HP-armor BUT wooden price
_ not recco but still pathfinders-able
_ "night-fighter", at the end of a battle, they track lone preys from nowhere
_ playing with clouds (ground depression) to avoid AA

http://en.wikipedia....illand_Mosquito

Temptis #37 Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32501 battles

View PostCroustibatFR, on 20 August 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

You really need to apply what you wrote as a first sentence :Smile_trollface-3:

you are so many miles off with that analysis, your actualy off the map, mate.
any tank is able to "scout" as it just means to keep enemy tanks lit up without getting killed. this can even be done by a near-dead T110 sitting in a bush (if that bush covers it)
low radio range only hampens the ELC itself because you will not see what happens on the other side of the map.
all tanks within your drawing distance and all arty will receive your radio signal, because it's their raido range + yours which counts. (RTFM)

Tenkaido #38 Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16823 battles
I acknowledge its potential. I had fun killing a Panther frontally, not to mention trolling all those careless E-50s, among others. However, it doesn't quite match my play style. The lack of a proper turret is quite a hindrance for me. Though, the gun is truly  awesome.

3Durka1 #39 Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 16054 battles
I love when 2 elc are fighting its like watching knights with lances

Also tagged with ELC, study

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users