If YOU wanna buy a PC, you should know...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

Ice_Sniper #1 Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

Private

• Player
  • 15607 battles
Hey there guys, first of all sorry if i make some mistakes, i'm not english ^^

I'm here to give you guys that want to buy a PC some tips about it.

First of all, i'm gonna speak about PC's for PLAYING and so.

If you want to buy a PC for playing and such things, DON'T NEVER EVER BUY A LAPTOP. NEVER. EVER.

First RULE: NEVER EVER buy a PRE-MOUNTED PC. NEVER. EVER. Buy ALWAYS a PC in pieces, what i mean is, i'm sure there is a informatic shop near your house. Go there and ask for a PC, tell them for what you want it, and they'll surely give you the "perfect" pieces for your PC according to your money and "need of MOAR textures" It is a lot cheaper than a pre-mounted PC. Why? Becouse in this shops you buy can buy the CPU separatly of the mouse, etc etc, so if you have this "addons" in your house, you don't need to buy them again.

Appart from that, a pre-mounted PC is WRONG MADE. What i mean with that? It maybe has a ultra-super-duper processor, but surely all the other pieces are pure SCRAP.*

When you buy your own PC, you can choose the pieces, and the people in the shop will help you to do so. So, the "power" of all the pieces will be equal, not like a pre-mounted one, which maybe has what i said in *

Why i make this guide? A year ago, idiot me, i bought a laptop, which had 2gb video card and i was like :OOOOO OOOO: :Smile_ohmy:  :Smile_ohmy:  WITH DAT I'LL B DA BEST IN WOT OMG OMG :Smile-hiding::Smile-hiding:

Idiot me 1000 times. That costed me 699 €, and it is as bad as a 0-hit in WoT :Smile_smile:
Yesterday, curious me, i wanted to check if i could afford some "better-than-this-crap" PC. I went to a shop in my town and they told me that they ripped me off with that crap laptop. I told them that i wanted to use the PC to play and doing such things and they showed me some pieces to make a very potent PC comparing to mine. They showed me the price and i was like :arta::Smile-angry::Smile-angry::Smile_confused::Smile-bajan2::Smile_amazed:

610€ FOR A CPU THAT IS 100x TIMES BETTER THAN THIS CRAP???¡¡¡¡¡ (I already have monitor for the PC and mouse etc. so i only need to buy the CPU)

So here is some info i couldnt add becouse i couldn't find the words to write it ^^ (Thanks to The_Duellist, Ecotech, BattleMetalChris, Jag0)

Motherboard - That has enough slots for all the upgrades.
CPU - 2 cores is enough but it doesn't hurt to have 4, but it should have enough power on single core for some problematic Games such as WoT.
RAM - 2 RAM  cards with 4gig. each (Your RAM must be compatible with your system, and both RAM cards need to be same so they work together)
GPU - One is enough but make sure that besides it having the power in gigabytes, also to have the speed to use that power. (Also make sure its compatible with rest of the system for maximum performance)
HDD - More the merrier.
And for the end the Case, strong enough PSU to power all that machinery, and a decent cooling system for it.

I was so frustrated that i decided to make this thread so people that want to buy PC's don't make such big mistakes as me. So yeah, that's all folks, i hope you enjoyed my story, see you in the battlefields :Smile_glasses:

(I'll update this thread if i feel like i need to add more info)

Edit: As I said, this is only a thread about what happened to me. of course there are a lot of exception like non-cheap and well-made PC's, and very powerful laptops, but this is my story and describes what i know about these things. Adding the things that more professional people posted:

I will reiterate this. Never, ever, ever go cheap on a PSU. Although they're often half or even 1/3 of the price of the good brands, don't be tempted by cheap PSUs. They rarely give the stated power output, the voltages they provide are far less stable, they are far more likely to go boom, and if (when?) they do spectacularly fail, they're a lot more likely to take out other parts of your PC too.

1. Don't buy laptops for gaming. Let me correct it for you: don't buy CHEAP laptops for gaming. Try an Alienware. Price to performance ratio still pushes you to buy PC's.
2.  Pre-made PC's. Just what kind of pre-made pc's are we talking about? Supermarket (Tesco style) crap or brand-names like Dell, Hp, FS? Please be more clear on this.
3. Balancing components: in my humble opinion and experience (15+ years) home-made pc's rarely find the balance that you take for granted in  brand-names. Yes, brand-names will cost a bit extra, but once you open up the case, you'll understand why: cable management, cooling guaranteed to fit the components, quality assembly and so on. Of course, the build quality is doable for a home-builder too, but once you add up the costs, most of the times it comes very close to a pre-built brand name.
What would I put in a home-built PC?
CPU: CPU AMD FX-8150 X8 3.6GHZ 8MB  (plenty of power, even on single-core games)
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth (all the CPU in the world can't help you if your mainboard is crap)
Memory: DIMM 8GB DDR3 PC12800 CORSAIR KIT 4X2GB (8 gb is the bare minimum these days. pay up!)
Hard drives: hard to choose here, but there is one thing that you need to keep in mind before buying: gaming needs speed, big drives are slow drives. Buy big for storage, buy small and fast for applications.\
Graphics: sky is the limit, or your budget. I'd go with two pieces of ASUS AMD HD6870.
Case: very important! you'll need space to work, space to do cable management, for cooling and so on. You don't need lights, neons, plexiglass and whatnot. You DO NEED solid shielding, heavy duty metal, low vibration, good workmanship. In short, you'll need a Chieftec case. CHIEFTEC  UNI L LBX-02B-B-B-OP.
Power source: SIRTEC 1000W HPC-1000-G14C. It should be enough for all you need.

Most pre-made PC builders (even the 'big' ones) will happily sell you just the desktop tower, with no mouse, screen, keyboard etc and will let you upgrade/tailor the parts to achieve whatever spec you want.
In my experience, little independent PC shops will (apart from a few wonderful but hard to find exceptions) just rip you off if they think you know nothing.

I do some hardware repairs for PC shops , one of them is excellent in the above respect .
If you know nothing , he will tailor the build to your needs and requirements .
On occasion he has even , got an old case , resprayed it on some fancy metallic and then not charged a single penny to the customer , so that more RAM could be afforded for the build .
Operates a no fix no fee policy etc .
Now there's this other guy , he will put second hand parts in a new build and charge new money for it .
He has also put used laptop drives in a desktop build , pirated software onto customers machines ....etc .
I suppose the moral of this is :
If you find a good local PC shop , be loyal to them , buy everything you can from them (even if PC world is handy) , and support them .
In the financial climate of today , small businesses are closing all the time , if you like the shop help them stay open with your custom .

Edited by Ice_Sniper, 14 August 2012 - 01:29 AM.

tisl3r #2 Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:10 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10189 battles
Yep.. laptops have those shits all slammed in there and left no space.
Fixed your -2 negative rep, gave +1

Yag0 #3 Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 3168 battles
Simple stuff everyone should know , and laptops , yes I don't think much of those .
Would +1 you , but I'm out for today :(

The_Duellist #4 Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 13573 battles
Well my knowledge on decent building your own PC (For gaming) is somewhat like this (by priority).

Motherboard - That has enough slots for all the upgrades.
CPU - 2 cores is enough but it doesn't hurt to have 4, but it should have enough power on single core for some problematic Games such as WoT.
RAM - 2 RAM  cards with 4gig. each (Your RAM must be compatible with your system, and both RAM cards need to be same so they work together)
GPU - One is enough but make sure that besides it having the power in gigabytes, also to have the speed to use that power. (Also make sure its compatible with rest of the system for maximum performance)
HDD - More the merrier.

And for the end the Case, strong enough PSU to power all that machinery, and a decent cooling system for it.

Ice_Sniper #5 Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:30 PM

Private

• Player
  • 15607 battles
Thank you for that +1, i don't know who gave me -1 i think it was the ones that sold me my laptop :Smile_trollface-3:  And well, i couldnt explain much more of grafic card and that becouse i haven't the english level, so i'll give +1 who posts nice info (Like the_duellist, i wanted to say all that but i couldnt ^^) Adding that. Thank you all! :Smile_Default:

Ecotech #6 Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17502 battles
Isn't it cute....but so wrong. Wrong. Wrong!!!

1. Don't buy laptops for gaming. Let me correct it for you: don't buy CHEAP laptops for gaming. Try an Alienware. Price to performance ratio still pushes you to buy PC's.

2.  Pre-made PC's. Just what kind of pre-made pc's are we talking about? Supermarket (Tesco style) crap or brand-names like Dell, Hp, FS? Please be more clear on this.

3. Balancing components: in my humble opinion and experience (15+ years) home-made pc's rarely find the balance that you take for granted in  brand-names. Yes, brand-names will cost a bit extra, but once you open up the case, you'll understand why: cable management, cooling guaranteed to fit the components, quality assembly and so on. Of course, the build quality is doable for a home-builder too, but once you add up the costs, most of the times it comes very close to a pre-built brand name.

CPU: CPU AMD FX-8150 X8 3.6GHZ 8MB  (plenty of power, even on single-core games)

Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth (all the CPU in the world can't help you if your mainboard is crap)

Memory: DIMM 8GB DDR3 PC12800 CORSAIR KIT 4X2GB (8 gb is the bare minimum these days. pay up!)

Hard drives: hard to choose here, but there is one thing that you need to keep in mind before buying: gaming needs speed, big drives are slow drives. Buy big for storage, buy small and fast for applications.\

Graphics: sky is the limit, or your budget. I'd go with two pieces of ASUS AMD HD6870.

Case: very important! you'll need space to work, space to do cable management, for cooling and so on. You don't need lights, neons, plexiglass and whatnot. You DO NEED solid shielding, heavy duty metal, low vibration, good workmanship. In short, you'll need a Chieftec case. CHIEFTEC  UNI L LBX-02B-B-B-OP.

Edited by Ecotech, 12 August 2012 - 08:12 PM.

Ferdiad #7 Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:08 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7386 battles
  • [IDONT] IDONT
Only buy Alienware if you hate having money.

Ecotech #8 Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17502 battles

View PostFerdiad, on 12 August 2012 - 08:08 PM, said:

Only buy Alienware if you hate having money.

He was talking about gaming on laptops and how it did not work out for him. I just pointed out that you can game on laptops, as long as you are willing to throw some serious cash at it.

Edited by Ecotech, 12 August 2012 - 08:14 PM.

Ice_Sniper #9 Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:59 PM

Private

• Player
  • 15607 battles

View PostEcotech, on 12 August 2012 - 07:46 PM, said:

Isn't it cute....but so wrong. Wrong. Wrong!!!

Well, i made this guide for those people who are normal and earn ~1500€ month not for those bank directors ^^' Understand me, if you want to spend your house and car and even your family in a PC, of course you can go even HIGHER with PC's, but this is my personal experience and probably will help a few over there. So, if you want to do a thread with your experience with "high tier PC's" you can do it, this is a different thread :P Anyway nice contribution!! +1

Ecotech #10 Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17502 battles
The parts I put there are totalling around 1100 Euros without even trying to find the best deal - I just went to my regular supplier and copied the prices. So with some proper money-management and deal-hunting, one can build a kick-ass system. A comparable system from some big name builder will probably  cost 200+ extra, but you get it all in one piece, no time spent on parts-hunting and building.

The point I am trying to make is that low cost computers have a high total cost of ownership, without the satisfaction given by a decent rig. I buy / sell / build / service computers for a living and during all these years this became painfully obvious: cheap up front, expensive later on.

Edited by Ecotech, 12 August 2012 - 09:32 PM.

BattleMetalChris #11 Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9222 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostIce_Sniper, on 12 August 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

It is a lot cheaper than a pre-mounted PC. Why? Becouse in this shops you buy can buy the CPU separatly of the mouse, etc etc, so if you have this "addons" in your house, you don't need to buy them again.
Appart from that, a pre-mounted PC is WRONG MADE. What i mean with that? It maybe has a ultra-super-duper processor, but surely all the other pieces are pure SCRAP.*

Most pre-made PC builders (even the 'big' ones) will happily sell you just the desktop tower, with no mouse, screen, keyboard etc and will let you upgrade/tailor the parts to achieve whatever spec you want.

In my experience, little independent PC shops will (apart from a few wonderful but hard to find exceptions) just rip you off if they think you know nothing.

If you know how do do things, it can be incredibly rewarding to build your own desktop (I'm on my 6th home-built one) but if you don't know what you're doing, you are best off with a pre-built one that carries a proper warranty; just, y'know... do a little research and apply a little common sense first.

Edited by BattleMetalChris, 13 August 2012 - 12:28 PM.

skrki #12 Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 39129 battles
If one can spare some $$ for and SSD its really a nice speed boost on loads and overal system responsiviness
100Eur SSD as System disk and never looked back :)

Yag0 #13 Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 3168 battles

View PostBattleMetalChris, on 13 August 2012 - 12:26 PM, said:

Sad but true .
I do some hardware repairs for PC shops , one of them is excellent in the above respect .
If you know nothing , he will tailor the build to your needs and requirements .
On occasion he has even , got an old case , resprayed it on some fancy metallic and then not charged a single penny to the customer , so that more RAM could be afforded for the build .
Operates a no fix no fee policy etc .

Now there's this other guy , he will put second hand parts in a new build and charge new money for it .
He has also put used laptop drives in a desktop build , pirated software onto customers machines ....etc .

I suppose the moral of this is :
If you find a good local PC shop , be loyal to them , buy everything you can from them (even if PC world is handy) , and support them .
In the financial climate of today , small businesses are closing all the time , if you like the shop help them stay open with your custom .

(Oh I remembered to +1 the OP too :) )

Ice_Sniper #14 Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:22 PM

Private

• Player
  • 15607 battles
Added the info :)

FIea #15 Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4892 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
Here's a great example to a home built PC (taking mine as example):

CPU: Amd Phenom II X6 1090T @5.4GHZ - This is a beast. Sure you may get the latest Intel but remember, this powerhouse is faster, it can run at 6.0GHZ.
GPU: 2x AMD Radeon 6870 - You don't need more than this. Go for the 7970 or 690 but only do that if you want to play Crysis 2 with 6 screens or w/e.
Motherboard: AsRock 970 Extreme3 - Amazing compatibility. Everything fits. Epic overclocking ability.
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 - No need to explain this, the more GB's and frequency, the better.
Case: CM Storm Trooper - There's this thing called showing off. It isn't just for show. Always remember, you have cables and those cables need to be hidden.
HDD: Western Digital WD10EARS - Because I like to go green and I don't care about my loading times.
PSU: OCZ ModxStream Pro 700 watt - It feels like it runs at 1000 watt and that is good.

Why do you need 6 cores? Because you are able to assign cores to programs.
Why do you need 2 graphics cards? Because of your FPS.
Why do you need LEDs in your case? To raise the middle finger to the branded PC users.

Ice_Sniper #16 Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:48 PM

Private

• Player
  • 15607 battles

View PostK1MOR, on 13 August 2012 - 10:14 PM, said:

CPU: Amd Phenom II X6 1090T @5.4GHZ - This is a beast. Sure you may get the latest Intel but remember, this powerhouse is faster, it can run at 6.0GHZ.
GPU: 2x AMD Radeon 6870 - You don't need more than this. Go for the 7970 or 690 but only do that if you want to play Crysis 2 with 6 screens or w/e.
Motherboard: AsRock 970 Extreme3 - Amazing compatibility. Everything fits. Epic overclocking ability.
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 - No need to explain this, the more GB's and frequency, the better.
Case: CM Storm Trooper - There's this thing called showing off. It isn't just for show. Always remember, you have cables and those cables need to be hidden.
HDD: Western Digital WD10EARS - Because I like to go green and I don't care about my loading times.
PSU: OCZ ModxStream Pro 700 watt - It feels like it runs at 1000 watt and that is good.

Why do you need LEDs in your case? To raise the middle finger to the branded PC users.

Just a question, how much did that cost to you?

Sgt_Bones #17 Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 2847 battles
  • [-FC-] -FC-
He probably didn't spend as much as you would think, except on the case.

I Personally believe in recycling, my case is actually a personally modded 1993 386 server tower (has a label on the back which says that!) but ya know, it has a huge damn door on it that makes working inside a dream!http://a1.sphotos.ak...883215957_n.jpg

The main board from Asrock is really great, buddy of mine just got one for 65€, I have the 870 version from Asrock but only because it has some awesome extra features. I have been using ONLY Asrock boards for as long as Asrock exists, and I am very pleased with their Price/performance, good quality, good price, and good customer support too.

Ram is cheap atm, so the more the merrier!

Graphics cards are always a place where folks argue, so I will not admit to being an nvidia fanboi running Sli 560gtx...oops, did admit it, damn ;) But his are good, and are also relatively affordable in the long run.

Hard drives are something that one should always pay more for better quality, because well, without your data, your computer isn't more than a paperweight, and I like his choice and reasons....I personally don't like the brand, but that is because I have been burned with WD drives years ago and just avoid them, this is though only a personal opinion.

Nice power supply, probably costs as much as the CPU! I know my Thermaltake 775w Toughpower XT cost me 120€, but I do not regret it, it is quiet, dependable, and has that nice custom cable set so you use only cables you need, and not have a bunch of wires hanging around. And this is always an area where if you go cheap, you go wrong....cheap PSU's don't provide stable power to a system, and I have seen more than one which after adding a really good PSU became a stable and dependable system, so never, ever skimp there, it is just not worth saving 20€ and then buying another PSU 6 months later.

That CPU though....woah, some nice speed out of it! Call me lazy, or satisfied, I have the Phenom II x4 965 Black edition, 3.4ghz, can clock it up to 4ghz no probs, but hey, why? It does its job no problem, and atm cost around 90€  But after seeing the speed of the 1090, hmmmmm..........well, maybe I might just upgrade....well, point being, a lot of the stuff is cheaper than one expects, but can still bring performance!

All in all, I would say k1mor has got a lot of power for a decent price...and most assuredly better than anything Dell or other companies offer.

Edited by Sgt_Bones, 14 August 2012 - 12:07 AM.

BattleMetalChris #18 Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:57 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9222 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostSgt_Bones, on 13 August 2012 - 11:57 PM, said:

always an area where if you go cheap, you go wrong....cheap PSU's don't provide stable power to a system, and I have seen more than one which after adding a really good PSU became a stable and dependable system, so never, ever skimp there, it is just not worth saving 20€ and then buying another PSU 6 months later.

Yes, I will reiterate this. Never, ever, ever go cheap on a PSU. Although they're often half or even 1/3 of the price of the good brands, don't be tempted by cheap PSUs. They rarely give the stated power output, the voltages they provide are far less stable, they are far more likely to go boom, and if (when?) they do spectacularly fail, they're a lot more likely to take out other parts of your PC too.

Edited by BattleMetalChris, 14 August 2012 - 12:57 AM.

Ice_Sniper #19 Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:28 AM

Private

• Player
  • 15607 battles

View PostBattleMetalChris, on 14 August 2012 - 12:57 AM, said:

Yes, I will reiterate this. Never, ever, ever go cheap on a PSU. Although they're often half or even 1/3 of the price of the good brands, don't be tempted by cheap PSUs. They rarely give the stated power output, the voltages they provide are far less stable, they are far more likely to go boom, and if (when?) they do spectacularly fail, they're a lot more likely to take out other parts of your PC too.
I think so too, adding.

BramSd #20 Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 13788 battles

You sir, are WRONG.

Let me explain:
CPU: you don't need 6 cores. There are only a few programs optimized for 2, let alone 6 cores. WoT for example uses only a single core. Clockspeed and number of cores don't mean very much. Just read a few comparing reviews and settle for the cheapest one that exceeds your purpose.
GPU: if you are a casual gamer or only play games that don't require much of you GPU (like World of Tanks) you don't need TWO HD6870's. A single one is just fine.
Motherboard: see CPU. Just read a comparing review and choose the best one for you purpose. Keep in mind that CPU and Motherboard must be matched to work with eachother.
RAM: get the cheapest possible set of 8GB DDR3 (assuming the motherboard supports DDR3) running at a minimum of 1333MHz. These modules all have a lifetime warrany these days.
Case: get a nice looking one that suits your wallet. Only thing to really keep in mind is to get one with enough room for your GPU. You can get one with USB3 front ports if you want. Brand is not important, though the well-known ones usually offer decent build quality. You know, good vibrations.
HDD: you can get an SSD (expensive) to shorten load times in games. You won't need it, but it's fun. Otherwise get a decent hdd from established brands like Samsung, Western Digital or Seagate. Again: read comparing reviews.
PSU: get a good one. Can't stress this enough. It is VERY important to get a PSU with an 80+ label. This guarantees a high efficiency and thus lower heat generation.With the setup mentioned above, I would look for a 600 watt PSU or maybe even 700 watt. Calculating this is easy: google the TDP for all components (each ram module is about 5 watt and each hdd is about 10 watt), add them together (you get something like 400 watt maybe) and multiply by 1.5. This is what you should get in terms of wattage.

Saying that a 6-core amd processor is FASTER than the latest Intel processor, is similar to saying your new Landrover SUV is faster than a Bugatti Veyron because it's bigger. It's simply wrong.
Saying you need 2 graphics cards is also wrong for much the same reason. Just read comparing reviews and keep in mind that 2 GPU's are not twice as fast a single one. It doesn't scale perfectly.
Saying a 700W psu runs like a 1000W psu is ignorant as the wattage does absolutely NOTHING for the performance. It only needs to be enough to run everything at it's max.
To finish: recommending specific components is a bad idea in an industry that changes radically, daily.

Edited by BramSd, 15 August 2012 - 04:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users