shooting range glock magnum

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

Szah #1 Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:22 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4897 battles
WARNING: This is a "get a life" thread.

Just yesterday I looked over the Internet for nearby shooting ranges.

First choice establishment was closed that day (unfortunately, as they had a choice of long barrelled firearms and automatics - AK-47, AK .22, SVD Dragunov, H&K MP5, Mossberg and some others I didn't know). Next one had only small firearms (pistols, revolvers), so the choice was somewhat narrow, but ammo prices were much lower (40% lower in fact).

It was a half an hour drive away, in a somewhat suburban area. As it was mid week the range was practically empty. I chose the guns, Glock 9mm pistol and a .357 Magnum revolver, couple dozens of bullets, paid and asked an instructor to help me out with the basics (as this was my first with live weapons - only pneumatics and paintball till this point).

In short - it was really fun! Next time I'll take a friend along, for some competitive shooting. Some other time, I'll go for the other range, where they have bigger guns. Just to test those out!

The trip had cost 20 Euros and it was totally worth it. Also, you don't need a firearm licence when you rent a gun, the instructor will only ask if you had practice with handguns and either help you out or let you handle it alone.

The guns:

Glock 9mm - http://www.youtube.c...h?v=NKQ-E3HNP9A

Posted Image

Taurus Model 65 Magnum .357 - http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jrSoob_d0kE

http://img4.findtheb..._Revolver_1.jpg

The 357 was great - trigger was feather light and the gun felt accurate. The recoil was weak, thanks to it's weight. I wouldn't say it was heavy, rather "sturdy and solid". I was using flat head competition bullets. I did get some consistent hits (at weakspots, lol) at 10m and 15m. With larger target board it was easy enough to land shots around the chest or head areas. With smaller board  at 15m it became tricky to hit particular areas, I could surely hit the upper body, but couldn't really focus fire on particular body parts - 2x head, 1x ear, 1x close to heart and 1x complete miss was the best volley at 15m small target (aiming at head). Next time I might try a shorter barrel version, just to see if the recoil would be stronger with lighter frame and if accuracy worsened. All in all I'd compare it to 88L71 - easy to hit weakspots at close range, easy to hit general area (turret, engine compartment etc.) at 200m+.

The Glock on the other hand felt like crap. It's body is plastic-polymer-composite and really light. Thanks to that while shooting the gun jumps crazy in your hands. Plus trigger works at 2,5kg force applied, that is you have to press it firmly, which distracts your palms hold on the gun. So it looked sleek and modern but I couldn't get satisfactory results with it (used full metal jacket ammo). At 10m large target I could land shots at the general torso area consistently enough, but nothing more. Sometimes it was the chest, other shot stomach, and so on. I'd compare it to soviet D25T - random at close range, unpredictable and unreliable at distance.

No 0 dmg penetrating shots were observed. The instructor refrained from commenting "We hit them hard!".

I'd say the pneumatic experience helped me a lot. Knowing how to use gun sights is simply required. Practice a bit with pneumatic guns before, rather than disgracing yourself at the range.

So if you feel a little bit fed up with the game, or with WG stance towards players, or with constant forum ranting and whining - GO GET A LIFE and DO SOMETHING FUN.

EemeIi #2 Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:49 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21174 battles
Where are you from? Don't know about renting weapons at a range, but it might not be that easy in all countries. Maybe one needs a license or something.

I'm from Finland and was in the army for a year. That said, I've shot with a lot of different things: assault rifle, pistol, shotgun, machine guns, AA machine gun, practise shots with RPGs. It is actually quite fun (shooting pop up targets in the forest much more than targets at a range), but I never bothered after the year.

PS. I do agree with your bottom lime, wot forum is and endless pit of whining. Some people ought to do fun things instead, be it whatever they consider fun.

Szah #3 Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:45 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4897 battles
I'm from Poland. There are strict controls on firearms here, but it turns out mostly on trade and ownership. Example, some time ago (4 yrs) cross border trade with Czech Rep started being monitored, as you could actually buy an assault rifle (locking mechanism removed) from Aukro.cz and have it delivered to you. Czechs were recognizing firearms with damaged/removed barrels or locking mechanisms as excluded from gun control regulations. Perhaps some Czech could elaborate on this subject today?

As Finland goes - the first mentioned shooting range has a Sako piece, don't know which, but I'd guess a 75. I intend on finding out. And having a go at it (and at SVD). You do seem to have some liberal gun control laws? Or has it changed recently?

Surely, forest popup target practice sounds fun (RPGs!) :-]. Good thing with the military is having all year round training grounds. I used to be a paintball instructor and with organising gigs it always was a question of local wildlife authorities good will. No matter protective periods for birds nesting and so on, if they don't want you there they will come with 100s of excuses you can't argue with.

BlubbsoR #4 Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 17468 battles
You need to hold the Glock properly with both hands in a thumb lock. From there you can fire accurately and fast.
Also try the HK P8 if you get a chance, even thoght I don't know if these are exported, this is a really fine hand gun as its damn accurate even at 25m. I had no misses out of 20 on man-target at 25m (chest area, that is where you alwys should aim. Irl forget about "counterstrike" headshots), where 10 shots were done with left and 10 with right hand.

Edited by BlubbsoR, 30 August 2012 - 01:23 PM.

LMN118 #5 Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:04 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 11685 battles
Glocks...hate them with a passion.

Centre mass shots are OK but there comes a point when you have to aim at something a little more challenging and the head shot is good for that. Hand guns are very easy to shoot even at max indoor ranges, or perhaps I just have a knack for it.

Gun wise my most fired weapon would probably be the Springfield M1911 or Colt .45 as it is probably more commonly known, despite its tendency to have stoppages. Perhaps its just the size of it being comfortable in my spade like hands.

Next up would probably be the Heckler & Koch USP chambered in .45, this is simply an awesomely powerful and accurate handgun, seeing the shockwave when you fire is spine tingling.

If you would like a really accurate, really comfortable and ergonomic handgun you can't go wrong with the FN 5-7, very little recoil, ambidextrous and sits very nice in hand.

In fact, pretty much the only handguns I don't like are Glocks (17 9mm) and Desert Eagle. The Eagles have a nasty habit of the slide letting go off the lock taking a chunk of your hand with it. SiGs are good as well, similar to the H&K.

Unfortunately in the UK all handguns are banned, all semi automatic and automatic weapons are banned with the exception of Saiga 12 type semi auto shotguns and .22 rimfires. You can try and get a guess pass at a shooting range but they are not very common in the UK and tend to be outdoor. Or you can go clay pigeon shooting which can be quite good fun.

6060842 #6 Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39863 battles
  • [HUSH-] HUSH-

View PostLMN118, on 02 September 2012 - 12:04 AM, said:

Unfortunately in the UK all handguns are banned

Aye, to the extent that the Olympic pistol team have to go abroad to practice or so I was told.

Fenomenmusic #7 Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:52 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16760 battles

View PostLMN118, on 19 September 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

Unfortunately in the UK all handguns are banned[...]
Legguns too?

Edited by Fenomenmusic, 26 October 2012 - 03:53 AM.

Also tagged with shooting, range, glock, magnum

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users