• Please log in to reply
1023 replies to this topic

Mr_Burrows #1 Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:04 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 47164 battles
  • [D-NUT] D-NUT

POPULAR

Having made it through the grind of the T-43, listening to all that said how bad the T-43 is, I made it to the T-44. Great, no more lame T-43 games! I had free exp to unlock tracks and turret, and had the D10T since way back. Complete with Vstab, rammer and GLD, and a retrained crew from my old T-34, I went to work.
Guess what? After 255 battles I am at a mere 45% win ratio, and have only killed 185 enemies. That amounts to 0.73 enemies per fight.
I got 80% hit ratio, so my aim is not that off. But the gun just does not pen.
At most I have killed 7 in a fight, but I can't tell how many fights I have been killed, not doing much damage at all.

Survival rate? 15%...

I am sorry to rain on your parade all T-44 lovers, but the truth needs to be told: The T-44 is (highly) overrated.
Now how about that terrible T-43? If I suck at playing T-44, my stats for the much worse T-43 must be abysmal? Nope. On the T-43 they are 52%, and then I did not even bother unlocking the two best engines!

The T-44 lacks two things. Armour and pen. When you fight in your T-44, you feel pretty much as vulnerable as you do in the T-28. You remember the T-28, don't you? Paper armour, everything pens. Welcome back to the same reality but now in tier 8.

This tank needs a buff, and needs it bad. It is in fact the only tank in-game that has got a better counterpart in the form of a premium tank, the Type 59. If you, or most players, were to fight 1 on 1 vs a Type, 8 out of 10 times the Type will win. Why? Because his armor bounces, while yours do not.

So if you are clawing your way up the Soviet med tree, longing for the T-44, be prepared for a bit of a surprise.

Edited by Mr_Burrows, 04 September 2012 - 02:05 PM.

Anthoniusii #2 Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23972 battles
Doesn't T-44 have LB-1 gun or i missed something?
With LB-1 gun T-44 transformes to a "serial killer".!!

Mr_Burrows #3 Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:24 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 47164 battles
  • [D-NUT] D-NUT

View PostAnthoniusii, on 04 September 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

Doesn't T-44 have LB-1 gun or i missed something?
With LB-1 gun T-44 transformes to a "serial killer".!!

Yes it does. It also has exactly the same pen and dmg as the D10T, just somewhat better precision and a bit faster reloads. Might add that I naturally have it mounted by now.

Edited by Mr_Burrows, 04 September 2012 - 02:25 PM.

Exard3k #4 Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 13786 battles
T-44 is way faster than Type and the gun is much better. Penetration can be low sometimes, but its one of my best tanks and a keeper for me.

Kehldon #5 Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:28 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 25037 battles
  • [1ST] 1ST
Im a medium player myself and the t-44 was the one best performing tank i had, once fully upgraded. 270 Battles and 61% winns.
Remember that the t-44 is not the best brawler and you should prefer ranged combat.

You have alot better agility and speed then a type, so always keep your front armor against him. His upper front armor is paper and you should not have a problem hiting him there and he cant pen yours. If you can, keep a distance.

The T-54 on the other hand, is a disapointment... I hope the T-62A is better.

LeeHarveyOslik #6 Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 19 battles
Т-44 has LB-1 as top gun and 680 hp engine. What else do you need? You have probably mistaken the medium tank for heavy. Buy yourself a SuperPershing - good front armor and zero mobility - that's what you are asking for.
Want an OP russian tank? Then gen yourself a time traveling machine and go to the closed beta on russian server - back there the T-44 was a dreaded "copter" which could knock out IS-7 singlehandedly.

LostSpider #7 Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 23712 battles
I Have the T-44 and I would say that is not overrated, it is a good tank but you need to know how to use it.

Don't try to use it a like a T-43, you need to be more sneaky and mobile with a T-44.

johncl #8 Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 52743 battles
The T44 is fine nothing to see here move along

LeeHarveyOslik #9 Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:42 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 19 battles

View PostKehldon, on 04 September 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

The T-54 on the other hand, is a disapointment... I hope the T-62A is better.
Т-62А is a way better - though it lacks hull armor, but is more agile (don't look at engine hp's. it is more mobile due to the advanced transmission. btw it can turn on a spot now) And the gun has awesome precision - penetration at a range of 100-150 m while moving at full speed is an ordinary thing.

theghostcat #10 Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

Major

• Player
  • 0 battles
Might just be an unlucky tank for you.

Played all the tier 8 meds (except the SP) and the T-44 is definitely on par.
Its faster then the T59.
Can run circles around a pershing.
Its more flexible then the Panther II

T-44 can't auto aim...and expect to pen...but then again none of them can...

Personally I have no intention of selling it (keeping the pershing as well).  Also not getting the T54...

Edited by theghostcat, 04 September 2012 - 02:46 PM.

Mr_Burrows #11 Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 47164 battles
  • [D-NUT] D-NUT

View PostPopovic123, on 04 September 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

T-44 is a very good tank (disregard my stats with it, I don`t know how the hell did the happen).
You need to learn how to flank, and make yourself useful even when not being able to pen your targets frontally.

This is exactly my point. Even someone like you, who have the same win/lossrate as me, still says that the T-44 is a good tank. How did this happen? In what way is it good? I just do not get it.
(But i did get myself the T-43 again, and had a few quick wins in it. It is so easy to play compared to the T-44 it amazes me.)

Doolio #12 Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 6448 battles
  • [DCDM] DCDM

I am sorry to rain on your parade all T-44 lovers, but the truth needs to be told: The T-44 is (highly) overrated.
This is highly subjective remark, don't you think? I mean, T-44 is the best tank I have driven, and I will say it under oath in court:) And I have driven the IS-7 and the old KV, to name a few:)
Of course, my experience is also subjective, but you know that the majority of players holds T-44 in high regard and it simply isn't some kind of customary myth or anything, believe me:) I am not saying you are a bad player, but maybe you are still in the "searching zone" considering playstyle of the tank. The tank is very fast and agile, with an okay-ish brawling gun and bad armor and one should keep that in mind all the time. Basically, don't get hit, troll enemy heavies, support your main tanks and, when battle is already developed, you can start searching for a hole in defense through which you could go for some arty hunting. Also, if you have other mediums, feel free to do a spontaneous wolfpack, this tank is simply amazing in a brawling wolfpack, especially with other T-44's or Types.
But, maybe the style of the tank doesn't suit you at all, maybe that's the case?

Mr_Burrows #13 Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 47164 battles
  • [D-NUT] D-NUT

View PostDoolio, on 05 September 2012 - 09:41 AM, said:

This is highly subjective remark, don't you think? I mean, T-44 is the best tank I have driven, and I will say it under oath in court:) And I have driven the IS-7 and the old KV, to name a few:)
Of course, my experience is also subjective, but you know that the majority of players holds T-44 in high regard and it simply isn't some kind of customary myth or anything, believe me:) I am not saying you are a bad player, but maybe you are still in the "searching zone" considering playstyle of the tank. The tank is very fast and agile, with an okay-ish brawling gun and bad armor and one should keep that in mind all the time. Basically, don't get hit, troll enemy heavies, support your main tanks and, when battle is already developed, you can start searching for a hole in defense through which you could go for some arty hunting. Also, if you have other mediums, feel free to do a spontaneous wolfpack, this tank is simply amazing in a brawling wolfpack, especially with other T-44's or Types.
But, maybe the style of the tank doesn't suit you at all, maybe that's the case?

I hear and understand your argumentation.
The thing is, though, that I do very, very well (well, reasonably well anyway) in the by so many hated T-43. Now what is it that differs those two in playstyle - where do I go wrong in the T-44?
I just cannot understand it, I am simply not such a bad player,or rather should not be, as the stats of my T-44 gives evidence to.

Doolio #14 Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 6448 battles
  • [DCDM] DCDM
To be honest, I don't know:) I mean, I can only guess:

T-44 is far more versatile than T-43, it is also more versatile than many other mediums. It is agile, fast, built for brawling, has average penetration and has bad armor. This all tells me that it CAN be very, very dangerous, but that is also very punishing if a mistake is made. And, to make things "worse", if you are inactive with it, you will not do good. So, you have to be active, and at the same time you are very vulnerable and one mistake could easily finish the game for you. So, be agressive, but don't be reckless, be active and fast, but don't rush, take risks but don't make mistakes, shoot often but avoid getting shot - there are lots of ifs and buts there:) Basically, there's a thin line between an epic performance and utter fail. And I think that's the "problem" with the T-44. T-43 is more straightforward. For example, you could say "I am not very agile or fast, I could do some supporting" and you do that and survive, get a kill and some nice xp. Or you could say "this tank is not very good with escaping from hard situations, I could bush-scout for a while", so you do that and get some nice xp. See what my point is? :) When you have T-44 in front of you, it's not that simple, you have a vehicle with fantastic potential and if you shy from using it, you won't have much success. On the other hand, if you "overdo it", you will die in the first thirty seconds:)

For instance, today I had one very good game (1500+ xp) and a very bad game (250xp or something like that). In that good game, what did I do. First, I supported the attack and when the battle developed, I simply went to troll heavies by going behind them while they peek a boo with my teammates in heavy tanks, switch flanks, shoot on the run and then with maybe 15 tanks left on the map, I assumed what part of the map is free for me to run through it and go for the enemy arty, and I assumed right:)
In the bad game, I pretty much did the same thing, with the exception that I assumed wrong:) I got into hiding/spotting place, peek-a-booed a little and then I thought that I have the chance to get close to the arty as we have killed several tanks on that flank and I thought the coast was relatively clear. So I went for it, pedal to the metal, got shot tracked by a hidden ferdi, repaired, got tracked again by another tank, got artied, crawled for two seconds and got killed by ferdi. And that was the end of my miserable existence in that battle:)

Edited by Doolio, 05 September 2012 - 11:07 AM.

Mr_Burrows #15 Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:37 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 47164 battles
  • [D-NUT] D-NUT
Thank you, I really appreciate your good replies!

The T-44 baffles me. There just is something about it that I can't come to terms with. It is fast, easy to maneuver, (apparently since all say so) packs a good gun, and... well everything. Yet I get insta-killed when trying to peek-a-boo, or trying to flank. If I stay in the rear to snipe, the gun reliably bounces on most enemy tanks and I get to watch how an entire flank falls apart and crumbles. If I then go there to help out, my relatively small gun makes no diff in the world since the enemy most likely pack 200+ of armor. Yeah, I try to circle, but usually just ends up killed by some second line TD or alike.

The T-43 on the other hand... just before writing this post I had a (yet again) great battle, this time in Himmelsdorf, assault mode. Played the med role pretty much by the book:
Climbed hill, waited at the rubble corner to spot first tank up. It was enemy arty, so he got a shot, and our team KV-3 then finished him off before I could shoot again. Scooted to the house corner to see what more was coming up. Just a lone Löwe, so I swooshed past him, and let him have it from behind. He managed to nail me once, but with support of friendly forces I dealt the final blow and he was history.
Down at enemy starting point I took out another arty. Beyond it was a T-150 that took a few potshots in my direction, so I swung 'round the block and attacked him from behind. Another friendly tank finally took him out. Then me and him finished off a Tiger, pretty much in the same way. Friendly took a beating from the front, but as I flanked the Tiger the enemy driver got carried away and started to miss his shots so he was all gone.
Got Sniper with 14 hits out of 14, and 23+ K. In the by so many hated T-43.

It feels like if I had tried the same task in the T-44, I could have failed terribly. I actually think that the T-44 tank is good, but the opponents are far worse since you meet even tier 10 tanks. The upgrade in gun/armor is negated by the much fiercer resistance that you meet. Well, that is my own theory anyway.

PRO_MEMBER #16 Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

Major

• Player
  • 20703 battles
  • [ICYA] ICYA
T-44 is a "true" medium. Armour protects you only from the lightest guns or at extreme angles. You must use your mobility to survive.

T-54 on the other hand, plays differently. It must be played more aggressively, more rushing and capturing advance positions. Then let your team soften them up and when their numbers are lower go in for 1v1 kills.

Both t-44 and t-54 are great in 1v1 situations, specially against heavies. With fast reload you can keep them tracked all the time, none have enough turret traverse to catch you (in t-44 you can even drive backwards). Only T110E5 can be a problem in this department.

Anthoniusii #17 Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23972 battles
Tiger with long 88mm gun can kill easily both T-44 and T-54!
So keep your distances.
Also a Bat Chat can kill you in 12 secs.
A patton with its best gun can kill you with two shots!

But T-44 has much better MM than T-54. So you will survive longer than having T-54.

Exocet6951 #18 Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:57 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 39940 battles
  • [BALTO] BALTO
Highly disagree.

The T-44 is fast, agile, has the armor make some smaller guns bounce if they fire at an angle, has good camo, and the LB-1 is simply brilliant. In mind mind, it's the best tier8 med/light gun. Sure, the p2's  L71 may have penetration and damage, but the LB-1 aims MUCH faster, does almost the same damage and is almost as accurate, while having  pretty damn good accuracy on the move.

It may not excel anywhere, but everything it does, it does well. If you screw up a maneuver would have succeeded with another tier8 medium, you just know that it isn't the machine that let you down, but rather the opposite.
I played, loved it, and there isn't one situation I can remember where I thought to myself "I would have done much better with another tier8 med", or even "Stupid tank, why the hell do you (*insert problem here*)".

TekumzeWolf #19 Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:59 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 8267 battles
  • [-SF-] -SF-

View PostAnthoniusii, on 06 September 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

Tiger with long 88mm gun can kill easily both T-44 and T-54!
So keep your distances.
Also a Bat Chat can kill you in 12 secs.
A patton with its best gun can kill you with two shots!

But T-44 has much better MM than T-54. So you will survive longer than having T-54.
Patton best gun has same alpha as KV-1S best gun. Does that mean a tier 6 tank can kill you in two shots?

Please do your math before posting something.

As for Tiger comment... any tank with over tier 6 can easily kill you if you let it happen.

Anthoniusii #20 Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:33 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23972 battles

View PostTekumzeWolf, on 06 September 2012 - 11:59 AM, said:

Patton best gun has same alpha as KV-1S best gun. Does that mean a tier 6 tank can kill you in two shots?

Please do your math before posting something.

As for Tiger comment... any tank with over tier 6 can easily kill you if you let it happen.

Have you survived with more than two succefull hits from Patton with your T-54?
You guys read numbers and spell terms like "alpha dammage" etc without even know what these terms meanings!
Playing the game and reading the forums you should know that "simpole" numbers are not the crusial factors of the game but the
battle/dammage algorithms WG added to the game.
If you were right a KV-1S would easily kill a Patton while Patton would perform like KV-1S.
There for there would be NO REASON of Patton's existance...
Use your logic before posting such "results".
And yes Tiger can easily kill T-54 as it can penetrate its frontal armor from a distance.
That was the direct result of improving Panther II's performance because the previus version of long 88mm gun
could NOT even scratch Type 59!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users