Lorraine, my story.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
135 replies to this topic

Matykocska #41 Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:22 AM

Private

• Player
  • 22087 battles
I'm about 30k from the batchat now, and the lorraine has been a cheeky, two-faced bastard.
I had some decent matches in it, damn good matches, even (mostly with a platoon), but most of
the time it can just make me rage so bad like no other tank could so far. Sometimes I feel like
I could harm myself or throw my laptop out of the window when playing with it.

What I think could help is maybe a bit (1-2°) more gun depression. Because the turret's so high,
aiming downwards seems impossible in many situations.

DrMonstaa #42 Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 11466 battles
Well i now have AMX 13 90 and im grinding to geet the lorraine40t.

FAQ: Omg will you buy the Lorraine? its utterly crap!
Offcourse im NOT gonna buy it. I have around 320.000 free exp which i will convert to bypass the lorraine40t and also elite batchat25t.

Simple as that. Now im gonna pay my *** off, but at least im not gonna suffer mental damage playing the lorraine.
(basically i play in an internet cafe, and i just calculated that i would pay more money for playing it and grinding batchat than i will to convert my exp)

So thats all folks. Bypass the piece of crap lorraine, or just suffer the mental damage it has to offer.

Revolvah #43 Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Private

• Player
  • 7838 battles
I quite like my Lorraine. I'm not a pro with it but I do believe it doesn't deserve the amount of hate it keeps getting.

I try to think of it not as a tank but as a weapons platform of some kind. Basically a good gun on some tracks but not being a TD.

It's good in city maps where you can use your speed to whiz down the streets and alleys to try and sneak up on an enemy, take 2 or 3 shots before they can react and with your speed, whiz back behind some cover.

Open maps are where I have a problem because of just how big it is. It's pretty much arty bait but again, I try and use hit and run tactics because this thing has 0 armor.  

In short: quick, good gun and good mobility but at the cost of being big with no armor to speak of.

daniele20 #44 Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5326 battles
  • [BRNY] BRNY

View PostRevolvah, on 07 January 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

I quite like my Lorraine. I'm not a pro with it but I do believe it doesn't deserve the amount of hate it keeps getting.

I try to think of it not as a tank but as a weapons platform of some kind. Basically a good gun on some tracks but not being a TD.

It's good in city maps where you can use your speed to whiz down the streets and alleys to try and sneak up on an enemy, take 2 or 3 shots before they can react and with your speed, whiz back behind some cover.

Open maps are where I have a problem because of just how big it is. It's pretty much arty bait but again, I try and use hit and run tactics because this thing has 0 armor.  

In short: quick, good gun and good mobility but at the cost of being big with no armor to speak of.
I agree, it's not that bad.

the_other_guy #45 Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16168 battles

View PostDrMonstaa, on 05 January 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

bla bla bla ...

So thats all folks. Bypass the piece of crap lorraine, or just suffer the mental damage it has to offer.

I have to agree with this even tho I chose to suffer the mental damage.

This is how I looked like after a few games with my Lorraine:
Posted Image

Legault #46 Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 14706 battles

View Postlecoche, on 02 January 2013 - 05:39 PM, said:

The only answer to those who praise the Lorraine is to torture them and force them to play Lorraine. No fancy thing as 5 skills, just none :Smile_trollface-3:  If they don't change their opinions, you know there is something wrong with them   :Smile-tongue:
I grinded through the lorraine at tier 9 starting with a 100% crew, only tracks/radio unlocked, vents/optics/egld. Started with BiA, so didn't have any effective skills until well over a 100 battles into the lorraine.

And guess what? It's a good tank.

View PostDrMonstaa, on 05 January 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

Mental damage isn't so bad if you're incompetent enough to fail in the lorraine.  :Smile_trollface-3:

ysk #47 Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:45 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 41935 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
This is going to be a long long grind to batchat. Lots of tanks doesn't suit me at first but after I get used to them they seems to be pretty nice. Lorraine is going to be something different. I just don't get it, what role does this tank have?

Peter_S #48 Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

Private

• Player
  • 30075 battles
Support. Stay in 2nd line and snipe. Then look for lone target  separated from pack and kill it in dogfight. Support hvy tanks and when you see damaged enemy pop up between his reload and sell him 2-3 rounds. Change position, reload and repeat.

Dont run forward unless its going to pay off  as win for your team. Cuz you going to die allmost instantly when you encounter more then 2 enemys.
Stay away from big gun TD's . They can take you out on one hit.

Its good tank

Legault #49 Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 14706 battles

View Postysk, on 10 January 2013 - 02:45 AM, said:

This is going to be a long long grind to batchat. Lots of tanks doesn't suit me at first but after I get used to them they seems to be pretty nice. Lorraine is going to be something different. I just don't get it, what role does this tank have?
1390 teaches you how to scout and slip through the enemy team with the ability to do damage... lorraine teaches you the other aspect of the batchat that seperates the idiots that rush and die from the players that know how to handle it at close range. Supporting your team and learning when you can go in and flank without relying on size to safe your sorry ass. The 1390 is small, the lorraine and batchat aren't.

runeolse #50 Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Private

• Player
  • 7913 battles
actually looking forward to the lorraine 40T - lots of potential in the right hands imo.

RegularLogic #51 Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

Warrant Officer

• Clan Diplomat
  • 38744 battles

View Postdaz606, on 16 September 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

... I've got camo and binos fitted at the moment...

So far as a tier 9: 1/10.
great choice for a med... that is meant to move around... /thread

seriously though, this tank is pretty good if you handle it correctly. Avoid tanks which you know have derp guns, KV2's and the like, avoid getting sat in arty hotspots for too long and always play with a group of other players if you're going to engage more than one target. Just don't be afraid to take on other tanks.... most of the time you'll be able to demolish them before they get 3 shots off, giving you a perfect opportunity to back off and reload the can.

What ever you do; DO NOT SKIP THIS TANK. It is worth driving, because it teaches you just how vulnerable you will be, even as a medium. Also running the batchat with the stock gun should incite tears by anyone stupid enough to drive it like that. Besides, it's a great training opportunity if you're transferring your 13-90 crew, because it's the change from light to medium, and the grind for batchat is long..

Edited by RegularLogic, 16 January 2013 - 11:02 AM.

carnivorous #52 Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 17925 battles

View PostRegularLogic, on 16 January 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

great choice for a med... that is meant to move around... /thread

seriously though, this tank is pretty good if you handle it correctly. Avoid tanks which you know have derp guns, KV2's and the like, avoid getting sat in arty hotspots for too long and always play with a group of other players if you're going to engage more than one target. Just don't be afraid to take on other tanks.... most of the time you'll be able to demolish them before they get 3 shots off, giving you a perfect opportunity to back off and reload the can.

What ever you do; DO NOT SKIP THIS TANK. It is worth driving, because it teaches you just how vulnerable you will be, even as a medium. Also running the batchat with the stock gun should incite tears by anyone stupid enough to drive it like that. Besides, it's a great training opportunity if you're transferring your 13-90 crew, because it's the change from light to medium, and the grind for batchat is long..

Exactly. Waiting enemy to spread a little, going all in, reload + fast relocation to other side of map. Good times! :Smile-playing:

Q77 #53 Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12072 battles
It feels like a "Jack of all trades, master of none" to me, it doesnt excell in anything. Staying in the 2nd line might be the way to go with it.

del500044138 #54 Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 12499 battles
  • [N-O-D] N-O-D

View PostQ77, on 27 January 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

Staying in the 2nd line might be the way to go with it.
THIS. I learnt this too late, but i managed to scrape my w/r up to 48% from 37%, and it was still going up as I hit the batchat.

The problem with the lorry is the tendency to rush to a good spot to get the initial shot off like other mediums. But when you take your first shot, you always push your luck to click a couple more times to take advantage of the drum. And the lorry doesn't forgive with its size and armour.

As a second line sniper you won't kill tanks in one clip, and you'll miss and bounce 1/2 a drum because of the acc and aim time which will annoy you. But if you can stop yourself from rushing, your survival rate drastically increases to the second half of the match. And once the second half of the match hits, THEN you rush to finish off a flank.

And the thing is, once you learn this by the end, it seems this is EXACTLY how the batchat should be played. Its acc, aim time and shell velocity drastically improve for early match sniping.

BlubbsoR #55 Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 17685 battles
Just can't bring my WR above 51% with the Lorr40t ... so annoying. For each good game there are 4 games where its just ... well lets say not enjoyable at all.
Damn paperbox...

FB_turret #56 Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 12522 battles
  • [-LA-] -LA-

View Postgalatt, on 01 October 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

Passing 760+ games with my Lorraine (out of which aprox 720 post 0.7.5) I could maintaine a w/r of 66%.
http://worldoftanks....0109510-galatt/
That sounds quite good, right? The thing is though since I bought it back I lost almost every single game with it...
Works as intended.... sure WG

Thing is you're an exception dude. ;)
With 66% WR on Lorraine and 62% on global WR, you're more than a good player so sorry to say that but we cannot take your opinion too much in account. ^^

moomoo2 #57 Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 20730 battles
I have had a horrible time in this tank (should have finished the damn grind when it was Tier 8, my fault). The problem I found was it is really hard to play correctly, arty is scary, derp cannons are scary, everything keeps you on the edge of your seat all match, being last tank against 2-3 is absolutely terrifying.
I refused to give up and now I am having to say that I respect it, teaches me to be a more mobile player, long (horrible) reload definitely invites you to switch flanks and cause serious hurt to the unwary enemies.
It doesn't work as a Tier 9 tank, never will. It just has a certain something that makes me come back time and time again (probably the Adrenalin of pure fear  :Smile_ohmy: ).
Damn you Lorrie.

BlubbsoR #58 Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 17685 battles

View PostBlubbsoR, on 01 February 2013 - 11:34 AM, said:

Just can't bring my WR above 51% with the Lorr40t ... so annoying. For each good game there are 4 games where its just ... well lets say not enjoyable at all.
Damn paperbox...

Looks like it works for me now  :Smile_glasses: The damage potential is frightening (3k dmg per game is normal), the only thing is to not let the enemy hit you  :Smile_veryhappy:

Q77 #59 Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12072 battles
When it comes to fun, this is the worst tank I have played.  Sure theres the occasional "track a td and empty your revolver in his lower plate' -snicker but most of the time you're just done as soon as you peek.  After all the fun I had in the AMX'es, my batchat grind has come to a halt.

Temptis #60 Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32501 battles

View PostQ77, on 09 March 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

When it comes to fun, this is the worst tank I have played.  Sure theres the occasional "track a td and empty your revolver in his lower plate' -snicker but most of the time you're just done as soon as you peek.  After all the fun I had in the AMX'es, my batchat grind has come to a halt.

actualy light tanks are the best practice for the Lorraine 40t, because despite it beeing a medium (with the size and camo of a heavy) the key rule is to not get seen until they die (and to vanish right after)
it is definitly one of the most challenging tanks to play out there, because you have to know the maps like your backyard (cover, flanking options, gun depression restrictions) just like you know the weakspots of enemy tanks. the rewarding thing is, it's like a sherif. 6 drum colt with the horse underneath to deliver it where and when it is needed. the longer you stay alive, the more valuable you become, as the more enemy tanks die, the more room you get to maneuver.
unfortunately most Lorraines die within the first minute of the match.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users