What draws you to World War Two?

world war two tanks

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

Beamsy #1 Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:35 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3492 battles
World War Two is the biggest fought war in history. Millions perished during 1939 - 1946. There is lots of memorable units throughout the world, 101st Airborne, Rangers, SS, big red one to name a few.

My reasoning to start this topic is to find out why YOU are interested and fascinated by world war two.
Whether it be your grand parents who fought or the units that fought in it, Give me your reason behind your fascination.

My reason.

My grand father the late Ernest Beames fought for the 7th Armored Brigade aka Desert Rats on the African front and through Italy and into Germany. He got shot in the back but survived to tell the tail. The Desert rats have logged more miles than any other unit that participated in world war two.

aasav #2 Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:44 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5241 battles
war/military has always compelled me somehow, i'm not sure why, not only ww2, ww2 is just probably most well known

Radames #3 Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:49 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4561 battles
  • [TAMS] TAMS

View PostBeamsy, on 24 September 2012 - 03:35 AM, said:

World War Two is the biggest fought war in history. Millions perished during 1939 - 1946.

You wouldn't believe, how many ppl agree on the war to have ended 1945 :Smile_trollface-3:

Anyway: It's an extremely interesting time in military history, especially in terms of tank warfare. Did your grandfather ever tell you, how british tanks were supposed to perform at the Desert Rats' first action in the war and how they were deployed near the end? Fortunately for the Brits, they adapted their tactics.
I also play Flames of War (a historical tabletop wargame), where one of my armies consists of a horde of Grants for North Africa (7th Armoured Division, Royal Scots Greys), so I guess, I'm just drawn to WWII, from a gamer's and historian point of view.

Beamsy #4 Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:54 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3492 battles
I heard very little of it. He never spoke about it which sucks because i would have loved to have had some sort of inclination as to what he did, his position and rank. I researched myself about 7th AB and its fantastic. Everything from WOT, Day of defeat bf2.  world of tanks draws me closer to the fact of how i can play, tank warfare is a different type of gameplay.

Ernest Gerald Beames
Died 2005 in blackpool, england. - age 82
which means he was just 16 when he joined in world war two?

Edited by Beamsy, 24 September 2012 - 04:11 AM.

Radames #5 Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:07 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4561 battles
  • [TAMS] TAMS
That's a shame, but still in my country most people who were soldiers during WWII didn't want to talk about it either. Still, in the history of the Desert Rats, you can see how drastically British tank warfare has changed in just 7 years. Just look at the different models that were used in the desert, Sicily, Normandy, Belgium &c. The tanks they liberated Hamburg in were no comparison to those they repelled the Italians from Egypt with.
Like I said: An extremely interesting time in terms of tank warfare and military history.

Beamsy #6 Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:22 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3492 battles
Yeah world war two for me is just one of those subjects i could literally listen, watch and talk about 24/7. Tank warfare was big back in ww2. the tactics of various units in ww2 had to adapt to terrain and conditions throughout 7 years. Forget the computer guided crap these days. ww2 is where its at regarding tanks and infantry.

Merquise #7 Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:22 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 27130 battles
WW2 draws to me because I'm basically an asshole.

All I see is the action. 'Those were better times'. I wished I lived back then, roflstomping around the countries shooting everything up. Todays life is dull in comparison.
Get out of bed 05:20h, work for some bimbo who calls herself my boss, get wad of cash, go back home play WW2 games.
If she would have been my boss in WW2 I would have shot her !

In my mind I totally ignore all the not so fun parts. I ignore the loss of entire families,houses, all posessions. I ignore all the pain and suffering. All I see is the glory and the action.
WW2 is an escape from all-day-life for me. Same reason I watch Star Trek.

Hey wait maybe I'm not an asshole then, maybe I just got a sorry life :P
To me, WW2 is an escape from my boring life by substituting it with my fantasy action.

edit: it's a sign of todays WoT community that this gets negrepped.
Either people don't read or don't understand what is written.

Edited by Merquise, 24 September 2012 - 06:10 AM.

Gremlin182 #8 Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:25 AM

General

• Player
  • 47798 battles
I have always been a History buff and long had a fascination for Aircraft civil and Military because my Father worked for AVRO and De Havilland
That lead to my reading up on the Aircraft of WW1 and 2.

Later I studied Military History I became obsessed with the battles that could have gone either way but for chance and WW2 has a lot of those.
I did try to study more recent battles but I find those wars that happened in my lifetime are a little too personal, I know people who were in the Vietnam War and more recently the Falklands and know what it did to them.
Maybe this is why Soldiers don't always like to talk about their own experiences, its easier to be dispassionate about the Napoleonic war than Desert Storm.

Beamsy, you can probably find out quite a bit about your Grandfather by going directly to his regiment, if you know it.

My own research into my Great Uncle who died in WW1 told me that his unit 1st Battalion the Kings Liverpool regiment have a book that covers the regiment on a day by day basis certainly it goes down to company level, if available you could probably plot his war on a fairly accurate and detailed level.

You should get this kind of detail.
http://www.1914-1918...iary-1kings.htm

Edited by Gremlin182, 24 September 2012 - 04:38 AM.

Beamsy #9 Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:41 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3492 battles
http://www.desertrat...k/bde/index.htm

ill research the 7th armored brigade thanks buddy. however  dont forget the detail of topic though. lol

Edited by Beamsy, 24 September 2012 - 04:47 AM.

GrauerRabe #10 Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:41 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 12716 battles
I was always a big fan of WW2 era airplanes and the battles they had to make in the skies above europe and asia. I played IL2 Sturmovik for a long long time online and offline flying Messerschmitts, Spitfires, Mustangs, Thunderbolts, Focke Wulfs and know them by heart. I'm a BF109 expert in Sturmovik. It didn't take long to get interested in the ground warfare of WWII. I played MoH for a while and one day I just downloaded World Of Tanks and now I'm hooked on this game. I have general knowledge about tanks, I'm no tankexpert in crontrary to the WW2 airplanes. World Of Warplanes is not for me, too arcade, absolutely ridiculous flight capabilities, no engine torgue, no wingdips, no turbulence, etc etc.

I have a special corner in my livingroom dedicated to WW2 with a lot of aviation stuff.

I like all the stories and battles. Especially the airwar.

Tokkers #11 Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:50 AM

Private

• Player
  • 10203 battles
History in general has always been an interesting thing to me, I believe that our history must be remembered and passed down between generations for as long as we remain on this planet and hopefully even beyond that, our history has shaped us into what we are today and will continue to shape us until we reach our ultimatum, the past contains lessons that we must always remember in order to better ourselves as a whole.
WWII by itself interests me due to the "romance" of the whole thing, brothers in arms and camaraderie, men fighting shoulder to shoulder and giving everything they have in order to protect their countries, families and ideals regardless of which side they were on, romance probably isn't the most appropriate way to describe WWII but that's just how I view both it and my interest in it

Edited by Tokkers, 24 September 2012 - 04:50 AM.

WaidmannsHeil #12 Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:51 AM

Private

• Player
  • 13467 battles
from a gamer point of view:
i like WoT couse i like tanks, and leveling.
i like ww2 shooter couse of the lack of the technical bullshit.
and there are so manny games around it.

from a nongamer point of view:
i like most of the technological advances, except the nuclear one ...

i would wish it would never ever happened - but thats impossible
so instead:
i would wish if the countries would learn about the failures happened at that time.

Gremlin182 #13 Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:57 AM

General

• Player
  • 47798 battles
1st Divisional commander of 7th Armoured was Percy, Hobart fascinating man well worth reading up on.
He was a great tank expert and molded 7th 11th and 79th Armoured
No wonder I am drawn to WW2 with such interesting people.

Steffenximus #14 Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:23 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 10917 battles
The awesomeness of the germans. Their great tanks and superb tactics and skills, how they fought and won against numerically superior armies. In their hands even the weak Pz IIIs were deadly. Even at 10v1 odds, the allies were unable to defeat the germans in tank vs tank warfare. They had to massively use the bombers = cowards.

Jigabachi #15 Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:35 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

What draws you to World War Two?
Nothing.
It was one of the darkest times in the history of mankind. Millions of people suffered and still suffer unimaginable pain.
There is nothing good about it and I hate all that glorifying. Millions of people died by command of some few people around the world.
My grandfather fought on germany's side (but not as a nazi, as what every german soldier is branded) and we almost lost everything - but not only because of the war.

Even if I hate war and all, I like all kinds of weapons and equipment - in case of weaponry ranging from swords and bows up to modern firearms and guided shells. But I try to separate it as good as possible. I don't like them because they can kill and damage, I like them as "objects" and because they're an extention of our physical skills and an example of the human imagination and brainpower. The early weapons (e.g. japanes swords) are a little more than weapons, they are a combination of manufactoring skills, spirituality, symbolism and tradition, whereas modern firearms and cannons are interesting because of the interaction of fine mechanics (*klick*) and chemistry (*boom*).
A little hard to explain in detail... but... yeah. That's the way I feel and think about it.

Juppe91 #16 Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:49 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 27492 battles
Propably the evolution in vehicles interests me the most. How different tanks were at the beginning compared to the end of the war.

klesk #17 Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:06 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 28883 battles
Well... both my grandfathers, and both my grandmothers participated in WW 2, but I'm mostly intrested in WW-2 becouse of the way that world functioned during these weird times...

WW2 was also the biggest world revolution in almost all areas (science, politics...) it changed everything.

del504082484 #18 Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:52 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22525 battles
What draws me to the second would war? from a gamer's point of view, No pin point precision firepower coming down from orbit and decimating everything with the use of satellite ect... wait a minute... :Smile_sceptic:  

View PostSteffenximus, on 24 September 2012 - 05:23 AM, said:

The awesomeness of the germans. Their great tanks and superb tactics and skills, how they fought and won against numerically superior armies. In their hands even the weak Pz IIIs were deadly. Even at 10v1 odds, the allies were unable to defeat the germans in tank vs tank warfare. They had to massively use the bombers = cowards.

= desperate to win... you will do anything to survive. War stopped being the old rank and file of red coats in open fields long ago, just as the Germans moved us along from trench warfare with their Blitzkrieg.. so how is air superiority that much different?

Alecsandru010 #19 Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:53 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 34423 battles
Easy:Prussian history, prussian steel, prussian blood. I am fascinated by this state, by germans, reichs and this things.

BlackYeti #20 Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:01 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15839 battles
I've always been the kind of tech guy, fascinated in technology and design. And the biggest leaps in technology field were made during both of the world wars, then extending to the cold war. I grew up surrounded by my dad's plastic 1:72 model collection which he let me play with despite the effect a 5yr old had on them :Smile_veryhappy: .

Also tagged with world, war, two, tanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users