Is XVM legal?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

misiek166 #1 Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:15 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Im about to install xvm mod and my question is: Is this mod legal? I heard rumors that they change eula to forbid this mod.

Hexcaliber #2 Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Yes its perfectly legal, the rumors are nonsense from butt hurt players who don't like getting called out for playing like shit; the mod simply changes the games interface and not core files or data, something 90% of mods do.

Edited by Hexcaliber, 28 September 2012 - 11:30 AM.

Ikarases #3 Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
If they should ban something, definetely ban the weak-spot mod...

XVM is legal (for now)

misiek166 #4 Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
For now :D OK thanks for info guys :)

Hexcaliber #5 Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostIkarases, on 28 September 2012 - 11:28 AM, said:

XVM is legal (for now)

Frankly hitzone skins are nothing to worry about, they don't show anything good players don't already know; nor do they work through cover or at range. I am happy to face anyone using them, it means they need a crutch to help them play.

The only mod's available that should really be banned are those that remove foliage; carrying out a test several months back in response to a post on the US forums, I modded the files that allow the game to render foliage, to see for myself what impact they would have. The difference to game play is alarming, anyone who claims they don't make the game easier to play is a liar.

XxXSpottedYouXxX #6 Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Seems so some butthurt kids posted it was illegal or something but its just aload of bollucks.

Innocuous #7 Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostHexcaliber, on 28 September 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

Frankly hitzone skins are nothing to worry about, they don't show anything good players don't already know; nor do they work through cover or at range. I am happy to face anyone using them, it means they need a crutch to help them play.

The only mod's available that should really be banned are those that remove foliage; carrying out a test several months back in response to a post on the US forums, I modded the files that allow the game to render foliage, to see for myself what impact they would have. The difference to game play is alarming, anyone who claims they don't make the game easier to play is a liar.

QFT. The foliage mod is the only one that needs a ban.

Andrenas #8 Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostDerRizerPin, on 28 September 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

Seems so some butthurt kids posted it was illegal or something but its just aload of bollucks.

Quite colorfull reply, but completely incorrect.  There is a new clause in a recent edition of EULA (the one all of you accepted after 0.8.0 update install) which can be interpreted as a ban to XVM and similar stuff. Feel free to read more and participate in discussion here. If you are too lazy to read it all - WG so far commented that "XVM at the moment is OK".

MkH #9 Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostInnocuous, on 28 September 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

QFT. The foliage mod is the only one that needs a ban.

As does the "zoom mod", although I think it's already illegal.

Gulyabani #10 Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
XVM uses a man-in-the-middle approach to pull of player data - ie, it gets in between the game and the server. Now, XVM does this for a peaceful and legal purpose however the methodology used is akin to a hack/bot. Therefore any EULA statement can be extended to instantly make XVM illegal based on that fact alone.

WG, afaik, isn't worried about the player data being reported - they already make that available through their own website. Their bigger concern was a) exploitable as a hack/bot, and more importantly, b) everybody pulling off statistics off their web server is a HUGE load on their servers. Again, afaik, XVM behaves by being very careful to keep the load on the server to a minimum, so, "for the moment, it's OK". So you see that intro into the EULA, to make sure they have the option to ban the mod for either a) or b) reasons.

PS: Just an unrelated note: XVM proxy also messes with the Windows clipboard functionality. If you try using Excel at the same time, you might find the copy/paste functionality gone haywire.

noscream #11 Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:36 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
What is the point of XVM?

To prejudge the coming battle, to give those running it instant info denied to others, how is this any different to any other mod.
The stats might be available to all but not instantly @ a live battle, XVM only helps those that use it to make tactical calls, like the zoom out mod etc....
it's all the same...

STAT MONKEYS plz reply :P

CaptainMastiff #12 Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostIkarases, on 28 September 2012 - 11:28 AM, said:

XVM is legal (for now)

Its not a mod... they're weak spot skins, they're nothing but common knowledge too and a you still have to be a good player to utilise them properly. Otherwise you're just going to hit them at silly angles and bounce all the time.

tadada #13 Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
lol, "legal".

WG is not a country issuing laws, it's a company issuing, at most, rules and polices for it's interior activity, or contracts (EULA in this case) for customers.
none of those are laws, therefore largely nothing here can be "illegal".

at most XVM brakes a rule or two, made by someone in accordance to what side of the bed he woke up that morning and to be changed just the same.

Edited by tadada, 28 September 2012 - 03:12 PM.

Ikarases #14 Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostCaptainMastiff, on 28 September 2012 - 02:56 PM, said:

Its not a mod... they're weak spot skins, they're nothing but common knowledge too and a you still have to be a good player to utilise them properly. Otherwise you're just going to hit them at silly angles and bounce all the time.

Common knowledge?

OK, you can say, where the is Commander (view port), Driver (peephole), Engine (obviously) or another things are just simply looking at the tank from outside...

But how´d you know, where my ammorack is? I mainly just try to deal some damage, if I can, aiming at the "softer" spots... Up until WG gives us by itself these data (which is very unlikely), I consider something displaying me those information as cheating :)

Kuad #15 Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
It's illegal. The Stasi, KGB and a small Doberman will be by your house shortly.

CaptainMastiff #16 Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostIkarases, on 28 September 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

Common knowledge?

OK, you can say, where the is Commander (view port), Driver (peephole), Engine (obviously) or another things are just simply looking at the tank from outside...

But how´d you know, where my ammorack is? I mainly just try to deal some damage, if I can, aiming at the "softer" spots... Up until WG gives us by itself these data (which is very unlikely), I consider something displaying me those information as cheating :)

Commander hatch is usually that big cupola on top of German tanks, same with America and the tiny little nipple on Russian tanks, French have very similar to German Cupolas.

Engine is at the front on most German tanks, at the back for most T5/6+ American and Russians and French

Ammo rack usually a portion is stored in a turret and somewhere half way down the hull.

It is not displaying information taken from the game, the only information a weakspot skin is displaying is the persons experience. I've made "Weakspot" skins for people who needed help in a previous clan, I showed them the best places to hit E-100s during clan wars especially when you could only see their turret. I didn't taken any information WG didn't want released I only told people what I found personally... You may as well ban everyone from the forum for giving anyone help and suggestions. Critical damage is still down to RNG so whether or not I have a weakspot skin (I don't) I will still be at the mercy of the same RNG system, I believe most people who dislike weakspot skins are those who think "people should learn themselves I had to" but if all knowledge in mankind was like that we'd be still smashing rocks together and dancing round fires... Most people like to help each other and weakspot skins are a way of helping those people who are playing the likes of a PzIV but keep getting thrown into Tier 8 games.

Edited by CaptainMastiff, 28 September 2012 - 03:25 PM.

XxXSpottedYouXxX #17 Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostAndrenas, on 28 September 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

Quite colorfull reply, but completely incorrect.  There is a new clause in a recent edition of EULA (the one all of you accepted after 0.8.0 update install) which can be interpreted as a ban to XVM and similar stuff. Feel free to read more and participate in discussion here. If you are too lazy to read it all - WG so far commented that "XVM at the moment is OK".

No word over here on our forums so far only the Russian forums with a badly translated text so we just need someone over here to say the truth about whats going on by the way i meant some people posted a while ago saying xvm was illegal and it would be banned i wonder if its them who got the mod banned looks like they winning here.

Ikarases #18 Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostCaptainMastiff, on 28 September 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

It is not displaying information taken from the game, the only information a weakspot skin is displaying is the persons experience. I've made "Weakspot" skins for people who needed help in a previous clan, I showed them the best places to hit E-100s during clan wars especially when you could only see their turret. I didn't taken any information WG didn't want released I only told people what I found personally... You may as well ban everyone from the forum for giving anyone help and suggestions. Critical damage is still down to RNG so whether or not I have a weakspot skin (I don't) I will still be at the mercy of the same RNG system, I believe most people who dislike weakspot skins are those who think "people should learn themselves I had to" but if all knowledge in mankind was like that we'd be still smashing rocks together and dancing round fires... Most people like to help each other and weakspot skins are a way of helping those people who are playing the likes of a PzIV but keep getting thrown into Tier 8 games.

I´m not against giving people pictures with E-100 and circling them in the Painting program telling: "In this spot is XXX." or "In this spot the armor isn´t that tough."

What keeps me troubled is showing the modules in-game... Some player tries hard to kill some tank with like 10 shots, and some random guy just fires 2 shots for 90 DMG to my tank, ammo-racking me...

I just don´t find that in the "common knowledge" section, rather in "how to ammorack Maus from the side with 3 shots"...