SU-152 - General DIscussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
253 replies to this topic

cjo1964 #81 Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:41 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Have had the SU 152 for some time now, and just got a KV too.
The 152mm gun is best IMHO as it will decimate many tanks up close.
This is a tank you have to use tactfully, using cover and trees to hit from afar and back up others.
It is not a front line tank, so if you can use it as I do, you will be much more successful with it.
You need to hit from afar due to that nasty lack of turret turn thing, and if you let anyone up close, you may as well kiss your ass goodbye.
Looking forward to upgrading to the ISU 152 if I can get the XP (which is taking forever !) and trying that one out.
Bear in mind, this isnt anyway near the toughest tank in this game but if you saw one coming at you, I bet you would wet yourself !
lol.

Warton #82 Posted 01 January 2011 - 01:34 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I have both the SU-152 & the ISU-152, and I have to say I prefer the SU-152. It is faster, and smaller, the 1944 mod 122 mm gun is a beast, can oneshotkill a lot of tanks/tds/spgs. And the ISU doesn't seem to have great armor advantage, the only thing is that it has more hp. My opinion migth change if I play more with the ISU. But this is the first time that I play lower tier vehicle while I have the superior one. When I got the SU-100 I immediately stop playing with the SU-85, and it also happened with the SU-100. But I cannot stop with the SU-152 it feels sooooooo good. :Smile-playing:

About the tactics. Sometimes you are rigth, that you should stay away from the front. But sometimes you can go with full speed against the enemy. It scares the crap out of them when they see a SU-152 running wild with 43 km/h towards them. Once I frigthened a Kingtiger & VK3601 alone, they had to retreat, but after that I just killed them. :Smile-izmena:

panzergulo #83 Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:12 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Yesterday I bought my first SU-152. After playing with SU-85 and SU-100, I wasn't expecting much. Both SU-85 and SU-100 feel like tank destroyers to me, they are fairly small, not very thickly armored, but they are also at least decently mobile and can equip very nice guns for their tiers. They feel like tank destroyers, tank hunters, they seem to support active style of gameplay, while still being really good in ambush operations as well. Looking at the stats of the SU-152, it really looks what it originally was in reality: An assault gun and self-propelled howitzer, meant for supporting infantry, taking down fortifications and bunkers, and indirect fire support. So, I bought and used the SU-152 "just for lulz", not expecting it to be any good.

And in my second battle with it I destroyed a Maus. With HE shells.

Now I am in love with the SU-152. And I only use the stock howitzer with it. It feels so good to be able to one-shoot KVs, and make every other heavy tank player's life pain. I learned I can delete half off of a tier 5 meds and TDs with splash damage only. I have killed several tier 8, 9 and 10 heavy tanks. For some odd reason, IS-3 drivers seem to be afraid of me, hiding behind rocks and wrecks while I wait my gun to reload. People use HE on my SU-152, even if it isn't actually that thickly armored, having only marginally better protection than T-34, for example. The gun mantlet seems to bounce some shells, though, I have had a ISU-152 ding on my front armor. I don't even fire that often in battles with my SU-152, the most shells I have used in one battle has been eight. Battles seem to be pretty much "hit or miss" with SU-152, if communication and cooperation works, I can greatly help my team and deal deadly support fire against our enemy, but if my team fails to work together, I have found my support fleeing, leaving me to the mercy of the enemy, being able to fire maybe once or twice before becoming destroyed. SU-152 isn't that agile, has thin armor and long reload time, so if even one medium tank gets too close, I can just toss the towel into the ring and call it a night. The best experiences I have had when I platooned with friends playing with light tanks. I suppose platooning with other TDs or heavy tanks could be even more rewarding.

Yup. It requires some time getting used to SU-152, but in the end, it seems to be one of the most entertaining vehicles to drive. Being a tier 7 vehicle, the repair costs and ammo costs are comfortably low as well. If I have the time and patience to grind through the USSR TD line again after the release, I'm definitely getting this vehicle again.

Waroch #84 Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:13 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Yes i noticed too the gun mantlet can bounce incoming shots quite well. Unfortunately that only works when people try to knock you gun out, which most of the time they don't bother to ^_^

I found the 152mm was fun to play, but not too efficient. Even with a rammer, the reload time is a real problem with this gun. One battle i had my gun damaged an loader KO, the reload time raised up to more than half a minute  :o and with an accuracy that makes any shooting over 50m a real lottery :/

After this battle, i quickly unlocked and installed the 1944 122mm. What can be said? It's day and night!
On the IS-2, the gun had two downsides : ROF and price per shell. Well, it still cost you an arm for any round you shoot, but with a ROF of 9+, the dpm becomes insane...
When it is top vehicle in a battle, the Su-152/122 can simply crush its way through ennemy lines without much problem.

Even the Su85/107 can't make you feel the tank power that way :P

DaTweekaz #85 Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:26 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles
mmm from the su100 to the stock su152 is a huge downhill.... I trained straight away 4 out of 5 crew to 100% tommorrow I will do the last one. I did 2 rounds but I was so slow. I hope I get that XP for the tracks and engine fast because i don't like it this way. Also the gun is shooting everywhere except at the enemy.... someone has some good tips?

Edit: Saw a video on youtube about a SU152 with the 122mm and I love it

Hoffmannov #86 Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:53 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
hmm i have this Su-152 now for 3 days,

what can i say,
-immobile
-inaccurate
-no armour
-it has neonlights to show your position behind bush
-slow rof
-no bouncing
-without teamwork (75% of the games) your dead
-supporting on range is treing to win a lottery
-supporting at shorter range -> your dead

have now the first 122mm gun, wel okay i can shoot a bit from further away, but deu to the neonlights its still APOS.
when i compaire it to the german JagdPanther, that one has camoflage, good rof, good penetration, and deu to those three togheter an awsome damage.
i preferr the JP above the SU-152.
russian su-85 and su-100 were good. su-152 is not.
ore perhaps i do something completely wrong, also possible. but with the JP i could take out tigers and tiger II, with su-152 thats kind of a joke.

regards

guguloi #87 Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:39 AM

Heart Smasher

• Player
  • 0 battles
After more than 200 battles with it all I can say it depends. SU-152 is like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. :D
Correctly equipped with proper gun and in a right match it is deadly. I have some great fun with it like below

http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/5417/su152medals.png

Posted Image

But in a battle like this

Posted Image

I'm dead in the water. :D

jevkovski #88 Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:40 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles
I dont know how come but the most times when I use my SU-152 I miss my target:s

Arkhell #89 Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:31 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
this thing with the ML-20 HE is awesome... first tank i'm getting now the game is live

MrCaffeLatte #90 Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:20 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I can't wait until I get rid of the crappy 152mm... ridiculous reload times and slow velocity makes it hell to play imo, combined with the mediocre damage.

It's the only aspect of the Russian tank line I hate playing...

Ravenl0rd #91 Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:51 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
I was very excited when i finally got mine yesterday.

I hate every single minute driving it. Its the worst POS i have driven in this game (release and beta) and i hate it so much, i'm considering selling it, getting a Su100 and pay to convert experience. But then i'd rather stop playing alltogether.

For all of you thinking about getting this tank:
Its like kicking yourself in the nuts repeatedly while setting fire to yourself.

Foukus #92 Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:54 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostRavenl0rd, on 19 April 2011 - 08:51 PM, said:

I was very excited when i finally got mine yesterday.

I hate every single minute driving it. Its the worst POS i have driven in this game (release and beta) and i hate it so much, i'm considering selling it, getting a Su100 and pay to convert experience. But then i'd rather stop playing alltogether.

For all of you thinking about getting this tank:
Its like kicking yourself in the nuts repeatedly while setting fire to yourself.

It gets good when you get the better 122mm and track + motor update. I hated life also without those upgrades, but now I love it. I can still 4 shots IS/T29, 2 shot KV-3 and do serious damage to anything above IS and it's agile and fast enough now.

Arkhell #93 Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:23 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostFoukus, on 19 April 2011 - 10:54 PM, said:

It gets good when you get the better 122mm and track + motor update. I hated life also without those upgrades, but now I love it. I can still 4 shots IS/T29, 2 shot KV-3 and do serious damage to anything above IS and it's agile and fast enough now.

tracks and engine are enough the ml-20 might reload slow but it does INSANE damage (got mine back yesterday) it's just a matter of knowing your palce so you don't get spotted and then just widdle down M6A2 with 40% a shot.

and if you hate this tank try driving a stock ferd it's worse n the speed and agility department its 1 tier higher it has better armor yes, but the gun is useless.
this is marganely faster and more agile has worse armor but is only tier 7 but the gun can damage every tank in game.

lilov #94 Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:21 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Tracks and engine are essential for the SU-152. They change it completely. And then the 122 makes you cry from joy ;)

Arkhell #95 Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:09 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
shoot m6A2E1 for 80% in side with ml20 makes me cry with joy more TBH :P

YardenM #96 Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:32 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
i just got the SU152 so i'm using the short barrel stock gun.

one thing i dont understand about it is how the DMG is being calculated ingame? the stats of the gun say the avg dmg for a HE round is 900.

i use HE shells with the gun(because of the low pen stats it has) and the dmg done on almost every tank is similar or worse comparing to the SU100 top gun which i'm using with AP shells(390 avg dmg).

now i understand that when u penetrate u make extra dmg, but the gap between 900 to 390 is big and yet with the SU152 stock gun you actually make less dmg?.. what's the point of the gun then?

lilov #97 Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:13 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
The amount of damage with HE depends on the armor you hit - less armor - more damage. So you must aim for the places with less armor. And HE damage is variable, yes. Sometimes you can take 50% of Tiger, sometimes 20.

BallsOFSteel #98 Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:22 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
After release  i am getting a lot of Gun damage , in one game a tiger1 destroyed my gun 5 times couldn't even shoot back at him. Anyone else noticed frequent gun damage?

Foukus #99 Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:03 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostBallsOFSteel, on 23 April 2011 - 05:22 PM, said:

After release  i am getting a lot of Gun damage , in one game a tiger1 destroyed my gun 5 times couldn't even shoot back at him. Anyone else noticed frequent gun damage?

Yes, I'm getting my gun destroyed very frequently also, sometimes even with no other damage.

dngrs #100 Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:44 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostWarton, on 06 November 2010 - 06:59 AM, said:

Me too. I don't respect that TD at all.
There are big balancing isshues with it.