Lorraine 40t: Suitable Tier9 Medium? [Poll]

Lorraine 40t; Lor balancing rebalancing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
134 replies to this topic

Poll: Lorraine 40t: Suitable Tier9 Medium? (600 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battle in order to participate this poll.

What is your opinion about the current Tier9 Medium Tank - Lorraine 40t? (8.0)

1. It's fine as it is. (101 votes [16.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.83%

2. It is in need of a serious overhaul. (211 votes [35.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.17%

3. Voted It currently is an utter failure. (288 votes [48.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.00%

Vote Hide poll

VVere #41 Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 11690 battles
  • [SKIL3] SKIL3
Rumor has it that the Lorraine40t will become a premium T8 french med and AMX 13 105 will replace it as a T9 med sometime in the future.

FoxWMB #42 Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:56 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 12275 battles
  • [BENCH] BENCH

View Postno_name_cro, on 03 November 2012 - 10:52 PM, said:

Anyway now when they moved up all french line 1 tier up all french went bad. Only ELC is fun.
1390 and bat are anything but bad. I don't actually own a bat yet, but I do have 1390 and know how good it still is. I had it when it was tier 7 too and really move to tier 8 didn't change anything for it. And Bat seems to be better than ever with the gun it got when it moved up a tier, but I can't comment on that really, didn't yet get mine, but getting close. I use 20 tanks to grind it just to avoid lora  :Smile_veryhappy:

AsyxA #43 Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 15460 battles

View PostVVere, on 04 November 2012 - 12:14 AM, said:

Rumor has it that the Lorraine40t will become a premium T8 french med and AMX 13 105 will replace it as a T9 med sometime in the future.
If it would become a Tier8 prem Tank, i guess it will loose half of it's horsepower and turret traverse then ... or something like that.
They would downgrade the gun, but can't reduce aimtime, accuracy or mag-size, so there would be no other valid solution.

Sounds like ... fun ... to play   *shivers*   :Smile_confused:

rtaylor #44 Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:33 PM

Private

• Player
  • 15557 battles
  • [PXR] PXR
At least you dont have to suffer the agony of grinding 3 separate overpriced engines to get it to a playable level anymore like you did when it was tier 8. Now its just one engine and your away.

tin53 #45 Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:34 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 35929 battles
i have to agree with everything said above that it's a situational tank, but probably every tank we have in wot is like that (few exceptions ofc). having played the type i understand what armor means in a medium, but that doesn't make lorraine a bad medium. how can you say that my 4k damage in one battle (had a few of those, and now i'm on 2k average per match in only 21 battles) didn't change the outcome of the battle or that i didn't help my team? lorraine 40t is a situational medium and i play like i play every french tank: like a coward, mostly sniping and flanking to kill. if that doesn't suite someone's playstyle it's ok, but don't call the tank rubbish.  :facepalmic:

Thomas_The_Tank_Engine #46 Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15530 battles
  • [OCUK] OCUK

View Posttin53, on 06 November 2012 - 02:34 AM, said:

i have to agree with everything said above that it's a situational tank, but probably every tank we have in wot is like that (few exceptions ofc). having played the type i understand what armor means in a medium, but that doesn't make lorraine a bad medium. how can you say that my 4k damage in one battle (had a few of those, and now i'm on 2k average per match in only 21 battles) didn't change the outcome of the battle or that i didn't help my team? lorraine 40t is a situational medium and i play like i play every french tank: like a coward, mostly sniping and flanking to kill. if that doesn't suite someone's playstyle it's ok, but don't call the tank rubbish.  :facepalmic:

I've got a love-hate relationship with the lorry. I think why so many people hate it so much is that you absolutely have to have at least 7-8 tanks on your own team that aren't complete retards. Preferably you need heavies or mediums who can go to the front line, get spotted by the enemy team, and they stay alive for a long time whilst you duck in and out, sniping, soloing damaged tanks and running away when you need to reload.

It can't really take forward positions like other mediums, and it certainly can't hold a flank on it's own when your team decides to all go the same direction.

BoroCZech #47 Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16311 battles
I have bought lorry in the discount this weekend. I managed to have some ok matches in it even in stock configuration so I earned XP for suspension and free EXPed for the gun. But now I am struggling how to play it. I almost feeling that it was better stock. Possible reasons - ammo was a lot cheaper and RoF higher so I didn't hesitated to fire speculative long range shots. Also I knew, that I am stock, so I behaved like a coward with good excuse.

Now I feel, that I should do something more - and yes, I have better matches with 2000-4000 dmg dealt, but bad matches with 0 - 700 too. This is bad, but the worst is, that I can't make any difference in the match. Still I will try to get better, probably more focusing to opened opportunity windows and supporting only. Also hoping, that better engine will make difference.

Btw.: I would love this tank as tier8 premium, even with some minor possible nerf incoming.

vmin #48 Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11117 battles
No Lorain isnt good tear 9 tank...By far. On paper it has that ONE advantage, can dish out a lot of dmg in short time but...

Those buts, iffs, and maybes ruines the tank. Its like playing slot mashine. If you'll get some good cover, if arty wont oneshot you geting there, if you catch some tank alone, if u wont miss closing on that tank, or if arty wont kill you fiering stationary while you aiming, if u wont bounce, u can kill 9 tear tank in one go....

See where i'm going with that. You can help with increase chances of some of em, some not.

Long story short, if everything goes as u plannes you can be very big asset to your team... But we all know how goes planing in randoms.

Strasbourg #49 Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4355 battles
Great when it was in tier 8 but this tank is the worst tier 9 since 7.5. What they want to do ? WG do all they can for disgut player to grind fr lines ?  :Smile_sceptic:

MikeSaintz #50 Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 25497 battles
I, the owner of a pre 7.5 Lorraine with 300+ battles, agree with most that has been said in this topic.

Here is some unequivocal proof, taken from Snib's post

Unofficial Data from 27. September 2012 to 7. November 2012
Lowest win ratio:
TANK WIN_RATIO
SU-18   46.30%
Lorraine 40 t    46.95%
M37 47.06%
M7    47.21%
AT-1 47.21%

In my opinion, the Lorraine was a good tank at T8 after all the nerfs. I used it mostly with the 90mm, which had better aim time and reload between shots. It suited my playstyle better. It wasn't a tank capable of leading an attack, ofc, but it was much better then now. The mobility was also superior.
Since 7.5 I have mostly stopped playing it. It's so uneffective. All it's bad points have been mentioned before, and it's only argument is a six shooter that misses/bounces/pens for 0dmg half the shots....

Has I remember it went from around 51% Win Rate prior to 7.5 to this absolute low of 47%. This has to mean something...

Edited by Sanctorum, 09 November 2012 - 01:48 PM.

lecoche #51 Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 33676 battles
Why god why, I have the only Tier IX that needs 5 shots to kill a T92... from behind... point blank... with the biggest gun. Well Lorraine is a French so it is kind of an habit to have defectuous tank.

tin53 #52 Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 35929 battles

View Postvmin, on 07 November 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

No Lorain isnt good tear 9 tank...By far. On paper it has that ONE advantage, can dish out a lot of dmg in short time but...

Those buts, iffs, and maybes ruines the tank. Its like playing slot mashine. If you'll get some good cover, if arty wont oneshot you geting there, if you catch some tank alone, if u wont miss closing on that tank, or if arty wont kill you fiering stationary while you aiming, if u wont bounce, u can kill 9 tear tank in one go....

See where i'm going with that. You can help with increase chances of some of em, some not.

Long story short, if everything goes as u plannes you can be very big asset to your team... But we all know how goes planing in randoms.
hm, so the problem isn't necessarily in the tank, but in random teams filled with zombies...  :Smile-tongue:
but yeah, i understand where you're going with that... i can fail miserably or have an epic match, so-so games are actually kind of rare...only once so far it happened that i've managed to pull a victory for my team, but that credit should also go to enemy noob amx 50 120 that drove in the open while i was capping. god bless coated optics! :Smile_trollface-3:
@lecoche: that's just EXTREMELY bad luck mate...and stop shooting tracks  :Smile_glasses:

Edited by tin53, 09 November 2012 - 04:00 PM.

Thomas_The_Tank_Engine #53 Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15530 battles
  • [OCUK] OCUK
Well all second-line tanks need some non-zombie team-mates to operate well.

IMO consitency is the hardest thing about learning to play the lorraine, and it's pretty important seeing as dealing damage is pretty much the only thing it can do. It can't really scout, push an attack, brawl, cap the base, defend or many of the things other mediums are good at.

It doesn't help the french light/medium line is all over the place. The AMX38 and 40 are effectively heavy tanks. After that you've got 3 "bottom of the list" fast light tanks.

It seems you can play the amx13 tanks with a "high risk/high reward" style and still often get away with it if you lose. The MM doesn't seem to expect these tanks to do a huge amount ..... so if you try something silly and it doesn't work it's not a massive loss for your team. That doesn't apply at all to the lorraine where you're often one of your teams primary damage dealers, and if you mess up..... your team now is 1 tank down, and still have to take down the E-75 or T-30 which you were matched up against.

The problem is you have no "training" for this kind of play. The french heavy line gives you good practice early on driving fragile "heavy" tanks, so most players have some experience of this playstyle before they reach the higher tiers. Imo the lorraine would be better as part of that line, as there are much more similarites in playstyle.

porshy #54 Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:53 AM

Private

• Player
  • 6823 battles
Ima lorraine user and ... pretty much all has been said...

all artys will shoot you, nobody fears you, everyone penetrates you, on the other hand, what do you have?
you have a gun that even cant solidly penetrate front of some T8 heavies..sigh..

So yes, not getting on radar is 1st priority. OK Im waiting 2nd skill to finish so I replace mentor with sixth sense. I hope that will help, but Im not sure it will turn tables...

Im often platooning and even then its not so easy as most people say.. You have to know that then are 2 lorraine in 1 team and I bet enemy team goes YEA they got 2 lorraines, I can penetrate the big fat piece of shit.
And having 2x Tier9 tanks that have to hide and stay out of radar 95% of the time.. Team gets owned if you are top tier, while you hide and wait for oppurtunity..

So team has to start good or else game becomes a big failure...

and ye, I think most important things have been said. This tank's so called strengths do rarely overshadow his weaknesses, and that is why there is more pain then fun:)

For me, 13 90 is very good tank and fun to play, i just love it..
While I do about 1k dmg on average per game with 13 90(700 games, not to mention spotting dmg), with Lorraine I only do 1250 dmg on average, which is surely not enough ...

Bottom line: Cant wait to sell this tank, it will be very happy day for me. And after I click sell, I will open a beer and celebrate:)

AsyxA #55 Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:16 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 15460 battles

View Postporshy, on 25 November 2012 - 02:53 AM, said:

Bottom line: Cant wait to sell this tank, it will be very happy day for me. And after I click sell, I will open a beer and celebrate:)
Good idea to celebrate that memorable moment, porshy!

Since my opening post I more then doubled my matches with it. Nothing changed.
I got a bit better handling it, still hate it, still think it performs horrible as Tier 9 Medium Tank.
Pretty much only played it for the daily exp bonus and some days couldn't even take that.

Recently I regularly manage to be one of the 3 Top Players in the team with it, but once you platoon with a decent amx120 you notice just how bad this tank really is.

I gladly would free-exp my way out with the remaining ~40k exp left to grind, but I will be buying my obj. 268 soon and can't spare the credits.
So it looks like I'm still in for further torture, until i can finally drink that beer ...

Takeha #56 Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 27354 battles
Worst thing in Lorraine is feeling that you don't have any influence on the battle outcome. If you play proprerly, "coward style", as second line, you'll try to help your teammates. When your team is good, enemy is dead before you do any significant damage. When your team is bad, your teammates are dead and you're dead too "before you do any significant damage"   :Smile_confused: Almost everything depends on your team. You can't go wherever you want, but you have to be a tail of lemming train. When you choose fight independently or, hold a flank by yourself, "your'dead before you do any significant damage" :Smile_confused: You're fully dependant on youre team, and how most teams in random looks like, wa all know. That's why Lorraine, at last for me, is so frustrating.

Edited by Takeha, 13 December 2012 - 01:47 PM.

djerx #57 Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 18527 battles
As a T9 medium i hate it :Smile-angry:  . When it was T8 it was great :Smile_veryhappy:  , loved it :Smile_glasses: ,ruled with it :Smile_trollface-3:  . REPLACE it or do something :Smile_amazed:  . Move it back to tier 8 medium. :Smile_Default:  and put something new to replace it as tier 9 !!! My good opinion, and i think many other players think the same .. :Smile-playing:

pixarart #58 Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 43180 battles
i had lorraine unlocked as tier9 so long and i didnt bought it because of so many said that is sucks.i bought it because my clan now needs batchats so i had to play it.

my exp so far with it is that the tank has huge pros and huge cons.cons is the huge size,no armor at all and no gun elevation-depression.depression is even bigger problem if you take into account that tank is to huge.if someone come close to you you cant shoot him at his hull,you have to go some meters back.i also had nightmares until i unlock the 100mm gun.with 170 pen at tier 9 i was a burden to my team and this was reflectet in my win ratio which was at 40%.now with 100mm gun things going better.

at the positive way now it has excelent speed,good agility and huge damage poential IF you manage to stay alive.

my biggest enemies so far is the arties .if there is an arty party you are target number one.1 shot and you are down.even a tier 5 arties can take 1000hp from you.

the other factor is that this tank has to rely on its team very much.you cant def alone,you cant be the one who will lead the attack and thats a problem for me because i used to lead attacks many times or to def a flank alone against 2-3 enemies.now i have to wait someone else to attack or get enemies attention so i can do my sneaky attacks.

games when team spread well i can do easy 2500-3500 damage.i support from safe distance and when 4-5 tanks are dead i can use my speed and the open field to flank,go to rear of the enemy and make huge damage to them.if i manage to stay alive at the end of the battle is where loraine can really shine by destroying enemies with low hp very fast.

but on the other side i have games where i do 2-3 shots and i am down.this is my mistake because i tend to go to defend places on the map where is noone from my team.after so many battles with lor i know that i cant do it but sometimes i still go and do it hoping someone else from my team will come together with me and help.

now that my crew is 100% and 1st perk is at 76% i  like this tank,its not the nightmare it was in the beginning with 170pen and 75% crew but  its not a keeper for me.if it was at tier8 i would keep it but now there in way to keep it.i had friends who play it at tier 8 and it was great,as an enemy i face it in so many battles and i had huge respect for lorraine,move it up one tier was just a bad decision from wg.

Arlendar #59 Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17575 battles
i cant say its bad.. but there are definitely better tanks out there. If you play right, SHE will reward  you.. had one very close battle in her yesterday http://mwreplays.com...y/7ZXY20F8B3M8/

PitbullTerror #60 Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 17368 battles
need 9k and then i can research the lorraine 40t, but i like the 1390 for TC etc and dont wanna lose the crew on it, but a stockcrew without six sense camo etc i dont want neither.. what would u guys do?

Also tagged with Lorraine, 40t;, Lor, balancing, rebalancing

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users