Noob question - best tank?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
58 replies to this topic

Jungle_George #1 Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 5596 battles
  • [-BBK-] -BBK-
So have just spend some cash on game gold and now thinking it was a waste of time LOL

The "elite" tanks that the game provide - are they that "elite" ........ what tanks are the best or is that a too large a question?

Cheers

IBLiTZKRiEGI #2 Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 3236 battles
  • [WOLVE] WOLVE
No tank is 'best' at everything. It depends on what you want from a tank.

Sepharus #3 Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 22062 battles
  • [HDU] HDU
After 20 battles you bought 3 premium tanks? lol?
I suggest you learn the game mechanics before even attempting to touch the T34.

T34/Dickermax arent the easiest to play tanks, they requires some knowledge of the game to play them effectively. Something you obviously dont have(no offence).
I suggest you 'grind' to tier 5 and then start to play your higher tier tanks, because you need experience to play well.

Premium tanks are supposed to be worse than Elite(fully upgraded) tanks of their own tier but better than stock tanks. The only reason why you need a premium tank would be for credits as they make a lot more credits (at least the tier 8 ones) than normal tanks or to convert free exp. Credits however dont really become a problem until you reach at least tier 7 where tanks become more expensive to run.

Dont expect premium tanks to be pay to win, they will only speed up the grind.

So id suggest you read up on the wot-wiki and play some more battles in the newbie tiers 1-5 before trying the higher tiers.

Edited by Sepharus, 06 October 2012 - 02:22 PM.

Jungle_George #4 Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 5596 battles
  • [-BBK-] -BBK-
LOL, to blow the other one up :) Seems my T34 and T25 are getting wiped out by 1 hit from other tanks - a lot to so with me just starting.... but getting annoyed now

Jungle_George #5 Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 5596 battles
  • [-BBK-] -BBK-

Thanks for the info.. alebit sarcastically lol

hdv111 #6 Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5101 battles
  • [AX] AX
You bought a T34 after 20 battles?!

Oh god, I remember the time I bought my Type after 2500 Battles...

Zalmoxis91 #7 Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 12222 battles
You don't even have a tier 2 tank and you got premiums? HAHAHAHA.

burn

Jungle_George #8 Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 5596 battles
  • [-BBK-] -BBK-
Everyone's an expert eh ;)

FIN_Warrior #9 Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 22441 battles
  • [PSOP] PSOP
You have too many premium tanks for your level - no offence.
"Elite" tank means that you have researched all of its components (modules), what means that now you can use all xp that you gather via playing to "boost" your crew to learn to do things better. Just simply put the "accelerate crew training" on, if you want to grow your crew. If you choose not to train your crew, that "useless" xp, that you cant use to research new components to your current tank, can be converted to free xp (can be used in all tanks) with gold.

Best tank? How do you play? Russian tanks are considered to be easiest and most effective tanks to handle. I belive it´s all about the player. I would suggest you to get atleast some of these tanks:
Ger: StuGIII (later Ferdi, if you dare to grind towards it), Tiger P is fun also Tiger II. Hummel for arty.
USSR: IS-heavy line and meds. TDs aint bad either. For fun tank, choose SU26. Its great one!
USA: US tanks are usually for a bit better players, though you could try the 2nd TD line (M8A1, T49, M18) or medium line (M4 Sherman, M4E8 and later pershing)
Fra: Arties are fast and mobile, even they lack massive destruction, they are still great. Mediums start to get better from AMX12t.

Jungle_George #10 Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 5596 battles
  • [-BBK-] -BBK-
  • alwasy good to hear people helpful comments for someone new to the game.....

Jungle_George #11 Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 5596 battles
  • [-BBK-] -BBK-
thanks fin warrior :)

Treborn #12 Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 14654 battles
@pilotgman: you should trust people with some experience when they are telling you that after 20 battles you dont know to much about the game to be able to play your T34 in a good way. You will only be a burden for your team. Also you will not enjoy your T34 because other people with more experience will kill you rather easily.

6060842 #13 Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 28308 battles
  • [HUSH-] HUSH-
"Best" is a difficult one to answer. Or rather, it's an easy one - ask 100 people and you'll get 100 answers!
I'd have to say that you should find out which tanks work for you.
As a personal example, I really like the T-28 with the 57mm and a lot of people don't, or would only play it with the 85mm (now removed.) I also like the VK3002DB and again, a lot of people don't.
But it's your game, no-one else's, so find out what you like and play those tanks.
And above all - have fun :)

Toxus #14 Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 3120 battles
This is just sad. Players like you are a serious detriment to the game.
Don't you understand that battles heavily rely on team co-operation? I wouldn't want to have you in my team with your T34.

MolochZ #15 Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 14466 battles
  • [CRM] CRM
Really dude you should play at least 1000 battles before you play your high tier premium tanks again. There is so much about the game you don't understand yet. Such as weakspots, arty safe locations, camo, where to go hulldown in your T34 just to name a few.

You are just easy pickings for someone in an elite IS-3 with 5-6k battles under his belt.

Some people use a mod called XVM mod that lets you see peoples stats and trust me mate if people see you have less than 1k battles, low efficiency rating and your driving a tier 8 premium then you'll get loads of abuse in most games.

I suggest trying to unlock the tier 7 american heavy tank called the T29. Make that your goal. The T29 plays very similar to the T34 and by the time you get there you will have learned how to drive both tank effectively. You can also train your T29 crew in your T34 (all explained in the wiki).

Also check out the wiki as well, and read the section on battle mechanics. Hope that helps.

http://wiki.worldoftanks.eu/Main_Page

http://wiki.worldoft...attle_Mechanics

http://wot-news.com/...p/stat/calc/en/

kukula98 #16 Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 15039 battles
u should get a higher tier vehicle before buying tier 8 premiums

MotanTurbat #17 Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 11222 battles

View Postpilotgman, on 06 October 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

Everyone's an expert eh ;)

In this case yes! Look, no offence but this game has some complexity to it and no one wants a new guy in tier 8 tank (premium or not) that does not know what he is doing!

As an advice, keep the premium tanks in the garage and play the normal one until tier 5 at least, all the nations, at tier 5/6 you will start to see the specialization for each nation.

You should get to tier 7 before using tier 8 premium tanks!

Those tanks are top tier most of the time and the team is relying on you to do your job right!

Here, check this links, it will help you learn some things about the game.

WoT Wiki: http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Main_Page

Battle Mechanics in the game: http://wiki.worldoft...attle_Mechanics

Some general tactics: http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Tactics

A very good YouTube channel to learn about the game: http://www.youtube.c...r/TheRiisingSun

General weak-spots on in game tanks: http://www.youtube.c...E1&feature=plcp

The important thing is to give a little time to learn some tricks about the game, it will help you a lot!

Have fun!

PS: The great thing about this game it that there are no god like tanks available for money! Premium tanks give you more money and experience! Those are specialized for each nations strengths but are not better than the ones available in the tech tree. No pay to win in this game!

PPS: I have 3 tier 8 tanks unlocked, but I didn't bought any of them, I want to learn to play better before I do and I'm not exactly a noob! Also I'll buy a tier 8 premium after I learn to play with normal tier 8 tanks!

Edited by MotanTurbat, 06 October 2012 - 03:26 PM.

Frenzier #18 Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 33717 battles
  • [GOP] GOP
KV-5 is thy best

Nectaria #19 Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 9371 battles

View Postpilotgman, on 06 October 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

So have just spend some cash on game gold and now thinking it was a waste of time LOL

The "elite" tanks that the game provide - are they that "elite" ........ what tanks are the best or is that a too large a question?

Cheers

32 battles, T34, T25 and DickerMax in garage.

This is exactly why people use XVM, you managed a whooping 90 damage per battle already and 22% hit ratio.

Clearly you aren't thinking with your brain, and to be honest I don't want to give any advice to "players" like this one.

DrMechano #20 Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 18173 battles
I would fully recommend, like others, to get to at least tier 5 before going into the premium route, the only time I would say ignore this is if it is a limited time sale only tank that you really want, like the Type-59 but in this case buy it and don't play it until you've got some experience.

Tanks all handle differently and I don't just mean that by mobility.

Your T34 for example has terrible hull armour and I do mean terrible, 90% of the tanks you come up against will have no trouble penning the hull whatsoever. However it does have really good Turret armour much like most American heavies. So they key to playing it is putting it in a 'hull down' position where all the enemy can hit is your turret.

The Lowe is a Sniping heavy, played at from range also in a hull down position, it is by no means a front line leader but can be if push comes to shove.

The American heavy tanks line is the 'for more experienced players' kind of tank line as others have said which is why I haven't touched them yet.

Here is a general overview of each nations heavy tanks (I do mean general, not all the tanks of that nation will play like this, you have to learn which)
Russian:
IS line: Good sloping at the front, horrible side and rear armour, nimble for heavies, good at brawling and flanking due to their speed and high damage (but horrible accuracy and reload time) guns.
KV line: Slow but more heavily armoured (with vastly better side and rear armour than the IS line), don't pack quite as big a punch as the IS line.

German:
Maus line: Focuses on good frontal armour and gets progressively slower as you work up the tree, with the right angling the Maus is a bunker, boucing even tier 10 TD guns but it is the 3rd slowest vehicle in the game (the 2nd is the T28 American TD and the 1st is the T95 American TD), has possibly the worst tier 9 heavy tank apparently.
E-100 Line: Has the iconic Tiger in it but don't let that fool you, the Tiger is a sniping heavy, not a front line leader since it is going up against post-WW2 heavy tanks in World of Tanks (and not the Shermans and T-34s it was during the war), the Tiger 2 (aka King Tiger) and the E-75 are amazingly sturdy as is the E-100 but they have the problem of frontal mounted transmissions which means they get engine fires...a lot...

American:
Already mentioned their pros and cons, crappy hull armour, amazing turret armour and depression.

French:
Even the heavies of the French tree have paper thin armour so you are not a front line tank, however thanks to the autoloaders they can put out a lot of damage in short bursts (with a massive reload time after that), much like their medium line I'd call the French heavies Blitzers (get in, unload for massive damage, get out).

General weak spots on every tank:
Side and rear armour is always worse than frontal armour.
Drivers hatch/vision slit.
Cupola on the turret (the bits that stick out ontop of the turret)
Any machine gun ports.
Lower frontal plate (two exceptions to this, the Sherman Jumbo and the Tiger P are actually incredibly heavily armoured in that area).

For first time players I'd recommend the KV line of the Russian tree, they're more forgiving of screw ups due to their thicker armour plus the KV-1 is still the best tier 5 heavy (some have better guns, some are faster but I believe the KV-1 has better armour).

So yes, get the KV-1, play it, love it, learn it, watch videos on your premium tanks, learn the ins and outs of the game, follow the links suggested above.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users