Best spot to aim for

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

Rapid_Sausage #1 Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:05 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 10529 battles
  • [PALS] PALS
So far i've only managed to understand that hitting a tank in the engine has the best damage potential, since it's mostly the area with least armor thickness, but that's about all i know.

I exclusively play artillery, and applying what i learned above doesn't always seem to give me the same results.

so i was wondering, where should i be aiming at/prioritizing for most damage?, and what are the different sections of the tank that provide certain effects when hit?

TheUltimatePro #2 Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 13914 battles
When playing artillery, you should be happy if you hit a tank at all :D

Kubelo #3 Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 13618 battles
  • [REVIV] REVIV
Damage is always the same, no matter where you aim. You might get different number because of luck, but place doesn't change a thing. The only way to change that is a critical hit to engine, which has a chance for fire or critical hit to ammo rack, which might destroy whole tank.
When you play arty try aiming at the back or sides of the tank, this gives the best penetration chance. Hitting the top of the tank also gives high penetration chance.

EDIT:
If you neg-rep me, tell me why, you cowards.

Edited by Kubelo, 08 October 2012 - 09:51 PM.

Andrew89 #4 Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 23974 battles
  • [WHY] WHY
you can also download a weakspots mod on any mod website.
You can learn where the weakspots are for like engine to set on fire or ammoracks, after you now its better to unistall, because many players think its a cheat.

MatYNWA #5 Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

Sergeant

• Clan Diplomat
  • 21120 battles
  • [RGV] RGV
Well known weak spots almost for all tanks are machine guns, driver hatch, commander cupola on turret, lower front plate. You will find out by your self where to aim.

Good thing is to look where is enemy shooting your tank, when you are penetrated, this way you can learn weak spots for specific tank (but they are all the same i think).

And as TheUltimatePro said, you are lucky if hit tank when playing arty, so aiming there is pretty much useless, but im not a great arty player, so maybe someone have different view on this.

Hanske90 #6 Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 23146 battles
  • [CUTIE] CUTIE

View PostKubelo, on 08 October 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

Damage is always the same, no matter where you aim. You might get different number because of luck, but place doesn't change a thing. The only way to change that is a critical hit to engine, which has a chance for fire or critical hit to ammo rack, which might destroy whole tank.
When you play arty try aiming at the back or sides of the tank, this gives the best penetration chance. Hitting the top of the tank also gives high penetration chance.

It's not the same. Hitting an american tank in the engine bay will dramatically increase the chance of penning. But very simply HE shells do more damage the weaker the armor it hits. Go in a training room and shoot an is4 in the back and the front turret and see the difference for yourself.

Grabarz19_PL #7 Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 10978 battles
  • [NOFUN] NOFUN
Generally, if the circle is a wide elipse (in arty mode), it's a good idea to aim right behind a tank or in front of it (not the turret) so that the dot is behind the tank. This means that the arc of fire is very straight, so you have a higher chance of hitting. If the circle is a well shaped circle, make sure you're aiming in the middle of the tank.

Aiming carefully at weakspots in arty is not possible. You need to make sure that you hit, as that is the most important. You might like to pay attention to shooting enemies in the backs or rears, as that can usually cause shell penetration and massive damage.

If you play an arty that doesn't have a turret, make sure to hold the right mouse button every time you turn your hull. This will slightly decrease the accuracy drop from turning (especially on German arties)

Edited by Grabarz19_PL, 08 October 2012 - 09:50 PM.

Kubelo #8 Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 13618 battles
  • [REVIV] REVIV

View PostHanske90, on 08 October 2012 - 09:45 PM, said:

It's not the same. Hitting an american tank in the engine bay will dramatically increase the chance of penning. But very simply HE shells do more damage the weaker the armor it hits. Go in a training room and shoot an is4 in the back and the front turret and see the difference for yourself.
I said, that hitting back and sides gives best pen chance, and penetration means higher dagmage... Man, read posts carefully...

predator25alex #9 Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 30348 battles
  • [TA-RE] TA-RE
Actuly If u hit The back of a Medium u can 1 shot it If u are 1 or 2 below it. U can Take a td 1 shot If u Take The sides top or back. U should aim more in The back becouse The angle of impact will make The Shell to land in front of The tank If u put The tank in The middle of The aim cursor. Always aim first The td arty If spoted top tier tanks mediums. Scouts If They play well must be kiled first. First help The side wich atack but If The def îts much underpowered help there

PaiNzzz #10 Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 11841 battles
  • [F_O_S] F_O_S
A good way to start discerning weak spots, before you learn and master each tank's specific weak spots would be this:
1) Places with mounted machine guns and stuff.
2) Cupolas, viewports, other "open" areas if they exist.
3) If you're not really close, the lower glacis / lower frontal plate is thinner and less sloped in most if not all of the tanks.
4) If wierdly angled and can't find an obvious weaker spot, try to hit the most vertical surface.
edit: 5) If you are close enough to shoot accurately, Turret ring.

Goes without saying that these apply when shooting from the front, sides and rear are more vulnerable.
Except these each tank has it's own strenghts and weaknesses. Good luck!

Edited by PaiNzzz, 08 October 2012 - 10:33 PM.

Maj_Havoc #11 Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 5548 battles

View PostMatYNWA, on 08 October 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

Well known weak spots almost for all tanks are machine guns,
The machine guns in this game have no hitbox, if you are trying to shoot them you are wasting your time, your post could lead others who do not know better to try and shoot the gun on top of tanks like the Type or IS 7. You would probably have been better served by pointing out that he should shoot any where equipment compromises the armour of the hull or turret; this would include hull/turret gun mounts, view ports, cuploa, hatches, exhaust ports, etc.

You might think I am being picky, but never take anything for granted with new players.

Falerion #12 Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 17126 battles

View PostKubelo, on 08 October 2012 - 09:55 PM, said:

I said, that hitting back and sides gives best pen chance, and penetration means higher dagmage... Man, read posts carefully...
so it does matter where you aim -> lower armor gives higher chance to penetrate and higher splash damage.
Basic rule of thumb to do a lot of damage is to aim French > American > Russian > Germans. And back > side > front.

MatYNWA #13 Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

Sergeant

• Clan Diplomat
  • 21120 battles
  • [RGV] RGV

View PostHexcaliber, on 08 October 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

The machine guns in this game have no hitbox, if you are trying to shoot them you are wasting your time, your post could lead others who do not know better to try and shoot the gun on top of tanks like the Type or IS 7. You would probably have been better served by pointing out that he should shoot any where equipment compromises the armour of the hull or turret; this would include hull/turret gun mounts, view ports, cuploa, hatches, exhaust ports, etc.

You might think I am being picky, but never take anything for granted with new players.

Good point there mate. I should have been more accurate with my post.

+1 from me