PlaySpan (buying wot gold) compromised. Passwords stolen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

Haiduque #21 Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
no offense,but instead of worrying so much about new unknown tank trees...u might wanna pay more attention to ur security issues...since u are working with real life money,there will always be some kind of idiotic morron to screw things up for u,me and everyone else playing this game,which is wicked,hands down,by far...

Ectar #22 Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

English Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 0 battles

View PostPatsavouris, on 09 October 2012 - 12:31 PM, said:

So if i get gold through the official get gold site i am supposed to be ok?

Yes, as you've never used Playspan's site or used an account there.

View PostReeptyle, on 09 October 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

So if you use the goldpage, to pay directly with credit card - on WoT-page, you are safe?

As above. This issue only affects players who have an account with Playspan.

View PostH3llHound, on 09 October 2012 - 05:18 PM, said:

You mean the 'Get Gold' from ingame or through the WoT portal or is the internal procedure the same in both cases? I only bought gold through the WoT site so I shouldnt worry?

If you just used our site. You never had to set up a username and password with playspan so you're unaffected. If you're unsure then i'd recommend changing your password.

View PostKebaKraba, on 09 October 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

And not a single fuck was given by WG community again. Same as not a single fuck was given when you submit ticket regarding inappropriate chat conduct... And this is rather serious (but now I dont give single fuck since there is no way of me using that PayCrap anymore), as in serious cat, issue... Payment processor got hacked. For gift shop ONLY payment processor... Way to go WG, Blizzard already on their way to acquire you

Not a what?  I replied in this thread to say we're looking into it and then I reply 20 mins later with our response.  Rage all you want at us, but the security breach is with a totally different company. We have done all the necessary checks at our end and rest assured your World of Tanks data is safe.

View PostHaiduque, on 10 October 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

no offense,but instead of worrying so much about new unknown tank trees...u might wanna pay more attention to ur security issues..

No offense taken. The security issues are not with Wargaming however. A partner payment site has been hacked. Your World of Tanks details have not been compromised.

If e-mail addresses have been copied during this hack, players may experience spam or phishing mails as a result.  As always please DO NOT click on any links in any e-mail you may be sent, no matter how legit the e-mail may seem. This is especially true for e-mails that claim your account (be it World of Tanks or Playspan) is hacked and you need to reset a password or prove your identity.
ALWAYS visit the site in question manually/directly. If you're ever unsure CONTACT SUPPORT. It's always best to be safe than sorry and support will be happy to confirm if a communication is legit or not.

zmeul #23 Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
ectart, you should know, you know .. community manager and stuff, that WoT RU has an account security layer via SMS
how does it work, simplified:
when "someone" want to change the the account password, a confirmation code is sent to you via SMS and the website requests that "someone" input that code to verify their legitimacy, and since that "someone" doesn't have access to your phone, he cannot change it

why hasn't this security layer been implemented to WoT EU?

Edited by zmeul, 10 October 2012 - 08:41 PM.

Ectar #24 Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

• WG Staff
  • 0 battles

View Postzmeul, on 10 October 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

why hasn't this security layer been implemented to EoT EU?

Good question. I'll see what I can find out tomorrow for you.

Ectar #25 Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

• WG Staff
  • 0 battles
I've checked into this and it's planned also to be released in for the EU region.  Sadly there is no release date but it's definitely coming. We'll make as many players aware of the feature as possible to encourage players to use it.

lonigus #26 Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostEctar, on 11 October 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

I've checked into this and it's planned also to be released in for the EU region.  Sadly there is no release date but it's definitely coming. We'll make as many players aware of the feature as possible to encourage players to use it.

That is a very basic and already common way of secure. Gmail has it, Facebook has it, but why not here? Blizzard went even one lvl higher with an Authentificator that generates number codes.

killermc #27 Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
what if we use paypal to pay for gold would our accounts still be compromised since the payment was listed under playspan? like when looking at previous gold payments its listed under as pay confirm playspan would our accounts be ok?

Ectar #28 Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

• WG Staff
  • 0 battles

View Postkillermc, on 11 October 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

what if we use paypal to pay for gold would our accounts still be compromised since the payment was listed under playspan? like when looking at previous gold payments its listed under as pay confirm playspan would our accounts be ok?

If you used our website your account should be fine.

The potential security risk is if you have visited Playspan's website and created an account there.   I can't tell you if you've done that or not as we don't have a record of who has Playspan accounts because they're a separate company.

If you're unsure, then simply change your password for World of Tanks as a precaution. (making sure it's not the same as you use for something else or easily guessed - Like changing from password11 to password22)

Ew_ #29 Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
So nice to see WG accepting VISA etc without troublesome untrustable middle-hands.

killermc #30 Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
k i did not make an account on playspan i used your site with paypal option and thanks for the heads up anyway glad to see you guys actually warn us i can think of few sites that don't warn people and people only found out through other people.

XxXSpottedYouXxX #31 Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Never used it but hope it gets sorted.

tadada #32 Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostEctar, on 09 October 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

we do not save payment data during the process

sorry, I have a hard time understanding this. u don't have a history of the payroll with them, with detail attached to every transaction?

Edited by tadada, 11 October 2012 - 12:56 PM.

Pernumbra #33 Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
From here;

View PostPernumbra, on 11 October 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

Not news according to EU team I guess.

Featured on NA server though.

http://worldoftanks....ecurity-breach/

"The Wargaming payment service has not been compromised in any way."

We all have such blinding faith in similar statements from WN(WG), especially in light of the ones from EU team...

PS.

0.8.0 - just check your game client version....

PS.

0.8.0 - just check your game client version....

zmeul #34 Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postlonigus, on 11 October 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

an Authentificator that generates number codes.
I have one of those for my bank account, got issued to me about 2 years ago .. in Romania
and here (and in EU) it's known how fail our financial institutions are, I was actually amazed by them

future_shock #35 Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Why doesn't WG search a more secure and stable payment affiliate? There have already been problems with Playspan, it's not the 1st time such things happen with Playspan. I don't know this company but i read IT-News and wouldn't trust that company anymore.

To be honest, i feel not very well with that what happened even if i didn't make an account at Playspan. I payed via Paypal and the payment goes to WG via Playspan anyway, so the transaction data (maybe the community manager could tell which transaction data Playspan uses?) was probably on the hacked server. Crap.

Kyril #36 Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:40 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Dear Ectar,

Only found out today that my old method of Gifting people (iDeal) is basicly broken. The gift shops only method of pay (even if I select PayPall, which is still an option!) defaults to PlaySpan, and that has been compromised and down for about a week now.

1: Could you please get someone from Wargaming EU to inform EU about this? Wargaming USA has a statement on their site (http://worldoftanks....ecurity-breach/) I just read, and WG made statements to several game media IIRC. Yet nothing can easily be found on the EU Portal / Gift Shop / News or this kinda messy Forum. It's been a week... Suddenly changing the Gift Shop to only accept payments from a compromised company whose site is 'under maintenance' could make people feel 'iffy'. People (OK..... I) dislike change of easy handling to a new method / company I never heard of.
2: Any alternatives I can give you guys my money to get my brother some Gold over? If not, when willl it be possible again? Please WarGaming, take my money!