World of Tanks: An Analogy on Gameplay and Tank Management

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

otakuben #1 Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16 battles
Lets say you are a small business owner. You own several small business, each successful in it's own right.

We will call them Business A, Business B, and Business C.

Business A costs 10,000 dollars a day to run. It's relatively small and many of businesses around it are small as well.

Business B costs 40,000 dollars a day to run. It's a big business and many of the businesses around it are the same size or smaller.

Business C costs 6,000 dollars a day to run. It's a decent sized business, bigger than A but slightly smaller than B.

In order to keep both business running you need to do various things. Make sure each one has items that fit the business well, give it the most advantage against competing businesses. However all this costs money and some things you'll need to switch out on a daily basis adding more and more money to costs of running them. So how do you make money?

Well it's a combination of things.

The first would be understanding the competition. Your competition is how you make money. If you can understand how your competition works than you can hit them where it hurts the most. The key to beating your competition is out doing them without actually killing your business in the process. You could go all out and fight them headed on to try and make money but if you spend to much time focused on a any single business you lose sight of the other competition around you who are gaining an advantage from your lack of focus. Also by understanding your competition there will be other businesses who don't compete with you who can help you in the long run figure out how to best your immediate competition.

The second would be helping your staff. A well treated, high trained staff makes your business even more successful than it already is. But obviously you can't start with a top trained staff you have to bring it up to that point. You can bring them from lower stores where they gained some experience or you can pull them off the street and personally train them yourself. Either way if your staff isn't properly trained you won't get the most out of your business and as a result will make less money.

The third is the store itself. Does it have the kind of displays and technologies which help it run efficiently? If your business spews tons of money is there a way to conserve power while still maintaining the kind of power you need to run? Are things making it more efficient for your business to sell products and make money? Make sure the store is running as optimally as possible. If a certain product isn't making the money you want then try a different product. You have to experiment. Relying on something that worked in another business will not always net you the kind of money you need from your current business.

So lets go back to the businesses. And examine them.

Business A costs 10,000 dollars to run on a daily business. Lets say it's in a new area and many of the stores around it are new and growing as well. You bring in 12,000 dollars on a daily basis getting you 2,000 dollars profit.

Business B costs 40,000 to run but only brings in 25,000 dollars landing you negative 15,000 dollars daily.

Business C however costs 6,000 to run but brings in 30,000 dollars getting you 24,000 profit daily, All in all with the three businesses you are in the green.

But is this right? If business B is constantly getting only 25,000 dollars daily should that be normal. After all there are businesses around you with similar costs who are in the green. So what are your options? You can abandon the business and run it only at peak hours to net the kind of money you need but when you can expect the most money. You can get rid of the business altogether and go back to the one's which you know you can make money on. Or you can reevaluate how you run your high end business and try to turn it into a true profit.

The goal of any business owner is to make money. If you can't make it with a business the general reaction is cut it loose or run it only when it makes money (I.E. peak hours or seasonal). However there's always a third option. A reevaluation of how the business is run. No business owner likes to be told he's running his business wrong. But the truth is, and especially for small business owners, sometimes the a business may not work like he expects it and outside help is needed to make the business run more efficiently.

There are people out there with the kind of experience that know how to run a business best and to the benefit of all.

But if you want your business to run as best as it can than remember the three things in order to keep it running well. Understand your competition, help your staff, and have the store running as optimally as possible. Customers are a by product of those three things. Customers are your reward for having those three things locked down as best as possible.

Baine #2 Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 10702 battles
Why are you talking about businesses and what kind of perverted fantasy is an analogy?

:Smile_ohmy:

otakuben #3 Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16 battles
o_o

Celandri #4 Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19696 battles
just think about them as tanks, :)

well this is how tier credit gains work.

Herman_der_German #5 Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21054 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Like don't charge for nickname changing that it something that is totally automated and has no perceivable value in the Game.  We accept paying for something in the game that adds value to the playing of the game but names are part of your customers personal identity and you want to charge for that!! WTF!

tango_delta #6 Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 11465 battles
I think the point is wg would make more money if they focused on selling premiums gold and premium tanks and dropped unnecessary services like game servers which only cause them to lose money :Smile_trollface-3:

Wh1te #7 Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14892 battles

View PostBaine, on 10 October 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

Why are you talking about businesses and what kind of perverted fantasy is an analogy?

:Smile_ohmy:

I think he tries to explain its good if you play more than a couple of tanks....
But still Mind-intercoursed :Smile_amazed:

Baine #8 Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 10702 battles
I'm not into kinky stuff but i think he meant anal orgy.

TempSGK #9 Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 9072 battles
So basically, if you suck at a tank, sell that tank? and basically if maybe you suck? learn not to suck? and Maybe its not the tank or you sucking but rather there are some peak hours that you won't suck and make profit? LOL

Edited by TempSGK, 10 October 2012 - 08:17 PM.

Murphy1up #10 Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

Lieutenant General

• Military Reserve
  • 11249 battles
  • [-QQ-] -QQ-
I'm sorry but I don't see what this has to do with discussing gameplay.  Moving to off-topic where other players may continue to discuss business models and economics.

- Ectar

Jiggawatts #11 Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2360 battles
tl;wr but lets say...

:Smile_trollface-3:

jimonwye #12 Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 25432 battles
  • [BAD-A] BAD-A
I 'm sat in my command chair in my Evil Empires Lair, ignoring my competition, making my staff work hard, playing tanks(and reading forum) and wondering if you've just posted your econimics homework for us to peer review or just eaten a strange little mushroom for breakfast!!!!!

:Smile-hiding:

tried to give Ectar +1 but it wont let me  Haha :)

Edited by jimonwye, 11 October 2012 - 11:46 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users