Panther Upgrade Path

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

Nexis234 #1 Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:55 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Quick question for the panther owners? So far on my Panther all I have upgraded is the suspension. Is it better to get the turret followed by bigger gun next, or should I go for the engines and speed.

I dont know how everyone goes with there panther in battle but i hope to hell they fix the modal damage in the next patch. When ever I get hit something always gets damaged. never had the problem with any other tank. Anyway back to the original question, speed or fire power?

mojomonkey #2 Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:31 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 11846 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
I'd suggest going for the turret + the L/71 gun first - you won't be able to move fast, but you'll then be a reasonably strong sniper which means you can sit back and snipe - you should get more kills that way in order to upgrade your engines.

DerGAUNER #3 Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:51 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 1491 battles
the gun gives you more credits and xp by dealing more dmg.

so i'd go for the turret and gun first.

btw: it can help to run a tiger as a 2nd tank with the tanker cause they share, gun and engine(s)

Nexis234 #4 Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:31 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
thanks guys, Turret and gun it will be.

Remowilliams #5 Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:05 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I did the suspension, 1st Engine, and Turret so far and it is sluggish.  With the stock engine it is very aggravating with the upgraded turret and probably will be worse with the added weight of the 88 gun.

mojomonkey #6 Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:10 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 11846 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostRemowilliams, on 11 November 2010 - 11:05 AM, said:

I did the suspension, 1st Engine, and Turret so far and it is sluggish.  With the stock engine it is very aggravating with the upgraded turret and probably will be worse with the added weight of the 88 gun.

But you build up to speed. It's difficult to play a Panther like a DB, even when fully upgraded. So better to upgrade your turret and gun and have a sluggish tank that can sit back and snipe, kill things, and that will get exp faster than having a crappy L/70 gun which can't kill much and still being sluggish.

Malexa #7 Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:25 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 26359 battles
I hate the 75mm gun, I couldn't even seem to break tracks of enemy tanks with it. I overall don't really like the panther tbh, it's too big. It's hard to drive around corners and shoot, both the front and rear end are too big. You'll get tracked before you're far enough around the corner to shoot. If you get too close to an enemy tank it's too high and the gun depression is so bad that you can't shoot their hull if they are closer than 20m.

But that's just that I guess, you shouldnt get close to enemies with it.

tokeen #8 Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:01 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postmojomonkey, on 10 November 2010 - 11:31 AM, said:

I'd suggest going for the turret + the L/71 gun first - you won't be able to move fast, but you'll then be a reasonably strong sniper which means you can sit back and snipe - you should get more kills that way in order to upgrade your engines.

Do you have to upgrade your tracks first or is the weight limit fine?

anhktepot #9 Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:51 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 6410 battles
You have to upgrade tracks before you can upgrade turret.

ZombieFlanders #10 Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:27 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
i slogged through the DB (my favorite/best tank so far BTW...great earner) and got the panther last weekend.  i knew that it would be bad at first, i prepared myself like it was the 3001h/p all over again, but out of the gate i did ok.  for every 3-5 matches that i break even or even lose ground, i have one where i gain 15-20K. thank god for premium.  my problem is this.ive read a little in this thread, and it seems that i am stuck between two major upgrade paths.when i got the tank the second engine was available already so i went for it.  then i had to do the suspension for anything else. even a camo net.  so next i went to the shmalturm and the previously researched short88.  to the point:  what would be the better upgrade? should i get the better engine (3rd one) to move this beached whale faster, or give it more bite? i generally like to snipe, then move up, snipe.

Raketensegler #11 Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:12 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 3232 battles

View PostZombieFlanders, on 09 December 2010 - 07:27 AM, said:

i slogged through the DB (my favorite/best tank so far BTW...great earner) and got the panther last weekend.  i knew that it would be bad at first, i prepared myself like it was the 3001h/p all over again, but out of the gate i did ok.  for every 3-5 matches that i break even or even lose ground, i have one where i gain 15-20K. thank god for premium.  my problem is this.ive read a little in this thread, and it seems that i am stuck between two major upgrade paths.when i got the tank the second engine was available already so i went for it.  then i had to do the suspension for anything else. even a camo net.  so next i went to the shmalturm and the previously researched short88.  to the point:  what would be the better upgrade? should i get the better engine (3rd one) to move this beached whale faster, or give it more bite? i generally like to snipe, then move up, snipe.

I went for tracks, Schmalturm, 88/l71 and then 2nd and 3rd engine. The gun makes you a sniper and finally able to damage everything in the game, even IS4 and IS7 if you aim at the lower hull. I would do so again, so I suggest, you take the gun. Play the Panther as a sniper behind the frontline and you should do quite well, but it will never be nimble like a DB even with the best engine, it is more like the 3001P at its tier, which is a fine sniper once it is fully upgraded.

If you plan to upgrade it, take the rammer, then the stabiliser and then its up to you, I took the gun laying device but maybe the ventilation would have been better overall, but I wanted the ultimate sniper configuration.

Highway_Star #12 Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:30 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 13176 battles
I went for the long 88 as soon as I could. Without it, the Panther is really underpowered. Once I had the gun, the XP started flowing in.

ZombieFlanders #13 Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:46 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
cool.  gun it is then.  kinda disappointed that it isnt as fast/maneuverable as i was expecting.  if it handles like the 3001p when maxed i could live with that.  the 3001p was a nice tank when i had it, but i sold it to buy the panther.