How often are direct adaptations of other works worse than their source?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

Poll: How often are direct adaptations of other works worse than their source? (6 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

How often are direct adaptations of other works worse than their source?

1. Always. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Almost always. (4 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

3. Usually. (2 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. Sometimes. (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Usually not. (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Rarely. (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Never. (0 votes [0.00%])

What is your reaction to a poorly made adaptaion of a franchise you care about?

1. It makes me really angry. (3 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. It makes me angry. (1 vote [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. It annoys me. (2 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. I doesn't particularly affect me. (0 votes [0.00%])

5. It hasn't happened to me so far. (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Hide poll

Trilandian #1 Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:13 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 5938 battles
  • [DBDH] DBDH
I just wanted to know what people think about this issue.

I've never let adaptations really bother me before, as I simply chose to ignore them, but with the extremely rapid rise of the television shows The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones in popularity lately, it has come to annoy me with increased frequency and intensity.

Case in point:

The Walking Dead - A grotesque abomination, who defiles and insults its source material, the "The Walking Dead" graphic novel series, easily one of the very best comic book series I've ever read (and I've read about 4,500 comic books), by sharing its name and using its characters.

Game of Thrones - An underfunded, though admirable, attempt to adapt one of the greatest literary works of fantasy ever written, which dares add scenes that did not exist in the original work, and completely derails itself in the middle of the second season, by adding whole new plot lines (at which point I stopped watching it).

Years ago, I was greatly disappointed by the first Harry Potter movie, which was, in my eyse, marekdly inferior to the book, but the popularity of it, and of the subsequent films, didn't anger me nearly as much, because I didn't care about that franchise to the same extent, but these recent adaptations really vex me.

I must say, though, that, in my opinion, the Avengers film, and its prequels, are the best adaptations I've seen to date, and possibly even improve on their origin.

Well, that's my rant done. What do you think?

Warheart1992 #2 Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:22 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13901 battles
People like watching pictures so that brain doesnt need to function .... Of course companies are aware of this , so they offer those nice pictures that look amazing , but are of no meaning .

P.S When I was younger , the Harry Potter movies looked so stupid that I stopped going to see em , tho I loved the books ...

P.S nr 2 : Well , Avengers was surely better than I expected , but it could be an even better adaptation really .... At least most of the characters managed to impersonate the heroes pretty good

Edited by Warheart1992, 15 October 2012 - 11:24 PM.

Trilandian #3 Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 5938 battles
  • [DBDH] DBDH

View PostWarheart1992, on 15 October 2012 - 11:22 PM, said:

People like watching pictures so that brain doesnt need to function .... Of course companies are aware of this , so they offer those nice pictures that look amazing , but are of no meaning .

P.S When I was younger , the Harry Potter movies looked so stupid that I stopped going to see em , tho I loved the books ...

Mhm, indeed.

The really painful thing is that the Walking Dead comics already had pictures, so all the show's producers had to do was to get people to re-enact the scenes in the comics, which wasn't even close to what they did.

If you want to see a comic-to-film story adaptation done right, take a look at the Watchmen film. They did make some cuts and changes, but they weren't that significant (at least as far as the apparent unfolding of events was concerned).

Warheart1992 #4 Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:34 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13901 battles

View PostTrilandian, on 15 October 2012 - 11:25 PM, said:

Mhm, indeed.

The really painful thing is that the Walking Dead comics already had pictures, so all the show's producers had to do was to get people to re-enact the scenes in the comics, which wasn't even close to what they did.

If you want to see a comic-to-film story adaptation done right, take a look at the Watchmen film. They did make some cuts and changes, but they weren't that significant (at least as far as the apparent unfolding of events was concerned).

Agreed , only difference with the comics was that supposedly dead alien monsters phased in the big cities (yololol)  , while in the movie it was of a more "normal " event

Trilandian #5 Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:51 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 5938 battles
  • [DBDH] DBDH

View PostWarheart1992, on 15 October 2012 - 11:34 PM, said:

Agreed , only difference with the comics was that supposedly dead alien monsters phased in the big cities (yololol)  , while in the movie it was of a more "normal " event

Yeah, I kinda got the feeling they dumbed it down for the "movie-going audience".

Scharthak #6 Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:52 PM

Staff Sergeant

• WGL PRO Player
  • 14974 battles
  • [OM] OM
Well, there is more than enough crap out there.

But, to be honest, i don´t see GoT as one of them. It is actually pretty good and very close to the books. Part of the reason might be the rather good crew working on it ... and the author being part of it. He has to grant/deny all changes and even writes one episode per season himself. So that doesn´t really destroy the storyline, but in worst case only the personal view on it :)

E.g. the homosexual part, where there was an outrage among fans for inventing new stuff and changing characters. Mr MArtins comment on that was that he might have not been clear enough in his novel if his fans are that surprised. But then he likes to just adumbrate things instead of pointing them out directly to keep his readers immersed and his storyline open for more personal views.

Trilandian #7 Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 5938 battles
  • [DBDH] DBDH

View PostScharthak, on 15 October 2012 - 11:52 PM, said:

Well, there is more than enough crap out there.

But, to be honest, i don´t see GoT as one of them. It is actually pretty good and very close to the books. Part of the reason might be the rather good crew working on it ... and the author being part of it. He has to grant/deny all changes and even writes one episode per season himself. So that doesn´t really destroy the storyline, but in worst case only the personal view on it :)

E.g. the homosexual part, where there was an outrage among fans for inventing new stuff and changing characters. Mr MArtins comment on that was that he might have not been clear enough in his novel if his fans are that surprised. But then he likes to just adumbrate things instead of pointing them out directly to keep his readers immersed and his storyline open for more personal views.

I actually didn't recall the gay stuff from the books, but it seemed like something that could have plausibly been there. What did jump out at me right away was the dragon abduction, and everything that followed.

Rage_Oddball #8 Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:45 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 30890 battles

View PostTrilandian, on 15 October 2012 - 11:13 PM, said:

I just wanted to know what people think about this issue.

I've never let adaptations really bother me before, as I simply chose to ignore them, but with the extremely rapid rise of the television shows The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones in popularity lately, it has come to annoy me with increased frequency and intensity.

Case in point:

The Walking Dead - A grotesque abomination, who defiles and insults its source material, the "The Walking Dead" graphic novel series, easily one of the very best comic book series I've ever read (and I've read about 4,500 comic books), by sharing its name and using its characters.

Game of Thrones - An underfunded, though admirable, attempt to adapt one of the greatest literary works of fantasy ever written, which dares add scenes that did not exist in the original work, and completely derails itself in the middle of the second season, by adding whole new plot lines (at which point I stopped watching it).

Years ago, I was greatly disappointed by the first Harry Potter movie, which was, in my eyse, marekdly inferior to the book, but the popularity of it, and of the subsequent films, didn't anger me nearly as much, because I didn't care about that franchise to the same extent, but these recent adaptations really vex me.

I must say, though, that, in my opinion, the Avengers film, and its prequels, are the best adaptations I've seen to date, and possibly even improve on their origin.

Well, that's my rant done. What do you think?

didn't read The Walking Dead novel, like the show.

didn't read Game of Thrones, like the show

didn't read Harry Potter, have no intention to read or watch the movie

cheers mate

Trilandian #9 Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:21 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 5938 battles
  • [DBDH] DBDH
Whoops, had a glitch with the poll.

Please vote again.

Shegzor #10 Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23555 battles
  • [TEC] TEC
Don't even get me started on Hitman, Max Payne and, worst of all, LOTR. Peter Jackson ruined my favourite book.

PS: I've also read somewhere that one of the big companies (Universial? I honestly don't remember) bought rights to Mass Effect and The Wheel of Time. More cool stuff about to be ruined. Yay.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users