A10 Cruiser Mk. II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

fascia #1 Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 13005 battles
Surprised there is no thread to this yet. What do you guys think about it, a tier III light tank that can mount a Howitzer? Sounds like a good candidate for low tier twinking to me. :Smile-playing:

Yeah its slow as a snail and dies real quick, but it has a gun that does 370 damage on average, so you'll be pretty much troll-shotting everyone you meet. :Smile_trollface-3:

Kyphe #2 Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 16253 battles
OMG!!!!!

this tanks name should just be BOOOOOM!

its funny as hell

my last game, three shots three kills first two shots were wipeouts from 100% M4 stewart, BOOM! then T15 BOOM! last guy in a T57 arty had say 70% hp left so BOOM! him too

I think the fun comes from no one knowing to fear you right now, you sit looking at them and they plink away at your hp while you wait and wait and wait for the aim circle to get to the point you think you will hit, then you fire and you see this shell move so slow it could be an RPG from a FPS then the shell hits and the tank in front of you disappears.

I can see that people who have played this tank however will not have a hard time beating it, just keep moving and chances of him hitting you at anything other than point blank range are very slim, both due to the terrible aim and the slow shell which forces you to lead the target by a huge amount.

and you are pretty slow so its not like you can run up behind them and derp

It was fun but i still think the A13 is the better T3 brit tank

ilhilh #3 Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 27232 battles
  • [FIFO] FIFO
Yea it is a lot of fun!  The shell speed is insanely slow, the aim time is also pathetic and that means hitting anything moving is a waste of time - but 1 shotting tanks is always entertaining :D

It does best in open maps if you can sit back and let others do the spotting.

Czappu #4 Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 23930 battles
Its mortar on light tanks chassis :P You dont have to leave cover to shoot if youre aiming at long range targets - remember that ;)
Dont use sniper mode for long range shooting / aiming (when youre in cover), just the second perpsective mode on.
Its useless without the mortar, and totally unique with it :)

Use Cover as much as possible, and try to hit standing targets or moving frontally.
Avoid shooting fast closing light tanks.

With 80% crew you will be able to fire each 94mm shell after little less then 14s.
Use that time to get to cover or escape enemies firing circle.
Few tiers 4 will require 2 or 3 shots of this funny mortar gun, but it can also 1 shoot them.
All tier 5 heavies will be still damaged frontally so don't be afraid to shoot them.

Edited by Czappu, 02 November 2012 - 02:06 AM.

Tyrgrim #5 Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 10951 battles
Its okey if you hae the funds to get gold ammo, other than that the tank is painfully slow. 12-15 sec to reload is suicide vs any T5 player with a brain. I preform alot better with the stock gun hmmmm.

Landsverk #6 Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:09 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 33781 battles
been trying the 3.7 inch howitzer on this little tank... however, is it really normal for it to take around 3-4 seconds sometimes before the aiming circle even starts to shrink, thats a total aiming time of over 7 seconds!!! (yes, i timed it, and a few times it seem to take over 10 seconds.. just to aim!)

its not always this happens, so i guess its not just poor crew in a bad tank... maybe lag? and no.. wont hit within 100m give or take from a target unless i wait it out... makes it more than impossible hit anything at all :/

i killed one tank once with it, only time i hit anything actually.. but it wasnt even the tank i aimed at... wasnt even near it lol

PLUT0NIUM_235 #7 Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:19 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9771 battles
  • [OCUK] OCUK
just had it out before, four kills all one shots, its the derp-inator!

Shegzor #8 Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23555 battles
  • [TEC] TEC
The first game I played with the 3.7 inch,  I was toptier on malinovka, matched against another A10 on the enemy side. Started at the south spawn, slowly moved towards the city and entered the woods behind enemy lines. By this point, it was like 5v6 or something.
So I start moving towards the houses at north spawn, and I spot the enemy A10 and Vickers Mk. III, who didn't seem to react to me. I take my time to aim (the A10 was behind the Vickers so I couldn't really aim at him)... I shoot... BOOM! The Vickers explodes, and the enemy A10 say in chat: "HOLY SH**T!" and hides behind a building.
After that, we start peek-a-booing. Took 3-4 minutes before the enemy A10 finally died by my allies.

It just took forever for us to reload, and we didn't dare take the time to aim, we were that scared of being oneshot by each other ^^

Tigger3 #9 Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13572 battles
Never liked the 3.7" on the test server but having fun with it now, nearly always 1 shotting and even a near miss has had kills.

TrackLord #10 Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 36289 battles
This is my favourite of the new British tanks I've tried so far and I use the Howitzer with it. Its like a heat seeking missile launcher, very accurate, even with a 50% something crew. Watching the tracer in sniper mode is amazing, You fire a shell (missile, lol) and watch it slowly arc towards the target with unerring accuraccy then boom, 9 out of 10 tanks are 1 shotted. Crew at 84% and gunlaying drive, vent and binos, i'll play this one for a while i think. Reminds me of the T82, slower but with a turret.

Crux_T34 #11 Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 8602 battles
  • [NYA] NYA
It's my marder II replacement.

Cheap, more or less one shots tier 4 and below, wounds tier 5s.

This is a keeper.

Could do with a slight speed buff.

Q77 #12 Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12072 battles
This tank is fun as hell with the howie, I dont think its that slow at all really, but maybe thats because I am grinding the Russian TD line at the same time (now thats slow).

At first I was derping gold as someone told me it was still cost effective, but after a few games I tried the normal ammo and realized it does just as well without gold shells.
As for the slow reload, I dont think it's all that slow but truth be told, I'm mostly used to the high tier guns wich are obviously a lot slower than the lower tiers.

It's a brawler and works like a charm if you manage to face one opponent at the time (because of that reload). I also noticed I'm mostly the top tank in the battle so as for receiving damage it can still take a punch too.

I think I will max this one out, just for fun.

Wolfesblut #13 Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 17283 battles
  • [READ] READ
I'm a shocked to see that people actually like a slow paper tank!

I hated it with the PomPom, it's slower and about as sluggish as a T34 (yes, the american T8 Hvy), with the armor of a MarderII. The PomPom happily bounces off anything that looks like a T4+ tank and isn't suited to sniping.
I heard good things about the Howitzer, however that aiming time is killing me, compared to that 3.7inch watering can, the 152mm M-10 is a bona fide railgun, in terms of accuracy, accuracy on the move, aiming time and damage.
To get the best out of it, you have to flank, but that's hard in a environment where everyone is either 20km/h faster or can dispatch you in one(Derp guns) or two hits (any T4+).

I skipped it with FreeXP finally and the Valentine is sure worth it :)

Steffenkbh #14 Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38751 battles
This brilliand litle diamond is so wonderfull and overpowered that it is unbelivable.

Now back to reality !!
The loadtime and aimtime is killing this tank for me, aspecialy aimtime is bad, forcing you to expose you paper-self for what feals like ever, just to get a resonable shot.
Not to forget the shells have flight time like a snail, giving your enemy time to dodge shots even at meduim ranges

There are much better/morefun tier 3 tanks out there.

Czappu #15 Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 23930 battles

View PostSteffenkbh, on 08 November 2012 - 12:37 AM, said:

The loadtime and aimtime is killing this tank for me, aspecialy aimtime is bad, forcing you to expose you paper-self for what feals like ever, just to get a resonable shot.

There are much better/morefun tier 3 tanks out there.
Use terrain when possible to avoid exposing. Dont shoot targets which are not in your straight line of sight using sniper mode.
For me it feels like:
- russian light tank armour
- russian medium profile
- speed of russian heavy
- su26 turret with hetzers derp gun having the ability to shoot targets reachable only for arty.

Find another tier 3 tank / TD being able to do quick peekaboo and deal around 250 - 300 maximum dmg to unarmoured sides of tier 5 / 6 tanks

Think about the average dmg per match with A10 94mm howitzer and compare it to most of other players in tier 3 vehicles.

Aimtime gets better if you have 90% crew with vents / egld.
All in all its a keeper only for experienced players. Without the mortar its just worse then Cruiser mark 1.

Edited by Czappu, 08 November 2012 - 03:26 PM.

Ravenblade86 #16 Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5817 battles
It really does sound like the 3.7 howitzer is the key to the A10, but I just can't get on with the 3.7! :s On top of that, the thing is so slow compared to the A13's which I loved, but still has the paper thin armour. Already ended up selling the thing and decided not to bother heading towards the British heavy line (not sure why I wanted to in the first place, it was just a spire off the moment type decision lastnight).

Having fought against a decent number of A10's though over the last week, I can say they are definitely a dangerous little beast to come across. Definitely don't sit still if you run into one of them!

Panzergranate_ #17 Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8840 battles
  • [2RTR] 2RTR
First off the 3.7 Inch gun is actually a breech loaded mortar, as in the muzzle velocity is so low that the target can see the shell approaching in flight.

Most of the ammunition carried in real life was smoke with around a 1/3rd of the ammo racks filled with impact detonated fragmentation HE which was known to have only cause minor irritation German and Italian tanks.

In real life the A-10 suffered from a notoriously nasty habit of shedding its bogie wheel tyres and subsquently its tracks. This was the main cause of A-10 tanks being put out of action both in France and Greece. Note that all pictures of A-10 tanks in the field have them carrying spare bogie tyres!!

There is actually a picture of German troops inspecting an abandoned A-10 in Greece that has broken down with this fault.

Despite easily out gunning the 37mm. and short 50mm. armed Panzer 3 tanks, loosing bogie tyres and tracks in battle sealed the fate of many A-10 tanks.

In all it was Britain's worst tank to see service during WW2.

Hopefully WoT will eventually bring historical suspension failures and more historically authentic AFV steering handicaps / advantages with distant future patches.

Edited by Panzergranate_, 08 November 2012 - 09:08 PM.

scunner #18 Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:09 AM

Private

• Player
  • 12326 battles
Why not go the whole hog and have a fuel gauge? Feel the thrill of driving a German Heavy until its tank is dry halfway through the match! Enjoy the smack of enemy shells on your immobile bulk.

WoT would lose players if you could be tracked/immobile due to the tank having historically accurate engineering faults. Other players wrecking their vehicles through bad playing falling off a cliff or into deep water is LOL funny and a welcome improvement. Conking out due to metal fatigue would appeal to few.

I just love that Howitzer. One-shotting from great distance is most satisfying. I have even managed to take out a few while they were on the move. It is a crazy gun. The lazy arc of the shell does make you wonder sometimes but I've found it very accurate. I play it mostly like a TD, hanging back in cover until my team light some up then shoot like an arty - reminds me of my Grille when enemy close.

Play intelligently and this is a keeper.

Edited by scunner, 09 November 2012 - 12:38 PM.

Czappu #19 Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:21 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 23930 battles

View Postscunner, on 09 November 2012 - 02:09 AM, said:

Play intelligently and this is a keeper.
Thats right! :)
Comparing this mortar A10 to A13 is not fair couse its completly different tank.
A13's can be 2 shotted by it. Sometimes even 1 shotted to sides / top of tank / rear.

MAX single shot DMG with 94mm was OMG 424Hp to the Panzer 4's "top of the back".

When you reach matilda you will feel real pain... A10 with 94mm is better (most of the time) then any up to tier 5 British meds.
Valentine which is unlockable after A10 is however nice tank to play and can be a keeper as well :)

separatist3223 #20 Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2265 battles
i know i quite like this tank aswell especially with the upgraded gun but aiming and reload speed is slow :Smile_sad:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users