KV1 tactics and tips?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

R0ni #1 Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Hello there. I finally - after some 1000 battles without - decided to try soviet tree and... after finding it surprisingly easy, ended up with Kv1 in my hands. KV2 also researched, but not enough money for it yet.

I love performance of KV1. It is killer and sometimes I can pretty much laugh at shots fired at me. Feels little easy compared to my earlier games, but oh well, fun is fun :D

While I am satisfied with my performance already, I am asking from KV1 veterans some tips and tactics you like to use. How you use your KV1? Do you have any rules you follow?

I tend to use howerizer instead of the latest gun available. I just.. somehow do more kills with it, and it is also great at one shot killing lower tier tanks. Crew is now at 99% - so question what perks should I train also jumps up.

So, KV1 veterans. Share your tips with this new greenhorn, pwease?

Jager_dunkel #2 Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
Get repair first, that's a must for each russian heavy. Never forget to angle yourself. Derp guns are not versatile enough imo, even on old pre-nerf KV i was running with sniper gun...worked like a charm - more shots, better accuracy, longer effective distance = versality. That's what u need on random. If you plan to make kv1 your main moneymaker (its still good one) dont forget to pick up vent and rammer.

anemicflame #3 Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Well basic thing angle your armor KV series tank gain lot from it because their "magic" tracks covers the side armor and they have good armor to start with. From gun cant say much because greatly prefer 57mm pew pew gun in kv-1. Also don't be afraid of getting shot at when your top tier, properly positioned kv-1 will shrug off lot of shots. When bottom tier try look for how your team positions and look where you could be most helpful.

Also for crew skills: Repair is allways good choice.

Little offtopic where your nickname comes from? :Smile-tongue:

Edited by anemicflame, 21 October 2012 - 09:38 PM.

Mezmaryse #4 Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
i used to do ok in it having mounted the top gun, for some reason i decided to swap it for the ZiS which has a much smaller caliber but good pen and amazing rate of fire. you should try it for yourself - ok its pretty much useless when you get paired up against tier 7's but it reaps through any tier 5 and below. my playstyle is pretty much beeing the bully, i pair up with another heavy or go with the pack and just punch a hole into the enemies line no matter how much there are and rely on the armor which is bouncing alot. you should know the other tanks weakspots, theres nothing  at tier5 to fear, i remember one match where i trashed 2x kv1's 1x T14 and 2x BDR1GB's with minimal help, for perks... well either go with repair skill for all to make it a bully that wont go down easy or do as i did and go with every perk or skill that makes it more mobile. i improved its suspension, the cyclone filter and improved vents. thats pretty much all i can say

Tadzhiks #5 Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
KV1 tactics and tips? Well if ur top tier press R 3 times and destroy everything in your path xd

Wazige #6 Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostTadzhiks, on 21 October 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

KV1 tactics and tips? Well if ur top tier press R 3 times and destroy everything in your path xd

That is correct, the number i times i just drove into some tier4 mediums and shot them all to pieces was so funny.

Mackeh #7 Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostR0ni, on 21 October 2012 - 09:23 PM, said:

Hello there. I finally - after some 1000 battles without - decided to try soviet tree and... after finding it surprisingly easy, ended up with Kv1 in my hands. KV2 also researched, but not enough money for it yet.

I love performance of KV1. It is killer and sometimes I can pretty much laugh at shots fired at me. Feels little easy compared to my earlier games, but oh well, fun is fun :D

While I am satisfied with my performance already, I am asking from KV1 veterans some tips and tactics you like to use. How you use your KV1? Do you have any rules you follow?

I tend to use howerizer instead of the latest gun available. I just.. somehow do more kills with it, and it is also great at one shot killing lower tier tanks. Crew is now at 99% - so question what perks should I train also jumps up.

So, KV1 veterans. Share your tips with this new greenhorn, pwease?

1.  Turn up
2.  Fire
3.  LOL

That should get you top of the leaderboard.

M4R4Z #8 Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:09 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
I am a new KV-1 driver as well. Still I am not very efficient in this tank but I just hve 20 battles so I am getting accustomed to its play style. But already got my epic moments in this great tank (e.g. 1st class mastery badge in my very first battle, ace in a tier VI battle).

Surely I can say that the KV-1 is not invulnarable so cannot be played recklessly even in a tier V match. Enemy KV-1s and TDs are still a menace.

Some advice would be welcome about crew, equipment and consumables.

I have decided to invest some gold for a 100% crew, and at the moment I am training the commander in recon, the driver in smooth riding (to be able to fire when moving) and others in repair. But, reading forums, it seems that training them all in repair as first skill would be better, is this really needed?

As consumables I have medikit, small repair kit and manual extinguisher.

I thought of retraining one of crewmen in firefight (by paying credits, not gold), so take the removed speed governor as a consumable instead of the fire extinguisher. Do you think this is a good move? I hope that the removed speed governor can help improving a bit my mobility when in trouble.

As modules I have vents and rammer. As third module, I am uncertain between Enhanced GLD and Spall Liner. Which one is the best choice in your opinion?

Thanks
Maraz

Skee #9 Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
KV-1 tactic:

Hey diddle diddle, straight down the middle.

Bombastikus #10 Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostSkee, on 25 October 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

KV-1 tactic:

Hey diddle diddle, straight down the middle.

Pretty much that. Had KV-1, only sold it because I don't like the slow gameplay but this tank is easymode.

Today on my Stug I had 8 penetrating hits on a KV-1. Only 2 did damage. One critical. NO detracks. NO idea what happend to the rest. NO idea WHERE the KV-1 is supposed to have spaced armor since that would be the only other explanation.

KV-1=Master of magically eating bullets!

R0ni #11 Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Well, now after playing a while with KV1, I have to agree. Almost all of my steel wall medals have come with this tank. I thank you for advises and continue refine my tactics and skills with this tank. I have found the howerizer most suiting weapon for my style. It is slow to reload, but can one shot many lower tier tanks and do just fine enough damage to higher ones.

( o.O)/ Danke!

uncle_dolan #12 Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles
Hi, i just bought KV-1 and have serious problems with damaging other tanks, the problem is that i almost allways do 0 DMG. I hear penetration but no damage at all. What should i do? Buy other gun? What is the best gun for this tank? Problem is that i cant even make damage to anyone but everyone is killing me with 1-3 shots, something is wrong.

Edited by uncle_dolan, 01 November 2012 - 12:24 AM.

MartinNL #13 Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:00 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Since 8.1 something has changed with the KV1, just no idea what. Yesterday I was playing in my D.max (169 pen, 300dmg gun!) and hit a KV1 3 times. "ENEMY IS HIT!", 0% damage, huh? "THAT ONE DIDN'T GO THROUGH", wtf? Same story today but only in my Cromwell, 145pen and 135dmg. All my shots hit their mark but no damage at all? Just bad luck or Russia magicu?

Rico4uk #14 Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
You dont need any special tactics to be a killing machine in this tank. If you're top of tier its very easy to get good results, even with tier 6 and 7 you can do alot of damage and help support your team, Its just harder for you to be the difference between win and lose.

I only got KV last weekend, its elited now. Ive played all but a couple of my first games with the 85mm.

Battles:65
Victories 41 (63%)
Destroyed 138
Top Gun x6
Steels Wall x6
Sniper x5
Confederate x1
Radley-Walters x2
Pools x1
Brothers in Arms x1
Crucial Contribution x1

I havent achieved achieved close to this on other tier V tanks. Only real advice is dont rush into a postion without thinking about your flanks. If you can keep front on then not many tanks will damage you.

ZEROSPIEL #15 Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:14 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostMartinNL, on 03 November 2012 - 01:00 AM, said:

Since 8.1 something has changed with the KV1, just no idea what. Yesterday I was playing in my D.max (169 pen, 300dmg gun!) and hit a KV1 3 times. "ENEMY IS HIT!", 0% damage, huh? "THAT ONE DIDN'T GO THROUGH", wtf? Same story today but only in my Cromwell, 145pen and 135dmg. All my shots hit their mark but no damage at all? Just bad luck or Russia magicu?
Nothing new. This tank bounce a lot even T29 and T25 AT 198pen. guns if I don't aim carefully. It's not enough to hit it , have to aim for weak spots all the time.

ABalazs #16 Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
KV1 is now maybe the most OP tank in the game, but not invulnerable. Your lower front plate, side and rear is soft, the only reliable point is your turret. And you are too slow not being hitted while moving on open terrain. So sidescrape or hulldown if you can, or at least angle yourself 30-40 degrees. A hidden or well covered T40, M10, T-34 or even an M3 Lee can kill a KV1 easily if you shows your weak points unangled.

F30 is the best gun for it, dont use anything else. U11 derp is insanely good against lower tier TD-s, artys and slower meds, but pontless against quicker tanks - you will rarely hit them - and against higher tier its damage is 80-100 hp avarage from front, with painfully low RoF and bad accuracy. Could be better from close flank, but KV1 is not quick enough to go CQ with a T6 or T7 heavy as for examlpe a T-34-85 with U11. In higher tier battles you will survive by stay far from enemy - your 110 mm turret dings much in T6-T7 from 200+ meters - and F30 is the best option to shoot from this distance range.

Edited by ABalazs, 05 November 2012 - 09:41 AM.

Calebos #17 Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Try like hell to get your team to use at least 1/4 of their brain.
Almost all my losses in the KV-1 are due to the team running off and suiciding within 30 sec with 0 damage done. Its an awesome tank but 1 vs 29 is pretty hard with any tank.  :Smile_amazed:

wims80 #18 Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Make sure that you always angle your tank against incoming fire. The armor is very good for tier 5, it bounces a lot. While its true that it has some weakpoints, the vast majority of the players you will face with this tank has no idea about these. The KV-1 has a good selection of guns with very different characteristics. Personally I like the 160 damage gun, its the most versatile gun, and its capable of damaging higher tier tanks. The KV-1 seems to get really good matchmaking, and you rarely meet tier 7s, so you could gamble and take the howitzer, which is hillarious. If you are top tier then expect to totally dominate with the howitzer, one-shotting most enemies. The fast firing gun is also hillarious, it kinda turns the KV-1 into an improved Churchill. Better pen and damage, almost the same rate of fire. But its no good against higher tier heavies.

The KV-1 is actually pretty good even with a team full of "red players". In the hand of a mediocre player like myself the KV-1 is capable of winning the battle for the team "singlehandedly". It frequently gets top gun, or confederate. Its a monster tank. Seems far more overpowered than the KV-1s which frequently gets calls for nerfs against it.