M5 Stuart.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
271 replies to this topic

PhoLover93 #1 Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:14 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Im really frustrated with the M5 stuart... i keep getting put in awful games where i can;t do a single thing. I know its a end of the line scout but still, its absolutely no fun to play. all i do is scout, get tracked, and die. in 14 games with it i havent killed a single thing. the grind to the M7 will be painful...

strata89 #2 Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 7931 battles

View PostPhoLover93, on 13 November 2010 - 07:14 PM, said:

Im really frustrated with the M5 stuart... i keep getting put in awful games where i can;t do a single thing. I know its a end of the line scout but still, its absolutely no fun to play. all i do is scout, get tracked, and die. in 14 games with it i havent killed a single thing. the grind to the M7 will be painful...
Try M3 lee and you will love your M5.

Vulture2k #3 Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:22 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 8512 battles
  • [MOP] MOP
in my lee i always get in games with p3s and kvs as top tank and such and can do my thing.. in my m5 in 19 of 20 battles i got into fights with is7 and vk4502 as top tank and me as lowest tank and even with the howitzer gun i cannot do anything except of annoy others..

panzergulo #4 Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:35 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 18410 battles
I was going to try the M5 out later... but it doesn't seem to have the same appeal as Leopard or A-20... which are excellent light tanks... so I am not sure if I'm going to try it out anymore...

Vulture2k #5 Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:42 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 8512 battles
  • [MOP] MOP
wait for the chaffee for that reason :/ maybe that is a good scout.. but the stuart is too slow and dies on everything..

Mow_Mow #6 Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:47 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
It doesn't help that the M5 has paper armor compared to even the Leopard, and has a slower top speed.

kblack #7 Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:08 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 13855 battles
  • [-AA-] -AA-
Just compare with similar tier tanks: Leopard and A-20 ....

A 37mm gun, with 50 penetration...

Fast, but not agile....

High profile, easy to spot....

Big tracks, easy to hit....

A very bad vehicle. Even a BT-2 is more useful.  IMHO they should bring down the us light tanks lines one tier, eliminating the one before the m3.
Or collapsing M3 and M5 in one single vehicle... they aren't different enough.

Marauderk #8 Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:43 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I have to say i did not enjoy this tank at all and am very glad to be out of it.  I would rather play the M3 Lee for a week than the M5 for a day

talestrike2 #9 Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:10 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I hate this tank with a passion, it is without a doubt the worst tank I've played in any of the tank lines.  The 37mm has zero stopping power, and even the 75mm howitzer doesnt help it a whole lot, plus its paper armor and dies in a single shot to almost anything.  I dont think ive lived through more than 1 or 2 rounds with it and the most xp I've ever gotten in a single match was 275 (and i think that was the 1st match of the day with double).   I once found an SPG alone in a corner and drove circles around it trying to kill it with the 37mm.  I got in 5-6 shots on it which only took it to 47% before it finally caught me and 1 shot me.

SgtNuker #10 Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:46 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
At least with the M3, I was able to kill things. I can't do a sodding thing with the M5 because the game's matchmaking is still broken. When I first got the M5, hadn't upgraded it or anything, and I was instantly thrown into a game with an IS-3 as the top tank, and I was near the bottom, if not the lowest tank in the match. I could turn all I wished, but the M5 was instantly tracked and died shortly thereafter. In games where the M5 is the top tank or near the middle, it fairs a little better, but M3 Lee's eat it for lunch. The 75mm snub-nosed howitzer is good, but scraping enough xp together just to get it will be a chore and a half. I can't wait to be rid of the M5 and get the M7.

Alakarr #11 Posted 14 November 2010 - 06:37 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I have to disagree with you guys. Scouting is different since the patch. Running in, spotting, kill an arty and die tactics don't work anymore. I've got a maxed out Leo and I get smoked almost immediately if I use those tactics.

Scouting now, especially in a game with Tier 8+ takes more skill and stealth. With those tactics, the M5 can be awesome. The maxed out turret has the best view range of any scout (420m). With that you can sneak and spot for arty or your long range hitters. The 75mm howitzer also hits hard with explosive damage. I just had a match where I killed a Tiger 1 by myself. First 2 shots knocked 16% off and were crits, one seemed to damage the turret cause he was turning it real slow. Third shot set him on fire, and boom. I also damaged 4 other medium tanks while they were engaged with others. Was an awesome round.

I like my M5. Just added a camo net and spall liner.

Crossfire_187th #12 Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:55 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
M5 Stuart is not bad tank. It is similar to M2 Med tank and M3 Stuart.

I use the 75mm howitzer on M5 Stuart. I must get closer in point blank range and never stop, keep going in circle against the target. The 75mm howitzer will hurt your armour plates badly if you get a lucky shot.

The speed is important to stay alive by using the downhill, and flat terrain, never climb up...

Use the objects like building, rocky hill, and rock, to cover your tank. - Step out, fire at the target, and back for cover...

metraton #13 Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:54 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 3322 battles
M5 is a great scout and arty killer (same gamestyle of the A-20, more or less) but where it really shines is for anti-scout purposes(since it is nible and fast enough and punchs a pack with the 75 gun). In other words: the perfect tank to spoil the day of Leo, PZ III and A-20 drivers.

Rhialto #14 Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:13 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Get through the M5 to the M7. It is basically a scout tank too but with a better gun, armor and all. Just remember, with the M5, shoot and scoot. That is the best tactics. Swerve often when a heavy is firing at you. Never drive in a perfect straight line. Always shift angles even slightly.

NTRabbit #15 Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:18 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
The M5 with the 75mm howitzer plays very, very much like the Panzer III with the 7.5cm L/24. Fast but not too fast, a punchy short range gun, not a lot of bouncy armour, but very nimble.

It's actually pretty fun, and I think the Panzer III and T-46 are the best comparisons for the tank, suggesting it's a bit naff because it can't match the Leopard or A-20 in abilities and style is off target - the correct comparison for those two tanks will be, on release, the M24 Chaffee

If you're using one of the 37mm guns, then the tank suffers from the same thing as every other American tank in the game - horribly undergunned for the tier.

keegster #16 Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:34 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I just upgraded to the 75 on my m5 before that gun i would drive up to the enemy and die and not even try to kill anything because you can't. now its a heck of a scout with a punch 5 kills in my first battle with it, it was awesome. but you are right you cant stop you have to shoot and scoot. can make short work of any tier 1-4 tanks

Morrigan #17 Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:05 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostNTRabbit, on 14 November 2010 - 12:18 PM, said:

The M5 with the 75mm howitzer plays very, very much like the Panzer III with the 7.5cm L/24. Fast but not too fast, a punchy short range gun, not a lot of bouncy armour, but very nimble.

It's actually pretty fun, and I think the Panzer III and T-46 are the best comparisons for the tank, suggesting it's a bit naff because it can't match the Leopard or A-20 in abilities and style is off target - the correct comparison for those two tanks will be, on release, the M24 Chaffee
The M5 Stuart can't hold a candle to the Pz3. The Stuart is noticeably slower by comparison, and it doesn't bounce any incoming fire. The guns might be equivalent, but the similarity stops there. Do you even drive a Pz3? I can't imagine you do if you're favorably comparing the M5 to it.

I enjoyed the Cunningham, the M2, and the M3 Stuart but i've hit a wall of un-fun. I'm now grinding, painfully, an M3 Lee and an M5 Stuart; what a lousy place to be.

NTRabbit #18 Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:49 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostMorrigan, on 14 November 2010 - 04:05 PM, said:

View PostNTRabbit, on 14 November 2010 - 12:18 PM, said:

The M5 Stuart can't hold a candle to the Pz3. The Stuart is noticeably slower by comparison, and it doesn't bounce any incoming fire. The guns might be equivalent, but the similarity stops there. Do you even drive a Pz3? I can't imagine you do if you're favorably comparing the M5 to it.

I enjoyed the Cunningham, the M2, and the M3 Stuart but i've hit a wall of un-fun. I'm now grinding, painfully, an M3 Lee and an M5 Stuart; what a lousy place to be.

I drove a Panzer III. I'm saying they drive in a very similar style using the 75mm/7.5cm guns, whether one is better than the other is entirely your own opinion. Any suggestion otherwise is over defensive ignorance on your part. As it stands, being a medium tank the Panzer III is more survivable armour wise, but the Stuart loses less speed in the turns, and the gun is considerably more accurate, actually able to hit targets at full speed over distances greater than 10 metres.

Personally, I've found the M5 Stuart to be the most fun of all the American tanks up to this point - the T2 and M2 are agony, the M3 Stuart is vastly undergunned, and the M3 Lee is very limited.

Kvaak #19 Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:47 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 13483 battles
http://i.imgur.com/I7uUd.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/f5Ito.jpg

I'll just leave this here.

Also, this thing is just pretty much a downgraded M3 Lee, it's a bit faster but it can't take nearly as much beating.

DennisS #20 Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:55 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postkeegster, on 14 November 2010 - 02:34 PM, said:

I just upgraded to the 75 on my m5 before that gun i would drive up to the enemy and die and not even try to kill anything because you can't. now its a heck of a scout with a punch 5 kills in my first battle with it, it was awesome. but you are right you cant stop you have to shoot and scoot. can make short work of any tier 1-4 tanks

I did this as well...first fight, 5 kills.

My crew is at 82%, I don't have any modules, and this thing just ROCKS.

This is MUCH better than my A-20. If I get in a low tier game, I can blow up one tank after another, FAST.

I am averaging over 600 exp per match (premium), over the ten that I have played. I LOVE this thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users