M5 Stuart.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
271 replies to this topic

maths99 #261 Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7502 battles
Just had battle on it. 7 frags, some awards and... I'm totaly amazed! I didn't really think it's so good :D Well, now grinding to M7 is much faster, when I liked M5 and I think gonna keep it if it's able to has so awesome scores  :Smile_smile:

EDIT:Nope, I sold it :C Prefered to buy M7  :Smile-hiding:

Edited by maths99, 21 December 2012 - 07:59 PM.

Bundin #262 Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

First Sergeant

• Veteran
  • 7528 battles
This thing is the best example of a passive scout. Try to reach your pre-planned bush, point your front into the direction you'll be most likely fleeing when spotted. And then the idling starts. Sit below your camo net. Do not shoot at anything, unless you know you've already been spotted. In that case hit W and fire if there's anything close. Only move if you see a gap in their defenses, enabling you to scout more. You can do a bit of dodging and weaving but you're not a T-50 or Leo so don't get any crazy ideas.

The one thing that bothers me to no end though is the piss poor damage that the howitzer does on tier 4 artillery. I tend to hit for ~35 damage on their 15mm armor. In my last battle, I penetrated for 63 damage on a Grille, which is significantly lower than the listed minimum damage. I'm assuming that's 63 damage to the hull and the rest was spent on damaging modules or so, but it does mean that I need about 6-7 shots to kill an arty and you never get that much time.

That just makes no sense whatsoever, a scout that cannot hope to kill arty of the same tier.

Edited by Bundin, 15 November 2012 - 05:03 PM.

Trollisljotiresns #263 Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11745 battles
Just did my first tier 8 battle, got to get used to them, I guess. As for the Lee, I found grinding with it not that bad, so, who knows, I might tolerate the M5, hopefully. Just put on the howitzer, so can not really give any feedback, yet. So far the tier 4 and 5 matches have not been a problem.

I expect a long gring but I just want the Chaffe so  badly.

Installed vents and camo net, dont have the funds for optics :/

EDIT: 1 more battle. Murovanka, encounter, Tier 7. Decided to stay and guard my arty (Hummel and 1 more), hid in a bush just right about in between them 2 so I could rush to them.

Job well done, got a T-50 (was not the only one having damaged him though).

After they had 3 more left, I went for their one last arty, spotted him, 2 shots, done.

lol 3 master gunners in 3 consecutive tier 7 games, a total of 7 master gunners in 13 games

Edited by Trollisljotiresns, 21 November 2012 - 02:55 PM.

MkH #264 Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

Major

• Player
  • 39254 battles
It's pretty awesome elited. Way better than the German equivalent, the Leopard. The excellent gun depression helps to hide the big hull, and the power-to-weight ratio is very nice. When you run the howitzer with HEAT ammo it manages to penetrate most of the enemies, though you don't really get a lot of "bang for your buck" at 2000 credits per round.

http://mwreplays.com/replayimg/fc0b6a4e95d631f2f93797d13db7d82b.png

ysk #265 Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:01 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 43912 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Awesome little tank xD Once elited it provides so much fun xD

VeryRisky #266 Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

General

• Player
  • 18611 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postysk, on 27 November 2012 - 01:01 AM, said:

Awesome little tank xD Once elited it provides so much fun xD
  With the Chaffee to research Elited is a long way away!

ysk #267 Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 43912 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostVeryRisky, on 28 November 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

With the Chaffee to research Elited is a long way away!

I meant when you fully upgrade it :)

VeryRisky #268 Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

General

• Player
  • 18611 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postysk, on 28 November 2012 - 07:11 PM, said:

I meant when you fully upgrade it :)
  That was done long ago.  I now have 10k XP in the M5 towards unlocking the next tier.

Tokran #269 Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 21477 battles
  • [HOJ] HOJ
I hated this tank when i grinded to the M24. Just overall useless for anything but sitting in a bush and have a coffee till the match ends. Came back after more than a year and see that NOTHING has changed. Its still useless. There's not a single usable gun for this thing. Speed is nice and acceleration is decent, but what good are those two when your turning rate is nearly nonexistant? Especially since the physics update speed without turning rate will only make you lose your tracks on the first bump that happens to be in your way.
With all that buffing and nerfing going on, i wonder how this little bugger could have escaped balancing for so long. Right now its fit to serve as t3, not t4.

Trollisljotiresns #270 Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11745 battles
Well, I am no pro, still learning how to be a ''bush-scout'' but I must say my WR with the M5 is good and I enjoy ending up in a tier 8 game more than being the ''top dog'' which, of course, does not happen that often. For me it is rather simple, I do not call any tank terrible as long as it always makes me profit, and the M5 does that quite well.

Tokran #271 Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:07 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 21477 battles
  • [HOJ] HOJ

View PostTrollisljotiresns, on 04 December 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

Well, I am no pro, still learning how to be a ''bush-scout'' but I must say my WR with the M5 is good and I enjoy ending up in a tier 8 game more than being the ''top dog'' which, of course, does not happen that often. For me it is rather simple, I do not call any tank terrible as long as it always makes me profit, and the M5 does that quite well.
Every low tier tank makes profit. Up to t6 its nearly impossible to lose money. Calling a tank "not terrible" because of this is  kind of strange. I do agree that the M5 can work as "bush scout". The problem is, that its the absolute only thing it can do. There are quite a few maps that simply do not have bushes or none in a position where you could scout possible incoming enemies.
Other scout tanks do not have these limitations. They either have better turning (wich helps in getting away an "run scouting", or they have decent guns. So to sum it up, the M5 is terrible, because it is a lot worse than other tanks of its tier.

Killtech #272 Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 33776 battles
  • [FLOG] FLOG
the M5 is my most played tank so far.. but that is because it had the lowest win ratio and i try to move it above 50%. since that is much harder then for any other tank i have most battles in it.

i played the new american lights + the chaffe on the test server and i have to say that i was shocked how effective these are. their guns are extremely powerful in comparison and deal consistent damage because they can slice through most side and rear armors of top tiers tanks even without premium ammo. managed to deal over 2000 damage + about the same number in spotting damage with all of the lights at least once on the test server (queues are long so i didn't get many games started). since all these lights guns have a small caliber a crew with good enough camouflage skill + sixth sense allows to shoot targets without being detected. in addition i have noticed that the higher the battle tier the easier it becomes to survive because it is increasingly difficult for the high tier tanks to hunt a light with their slow movement and long aim + reload times. that also makes flanking them easier.

the biggest problem with the M5 is the guns. when the game was released the howitzer made it capable to damage nearly all tanks it was matched against. but after all the changes to HE the opposite is the case and the tank is clearly undergunned with only its tier 3 guns. the howitzer with premium HEAT ammo offers enough penetration and damage but destroys all camo when shooting due to large caliber, it's too unprecise and takes too long to aim. the other tier 3 gun has barely enough penetration with premium ammo and does just not enough damage. so even with premium ammo the M5 is worse off then comparable light tanks. only in low tier battles the M5 shines if it is played as a scouting medium. there it can easily kill opponents with only a few shots.

but now that the chinese have the M5 in their tech tree which is a prerequisite for any higher tier tank and WoT has so many chinese players i think we can hope for improvements in the future.

Edited by Killtech, 10 December 2012 - 06:23 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users