M5 Stuart.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
271 replies to this topic

Impolite #41 Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:19 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I really enjoy the M5 with the howitzer.  It's the ultimate glass cannon.  Just don't expect to last very long and you will be fine.

Strykewolf #42 Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:19 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Managed to kill a Ferdinand the other night.  Two mediums had him busy and focused.  I was behind him.  Fun little tank.   :lol:

Paradoxxxon #43 Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:52 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 5653 battles
Hi Guys,

grinded me the Stuart 5 through my way to the M7, and made a funny observation... i am not really sure about it, but listen and pls give your comments:

Following my observations, the Stuart 5 gets more money with the same exp rewarded as a Leopard, M7 or all other scouting vessels i had driven until today !!!

Given the fact you are victorious and you did quite a good job, scouting more than 11, 12 foes, destroying 2 or 3 Artys, you could hardly earn more than 13 k credits with Leopard (WITHOUT premium !!!) !!
In those matches, i got some 600-700 exp...the same amount of credits i got with my Stuart 5, when i hardly got 350-400 exp !!! I almost had to scout 5 or 6 foes, doing nothing else and hoping for a victory and my Stuart 5 had earned me more than 10 k credits...

To understand me right:

Assuming, you are getting the SAME exp for a match in the Leopard and the Stuart 5, the Stuart 5 gots MUCH more credits (i observed a factor of 1.5) or at least the Stuart 5 is getting more exp for the same performance as the Leopard

Am i completly wrong or did anyone observe similar observations?

Percutio #44 Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:33 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I'm starting to really like this tank. Of course it is my only true light tank, but the gun makes it quite fun. The thing prints money and it is capable even in high tier battles once you get used to it.

It is also one of the most fierce wolf pack lights as it can stick with the mediums by redirecting fire and dealing critical hits with the howitzer. Heck it is even superb at killing low tier tanks and all kinds of self propelled guns (Whether tank destroyer or artillery). The only complaint here is that usually you don't get a mobile enough team on a good enough map to take on the tough guys.

Even then I'm still enjoying the fact that I can damage the Tiger I (II also I think) in the turret while spotting for all my teams heavies and dodging rounds like no ones business.

retrofly #45 Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:12 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 33 battles
This tank would actually be good if they got the matchmaking right for it. I'm always the lowest tier vehicle and just 1 shotted map after map after map :(.

No fun.

zwild #46 Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:47 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
My M2 Light is the most fun tank I have since the matchmaking code is screwed up and all my other tanks get assigned "fodder" to heavy tanks.

But the M5 Stuart is the next best tank.  The cannon on this small tank can do serious damage to any tank since it uses HE ammo which doesn't take penetration into effect as much as AP rounds.  Since heavy tank drivers are now realizing that they have a longer viewing range than light tanks and are now scouting, I can sit in my M5 and snipe from behind the heavies, usually getting a critical hit.  But of course if you get any attention, you are toast.

I personally killed a heavy solo while it was sniping another tank.  This was after I killed a medium that had my attention... 3 "lucky" misses allowed me to survive.

So a excellant little tank.

Tuccy #47 Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:45 PM

Czech Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 14503 battles
  • [WG] WG

View Postloganov, on 18 November 2010 - 06:29 PM, said:

I enjoy the M5 far more than the M3 Stuart that I had.  The 75mm HE at least makes me feel like I'm contributing to the battle.

Cheers,

Logan

Too bad the 37mm is badly nerfed... Try killing a Tiger with it in game (or atleast getting penetration)  :Smile-bajan2:

derito #48 Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:56 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 1271 battles
The tank could use a bit more speed/acceleration but the howitzer is certainly supposed to make up for it.
It also have a nice view range (something like 425 meters). This means that with optics you can reach the 500 meters limit when stopped.
This combined with a small size make it excellent when hidden in bushes ahead of allies.
Like I said the main problem is the lack of speed which can make it difficult to get where you want before someone else get there
but if you manage to find a place to hide near an often used passage this tank can make a big difference.

jcqc96 #49 Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:08 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
My only problem with the stuart is that you depend on the 75mm howitzer it has...now that's not a M5 Stuart; that is the M8 Scott. My link

All I want is to play a real M5 Stuart, not a Howitzer Motor Carriage version of it.

Problem: The 37mm doesn't deliver enough pen or damage (tried HE on VKs. Not effective at all)

Yes, the tank does wonderful stuff with that 75mm but that doesn't make it an excellent "M5 Stuart". It doesn't cause it's not even a Stuart anymore.

DemiGod224 #50 Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:42 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
One great thing I noticed with the M5 is that because of its small profile it is superb at face hugging larger tanks. With that howitzer this can be deadly tactic assuming the victim has no buddies around.

jcqc96 #51 Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:04 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostDemiGod224, on 02 January 2011 - 10:42 AM, said:

One great thing I noticed with the M5 is that because of its small profile it is superb at face hugging larger tanks. With that howitzer this can be deadly tactic assuming the victim has no buddies around.

Technically, you're talking about the Scott (M8 HMC), not the Stuart (M5 Light tank).

But the Howitzer does a good job, don't get me wrong. It's just not the Stuart anymore...

derito #52 Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:21 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 1271 battles
Well, tanks are supposed to be balanced when you have it fully upgraded.
For example: the luch is supposed to scout but without engine upgrades it's slower than heavies.
So as long as the m8 and m5 are considered being the same tank with different equipment the m5's 37mm won't get upgraded.
Moreover, I think the american tree already have too many tanks (heavies as well as arties) that feel like copypastas, and while
it may be historically accurate it's imho a bad thing for a game unless changes are made to make the tanks really feel special in their own ways.
(and by special I don't mean special)

mascotzel #53 Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:53 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 20911 battles
The Howitzer is really nice. I think it can damage up to T8. But I'd like to see a little more speed on this tank, maybe a round 60.

Heavygibman #54 Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:56 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostRhialto, on 14 November 2010 - 12:13 PM, said:

Get through the M5 to the M7. It is basically a scout tank too but with a better gun, armor and all. Just remember, with the M5, shoot and scoot. That is the best tactics. Swerve often when a heavy is firing at you. Never drive in a perfect straight line. Always shift angles even slightly.

Just wait until you get into a stock M7 ugh talk about crappy grind I finally broke down and bought the 6 pdr using premium ammo now doing pretty decent on most matches 500-1200 xp. My suggestion is stick with M5 long enough to get M7 track, engine, and gun upgrade at min other wise you will hate your life. I think baby jesus cried when I got into a stock M7 and realized its stock gun was like a 37mm POS sadly a m5 killed me toe to toe he had the 75mm snub nose and me a stock M7.... wanted to slit my wrist right then.

steamrick #55 Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 20455 battles
  • [3VSMM] 3VSMM

View PostHeavygibman, on 03 January 2011 - 03:56 AM, said:

Just wait until you get into a stock M7 ugh talk about crappy grind I finally broke down and bought the 6 pdr using premium ammo now doing pretty decent on most matches 500-1200 xp. My suggestion is stick with M5 long enough to get M7 track, engine, and gun upgrade at min other wise you will hate your life. I think baby jesus cried when I got into a stock M7 and realized its stock gun was like a 37mm POS sadly a m5 killed me toe to toe he had the 75mm snub nose and me a stock M7.... wanted to slit my wrist right then.

yeah, I remember that one.
In retrospekt, I would have been happier going through the m3 lee over m4 sherman to the easy eight. The M7 is just too much of a grind.

Stones62 #56 Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:43 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostPhoLover93, on 13 November 2010 - 07:14 PM, said:

Im really frustrated with the M5 stuart... i keep getting put in awful games where i can;t do a single thing. I know its a end of the line scout but still, its absolutely no fun to play. all i do is scout, get tracked, and die. in 14 games with it i havent killed a single thing. the grind to the M7 will be painful...

I have to agree - the M5 is an absolute horror for the tier and the play balance puts me consistently in the same spot as you.  What a lousy grind...

Dandy #57 Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 22303 battles
  • [BENCH] BENCH
M5 totally ***** me in my fully upgraded PzIV yesterday. He surprised me behind a corner and his first shot totally crippled me and set me on fire. I was so shocked that I missed him with two shots while he was dancing around me and I was slowly burning. My crew finally put the fire out at about 20% of my HP, and then M5 landed the second shot that exploded my vehicle. I was left with no choice but to congratulate the M5 driver and raise my respect for that little tank :)

sharpeh #58 Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:40 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostDandy, on 06 January 2011 - 01:15 PM, said:

M5 totally ***** me in my fully upgraded PzIV yesterday. He surprised me behind a corner and his first shot totally crippled me and set me on fire. I was so shocked that I missed him with two shots while he was dancing around me and I was slowly burning. My crew finally put the fire out at about 20% of my HP, and then M5 landed the second shot that exploded my vehicle. I was left with no choice but to congratulate the M5 driver and raise my respect for that little tank :)

Easily, my grind through the tank was too quick in my mind :(

Flecha #59 Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:59 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 5727 battles
Well... the good old M5 divides the people.I think the M5 is better cause of the 75mm "Spitter" gun (it can take out any light in 2 shots) the more HP (I know it have a bit less armor but a bit more HP with the upgraded turret)and ofcourse the personal preferrence.
By the way,if you choose a good hiding spot you can cause a big trouble among enemy lines!With the M3 this is impossible (37mm popgun sucks).

Haineko #60 Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:14 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 4399 battles
I love my little M5. It is fast, packs a nice punch and it's rather durable.

:Smile-playing:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users