A 13 Covenanter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
216 replies to this topic

Bobi_Kreeg #201 Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33926 battles
There is no need to get those "funny" guns: the poms and howitzers. There is only one true choice, the stock QF 2-pdr.

And there is no need to fight other tier 4+ tanks if you have any other options, like running away. Just try to stay alive, capture base, hunt spg, scout, spot, annoy.
Sure, you won't get much exp or credits for keeping an enemy KV busy so that your ally KV can shoot it in the back but it will boost your win percentage. Also, I once made all three top tier tanks chase me for 4 minutes. I made zero damage, zero spotting damage, but by the time they destroyed me it was all over, their entire team was gone. Etc., etc...

Annoying the enemy is the key to victory, and it's pure fun.  :biggrin:

GibMeister #202 Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16602 battles
  • [TS_GG] TS_GG
My advice, do what I did:

Play your Cov as little as possible, acrue Free Xp from your better tanks and buy your way through to the Crusader.
The Crusader is a much better tank than the Cov you'll be pleased to know just make sure its fully upgraded with 6 pndr and 100% crew ( I paid 100 gold each crew man to train to 100%) and its real good fun, I was going to rush through Crusader with Free Xp to Cromwell but I like the Crusader, its good hull down and the 6 pounder fires like a machine gun!

You need to get crew trained though as when I played it at 75% it was okay, at 100% crew it was fantastic! Oh and get the rammer and vents!

Unfortunately if you want to make this game more enjoyable you need to invest real money to get you through some of these poor tanks, I wont buy premum tanks anymore as they are rubbish, but I use gold for training and for keeping my modules to re-use on other tanks.

ApocalypseSquad #203 Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 27189 battles
Out of my 30 tank garage, this is the one I pick (with the QF Bofors) if I just want to have some fun.

In low tiers with 63mm pen you can just shred most things.  In high tier games it is a perfect scout with attitude.  Just find the right place to spot, put the kettle on, and call the bank manager to warn him about a large incoming deposit.  Just earned 2900 exp and 41k credits in a T6 match without firing a shot, doing just that.  When the targets thin out, off you go arty hunting/making a nuisance of yourself.

OK, if cornered by a heavy you might have to load up a few premium rounds and look to get behind him, but you have the manoeuvrability to do that (which the crusader does not, incidentally).  And never ever let a KV-1S or anything with a DERP gun get a clear shot at you.

But all in all, my favourite tank in the game so far.

kotkot #204 Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9243 battles
Had to buy the Covenanter back to get further in the brit lineup.

I had ragesold it after 25 matches.
Now after 30 matches I am about to ragesell it again...

My vic rate was 40% with it, now I have managed to up it to 42%...

What a useless,rancid turd that tank is.
It is meeeh if you get to be the top dog, but be in the middle or let alone in Tier6 matches...well...you might as well go sightseeing.
Apocalypse suggested to use it as a passive/active scout in highger tier matches, witch would be ok if Cov would have
any view range & its camo value would be on positive side.
The thing cant see shit and more than often I have gotten oneshotted in the bushes (camo+bins) without anyone lighting up,let alone
being in the sub 200m...

I think I have about 2-3 matches left before I have the 15.000 exp and then...oh maaaaan...I going to ragesell the fucker again!
:Smile_veryhappy:

In all honesty, good that some people dig the tank though.
Each to his own.
Pity that it has been such a twisted joke for me.
They could make the tank very decent or even goodish just by fixing the soft terrain speed and
fixing the shot speed of the derp gun. The 80m/s is laughable, you cant hit shit beyond 50meters with it.
Compared to other tier4 tanks the weapon is...well...ridiculously bad.
Hetzer anyone?

kotkot #205 Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9243 battles
Aaah.

Sold.

Now have to read on the 8.3 patch if there is any reason to continue further up the line.
Cromwell and comet pop up in every second and they are really pain in the ass when a good driver
is behind the wheel.
They are practically filling up as a AMX or T-50 with their speed and possibility of fucking things up
behind the enemy lines.

But, even If I managed a whopping 45% vic rate with the Cov in the end, I am so happy it is over...

Only couple of small buffs, and the tank itself would be playable.
Now, cant recommend it to anyone than brit fans or masochists.

Cpt_Branko #206 Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:58 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4875 battles

View PostGibMeister, on 03 January 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

The Crusader is a much better tank than the Cov you'll be pleased to know just make sure its fully upgraded with 6 pndr and 100% crew ( I paid 100 gold each crew man to train to 100%) and its real good fun, I was going to rush through Crusader with Free Xp to Cromwell but I like the Crusader, its good hull down and the 6 pounder fires like a machine gun!

Yeah, it's like an all-out inferior T-34 (which also gets a 57mm gun firing at machinegun speed, except it does 85 instead of 75 damage per shot and is far more accurate, with a bit more penetration) and without armour, which is almost decent. Almost.

Edit: I forgot the worse speed and maneuverability then a T-34. Why is the Crusader T5 alongside the M4 and PZIV and T-34 I'll never understand.

The Cromwell is a good tank however.

Edited by Cpt_Branko, 06 January 2013 - 04:05 AM.

fallenkezef #207 Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10242 battles
  • [TALLY] TALLY

View PostBobi_Kreeg, on 02 January 2013 - 12:27 AM, said:

There is no need to get those "funny" guns: the poms and howitzers. There is only one true choice, the stock QF 2-pdr.

And there is no need to fight other tier 4+ tanks if you have any other options, like running away. Just try to stay alive, capture base, hunt spg, scout, spot, annoy.
Sure, you won't get much exp or credits for keeping an enemy KV busy so that your ally KV can shoot it in the back but it will boost your win percentage. Also, I once made all three top tier tanks chase me for 4 minutes. I made zero damage, zero spotting damage, but by the time they destroyed me it was all over, their entire team was gone. Etc., etc...

Annoying the enemy is the key to victory, and it's pure fun.  :biggrin:

How many tanks have a gun that comes in at T2 and is viable up to T5? The pen and rate of fire of the humble 2pdr is awesome, only T6's give me problems.

Sidon #208 Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Private

• Player
  • 48173 battles
only play it in platoons then it rocks,  keep away from TD's :P

60% win ratio

benj1110 #209 Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:18 AM

Private

• Player
  • 2859 battles
I got through it eventually, took a lot of free experience mind...Crusader inst any better. If covenanter was slow, the crusader is worse, 45km/h, crap gun...the top one has good pen but does no damage at all...102 is the most I've had which was from behind at a B1... not impressed. And i have 12k more experience to go until I get the Cromwell, which I'm told is a beautiful thing to play

Sharpasaspoon #210 Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 8604 battles
  • [ARRSE] ARRSE
Interesting.  I reg play the Cov.  It's a very enjoyable tank.  At first I hated it along with the Cruiser IV, then you get to play it in a different way and it becomes a whole lot better.  That 40mm Bofus is excellent.  IMHO the Cru IV is better and more fun to play.

Now, did I change the game style because its a really rubbish tank and I'm compensatiing?  Maybe...

majorclanger #211 Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 38824 battles
  • [BULL] BULL
I'm keeping the Cruiser III and the Cromwell, still enjoy playing the Crusader, but never enjoyed the Covenanter, traded up to the Crusader after 40 odd games and never looked back.

armija008 #212 Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

Private

• Player
  • 18289 battles
  • [N-OOB] N-OOB

View PostPedro79, on 31 October 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

View PostPedro79, on 31 October 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

This tank is the real idiot magnet.
32% win ratio after 25 games.
Oh God almost every team (not the opposite ofc ) is fail when i play with this tank.
I thought the grind with the M3 lee was true painful.
That was a mistake.
Cant wait to sell this tank...

I do not know what are you talking about.
I love this tank, I have win rate of over 80% with it in my first 20 games or so (you can check that) I have kill/death ratio of almost 4:1 and eficiency over 3.000. Its stock gun has very good penetration for its tier, it is accurate and fairly fast reloading. That allows you to be a very good second line sniper tank. Low siluete when coupled with camo net makes you invisible in foliage. in my experience I was able to pound enemy all mach long from a good position without them even spotting me.
You are probably trying to play this tank wrong way and that is your fault not the fault of the tank. First study tank, see what are its advantages/disadvantages then adjust your tactics accordingly. Do not use tactics from some previous tanks because all tanks are different and need different approach.

colldude16 #213 Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4432 battles
I love my covenanter!!!!!
one of my favourite tanks!!!!
I got 4 kills in my last game and ended with 100% health. Their shots just bounced straight of my front armour

Great tank!

starlight2098 #214 Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 12452 battles
I'm quite a fan of this tank.   I hated it at first when it had the stock engine and suspension, bug ever since then, it's been fun all of the way.  Though I'm up to the Centurion I, I've kept the entire line starting from this tank.  Every time I think about selling it for credits I have another 3 kill round where I've tortured and killed higher tier tanks.

Like the Crusader which follows it, this tank has an excellent ability to skirmish sneakily, though somewhat more aggressively.  Where the Crusader warrants caution, the Covenanteer demands recklessness.  I've generally found in this tank it's worth making best use of terrain to make a fast course with plenty of escape routes.  The stock gun, with its high penetration is an excellent harassment weapon as long as you don't slow down and get kill hungry (this rule can only be broken when you're sure you're sure there are no other guns tracking you then the one you're already dodging.)  All the passing damage you inflict and the spotter damage you gain credit for adds up easily.

The tank is very versatile as long as you don't try to have a stand up fight.  Attack, zig-zag, circle, retreat.  Light them up, circle and flee just in time for the artillery to finish them off.  Smirk as the fireball rises into the air behind you.

At first I thought this tank dodn't have the armour to fight or the size to skirmish, but I was dead wrong.  With its generous hitpoints and even the odd surprise bounce (the extremely shallow angle of the hull helps) this thing is way readier to take a blow then any other light of its tier and with its agile, dextrous, rapid firing turret it can inflict a surprising amount of pain.

I can't get rid of this tank, it wont let me.  It just keeps bringing in the creds, XP and glory.

Edited by starlight2098, 20 January 2013 - 12:37 PM.

sheep6665 #215 Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9411 battles

View Postkotkot, on 05 January 2013 - 08:26 PM, said:

Only couple of small buffs, and the tank itself would be playable.
Now, cant recommend it to anyone than brit fans or masochists.
Only couple of small buffs and I'll have > 70% win ratio on it  :Smile_teethhappy: (now I'm 63 or 64 - no platoons, only randoms)

Panzer_Fenris #216 Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16307 battles
The Covenanter was sort of a revolution for me. After getting a bit fed-up only playing heavy tanks and TD's, trundling along while the all-present god of the battlefield rain death from the skies, I decided to have a go up the British medium line, and boy am I glad I did.

It's a brilliant piece of kit this. 30 games isn't a large enough number to form a good sample for winrate, but my 60% (non-platooned randoms) doesn't seem to be dropping much anytime soon.

The key to playing it and playing it well is keeping the stock 2-pounder, making generous use of terrain cover, and playing very, very agressively.
The gun depression is out of this world. You can hide the whole hull behind a small hill and keep pumping accurate shots at an incredible rate out at the enemy, presenting only your tiny turret as a target profile.

Here's one of my better games in it. We lost, but it was a real nail-biter all the way till the end.
http://mwreplays.com...y/A8TSZN7DFJM3/

clmaz #217 Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2340 battles
I couldn't stand this tank. Just couldn't get the right tactics with it. I was happy when I got the Crusader.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users