The Crusader is painfully slow for a flanker.

crusader light

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
63 replies to this topic

Killatomate #21 Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 19200 battles
-climb on hilltop
-use awesome gun depression
-spit gold ammo at enemies
-profit! (for WG)

Hairysteed #22 Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 22998 battles
How bad does a fast cruiser tank have to be if it gets outrun by every tier 5 medium except the Matilda, Matilda BP and Ram II?!

IBLiTZKRiEGI #23 Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 3275 battles
  • [WOLVE] WOLVE
With top engine and 100% driver, it seems to keep its speed well, even on uneven terrain or through tight turns.

XxXSpottedYouXxX #24 Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

General

• Player
  • 23824 battles
  • [4077] 4077
No buffs in 8.2 so maybe the tank is just a a pile of garbage after all.

pitypanggg #25 Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:48 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 35310 battles
Then I am not the only one. I did not like it as well. But I was not surprised to get a not really good tank after the Covenanter. That is a tank I drove with a smile on my face, and I am thinking about buying it back. Really, I think overall crusader is a downgrade from that, wg should swap the two, I would like Covenanter more even in a tier higher battles.

FreakDC #26 Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:08 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 6000 battles

View PostIBLiTZKRiEGI, on 10 December 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

With top engine and 100% driver, it seems to keep its speed well, even on uneven terrain or through tight turns.
You must have driven a completely different tank o_O. Mine turns much like a heavy tank. It's not like it loses a lot of speed. It just takes forever to turn. It also has a giant turn radius making circle of dooms pretty much impossible.
Cromwell is MUCH more mobile. Crusader has 40° traverse the Cromwell has 36°...
Hidden stats (like acceleration (different from power to weight ratio) and different terrain passabilities) make it possible.

Nechrom #27 Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:40 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18175 battles
Great camo + light tank designation + awesome gun depression + more than enough penetration + low profile = super harass sniper and scout hybrid.

I loved it while unlocking the Cromwell and I still have it in my garage.

Listy #28 Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:48 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 12101 battles
I like my Crusader, the only issue I have with it is the Gun dispersion during turret movement and the painfully long aiming time (something most of the low tier British guns seem to have). It makes trying to engage fast moving targets well nigh impossible.

Rautaa #29 Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:50 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 14947 battles
  • [_NB_] _NB_

View PostListy, on 11 December 2012 - 04:48 AM, said:

I like my Crusader, the only issue I have with it is the Gun dispersion during turret movement and the painfully long aiming time (something most of the low tier British guns seem to have). It makes trying to engage fast moving targets well nigh impossible.

I (almost) always fire the first shot unaimed. Your reload is so fast, that you won't lose anything, and you hit surprisingly often. It takes you the same time to reload + aim as it takes you to just aim. This especially against fast moving scout tanks, that you can't aim properly at anyways.

So far I have kept my Crusader. It's a capable little tank, but won't go very far unsupported.

Listy #30 Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:48 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 12101 battles

View PostRautaa, on 11 December 2012 - 06:50 AM, said:

I (almost) always fire the first shot unaimed. Your reload is so fast, that you won't lose anything, and you hit surprisingly often. It takes you the same time to reload + aim as it takes you to just aim. This especially against fast moving scout tanks, that you can't aim properly at anyways.

So far I have kept my Crusader. It's a capable little tank, but won't go very far unsupported.

Had an ELC or T-50 making a dash for my sides arty. I had to hit them and kill them, that's when it got hard. Had to lead the target by 45 degrees or so to let the reticule settle. Not surprisingly I didn't get him.
Any other tank I would have stood a chance, my Lend lease Churchill would have sliced them in half.

Don't get me wrong I still love the tank and am keeping it, its just the major weaknesses.

Rautaa #31 Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 14947 battles
  • [_NB_] _NB_

View PostListy, on 11 December 2012 - 07:48 AM, said:

Had an ELC or T-50 making a dash for my sides arty. I had to hit them and kill them, that's when it got hard. Had to lead the target by 45 degrees or so to let the reticule settle. Not surprisingly I didn't get him.

During the time it took you to lead and aim, I would have fired 3-4 times just leading, potentially tracking my target in the process. You just have to let go of your hit ratio to play this vehicle. :)

ELC's can be a pain to hit, but on the other hand, I never take a Crusader lightly when driving the ELC...

afoaa #32 Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10372 battles
  • [CLNCH] CLNCH
I have had some great success with this tank. It get matchmaking as a medium but get the cover while moving advantages of a light. This means you can use the terrain and sneak around enemies and hit them in the sides rather effectively.

You have to play it as a stealthy medium, not a light, and keep those bushes between you and the enemy when you move so you don't get spotted. Each shot you hit with does little damage, this means that a target concentrating on another enemy often don't notice your very high DPM until it is too late.

When you start a fight, find someone else to drive with or go out on a flank on your own and wait for target, it is somewhat similar to playing a french light/med. Do not rush forward as a fast scout or try to slug it out with ANYTHING, the tank is not meant to do it and you will fail if you try.

Lord_Demon #33 Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 32731 battles
I got it during the weekend, and I do like it so far.

Light, good gun, fast enough.

But based on my best game experience, it either has a great camo value, or my opposition was blind. I was firing tanks from bushes at about 200 meters, and no-one seemed to notice (or care) where I was. Almost ran out of ammo, before foolishly leaving the bush and got myself killed.

Cobra6 #34 Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16458 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
Pz III/IV dings much more and has a better gun.

The Crusader is undergunned, underarmoured and "under-engined" as far as that is a word.

Cobra 6

Aimless #35 Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 23539 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I've bought my Crusader on friday and got it elited yesterday evening. In the beginning I found it completely terrible, and until sunday I wondered how it's even possible to have a W/R below 30% after 40 battles. So on first sight, there is almost nothing that would motivate you to keep and play this tank. Now I managed to win more and got it up to 45% after 59 battles.

Generally the brit tanks are quite difficult to understand, and the Crusader is played best as an assassin, acting out of the shadow. This way, it's somehow effective. So if you like to go straightly forward and want to search and destroy from the first row, you will find your personal vietnam in this tank. It requires an extremely calculated gameplay, and may the lord help you once you are forced into a dogfight, or even have to face a superior number of enemies.

I'm gonna keep the Crusader for now. It's fascinating in its own way  :Smile_trollface-3:

kingsamIIV #36 Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 83240 battles
The problem is after the cromwell...it goes down hill again...the comet is horrible.

sword_of_Damocles #37 Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 62271 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Crusader needs some speed/acceleration buff for sure

azakow #38 Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 79243 battles

View PostCobra6, on 11 December 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

Pz III/IV dings much more and has a better gun.
The Crusader is undergunned, underarmoured and "under-engined" as far as that is a word.
Cobra 6
... and yet it is a vehicle that can be played successfully, dealing about 800 damage per battle at a good win rate.

View PostAimless, on 11 December 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

I've bought my Crusader on friday and got it elited yesterday evening. In the beginning I found it completely terrible, and until sunday I wondered how it's even possible to have a W/R below 30% after 40 battles. So on first sight, there is almost nothing that would motivate you to keep and play this tank. Now I managed to win more and got it up to 45% after 59 battles.

Generally the brit tanks are quite difficult to understand, and the Crusader is played best as an assassin, acting out of the shadow. This way, it's somehow effective. So if you like to go straightly forward and want to search and destroy from the first row, you will find your personal vietnam in this tank. It requires an extremely calculated gameplay, and may the lord help you once you are forced into a dogfight, or even have to face a superior number of enemies.

I'm gonna keep the Crusader for now. It's fascinating in its own way  :Smile_trollface-3:
You assessment on play style is correct, invisible 2nd/3rd row damage dealer applying stationary game play.

It's special MM is pure pleasure, most of the time you are within the top third of the team roster.
Lot's of team mates that run around lighting up targets.
Helpless opponents at the same tier being rained with shells every 2.15 seconds from inivisble tanks.

BossTroll #39 Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 27010 battles
The Crusader is quite a special piece of kit. It's a hybrid between a light and a medium. Therefore it requires a special kind of play.

You'll need to be a sneaky, stealthy b****** to utilise the Crusader to it's maximum potential.

Upsides:
+good gun
+good depression
+good stealth
+accelaration
+matchmaker
+cross country mobility
+it's tiny height

Downsides:
-armour
-turning speed-bleed
-topspeed

The amazing thing about the Crusader is that in can hide pretty much everywhere. Park benches are tall enough to be considered cover. Use this to your advantage.

The Crusader loves long undulating hills, woody (but not too woody) areas, medium ranges, and support. Your best matches will be played on maps like sand river, redshire or prohorovka.
Your gun is great, it has decent accuracy, and because of the low damage many enemies will ignore you untill it's too late.
It's ability to move at max speed (almost) on pretty much every kind of surface helps you out when relocating, which you need to do a lot.

The downsides of the crusader mean you have (!!) to be carefull with it, it cannot withstand incoming fire. Get spotted and you'll die in seconds. You'll have to keep in mind that it has no armour at all, even your turret front is laughably badly armoured, so don't expose yourself to anything.
If you feel you've been spotted, or will be spotted soon: Relocate. It's accelaration means you can do this reasonably fast. Even moving backwards is ok, it tops at about 20kph going backwards.

Edited by BossTroll, 11 December 2012 - 10:51 AM.

Steerpike #40 Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 17372 battles
  • [-MIA-] -MIA-
I think the point is it has almost identical or worse features to the already woeful M7 MT. You can still be effective relative to the average player you meet in tier V, but that has little to do with the Crusader.

The only bonus it gets from the light tank classification should be the same camouflage on the move as stationary.

Also tagged with crusader, light

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users