A small review of Crusader.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

Anthoniusii #1 Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23972 battles
I know that many players see Crusader's description as "Light" tank and believe that Crusader is a scout.
Actually Crusader follows the same idea development of T-34 followed too.
The odd is that British did not continue the heritage they created (and Soviets followed as secret book).
That idea is a light ,agile and fast tank with a decent gun to launch fast attacks in open fields (deserts, steppes or central european plains).
Observe the sloped armor of Crusader in both frontal hull and turret.
What British failed to "see" is that they needed an "antitank" tank!
So while T-34 was a fast steppe archer that advanced and shot ,Crusader was actually a Dragoon.
A "cavalryman" that moves fast in its possition,stops and shots.
In game Crusader has less armor and fire power than PzIV and T-34 based on the British idea of suporting advancing infantry.
Here WG made a quite good creation.
Crusader is not a scout because its to slow to be a scout.
Its not a sniper not because its gun is inaccurate but because its gun has not the power to stop the enemy with few shots.
Crusader is a tank for "teamplayers".
As "teamplayers" we mean the players that play for the good of the entire team and not simply hide to ambush enemies or advance to seap areas.
Crusader with ot high rate of fire "softens" the enemies that team tanks with less rate of fire but with more powerfull guns can finish or be in danger.
Some will ask "if we can not use the tank to be the higher killers in battles then why use it"?
Answer: Who said that killing an enemy requires skills?
Infact battle suporting requires high evaluation skills, high manuevrabillity in use of the tank and great aiming skills.
Conclusion:
Those who play for the fun of a battle and want to prove their skills as tankers found their tank in tier5.
Its name is Crusader:
http://i746.photobuc...II/shot_064.jpg

Toddwjp #2 Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 9477 battles
Still you can't deny that when you get shot by a derp gun you wish you had just a little more armour :P

ZingFreelancer #3 Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 6971 battles
Had a pretty good run on a crusader a moment ago, the fights was really intense!

LPDC89 #4 Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 17869 battles
I actually enjoyed playing this tank, and as been said its perfect "softener", iv used it as a second line support tank, were it is actually quite accurate with high enough skill level, iv been using it to soften targets up, us as a distraction and as flanker for and advancing team, its a pure and simple fast supporter and if used right and in conjunction with other crusaders it becomes very good a stopping advances in its tracks.

Kyphe #5 Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 16253 battles
OK the crusader WAS an anti-tank tank the cruiser tanks were all originally given the 2pdr which was the best anti tank gun of its day, and the 6pdr had better anti armor performance than the American 75mm.

the number 1 problem the brits had with tank design was the engine, though that was far from the only problem, it was not until the meteor engine that they had something that could give them a decent power to weight ratio, that is why British tanks fell into one of two categories, the heavy armored tanks that moved like a snail or the fast tanks that had paper armor.

Russian tank design borrowed heavily from British ideas, and they license built or made versions of many British tanks, the crusader is actually reminiscent in visual design to the t44, both Russia and the UK saw the value in the Christie suspension, both Russia and the UK saw the value of a universal tank about the same time too.

the crusader is a light tank and there are many light tanks in game that do not make good active scouts due to lack of speed but i have played a good passive scout role in this tank several times due to its good camo value, and being just fast enough to get into a decent bush in a good spot before the other team have that bush covered.

this tank however plays more like a ninja gorilla fighter than a scout, you can sneak around the flanks and pop up where it hurts.

but you cannot hold ground

Ravenblade86 #6 Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5817 battles

View PostKyphe, on 04 November 2012 - 11:31 PM, said:

this tank however plays more like a ninja gorilla fighter than a scout, you can sneak around the flanks and pop up where it hurts.

but you cannot hold ground

I got the Crusader fully upgraded and moved into the Cromwell this evening, but I was starting to have some really good games in the Crusader towards the end doing exactly that. That included one game with six kills and a base cap thanks to flanking the enemy and getting in behind them at one of the chokepoints.

I still think it's a big of mixed bag depending on what the matchmaking throws at you (if you run into a bunch of heavies you are in big trouble) but it does make a for a good mobile support tank. The L50 6 pounder gun can cause a lot of tanks some serious trouble if you catch them by surprise with its rate of fire.

SiCaRiO31 #7 Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:12 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 9114 battles
90% of my battles with the crusader have been in platoon with one friend (crusader too), and man, its SO rewarding to outsmart huge pushes, go to their flanks and star picking one by one enemys that are oblivius of your presence. 2 6 pounder doing 100 damage each 2 seconds is quite a lot, and the high reverse speed, lower depression and movility in general, makes this tank the best for ambushes and coordinated attacks. Now I want to add equipament to this thing, I think I found my next money maker, next to my Panzer IV

skridt #8 Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:47 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 7706 battles
the howitzer is lots of fun on this thing. its like a top attack weapon at long range (javelin? lol)

gibbet #9 Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 19903 battles
Now I have elited this tank going to try the howitzer as I have so much fun in this versatile tank.

Blind_Lemon #10 Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4689 battles
I'm cleary missing something because I find the Crusader truly appalling. Not quite fast enough, not enough punch and paper thin armour. I HATE it but have to grind the sorry pile of junk to get to the mediums.

Tyroon #11 Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

Private

• Player
  • 9468 battles
Have to say first couple of battles with this tank I found it appalling. But once you start getting used to the tank its not bad at all, But I have to say this tank is murderous in a platoon with voice where you can really work together.

DocMarc #12 Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16190 battles
  • [AOK_6] AOK_6
now that my crew reached 80% and I'm about 10k xp from Cromwell, this tank is really fun. got egld mounted to be able to aim even faster and retreat quicker. got me an efficiancy of more than 2000 atm! you have to analyze minimap all the time and count enemy tanks to find gaps in the enemy lines to slip through and cause chaos. great challenging tank for smart players.

fallenkezef #13 Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:11 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10237 battles
  • [TALLY] TALLY
She's a sabre dancer, you have to pick your fights and not be afraid to run like a coward.

Twice now i've taken down a Kv1 solo by ambush and making use of the the low height of the Crusader to avoid pointblank fire. People can get lazy in the bigger, heavier gun tanks and just charge down and rely on their firepower and armour.

Crusader teaches you to be mobile and is a true thinking tank.

azakow #14 Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 79243 battles
The MM is very pleasant, looking at the last 40 battles.
  • 60% top third (pos 1-5)
  • 20% middle third (pos 6-10)
  • 20% bottom third (pos 11-15)
IMO a good mixture, that offers challenges of different natures, hence requires very different aproaches by the commander at the keyboard.
I assume the current MM to be very difficult for players with few overall battle experience.

Being top third, will challenge your damage dealing abilities at the front line, while not getting hit.
Most of your team has few battle experience.
Spoiler                     

Being middle third, will challenge your supporter skills.
There may be nasty surprises such as more than one opponent Crusaders and PzIII/IV.
Spoiler                     

Being bottom third, will challenge your battlefield awareness.
Make sure opponents do not breach the front line or flank.
A very difficult task. Utilize all your vehicle abilities and attributes, which includes ramming LT opponents.
Spoiler                     

Edited by azakow, 12 November 2012 - 07:42 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users