Clutch Braking vs. Off-Road Driving

Clutch Braking Off-RoadDriving Skills

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

2ndaryBattleTank #1 Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11128 battles
I'm currently enjoying my M18 Hellcat and now I'm getting near the point of having to decide on the various skills to give to my crew members. One defining characteristic of the M18 is the poor traverse speed. Clearly the first skill going to my driver will need to do something about that.  

There are two skills affecting maneuverability: Clutch Braking and Off-Road Driving. So which of these is most effective? Clutch Braking simply seems to improve traverse wherever you are. Off-Road Driving only works off-road (obviously), but when you are off-road, is it better than clutch braking at increasing traverse? Also, what additional benefits beyond increased traverse does Off-Road Driving have?

So which of these skills two would you recommend first?

DerpSparky #2 Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 15371 battles

View Post2ndaryBattleTank, on 04 November 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

I'm currently enjoying my M18 Hellcat and now I'm getting near the point of having to decide on the various skills to give to my crew members. One defining characteristic of the M18 is the poor traverse speed. Clearly the first skill going to my driver will need to do something about that.  

There are two skills affecting maneuverability: Clutch Braking and Off-Road Driving. So which of these is most effective? Clutch Braking simply seems to improve traverse wherever you are. Off-Road Driving only works off-road (obviously), but when you are off-road, is it better than clutch braking at increasing traverse? Also, what additional benefits beyond increased traverse does Off-Road Driving have?

Well clutch breaking only works while you turn your tank without moving. It doesnt work while youre on the move. Off road driving is more for scouts and med tanks useful who need speed and mobility. Heavy tanks didnt rly need that.

Critical_Hit #3 Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11423 battles
  • [8INCH] 8INCH
I've tried em both and found Off-Road much better, you can actually 'feel' the difference when you drive tank with and without it.

View PostGER_Spark_In_The_Dark_89, on 04 November 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

Well clutch breaking only works while you turn your tank without moving. It doesnt work while youre on the move. Off road driving is only useful if you have a gun with good accuracy (should be under 0,38 m (100m)) and the tank didnt drive too fast. For the T62A its godlike, the M48A1 is good too because he doesnt has a high speed like the batchat. The skill is the best for scout tanks, medium tanks and low heavy tanks. In a few cases for TDs too but not that good.

And the tank should have a normal aim time (not more high as 2,9 sec).

You are talking about Smooth Ride

DerpSparky #4 Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 15371 battles

View PostCritical_Hit, on 04 November 2012 - 05:04 PM, said:

You are talking about Smooth Ride

Idd, fixed.  :biggrin:

Guardian82 #5 Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 24417 battles

View Post2ndaryBattleTank, on 04 November 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

Well, most people go for Clutch Braking since it works always. Off Road Driving is useless in city maps and works only on moderate (2,5% bonus) and difficult terrain like swamp or sand (10% bonus). Despite all that I went for Off-Road driving first because it's not only helping with traverse, but also acceleration - I've found it amazing (live saving) many times, all those soft grass patches (Lakeville, Malinovka) are no longer bogging me down and I can ride in my IS-8 along with other mediums ^^

My opinion only, currently my driver has 100% Off Road Driving and 48% Clutch Braking.

Edited by Guardian82, 04 November 2012 - 06:48 PM.

Trakais #6 Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23645 battles
  • [EXEED] EXEED
Depends on what tank you are using.

Offroad driving is very good for mediums because it allows to reach critical spots faster + you really notice that 2.5% bonus working.

Clutch braking is very good for heavies/TDs because it helps when some pesky mediums try to circle you to death.

Or simply get both ^^