Crusader outclassed by other tier 5's ?

Crusader tier5 british tanks 8.1

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
585 replies to this topic

Toddwjp #81 Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 9605 battles
i liked the crusader, basically a t34 with better gun depression and awesome rof

Rostlaube #82 Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 43653 battles
i haven´t fully upgraded this tank. but the first 10 battles i was a one hit kill every single time. not by tier 7 tanks, no, by other tier 5 tanks.
i need 1900 exp for the tracks, but how should i ever get them with average 40 exp per battle? i can´t even get scout points, because other tanks are faster or some morons even go for suicide scouting.

Arclayd #83 Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 19505 battles
Posted Image

nuff said

Vulgarny #84 Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 29133 battles
Company wh0000re :Smile_trollface-3:

Arclayd #85 Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 19505 battles
The think with this tank is that it works like a charm when cooperating with another fast tank, be it another Crusader or PzIV/M7.

I didnt wanted to go for British medium line after what I experienced on the HT line, but with this Britain to the front Special....it would be an opportunity wasted.

I earned 3mil credits and had a lot of fun  :Smile_Default:

Vulgarny #86 Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 29133 battles
He didnt took the bait :Smile-angry: Bad Arclayd!

theghostcat #87 Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

Major

• Player
  • 0 battles
Alright, what equipment are you guys running.  I'm struggling to feel useful in any non tier 5 battle.

Current set up: top engine/turret, vents camo, binocs.

And please, please tell me this tank improves once you leave the stock gun.

Channel911 #88 Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14602 battles
Crusader is awesome.

Playing on a seriously shitty PC where half the games i struggle to get out of the base circle because of lags and FPS between 1 and 4 it still gets awesome, closing on the kill/battle>1 goal despite playing it fully stock and mounting the last piece of equipment yesterday, with crew still at 85%

TheMuffinPirate #89 Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9504 battles

View PostHairysteed, on 05 December 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

The Crusader is a wrongly classified tier 4 medium, period!

It compares the best with other tier 4 mediums if it weren't for the arbitrary tier 5 HP pool:

PzIII has better mobility and armor but less firepower which makes it balanced against the Crusader
T-28 has about the same mobility, if not better power/weight ratio. Firepower and armor is identical to the Crusader. Bigger silhouette though.

And the Crusader isn't the only tank in the game with a screwed-up classification:
AMX-38 (Medium)
AMX-40 (Medium)
Valentine (Medium)
T30 (Heavy)
PzIIIA (Medium)
A-20 (debatable, as it's a prototype of a medium tank)

couldn't agree more +1.  Both in terms of performance and historical accuracy the Crusader should be a tier 4.
As you described, it feels like the perfect counter part to the pz3. Slower but more agile. Worse armor but a better gun.
In real life it mostly faced pz3's with a few early pz4's and late pz2's. I can't think of any logical reason as to why it's tier 5, other than the fact that wargaming couldn't think of anything else to occupy the space. A cromwell would be OP at tier5. They could have gone with a Cavalier or a Centaur.

Edited by TheMuffinPirate, 12 December 2012 - 06:29 PM.

TheMuffinPirate #90 Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9504 battles

View Posttheghostcat, on 12 December 2012 - 03:04 PM, said:

Alright, what equipment are you guys running.  I'm struggling to feel useful in any non tier 5 battle.

Current set up: top engine/turret, vents camo, binocs.

And please, please tell me this tank improves once you leave the stock gun.

I'm running with: Vents, Enhanced suspension and a gun laying drive.
Also I have 100% crew with 60% camo skill.

I'm pleased to say that this tank improves drastically once elited and after you and your crew have learnt how to drive it. It's got a very unique play style much like the elc amx.
Admittedly when I started this topic, i really didn't enjoy this tank but thanks to some great feedback I've grown to love it. It's now one of my most played tanks.

If you get in close, you can devastate people with the 6pndr. But try to avoid engaging people head on. It works well when played like a french auto loader. Never be the focus of the enemy. You can use your light tank camo rating  (which you retain even when moving) to get around people and show up in unexpected positions.  

To be honest I don't feel like the Crusaders role changes too drastically when bottom tier, as your main strength: a small profile and light tank camo bonus is unaffected. And it's not like your armor did anything in a tier 5 game anyway. Even when top tier, everything can pen you and so you should always avoid being the center of attention in every game that you play.
Start the game by playing as a passive scout.
Then once the main fight starts, sneak behind enemy lines and engage them from behind. A tier 7 is just as easy to pen from behind as a tier 5. It just yields more XP

schoffelen #91 Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8983 battles
I don't know what to do with this tank. My overall winrate is 49%, but with the crusader it's only 21%(!) I think i will have to find an suitable tactic for it, but now i'm not that happy with it. like the pen and rof, but no armour and bouncing is rare. It is too slow for fast scouting, acceleration is good but not that great. Maybe i need more games to adjust my playing style.

suggestions?

Cimex1105 #92 Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 13752 battles

View PostTheMuffinPirate, on 12 December 2012 - 06:56 PM, said:

I'm running with: Vents, Enhanced suspension and a gun laying drive.
Also I have 100% crew with 60% camo skill.

Exactly this. Vents is self-explanatory, enhanced suspension might seem weird at first, but safed my life many many times because tracks get more HP. GLD just because I can't find anything better. I mostly don't stand still, so camo and binocs only help at the start of a match. Everything else? Let's just say it doesn't matter if you are wet from a shower before getting bombed with napalm (Spall liner, Wet Rack). Toolbox might be an option for the third module, even further reducing downtime from tracking. Have to test that first.

Concerning skills I also went for camo first, so I can abuse the light tank camo on the move better. Off-road driving for driver would also be a valid option, and should be your second skill if you took camo as first. If you are happy with camo, repairs and clutch-breaking (if you already have off-road) are also useful in most cases. Ignore recon or such, since you can't depend on your viewrange anyhow unless you gear the whole tank in that direction (which I wouldn't reccomend).

View Postschoffelen, on 13 December 2012 - 05:45 PM, said:

I don't know what to do with this tank. My overall winrate is 49%, but with the crusader it's only 21%(!) I think i will have to find an suitable tactic for it, but now i'm not that happy with it. like the pen and rof, but no armour and bouncing is rare. It is too slow for fast scouting, acceleration is good but not that great. Maybe i need more games to adjust my playing style.
suggestions?

See for example my post on the second page of this thread. And a lot of other helpful things can also be found here. If you have some specific question, I'm sure someone will be happy to answer you, but general gameply wise I just can't think of anything that hasn't been said already.

Edited by Cimex1105, 13 December 2012 - 08:48 PM.

Cpt_Branko #93 Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4875 battles
I much prefer M4 for my Tier 5 medium and I did better with Churchill I then this.

The ROF is great, but if you stick around to shoot, everyone likes to shoot at a Crusader. The M4 derp gun can penetrate it frontally in the turret with normal HE and one-shot it.

Tanku49 #94 Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21544 battles
I like the Crusader, now it is elited , crew up to 91. It can get to where you want to be fast, and can relocate, it makes an excellent spotter when your low tier and a running-slasher when the chance occurs. If  top tier it can mess with anyone, just avoid the Derp guns like everyone else has to. Speed and movement are the keys most of the time, but in a good hull down spot its Acc and RoF are killer. As long as you remember you have little armour it works, i find it a bit like and E8 but more agile.

ApocalypseSquad #95 Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 27188 battles
I struggled badly with this before finally clicking with it when I realised it is a stealth tank.

It has good camo, and as a light keeps it on the move.  Keep in cover, sneak from bush to bush.  It's amazing how often you can find a position that allows you to fire at will, totally unspotted.

Hard to play, but very rewarding when you get it right.

kivanen #96 Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 26394 battles
  • [KPY] KPY
I liked covenanter very much and waited crusader much. I frustrated very soon and sold it. It doesn`t bring anything that covenanter doesn`t already deserve.

Edited by kivanen, 15 January 2013 - 11:31 AM.

Cpt_Branko #97 Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4875 battles
Well I'm starting to get the hang of it. It was my first T5 and I was thoroughly underwhelmed at it at first - it's certainly a medium/light which requires some experience.

It's not a bad tank. It IS inferior to the T-34 in large part because it's gun is inferior to the 57mm ZIS, which does 13% more damage and is much more accurate (and a few other things, but mainly the 6pdr vs ZIS bothers me, there are situations where you realize "if I had the ZIS, I would've won this game"). However It's a better T5 medium then a PZIV with 75mm gun or M4 with 76mm gun; the only reason these mediums are better is because they have the 105mm which is an excellent closerange gun.

I would sooner however take the Crusader with 6pdr then 75mm PZIV or 76mm M4.

Brazilski #98 Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 7189 battles
I liked the Crusader stock, actually did quite well in it, especially after the horror that is the Convenanter.

However, now that I've got it fully maxed out and am grinding for the Cromwell,.. !@#$%^&*( that is one awefull grind. I just can't seem to get through. I guess the main problem is that it just isn't fun. Sure, it has it qualities, but it just isn't any fun to play with this tank. The gun sounds like a pea shooter, doesn't do any damage, though penetration and RoF are ok. T-34 has the 57mm which doesn't do any damage either, but at least that one feels like you're firing a gun, and it's better overall. Speed and manoevreability are good, but not great. The Crusader just doesn't excell at anything.

Kyphe #99 Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:43 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 16253 battles

View PostCpt_Branko, on 15 January 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

Well I'm starting to get the hang of it. It was my first T5 and I was thoroughly underwhelmed at it at first - it's certainly a medium/light which requires some experience.

It's not a bad tank. It IS inferior to the T-34 in large part because it's gun is inferior to the 57mm ZIS, which does 13% more damage and is much more accurate (and a few other things, but mainly the 6pdr vs ZIS bothers me, there are situations where you realize "if I had the ZIS, I would've won this game"). However It's a better T5 medium then a PZIV with 75mm gun or M4 with 76mm gun; the only reason these mediums are better is because they have the 105mm which is an excellent closerange gun.

I would sooner however take the Crusader with 6pdr then 75mm PZIV or 76mm M4.

I would not take the zis over the 6pdr, yes the damage would be nice but the accuracy overall when you add the soft stats is worse, the 6pdr aim reticule opens slower than the zis and its shots fire more towards the center even when on full dispersion than the zis, which means you have a much higher chance of hitting at full speed than you do in the T34 which is good, as you don't often want to fully stop in this tank and it aids you when peekabooing.

T34 is quite an easy kill for me in the crusader, I class the crusader as the better tank.

Edited by Kyphe, 18 January 2013 - 03:44 AM.

starlight2098 #100 Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 12452 battles
I've played with my T-34 a lot more then my Crusader, but the Crusader is catching up despite being about 9 months younger.  I used to love the T-34 for its mix of mobility and penetrating firepower, until I became familiar with the Crusader.  Now the T-34 feels inelegant and clumsy, with a truly awful DPS due to its abysmal rate of fire and aiming time with the top gun (and both tanks have a rammer.)  The Crusader is quicker to move, quicker to harm, more accurate and can take cover far more effectively.

The T-34 is far better against derpguns, so I occasionally switch to it when grinding creds, only to be reminded why the Crusader is worth its flaws.

I also used to drive the M4 Sherman, but despite its positive qualities, it simply felt too big and vulnerable for its capabilities.  I ended up selling it for the Easy 8, which I then sold to help fund my Centurion I, as it simply didn't compare to the Cromwell.  Sadly, I'm not entirely sure the Centurion I was worth it.

Also tagged with Crusader, tier5, british, tanks, 8.1

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users