AMX 12t is an abysmal tank

amx 12t useless underpowered terrible awful unplayable

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
191 replies to this topic

aeraaa83 #41 Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11056 battles
The tank needs to be played differently from a scout.

Play it instead as a lightly armored medium, that is wait until your sturdier vehicles engage an enemyy tank and hit him from the flanks with a barrage of 6 75mm shells. Then run away. Repeat for a maximum of 5 more times. If you have the opportunity, highlight targets for the arty.

I was bad in this tank as well, and my current winrate reflects this. It is only recently that I finally understood how it is best played.

Oh, and it's also a great anti-scout vehicle.

Thlurp #42 Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11413 battles
i never was successfull in huntin down scout, at least not while driving

the accuracy on the move is just terrible and you get vstab not before t9 (medium)

aeraaa83 #43 Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11056 battles
If I use auto aim, I find it easy to reliably hit them, provided you dont shoot until you're right behind/in front of them.

Boomstick1 #44 Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

Private

• Player
  • 6290 battles
Well I got the 13 75, it's a little tiny bit better. The mobility is a little better with the top engine, and the extra 300 hp are welcome. Other than that, it's shit. It's utter bollocks that it doesn't even get a better gun, that wimpy peashooter is so underpowered and does not make up for it's other flaws. And it's like 100k xp to the next tank, who in the world has the patience to grind that? Even getting your daily double and then not touching it again all day is a chore in this tank since it's so horribly underpowered.

This whole part of the French line needs to be reworked.

Kelron #45 Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:57 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 6285 battles
I love the 12t now.  I struggled at first, coming from the ELC with 100% crew to the 12t with 75%.  But since getting used to it and getting crew skills up I have a lot of fun with it and often score as much damage as any heavy on my team.    It's not fast enough to scout effectively, but its still a fast and agile tank with a small profile.  You can get into unexpected positions on the battlefield unseen, and wait until heavy tanks engage before unloading as many shots as you can get away with and relocating.   You can also cross the battlefield very quickly.  If you spot an enemy engaged in a duel, you can get up behind them and swing the balance, or rush from attack to defense in seconds.

It's a fragile tank.  Like the ELC its not much good in a duel or any situation where the enemy is waiting for you to emerge.  The lower penetration means you do need to aim your shots rather than rushing past and away.  But when you take enemies unaware it can do a lot more damage than the ELC can.  If they ignore you, a full magazine does 810 average damage in a short space of time.  That's a big dent in any tank.  If they try and engage you, you can get behind cover before their turret finishes turning, and they leave themselves open for your allies to attack.

Bogdan3 #46 Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 21150 battles
  • [G_REV] G_REV
First, the 12 t is great tank ,and i love it.I am ace tanker with it,always do great damage,it has bad acceleration but you should flank,and be furius.First wait for the enemies to fire then go around them and destroy them.I think that you are the problem you didn;t figured out how to play with it

DanteDarkstar #47 Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 12454 battles
When I started out, I also noticed it's very crappy tank. But since the new after battle report, I realized that yes - I often end up with no kills and  die easily... but still get quite a lot of exp... in t9-t10 game. The tank does feel pathetic, and sometimes it is, but in right circumstances, it can outdo its tier and contribute as much as tier 8 tanks to the victory (from what it will reap 20% higher XP reward thanks to its low tier). Since then, I reevaluated the tank, and consider it an "OK" tank. It's too weak to be "great", but capable of too much to be "bad". It may be a bit on a weak side, like Crusader, but that's the curse of the "light tank" descriptor (not talking about dedicated scouts, as their tier is artificially reduced compared to their abilities).

CumbDlickers #48 Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31175 battles

ELC   -> freaking awesomeness
12t     -> sh*t
1375 -> sh*t
1390 -> freaking amazing
lorry   -> decent/good (played on test server)
chatbat  -> great (played on test server)

P.S.:

40 -> amazing when downhill on dragon ridge, no one will EVER expect that!

Skritt #49 Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9278 battles
Imo this tank needs either a change in matchmaking so it gets matches like a T6 medium, or a better engine upgrade - a 320 hp engine would give it ~26 hp/t which is quite respectable and more suited to scouting than the current engine is.

Other than that it's a quite nice little fellow, I'm having fun in it even though I only bought it yesterday and have only the upgraded engine installed.

Edited by Skritt, 29 December 2012 - 05:42 PM.

TKFF #50 Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

Private

• Player
  • 6809 battles
LOL good thing I skipped 12t while It was tier V.  :Smile_trollface-3:

TKFF #51 Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

Private

• Player
  • 6809 battles
But yea, 12t is sh** as tier VI

Edited by TKFF, 29 December 2012 - 05:57 PM.

5uchar #52 Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:15 AM

Private

• Player
  • 10578 battles
Those tanks are for people with +1200 efi. The rest perform just to poor to see their full potential.

dezdez #53 Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:53 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 8307 battles
bad matchmaking
bad mobility for a light
lol gun for not beeing a scout but having to fight tier 10 enemies
beeing situational means you have very first 3-4 minutes where you can't do NOTHING but wait for opportunities because wherever you show up enemy turrets will be turning towards you.

Edited by dezdez, 30 December 2012 - 03:53 AM.

builder396 #54 Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:14 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10336 battles
The problem is that the AMX 12t isnt a scout, but has the same matchmaking.

The guys who want to say that I (and whoever else shares my opinion) is a noob, just save your breath. I heard you guys mention that the tank is supposed to flank. Is it? If you gte thrown into rooms with enemy tanks like the IS-series (especcially from tier 8 upwards), E-100 and MAUS, whose armor is substantial enough to withstand anything you might fire at it, even from behind, also these tanks offer very few weakspots that are still worth shooting at. Flanking may be possible if the enemy team has a very rigid tactic, due to limited mobility of such heavy tanks, but even if you have success flanking an enemy tank in such battles, there is nothing you could significantly damage.

The long 75mm gun has a penetration of 144mm (which is weird as it is a modified 7.5cm L/70 gun which has 150mm penetration) with a 6 round autoloader. The sad thing is that the autoloader does not give you a significant advantage at such a low caliber as the reload cycle within the drum is about half the reload cycle with a non-autoloader version of the same gun. this may give you double the DPM for a short period of time, but that does not offset the reload time when you have to reload the drum, which makes the auto loader of questionable use. The gun is subpar for the tier in terms of penetration and firepower, which is supposed to be offset by the modest mobility and the autoloader.

The armor is non-existent, and the hitpoints are below other tier 6 tanks, but considering this is a light tank it is generally acceptable, but you cannot run up against any tier 8 tank as your health will not survive constant hits, also it is likely that youll loose your tracks in the wrong moment being completely exposed to enemy fire. Bounces are very rare, and if the tracks sacrifice themselves and soak up one shell, the only outcome is getting completely tracked. Durability is also not a strongpoint.

The mobility of the tank is bad for a light tank, most medium tanks from tier 7 upwards can easily keep up with it, and even medium tanks from tier 6 and 5 can still chase you with limited success as your speed is not quite enough to get enough distance between you and your enemy. running from your successors, namely the AMX13 series is close to useless, and Tier 10 medium tanks will generally overtake you. Even if you only were to meet high tier heavy tanks, as soon as they see you youre dead, since you just arent fast enough to pull yourself out of any danger, before you slip around the next corner you are usually meat.

The onlya role i can see for such a tank is a support and possibly exploit role. Passive scouting is also possible, but hard due to the view range. The best thing is to lay low (e.g. scout passively) until about 50% of the enemy tanks is dead or there is a hole in their line where you can easily fit through. Then you try to charge at the enemy artillery and quickly finish them off thanks to your auto loader. as an alternative target you can also choose afk players and lone tank destroyers as those feature less side and rear armor and usually have no turret.

If such an exploit role is not possible, try to engage in long range cover-based combat. If you choose your cover well, many shells will head in your general direction, but hit your cover instead. once attention has shifted, you may be able to actually deal damage to enemy side armor, but that generally does not work in high tier battles, as your penetration cannot penetrate the thick armor of these tier vehicles.

Mko #55 Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 16132 battles
I like my 12t. With crew above 95% it is really good :)

Kuad #56 Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16241 battles
Seriously, if you think the 12t is crap you're really not going to like the 13-75.

peacefulguy102 #57 Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:24 AM

Private

• Player
  • 15795 battles
There are so many good posts about performance of AMX12t that I won't talk about them in a normal way. Will just try to describe all the feelings during driving this tank.

When you're new at driving any of light ambushers, then the first match is like... 'Huh? Right, arty tier 7, my tank tier 6, so it must kick asses'. Ok let's go. You drive, you drive, 'I see the SU-152...' Dead.

After 5 matches like these, you start to hide and snipe anything with a poor hope that you can make any damage. With a stock gun, you even have problems with penetrating sided IS, sided Ferdi is impenetrable, arty ricochets half of shoots at this tier. So you hide, all call you 'noob', tell you to scout, go for arty (which is good idea, but when you have a good feeling when to do it, but at this point you have absolutely no idea and obviously die) etc. etc.

After 10 matches you're like 'Ok screw it'. Then you think: 'But then theres AMX 13 90 somewhere! Lets go'.

After 40 matches you have no hope, killing maybe 1-2 tanks in 8 matches. Then you get pretty good gun, you get used to meet IS-3 and being dead after delivering max 3 shoots, when with your skills, you deal like 250 dmg and maybe spot some tanks.

After 150 matches, you start to know how to play it. You know that 2 shoots kill you, you deal funny damage and you have so little impact on match (i STRESS that ONLY when it's your FIRST tank of this type), that you are just like 'Oh yea, AMX 13 75 researched, it will kick asses for sure!' You sell your AMX12t, buy AMX 13 75, you set a crew from AMX12t, you look at stats and... GOD, ITS THE SAME GUN!

Seriously, there is nothing as depressive as driving AMX12t for a common player. Matchmaker makes a pure fun of this tank, same do most of players. And discovering that AMX 13 75 is like AMX12t with +300HP just makes you kill yourself.
This tank is definitely cursed. No idea what are my stats on it, maybe about 45%, ive sold it some months ago, but it doesnt really matter. IT IS CURSED!

Cpt_Branko #58 Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4875 battles
Meh, I'll just stay with the ELC... it gets thrown in hightier matches, but it can actually deliver some damage and be a light-TD, which makes it quite fun.

Thargor11 #59 Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13916 battles
  • [C1DFL] C1DFL
@peacefulguy: What is your problem? I used it for about 200 battles and managed a 53% win rate with it. The gun is very adequate even for tier 7 and can pen the flanks of almost everything you frequently encounter (the KV-5 being an exception). You can't kill a healthy heavy with one clip, but this is not what the tank is intended for. It is for the later stages of the battle, when you can kill off lonely, damaged havies und exploit the usual gaping holes in the enemy lines to wreak havoc among the arty.
The only real downside is the poor acceleration, so keep moving at all times.

peacefulguy102 #60 Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Private

• Player
  • 15795 battles
@Thargor11: I just said what a typical person goes through when getting this tank. Stock gun is a joke and KV-5 is usually at the middle of the list with this matchmaker. I dont need advices on it, because now I enjoy my AMX 13 75 and I know i'd do much better on AMX12t now. It is just not a tank for newbs, that was the very first flanking tank available and its not good for learning. New Chinese light at this tier is even worse.

Also tagged with amx, 12t, useless, underpowered, terrible, awful, unplayable

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users