The Valentine Light Tank (A couple of questions)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

Crux_T34 #1 Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 8602 battles
  • [NYA] NYA
Good Day fellow British Tankers!

I have several questions and ponders on this tank.

1) Why is it slow, even with top engine? Being over-taken by heavy tanks isn't fun...
2) Why is it a light tank? What really characterises it as a light tank?

Also:

Why isn't it a medium? It isn't really a light tank...
How would be best to play it? (As in style, I tend to prefer city maps with peek-a-boo around corners).
What gun do you recommend?

TheMuffinPirate #2 Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9504 battles
It's a light in the same way that many of the french tanks are classified as "light" tanks. It's more of a mock heavy tank and should be played as such.
As for your point about it being slow, I found it to be much faster than similar tanks such as the Matilda or the amx40. Are you using 50% crew.

There are 2 guns you could use.
I usually stick with the stock 2pndr. It's the best gun in terms of damage output, accuracy and aim time. Also is very accurate when moving. The only problem is the lowish pen. The 6pndr L50 isn't a bad choice either. The pen is really nice for a tier 4

Playstyle depends on which gun you take. With the 2pndr you're a well armored sniper. Also as you it's so accurate on the move you can lead the charge when top tier and never have to stop. Just keep pushing forward.
With the 6pndr. It's best to get in close and play peek a boo.

Shegzor #3 Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23555 battles
  • [TEC] TEC

View PostCrux_T34, on 17 November 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

Good Day fellow British Tankers!

I have several questions and ponders on this tank.

1) Why is it slow, even with top engine? Being over-taken by heavy tanks isn't fun...
2) Why is it a light tank? What really characterises it as a light tank?

Also:

Why isn't it a medium? It isn't really a light tank...
How would be best to play it? (As in style, I tend to prefer city maps with peek-a-boo around corners).
What gun do you recommend?

The Valentine is a heavy tank in light clothing - you're slow, but have thick armor and some nice, boncy slopes. It's basically a better version of AMX 40.
It has a very nice selection of guns, and you're by no means forced to use the top one - I personally preferred the upgraded 6 pounder due to its higher penetration and slightly higher rate of fire.

When you're top tier, use it like a heavy and lead the push. Be aware that certain tanks (Matilda, Hetzer, other Valentines) can be a real danger even from the front, but otherwise, people should fear you.
Mid tier, find a toptier to follow around and support. Your gun is excellent and has no trouble penetrating anything you meet when properly used. You can even bounce tier V shots and you're likely to be top tier once again after the tier Vs die.
Bottom tier - support the advance, but stay a bit further behind. Your cannon is still good even against tier VIs, and losing it by getting oneshotted by a KV-1S would be a waste.

Also, try sidescrapping, it's usually a better idea than peek-a-booing. Depends on your tank, your opponent's tank and available cover. And avoid getting caught in the open. Even when top tier, longer exposure to enemy fire will still get to you.

Crux_T34 #4 Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 8602 battles
  • [NYA] NYA
Thanks guys.

Raeth #5 Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3983 battles
Try the medium Matilda, you've not known the meaning of slow until you've played that.

Edited by Raeth, 18 November 2012 - 12:09 AM.

ColdHeat #6 Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6126 battles
Exactly. Yet I've got doubts if the Valentine is displayed in it's real size in the game or was smallened for gameplay reasons. When you look at it from photos with people sitting on top of it it isn't really small but in game, even a leopard scout tank is bigger.

Anyway: Does anyone use the 75mm MkV "top tier" gun? I've unlocked it because i have to anyway with later tanks yet from it stats it simply doesn't appear as if it is worth the 50k coins to try it out as the L/50 seem to do the same job.

LGrum #7 Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostColdHeat, on 24 November 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

Exactly. Yet I've got doubts if the Valentine is displayed in it's real size in the game or was smallened for gameplay reasons. When you look at it from photos with people sitting on top of it it isn't really small but in game, even a leopard scout tank is bigger.

Anyway: Does anyone use the 75mm MkV "top tier" gun? I've unlocked it because i have to anyway with later tanks yet from it stats it simply doesn't appear as if it is worth the 50k coins to try it out as the L/50 seem to do the same job.

The VK 1602 Leopard is bigger in overall size than the Valentine (going by the Achtung Panzer figures). unsurprising as its nearly a third heavier.though the thickness of armour is no greater.

Length x width x height

Leopard 4.74 / 6.45m x  3.10m / 3.27m x  2.60m / 2.80m

Valentine 5.4 x 2.7 x 2.3

Kyphe #8 Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 16253 battles
The Valentine was actually the successor to the Matilda, but the Russians got both, they hated the tilly but they loved the Val as a heavy scout bit like the idea of the pz2j.

force recon, a scout that can take a hit from most German anti tank guns

ColdHeat #9 Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6126 battles
I see. So it's actually really the historical size. Amazing. Regarding from the german experiences in africa against this heavy armoured tank, i always imagined it as a big and heavy tank.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users