Military terminology for the beginner

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

Ol_Harmon #1 Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5728 battles
Here's some military terms I've learned the actual meaning of during my time playing WoT. Add more as required.
(Bugger: I just realised I mis-typed the thread title! Fixed - thanks Byoza)

Team work: something all the other guys should do while you get on with your game.

Choke point: supposedly a position where a small number of vehicles (ideally TDs) can hold off the enemy forever (see Thermopylae/ 300) while the more mobile tanks can go for a capture. In reality it's used as a funnel for your own sides' tank to zoom into and get slaughtered while blocking the TDs' shots.

Mobility: the ability to move your tank from the spawn point before dying.

Speed: a measure of how FAR your tank can move from the spawn point before dying.

Firepower: the ability to bounce a round off the enemy.

Rate of fire: a measure of how often you can bounce a round off an enemy tank before dying.

Tactics: a vague idea of what you ought to be doing. Usually not required to be anything more than vague because you die before you can execute it anyway.

Cover: something that makes the enemy invisible while you're waiting in the bushes to ambush him.

Armour: presumably something intended to stop the wind making your crew cold, but ensures that enemy rounds are guided into hitting the least convenient (for you) modules.

Tracks: the things that the enemy blow up and bring you to a halt so that you die in a different place than the one you intended.

Repair kit: a method of spending 3,000 credits just before you get killed.

First aid kit: an alternative way to spend 3,000 credits just before you get blown up.

Depression: the feeling you get when you realise you're the lowest tier tank in the fight. Alternatively, the technical term for being able to point your gun far enough toward the ground so that you can shoot yourself in the foot.

Aim time: the time it takes for a gun/ sights to settle down to a point where can be reasonably sure of hitting your target.  This period is easily calculable - it's the time from getting the target in view to the time your target gets off the one shot that kills you plus one week.

Edited by Ol_Harmon, 25 November 2012 - 10:40 PM.

Byoza #2 Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21881 battles
  • [DR3AD] DR3AD
Made me laugh +1 :)
Btw, if you use full editor, you can fix the title :)

stefanace1st #3 Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3654 battles
Scout: Tank with paper armor, used to fly to enemy's base in the hope that they'r guns aren't pointing in his direction and then get of of the tank to greet the other slower tanks when they come there with some combat rations.

Ol_Harmon #4 Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5728 battles
Scout tank: alternative definition. The guy with the fastest, hardest to hit vehicle on your side. And who decides to camp behind the closest rock to his spawn point trying to kill a T-150 with a 37mm gun for the rest of the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users