Crusader - Crew Death

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

amushrow #1 Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5718 battles
I know people seem to be split about this tank and I personally quite like it, but one of the things that gets me is how often the crew get taken out. I don't know if it's because I'm thinking about it so I take more notice when it happens, or if they really do get hit more in this tank. But in a tank that can only take a few hits it real pain that one of the crew members usually gets incapacitated, if I'm lucky its the commander, otherwise the tank becomes almost completely helpless as it either can't move or can't shoot.

Has anybody else noticed if crew gets hit more often in this tank? I don't recall the Covenanter losing so many crew members, although I've not played either tank that much and the Covenanter less so.

Mko #2 Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 16132 battles
I don't really remember...just carry a med kit :)
it has very little armor and is quite small so it makes sense the crew gets hit. Especially if you get hit by HE.

TheMuffinPirate #3 Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9504 battles
The tank has a very small profile. The upside of this is obviously that you're hard to hit and have a good camo rating. The downside is that every hit you do take is highly likely to kill crew or damage modules. Also as the armor is so thin, HE shells will devastate your crew. Once all 3 of my crew members were killed by arty splash damage -.-

One thing that bothers me about the tank is the fact that the gunner is listed as the sole loader and so if you're gunner gets killed, you suffer twice as much. Are wargaming seriously saying that one man can get out of his seat, pick up a 6pndr shell, load it, sit back down, aim a gun and fire it all in 2 seconds. I don't think so. Historically, the gunner only opened and closed the breach. The commander rammed in the shell. If both crew were listed as loaders the penalty for losing your gunner would be a lot more bearable.

Unfortunately it would appear that the entire British cruiser/medium line suffers from this weakness. Every tank from the A13 mk1 to the FV 4202 loses crew and modules with every other hit. The Centurion's entire hull is made of ammo racks. Annoyingly, much like the Germans frontal transmission, this is a complete work of fiction. The British tanks had no worse methods of ammo storage than any other nation in WW2. In fact it was the Russian's that were renowned for storing ammo in vulnerable places to allow for a smaller hull.

Mko #4 Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 16132 battles
german transmissions in the front are not a work of fiction...only the unwillingness of the devs to make transmission and engine two separate modules.
I really don't remember how it is with crusader but cromwell does lose crew members with hits.

LGrum #5 Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostTheMuffinPirate, on 02 December 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

The tank has a very small profile. The upside of this is obviously that you're hard to hit and have a good camo rating. The downside is that every hit you do take is highly likely to kill crew or damage modules. Also as the armor is so thin, HE shells will devastate your crew. Once all 3 of my crew members were killed by arty splash damage -.-

One thing that bothers me about the tank is the fact that the gunner is listed as the sole loader and so if you're gunner gets killed, you suffer twice as much. Are wargaming seriously saying that one man can get out of his seat, pick up a 6pndr shell, load it, sit back down, aim a gun and fire it all in 2 seconds. I don't think so. Historically, the gunner only opened and closed the breach. The commander rammed in the shell. If both crew were listed as loaders the penalty for losing your gunner would be a lot more bearable.

Unfortunately it would appear that the entire British cruiser/medium line suffers from this weakness. Every tank from the A13 mk1 to the FV 4202 loses crew and modules with every other hit. The Centurion's entire hull is made of ammo racks. Annoyingly, much like the Germans frontal transmission, this is a complete work of fiction. The British tanks had no worse methods of ammo storage than any other nation in WW2. In fact it was the Russian's that were renowned for storing ammo in vulnerable places to allow for a smaller hull.

Gunner doesn't even have to open the breech, the 6-pounder is semi-automatic breech - it opens at the end of the recoil.
As you say, the commander acted as the loader. Presumably he also had to work the radio as the loader had that job in the 2-pounder turret.
Fortunately the Crusaders were relegated to reconnaisance on the wings of the advance in the North Africa campaign as the Grants  took the centre so the two man turret was not the liability it might have been.

Though in the 6 pdr Crusader they did put the ammo where the auxiliary turret had been - up the front alongside the driver.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users