Jump to content


Soviet Army in action in WWII


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

Rediez #1 Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 0 battles
  • 29
  • Member since:
    06-15-2012


emoteguy00 #2 Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 4799 battles
  • 428
  • Member since:
    04-13-2011
True heroes

Ubertoaster #3 Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 15900 battles
  • 824
  • [TAHK] TAHK
  • Member since:
    05-12-2011

View Postemoteguy00, on 04 December 2012 - 08:13 PM, said:

True heroes

You mean those guys that once came out of their country started raping and stealing everything from everyone (the so-called nationalization)?
The Soviets have committed much more hideous war crimes than Germany, but they were "liberators", so everything is forgiven, huh?

My great-grandfather told me a story: The German garrison in our village consisted of a single (German) soldier, who stayed in our house. Once in a while, he chose a chicken, which he wanted to eat. After that he payed us. But then the Russians came and ate all our cows, goats and sheep and on top of this, they infested us with lice and fleas.

Negreping will be very immature.

Edited by Ubertoaster, 04 December 2012 - 08:28 PM.


Leliushenko #4 Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 35199 battles
  • 282
  • Member since:
    02-09-2011
Are you really compare the soviet army with the german army? Are you comparing rapes with gas champers?
Just read this little story.
The soviets liberated Auschwitz at about 25 Jan 1944. Nothing is written at the army newspapes for this, under strict orders from STAVKA. The soviet soldiers had learn nothing about this. Otherwise they would not stop only at rapes.
Can you inform me please about the number of german villages burned down from the soviet army, after the mass execution of their villagers?
Orandur sur Glan,Kalavryta,Liditze, Kommeno,Kefalonia means anything to you?
Don't stay at your great-grand father story. Τhe malfeasance is different from crime

PanzyBattalion #5 Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 10888 battles
  • 619
  • Member since:
    10-18-2011
I find it funny Ubertoasters story the worse thing is some cows n goats got eaten and they got lice, how bad.

Anyway, cool to see some footage of USSR troops in action.

XxXSpottedYouXxX #6 Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 23824 battles
  • 8,336
  • [4077] 4077
  • Member since:
    05-05-2011

View PostUbertoaster, on 04 December 2012 - 08:28 PM, said:

You mean those guys that once came out of their country started raping and stealing everything from everyone (the so-called nationalization)?
The Soviets have committed much more hideous war crimes than Germany, but they were "liberators", so everything is forgiven, huh?

My great-grandfather told me a story: The German garrison in our village consisted of a single (German) soldier, who stayed in our house. Once in a while, he chose a chicken, which he wanted to eat. After that he payed us. But then the Russians came and ate all our cows, goats and sheep and on top of this, they infested us with lice and fleas.

Negreping will be very immature.

Probably conscripts ;p.

JustARandomOne #7 Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 33237 battles
  • 767
  • [-PGC-] -PGC-
  • Member since:
    03-03-2012
The soviet army and regime wasnt any better than the german, the soviets committed horrible crimes and massmurder too.
Anybody who calls them heros, doesn't read any book about history.

I dont want to defend the german crimes, but to say the soviets were "better" is like an insult.

Gangerr #8 Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 19968 battles
  • 572
  • Member since:
    03-19-2011
That film like many others from that time are just propaganda and all nations are guilty of doing it.  WWII was a bad time for europe, afica and the far east and all countries are guilty of war crimes.

While I was in school in the 1980's all I heard about the USSR from my teacher was how bad they were and we were so good, to my shame I believed her at the time.  But growing up and learning more about history of the world, you find out the truth about things.  My point is, I don't believe anything any goverment says and only stupid people believe.

7049 #9 Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 155 battles
  • 1,495
  • Member since:
    12-11-2012
Personally I believe that anyone individual can be a hero. Regardless if they were Russian, German, Italien, Brittish or American. However all armies committed war crimes. The bombing of Dresden and other German civel centers during the end of WWII. There was an interview years ago on Dutch television where a former staff member explained that they bombed Dresden not because it had any stratigic value but just because they coud. By the end of WWII bomber command in the UK was a well oiled machine that was working at top speed. Since the Luftwaffe was gone they could chose any city and bomb it back to the stone age.

OldIronsides #10 Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Beta Tester
  • 4297 battles
  • 1,482
  • Member since:
    10-04-2010

View Post7049, on 12 December 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

Personally I believe that anyone individual can be a hero. Regardless if they were Russian, German, Italien, Brittish or American. However all armies committed war crimes. The bombing of Dresden and other German civel centers during the end of WWII. There was an interview years ago on Dutch television where a former staff member explained that they bombed Dresden not because it had any stratigic value but just because they coud.

Much debated topic. Dresden indeed was a strategically importan hub for transporting troops and materials to and from the eastern front. If that was the main reason for the bombardment... different views, different statements from people involved, highly ideological topic.

Verdius #11 Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

    Private

  • Player
  • 2424 battles
  • 13
  • Member since:
    07-15-2011
Does it realy have to be a "who was the worst contest"? The militairy of both sides had immoral a-holes and both sides had people who acted very bravely and admirably (Kurt Knispel is the first name i can think of for the germans). In the end there has never been a war without war crimes. In the end it is just two sides who both think (mostly) that they are fighting for a just cause and/or protect their home and family. That or they are conscripted against their will, in which case it just sucks. War never is as easy as being good vs evil.

JustARandomOne #12 Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 33237 battles
  • 767
  • [-PGC-] -PGC-
  • Member since:
    03-03-2012

View PostOldIronsides, on 12 December 2012 - 05:03 PM, said:

Much debated topic. Dresden indeed was a strategically importan hub for transporting troops and materials to and from the eastern front. If that was the main reason for the bombardment... different views, different statements from people involved, highly ideological topic.

Im reading many books about the Luftwaffe (german airforce), it's a hobby of mine... and one of this books is from Galland (luftwaffe general). In his book he explains a lot about the bombing of english and german cities (with some sources of british and american airforce generals).
One passage was about Dresden.
Dresden wasn't bombed because of military targets, the bombers didnt attacked important targets, such as factories or infrastructure, they bombed the historical city centers in Dresden and all other german citys to destroy the cities and kill the people, ~ 90% of british bombs were cities and its people.

In a nutshell you could say that the americans bombed factories etc. on day and the british bombed the cities in the night.

Lancasthor #13 Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Beta Tester
  • 19045 battles
  • 586
  • Member since:
    10-11-2010
Can't judge a man for fighting proudly for what he believes is right.

Yamaxanadu #14 Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 1215 battles
  • 5,031
  • Member since:
    10-07-2011
The funny thing is that during "liberation" USSR troops were martial courted even more when they retreated at the early stages of war. But as far as I know nothing really serious didn't happened. And the funny thing was said once to my boss when he was in German. The old man said one thing: "I hate both of you, Allies and Soviets. But at least I respect Soviets who didn't bombed cities to ashes like the US and UK did. Even though you had much more rights to do it..."

View PostVerdius, on 21 December 2012 - 12:03 AM, said:

Does it realy have to be a "who was the worst contest"? The militairy of both sides had immoral a-holes and both sides had people who acted very bravely and admirably (Kurt Knispel is the first name i can think of for the germans). In the end there has never been a war without war crimes. In the end it is just two sides who both think (mostly) that they are fighting for a just cause and/or protect their home and family. That or they are conscripted against their will, in which case it just sucks. War never is as easy as being good vs evil.
Only Nazi German has immoral deeds as moral deeds...

Ubertoaster #15 Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 15900 battles
  • 824
  • [TAHK] TAHK
  • Member since:
    05-12-2011
So in the time spent with my grandfather around the holidays, I asked about my other relatives: turns out that I only knew that particular story I wrote down on the 2nd comment.

My other Great-grandfather in my father's line was beaten to death by the communists after Bulgaria was "liberated", because he was the mayor of the village - he was called a fascist and then beaten in front of a crowd of people, including his wife.

My Great-grandfather in my mother's line was used as cannon fodder, because he fought the partisans. He was captured by the Germans and when the war ended, thankfully he returned unharmed.

My forth Great-grandfather wasn't involved in the war or politics, so no stories for him.

Yamaxanadu #16 Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:52 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 1215 battles
  • 5,031
  • Member since:
    10-07-2011

View PostUbertoaster, on 28 December 2012 - 10:42 PM, said:

So in the time spent with my grandfather around the holidays, I asked about my other relatives: turns out that I only knew that particular story I wrote down on the 2nd comment.

My other Great-grandfather in my father's line was beaten to death by the communists after Bulgaria was "liberated", because he was the mayor of the village - he was called a fascist and then beaten in front of a crowd of people, including his wife.

My Great-grandfather in my mother's line was used as cannon fodder, because he fought the partisans. He was captured by the Germans and when the war ended, thankfully he returned unharmed.

My forth Great-grandfather wasn't involved in the war or politics, so no stories for him.
One veteran told me this (when I asked about WW2): "There is nothing to be proud about wars... The true identity of an individual are revealed... I had killed some of my friends with whom I fought from 42 because they did something that I couldn't accept. I hope you will never participate in the war..."

Jukelo #17 Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:06 AM

    Colonel

  • Beta Tester
  • 26487 battles
  • 3,608
  • Member since:
    08-13-2010

View PostUbertoaster, on 28 December 2012 - 10:42 PM, said:

So in the time spent with my grandfather around the holidays, I asked about my other relatives: turns out that I only knew that particular story I wrote down on the 2nd comment.
[...stuff...]
My forth Great-grandfather wasn't involved in the war or politics, so no stories for him.


Posted Image

Leliushenko #18 Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:37 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 35199 battles
  • 282
  • Member since:
    02-09-2011
First of all in wars, as in real life, there are never the pure white and the midnight black. In every war both parts commit crimes.
The thesis that the Wermacht and the soviet army are the same ( and of course their regimes) is a recent one ( only 10 years). This thesis has it's supporters. Mostly those who forget who start the WW II ( and the WW I). Wikipedia says that the number of deaths ( WW II )reached the 100 millions.
Oh, yes, sir "bomber" Harris bombed Dresten, but Richthofen was the first at Quernika ( remember Rotterdam, London, Belgade, Warsow, Stalingrad ect,ect). Yes, the soviets killed Polish officers at Katyn, but have you ever try to read the " General Plan Ost"? Yes, the americans dropped the atomic bomb with no reason, but they didn't make any Holocaust.
You see it's a matter of scale.

Yamaxanadu #19 Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:35 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 1215 battles
  • 5,031
  • Member since:
    10-07-2011

View PostLeliushenko, on 29 December 2012 - 01:37 AM, said:

First of all in wars, as in real life, there are never the pure white and the midnight black. In every war both parts commit crimes.
The thesis that the Wermacht and the soviet army are the same ( and of course their regimes) is a recent one ( only 10 years). This thesis has it's supporters. Mostly those who forget who start the WW II ( and the WW I). Wikipedia says that the number of deaths ( WW II )reached the 100 millions.
Oh, yes, sir "bomber" Harris bombed Dresten, but Richthofen was the first at Quernika ( remember Rotterdam, London, Belgade, Warsow, Stalingrad ect,ect). Yes, the soviets killed Polish officers at Katyn, but have you ever try to read the " General Plan Ost"? Yes, the americans dropped the atomic bomb with no reason, but they didn't make any Holocaust.
You see it's a matter of scale.
Well, not the scale but doctrine. And basically I can't say that Wermacht soldier was worser or better than any Allied or Soviet one in General. SS division are mostly responsible for most of Nazi German warcrimes.

Leliushenko #20 Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 35199 battles
  • 282
  • Member since:
    02-09-2011
My friend Yamaxanadu the SS responsibility for all the executions is a german ( Cold War times ) myth. The executions at Boby Yiar, near Kiev, were made by execution battalions of Einsatzgruppen and troops from the german 6th Army ( destroyed at Stalingrad). The slaughter of the italians POW in Kefalonia ( 4.500 men) was made by members of the 1st mountain division. The execution of 700 civilians at Kalavrita ( Greece) from the 117 light division. From the 5.3 millions of soviet POW 3,7 died. Only the SS must be blamed for this?




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users